May

Thursday Night Open Thread

The Yankees are off today and will welcome the Athletics to the Bronx for a three-game weekend series starting tomorrow — mid-homestand off-days are always weird, no? — so this is a good chance to get away from baseball for a night. I know that’s what I’ll be doing. The more I write about the game, the Yankees or just in general, the more I appreciate the time away.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Mets are off, but MLB Network will air the Nationals and Braves (Haren vs. Medlen). The Nets and Rangers are both playing playoff games tonight, and if the Nets lose, they go home. Talk about those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

I wrote this today, and the video is too good not to share even if it has nothing to do with the Yankees.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Bob Buttons says:

GO RANGERS (of New York. Texas can burn.)!

2. trr says:

no game tonight….and i miss it!
    it must finally be spring. I’ll just sit back and enjoy our great start.
    Who da thunk it?

3. Pseudoyanks says:

Haha I never through a no hitter on the stuff. ;)

4. Pseudoyanks says:

Oops *threw.

5. Dalek Jeter says:

As somebody who has ahem… experimented with the world of hallucinogenics, I can not imagine being able to focus enough to throw a single pitch for a strike in a stadium filled with a whole bunch of colours and noises, let alone throw a no-no.

• Pseudoyanks says:

I couldn’t even throw a Frisbee.

• jjyank says:

Neither can I. I got scared shitless of the lights on a water tower one time. I couldn’t imagine being in a stadium.

• Dalek Jeter says:

And I just thought…the people!!! Even if it was a 2013 Marlins game…there’d be like 3000 people in the stands. Focused. On you. I would crawl into the fetal position and wait for it to be over. which might have been what I did the first time I tried ‘shrooms when I got home

• jjyank says:

I always did it at night. Never many people around. But yeah, I can imagine being around that many people would be…disconcerting.

• Dalek Jeter says:

The first time I tried it was Saint Patty’s day 2011. Originally we were doing nothing, then my friend is like “oh hey let’s go to a bar.” I’ll never remember how we got there, seeing as how our driver trippin too…but Link from Zelda served us drinks. I drank green beer, and everything was going great. Until I had the feeling that literally everybody in the bar knew exactly what I was doing. I completely flipped out and went home. Had a conversation with my mom who sounded like the grown up from the Peanuts cartoon, and laid under my covers until I started to come down a bit and eventually passed out.

• jjyank says:

Hah. I never had a freak out moment, but my best friend did. It’s a really long story though, I won’t lay it all out here.

• Dalek Jeter says:

In retrospect I must have looked like a complete psycho. Because before I left my buddy convinced me to just go outside and have a cigarette. I was sitting on the curb hugging my knees muttering to him “I can’t go back in there man…I can’t. Link knows. That old guy knows…they all know man I can’t.”

• Pseudoyanks says:

’92 March full moon over Big Bend national park with my 3 best friends from childhood. Prefer the organic pizza toppings to paper these days.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’ve honestly never tried the paper, but I would like to. And I love the “organic pizza toppings” however, everytime I’ve tried them they were ground into chocolate.

• Pseudoyanks says:

That works. I’m going to Denver for Yankee series on Tuesday. Should find some treats in Colorado. Hitting games 2 & 3.

• The Real Me says:

I’ll be at the Wednesday night and Thursday games. Good seats for both. Fortunately (or unfortunately, I’m not really sure), I wasn’t called away for business in Poland next week. Would have been interesting, but I would have missed the games. I do, however, enjoy getting to see [places I’ve never been to when work is paying for it. :-)

• Rolling Doughnut says:

I did blotter once and my friends told me I spent a few hours combing the rug supposedly looking for my keys. I also kept asking if I looked like the Michelin man. Shrooms are, I mean, were much better.

• Bobtaco says:

The shrooms last a lot shorter, and are easier to come down from in my experience. The acid is more of a physical commitment, 10 – 12 hours minimum. It’s been awhile, but it seems like when Jerry Garcia died and the Dead stopped touring, the entire support system for that stuff dried up… Especially the paper.

The funny thing about Doc Ellis is that the acid back then was a lot stronger, so it makes the no hitter even more impressive.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Because they were real men back then and we’re a bunch of pansies.

In my singular experience in them, I was able to focus enough to not act like I was tripping balls whenever I saw a cop.

• Barry says:

I find psychoactive drugs to be very focusing. Enough that I caught that little thing that always floats around in your vision.. then was sad that I popped it. Plus playing Madden on shrooms, well time was just slowing down.. crrrrrrrrrrrazy

6. RetroRob says:

I demand that MLBN replay the LSD game. I’d watch. Trippin’ Tuesday on MLBN.

7. Dalek Jeter says:

Slayer’s Jeff Hannerman passed away this morning. Sad day for Metalheads.

• MannyGeee says:

And that kid from Kriss Kross died yesterday too, didn’t he? Debbie Gibson and all them dudes from Flock of Seagulls better watch their shit, because you know these things happen in 3′s…

8. Rolling Doughnut says:

Actually, he had taken LSD like 10 hours before the game but was still “coming down”. He walked 8 and hit 2, and was quoted to say a one point, he thought he was pitching to Jimi Hendrix, who was swinging, naturally enough, a Stratocaster.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Still though, in the come down, you can turn your head weird or something and it comes back in full effect for like ten minutes. As evidenced by the pitching to Jimi.

• jjyank says:

Buddy of mine had flashbacks even years later. He once overturned my coffee table in our senior year house for absolutely no reason (other than him having a flashback).

• Dalek Jeter says:

Damn. I never had an experience of somebody getting violent, then again we all researched whatever we tried a lot beforehand so we were aware it might happen. I smoked some shit laced with LSD once, and every so often I’ll turn my head funny and be stoned for like fifteen minutes. The first few times it was terrifying, but now I almost welcome it when it happens.

• jjyank says:

Well, he did a LOT of acid back in the day, before I knew him. Your average bear wouldn’t have that happen to him.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I can’t imagine doing any hallucinogenic too many times. I mean I love ‘Shrooms, I’ve done them like 4 times…maybe it’s because of my age, but I can’t ever imagine doing them again unless the situation was perfect. Also…how can you find enough 8-14 hour blocks to do acid “A LOT” of times?!

• jjyank says:

He was a great guy and calmed down a lot by the time he transfered to my school…but he was a pretty big time dealer in Chicago beforehand. So if you don’t have a real job, I’m sure you can find the time.

• Dave says:

Dalek…ive deon shrooms myself maybe 6-8 times and ‘cid another half dozen so in regards to finding that much time to to trip, heres my answer. I was college or at a phish concert hahaha. Thats pretty much the only way to find the time. Plus the whole trip may last 8-10 hours but i’d say the time your only really tripping, the rest you can sorta function all right :)

• Dave says:

BTW Dalek, you wanna hear about the most effed up hallucinogen out there? Look up DMT! Only lasts a couple minutes but its basically and Alien abduction in your brain lol…Never done it but all my friends who have had said Aliens and crazy creatures and lots of them lol. It supposed releases a chemical in your brain that is only released at your birth and your death, so it’s a near death experience..supposedly. And on wikipedia some doctor or scientist thinks that DMT or the chemical it releases could be responsible for people who have claimed they’ve been abducted by aliens! Def google it, it’s quite a good read.

• jjyank says:

I’ve done DMT. Its not that weird. You trip balls for about 5 minutes, but that’s it. No aliens.

• Bobtaco says:

That’s if you smoke it. Still worth doing. ;-)

However, in the Dr. Rick Straussman experiments they administered it intravenously… That way, aliens and gnomes.

• Pseudoyanks says:

Never had a flashback. Personally believe it’s a myth like the G-Spot and vampire slayers.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Vampire Slayers are real. Also, LSD flashbacks are legit. Something in the chemical compound causes it to secrete into your spinal fluid where it can lay dormant forever, however when you crack your back or strain it in someway causing the transfer or leak of a small amount of the fluid it’s transferred into the bloodstream and sent to your brain where it has the same effect it would have if you just imbibed is.

As for the G-Spot….

• Pseudoyanks says:

Well, hopefully you’re right and I have a fortuitous back cracking event on the horizon.

• The Real Me says:

My female “friend” guarantees the G-Spot is real. I’ve, uh, well, she tells me that someone helped her find it. ;-)

• The Real Me says:

I can’t vouch for flashbacks. Hallucinogens weren’t my thing. Tried a few things a few times and that was enough. Of course, that was many years ago, before you all were born. :-)

• Dave says:

The spine thing is a myth. There is not one single study that has even stated or proven that. When LSD is taken it does go throughout your central nervous system which is prob where the myth/rumor came from. Not trying to be a dick, just letting you and others know that it isnt true. Ive done it about a half dozen times, love it each time. Also never had a flashback nor known anyone who has had one, but I wont call that a myth bc I can def see someone who has done it enough could get a quick flashback once and awhile..cheers!

• jjyank says:

Well you called it a myth while also acknowledging that it can happen…so I don’t see your point here.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

He didn’t call it a myth. He said that it was a myth that any chemicals are stored in your spinal cord. He did NOT say that flashbacks, as such, were myths.

I never did any type of drugs and due to possible reaction with real meds I’ve never even had alcohol, so this entire conversation is just totally foreign and absolutely fascinating to me.

• Now Batting says:

Ya the myth about your body storing LSD that can be released later is pure bullshit. There is something called hallucinogen persisting perception disorder caused by PTSD or a change in your brain chemistry. I did it plenty in college with friends who are also analytical minded professionals today and none of us have had it. Space cases will vehemently disagree but they aren’t the brightest people.

• jjyank says:

Oh, they’re real. Trust me.

• Rolling Doughnut says:

Indeed. It may even have made him more focused, in a weird sort of way.

9. Mattinglyfan03 says:

I’ll be getting away from baseball for the night by seeing Iron Man 3! Really excited!

10. Alkaline says:

Evening everyone. I just want to ask Eddard about Phelps striking out 15 Astros yesterday….or something like that.

• MannyGeee says:

No shit huh… It reads like a ‘caveat emptor’ handbook. That franchise is messy…

• Opus says:

They have that reverse Midas touch where they take talent and make it no-talent.

Of course, I went right for the Montero section and they’ve already decided he ain’t sticking around much longer as their catcher. And he’s currently at .212/.264/.348. And he was the worst baserunner in the game last year. And he has “questionable work ethic.”

But he’s nowhere near as bad as Smoak has been.

11. Alkaline says:

Alright, I really, really want to see Wang in pinstripes this year. But, I hate that means something else with our pitching went wrong.

12. Dalek Jeter says:

In non-drug related news/banter: I finally have a chance to win my first fantasy match-up, I’m currently up 9-6 with sizable leads in hits, IP, K’s, and Batting Average while being tied in Runs and in striking distance to take SLGing (currently down .001).

13. Wheels says:

On the Mets channel SNY, they are replaying the first Yankees-Mets interleague game from June of 1997 at Yankee Stadium. Andy Pettite is the pitcher, and a young Derek Jeter at short. Good stuff

14. Chief Wahoo says:

Nick McCoy catching in Trenton tonight. What the heck just happened? Did they pluck him from the hotel in Lakewood from the Riverdogs?

Where’s Murphy?

15. Get Phelps Up says:

Clicking through the archives out of boredom has resulted in me finding out that just 3 game threads have more comments than that first A-Rod steroids thread from January.