May

Tempering expectations for David Adams

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

Chris Nelson‘s brief tenure in pinstripes has come to a rather unceremonious end. Kevin Youkilis and Alex Rodriguez continue their respective paths to recovery. All of this adds up to a golden opportunity for rookie third baseman David Adams to showcase his skills for fans and scouts alike.

Adams, who was drafted in the third round by the Yankees back in 2008, has had some positive moments during his time in the minors. In 2012 he hit .306/.385/.450 (.377 wOBA, 133 wRC+) over 383 plate appearances with the Yankees AA affiliate after missing substantial time during the couple years prior. Up until a few nights ago when he got the call from the Yankees, he was hitting a fairly gaudy .316/.407/.490 (.407 wOBA, 153 wRC+) over 113 plate appearances in AAA. What’s more, the kid managed to get a hit during his big league debut and doubled in a run in his second game. Unfortunately, as I alluded too in Thursday’s RAB Live Chat and in the post’s title, my expectations for Adams are fairly tempered. Here’s why I think yours should be too.

1. It’s really hard to succeed in the Major Leagues in general. It’s really, really hard to sustain success once you do succeed. It’s especially hard for a young (and in this case, non-elite) prospect to join a MLB franchise and immediately have an impact with sustained success — especially when said player knows he’s probably a stopgap (though with Youk and A-Rod, the timetable may prove more substantial). This first point is kind of obvious, but I feel as though it’s still a point we fail to remember all too often regardless of the player’s pedigree.

2. Offensively, Adams displayed an advanced approach at the plate with good gap power during his time in the minors. He won’t be facing minor league pitchers anymore though. He’ll be facing experienced arms, and he’ll have to make the necessary adjustments as his weaknesses get exposed. This is not to say he can’t or won’t have an effective bat, just that we shouldn’t be overly surprised if his production deflates. One need only remember Jesus Montero for an example of an offensively potent minor leaguer who has been unable to adjust. Small mechanical flaws become big points of vulnerability. It happens, and it happens more often than not.

3. Adams was recruited as an above-average second baseman defensively. The ankle injuries have robbed him of his mobility, so much so the team moved him to third (although that may have also been partially influenced by A-Rod’s injury), where’s he’s also viewed as defensively mediocre if not substandard. If Adams struggles at the plate, his defense will be that much more important, and unfortunately for him, that much more scrutinized. The Yankees cannot afford to have a black hole in the line up — they’ll need Adams to prove himself capable at least in this department.

Note by Mike: I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Adams’ defense so far. He’s no Adrian Beltre, but he’s been rock solid. At this point he’s probably the best defensive third baseman in the organization.

4. The injuries scare the crap out of me, quite frankly. Basically, since joining the organization, Adams has had a hell of a time staying on the field. Aside from showing dubious durability, he’s missed valuable developmental time — so much so the Yankees released him altogether to make room on the roster for Vernon Wells. In fact, at one point, he was playing four games in a row with a day off on the fifth during his time in the minors. The daily grind won’t get any easier with the Yankees. If he’s going to obtain a contract with a Major League team, he’s going to need prove himself capable of staying on the field — a trait often underappreciated.

Now, please don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to come across as completely bearish on Adams. As I noted above, he does have a solid approach at the plate, and the team will give him every opportunity to succeed. Plus he seems like a fun player to root for. Frankly, I hope he proves me dead wrong and thrives because that’d be awesome; it’d give the team options to consider on a lot of different levels. The point I’m trying to make here is that we shouldn’t endorse one of our home grown kids too heartily until he has some time to establish himself — honestly, the same should probably be said about all prospects in general.

Categories : Players

1. mike myers says:

so you’re saying he is going to be an all star within 2 years….sweet.

• mustang (The Has Been & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

EXACTLY.

Because look at all the lofty expectations for Montero and how it has turn out SO FAR.

You can have an educated guess at best, but no one can definitively predict this stuff.

• Wolfgang's Fault says:

If only Mike would get someone to write a preview about how Adams will do w/the big club.

2. Andrew says:

So basically, don’t expect any prospect to be good, ever. Since every single prospect comes with potential flaws in their profiles, the Yankees and their fans shouldn’t get ahead of themselves and hope any of them can ever be good Major Leaguers. Maybe this site should just reduce Down on the Farm to one elite prospect from some other org since no NY prospect can ever be good. Or maybe this site should just log off.

• Frankie says:

I must agree, this was a pretty Debbie Downer post about Adams… Let’s hope he doesn’t read RAB, he might throw himself off the 4 train on the way to the game tonight.

• Matt Warden says:

Andrew/Frankie — my intention in writing this post wasn’t to send more fans to the ledge, so apologies if it bummed you guys out.

The reason I wrote it is I’ve heard plenty of fans — and even Michael Kay the last few nights — get really excited about this kid. The point here is to try and stay level-headed and objective about these young players. That way when they succeed right out the gate, we don’t panic the first time they slump, and when they inevitably struggle, we don’t freak out with unrealistic expectations.

• MannyGeee says:

THIS. Even John Sterling called him a “Major Elite Prospect in the Yankees Organization….” the other night. Seemed like a reach.

• emac2 says:

Good thinking.

Some people think this is all fun and games and forget these guys are warriors laying there lives on the line for their cities honor.

Sometimes when someone smiles at me I just want to slap them and help them reset their expectations. The world needs more people like us to help people from getting too excited.

• Andrew says:

I fully understand the need to keep a level head about prospects, and Adams in particular given his injury history and lack of monumental upside now that he’s primarily a 3B.

But I also fail to see how it’s necessary to tell people to remain level headed to the extent of your post when a) the guy has a grand total of two games worth of ABs under his belt and b) there doesn’t seem to be a huge groundswell of hype around him.

This isn’t a Hughes/Joba situation where their ascent was hailed as the coming of “next great Yankees” due to mountains of hype. He’s a quality player that has hit in his entire (albeit sporadic due to injury) minor league career and he might be able to be a useful roleplayer with the big club. I just fail to see the need to alert everyone to pump their brakes when the player in question is David Adams.

• Havok9120 says:

“Doesn’t seem to be a huge groundswell of hype” is just plain wrong. Did you not SEE the reaction when he got released? Or the reaction when wasn’t called up immediately to replace Youk? Or even just the mob of people who always think “the kids” can outplay any of those bums that have been in the MLB for the last 5-15 years?

• Jd says:

Matt,
          Your intentions are right, but the fact is that there isn’t that much hype about Adams. I don’t know what you really want to down play. Also, while your article purports to have four points, points 1&2 are redundant and not particularly insightful. Likewise, points 3 & 4 are the same, I.e, injuries.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That is not at all what he wrote. That’s what you choose to interpret.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Well, you really shouldn’t expect a prospect to be good. You can hope they’ll be good, but no one really knows how they’ll do until they’re playing and producing in the MLB.

Incidentally, that’s why the “We should trade Robbie/Grandy/Everyone for prospects” people are idiots, because it is far more likely that any prospect we receive in return for a good to great player will be worse than the player we trade than it is that they will be better.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Uhh not shit. No one claims you’re going to get equal value..The point of accumulating the prospects is because since they are destined to fail, the more lottery tickets you have the better the chances of hitting.

Trading Cano would be stupid yes. Like with Hughes I don’t get why Grandy is regarded as a core player on this team. Literally his only skill is hitting for power. He’s league average at getting on base and his defense has been inconsistent but trending on the side of bad.

His WAR since 2009 has been admittedly good but generally overrated.
        2009: 2.6
        2010: 3.5
        2011: 6.7
        2012: 2.3

Yet when referring to Grandy everyone views him as if 2011 never ended. Unless you people forgot there’s a budget and the Yankees are not going to overpay for Granderson. So it comes down to whether or not you want lottery tickets or an extra half season for Granderson. The prospects may bust but please you’re losing 1-2 WAR at most. No need to overdramatize it.

Of course keeping him to make a playoff run is a good move too but trading him is the furthest thing from stupid you can get…I mean I don’t know why you want to live in 2011 we didn’t win that year.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I guess it’s a good thing that hitting for power is the second most important skill a hitter can have then, isn’t it? If you lose Grandy, you’re losing one of the few power bats on your team and sacrificing lineup balance. It’s the same reason it was stupid for AZ to trade away all of their non-Goldschmidt power bats last year.

And I think Grandy was underrated by fWAR last year. His defense wasn’t good, but it wasn’t eye-gougingly awful, either. I’d put him much closer to -10 than -18, maybe even a little under that.

• Havok9120 says:

Grandy is considered “core” insofar as he is because Ben Francisco and Jayson Nix have been getting far too many ABs in the top half of the lineup and no one else is healthy. And, oh yeah, power is one of the two or three most valuable skills a player can have these days.

Not to mention that describing the returns for Hughes/Grandy/Joba as “lottery tickets” is vastly overstating what you’re likely to get for a bunch of rentals coming off injuries.

• Ghost of Joe Dugan says:

The problem with your argument is that if the Yanks did trade, “Robbie/Grandy/Everyone”, then they free up tons of available payroll to spend on free agents next year to add to the talent they pick up in the trades. Including those FA’s they just traded, (if you want to keep them so bad), unless they sign an extension with their new club.

I love Robbie but a 6-8 year deal would be just another case of paying future $’s for past production. In 3-5 years Robbie will most likely be about average but he’ll be paid like a superstar.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Know the funny thing about all those free agents next year?

Every single one of them is worse at baseball than Robinson Cano.

• Havok9120 says:

A) I completely agree with what CLS said above me here.

B) No, trading them doesn’t “clear payroll.” They’re going to be FAs after the season anyway.

3. Dalek Jeter says:

Before reading this, I have next to no expectations for young Mr. Adams(because I know nothing about him besides he plays 3B primarily and he hits right handed)…now lets read this article and see if I should be excited.

• Dalek Jeter says:

So…he’s going to be an injury prone Jayson Nix. My expectations literally can not get lower after reading this article Matt. I guess that’s good for David because now he doesn’t have to do much to impress me.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He’s a hell of a lot better than Jayson Nix.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Is he? We don’t know yet.

It almost doesn’t matter whether he is. He’s certainly not going to play SS, which is where Nix is needed most right now, so it doesn’t matter.

Nix is playing far too often and is being very much exposed, but he’s the best healthy SS option, even from an offensive standpoint, in this organization right now.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Well, two years ago Nix had worse raw numbers as a 28 year old in the PCL than Adams did as a 26 year old in the IL over a similar sample size. So, yes, I’d say that Adams is a better hitter than Nix.

• MannyGeee says:

Nope. You’re saying that Nix was “worse” than Adams at arbitrary points in their careers. You could say that Nix is better than Adams now, but that won’t fit the narrative.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

What I’m saying is that Adams has outhit Nix at every level of professional baseball, often while playing at a younger age, and that I expect that to continue.

• emac2 says:

Some people insist that unless you touch the flame you simply cannot be 100% sure of anything. Giving them information just confuses them more.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Which has nothing to do with anything anyone else said here other than you trying to fan non-existent flames.

• vicki says:

i feel like the entire post was designed to do just that. it’s a time-wasting exercise.

some people think it’s healthier to moderate expectations. others, like me, can afford eternal optimism. because when people – sports idols, real life people too – don’t live up to promise it doesn’t devastate me. i think there are a lot of very young, or at least emotionally juvenile, dudes around here. follow baseball enough years and you learn disappointment is built into the season. lotta life lessons there.

and if you don’t remember the yankees before the dynasty years you haven’t really sucked the best lessons out of the game.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Totally fair of you to believe that, and not far-fetched.

What I was saying was slightly different, though, and that was that I think Nix’s most useful position right now is SS so that whether Adams is beter or not doesn’t really matter. They’re both likely to be on the field at the same time.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

You’re absolutely right, I just think that Adams is gonna steal Nix’s playing time once Nunez gets healthy.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m with CLS here. There’s absolutely no reason to believe Adams will not be an offensive improvement on Nix at 3B.

4. Monty says:

The kid has looked pretty solid so far. If he can keep his back and ankles healthy, establish himself as a decent .275 hitter, I’d be more than happy with his production. You gotta have something to look forward to.. How much more of Nixy looking at called strike 3 can we really take?

5. Stooges says:

As someone who has followed David Adams for years, he is the definition of hard work. This guy simply works his butt off to be the best player he can be so if (big IF) he can stay healthy I don’t see a reason why he can’t be an effective big leaguer. I don’t mean that he is the next coming of Adrian Beltre but he should be effective both at the plate and in the field (he plays a solid 3B and it isn’t a small sample because he did the same things at Scranton Wilkes-Barre this year).

What are the other options anyway? If the Yankees aren’t planning on trading for Chase Headley or another 3B, Adams is probably the main guy in 2014. A-Rod definitely isn’t and who knows if he is even going to make it back this year or ever. I don’t think the Yankees can afford to trade away high end prospects for one big name player right now so I don’t see a Headley move on the horizon. They need more than just one position player. Clearly the Yankees are good at developing talent because there’s plenty of Yankee produced talent in the majors.

Adams is a professional hitter and he does make adjustments in his approach against pitchers as well. The only thing I have with him is the constant injuries which have to concern any Yankee fan. Other than that this guy should get the chance to play 3B, every day in 2014. Youkilis will be that guy this year. I still believe Adams is better off developing in the MLB now than being sent back to AAA where he won’t really be gaining anything other than more time to improve his 3B defense.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Adams is probably the main guy in 2014. A-Rod definitely isn’t and who knows if he is even going to make it back this year or ever. ”

Apparently you do, since you said Alex definitely isn’t.

They’re all professional hitters. Ben Francisco is a professional hitter. Cito Culver is a professional hitter. I’d say Adams still far from fits the Waldman definition of the term.

I have no issue with people rooting for him. I sure am. I have no issue with people believing in him. Counting on a slow-rising minor leaguer with an injury history and limited mobility to be a solid everyday major leaguer? Silly as hell.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

To be fair, he’s only been a slow riser because of that injury history. He hasn’t been one of those guys who needs a year to adjust to every level; he just hits.

• Stooges says:

Have you seen David Adams play other than 2 days? If not then you really have no business comparing David Adams to Ben Francisco and Cito Culver. There is no way A-Rod can be counted on for anything other than a part time role at 3B. Adams will probably be the primary 3B if the Yankees don’t pursue any other players via trade (slim chance of that happening).

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

He’s not comparing Adams to Culver. He’s just commenting on the inanity of your use of the term “professional hitter,” as anyone who is paid to play baseball at any level is, by definition, a “professional hitter.”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Nice talking to you. Learn English.

• Stooges says:

Not sure why you have to pick on that term but whatever. If your life is limited to following RAB threads and picking on certain terms then by all means go ahead and feel free to pick away.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Have you seen David Adams play other than 2 days? If not then you really have no business comparing David Adams to Ben Francisco and Cito Culver.”

Pot. Kettle.

6. W.B. Mason Williams says:

I think we’re overdue for a prospect to overcome his scouting report. It really hasn’t happened since Cano came out of nowhere. Gardner looks like he’s going to be replacement level for his career, especially once the speed tapers off in the next few years. I want Adams to be very good. Great seems out of the question, but I want him to be successful enough to stick at 3B.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

“Gardner looks like he’s going to be replacement level for his career”

He’s already been worth 1 fWAR this year despite a slumping bat…

• W.B. Mason Williams says:

Fair point, I was speaking offensively. His glove is obviously top shelf.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, I think he’s a 90-100 wRC+ type of guy, but considering his speed and all-world defense he’s still a pretty valuable piece.

• MannyGeee says:

“I think we’re overdue for a prospect to overcome his scouting report. It really hasn’t happened since Cano came out of nowhere. ”

THIS.

• pat says:

David Robertson?

7. hogsmog says:

Did I miss something? I didn’t feel like there was that much hype about Adams at all, more like “let’s squeeze what we can out of this at-least-as-good-as-Nelson player while he’s healthy”.

• mitch says:

Agreed. I don’t think anyone is expecting him to become Evan Longoria. Hell, it was only a few weeks ago when they released him and i had completely written him off in my head. I’d personally be thrilled if he can give them average production as a month-long stop gap and then become a solid bench player.

8. Stooges says:

I hope RAB avoids these types of posts on tempering expectations. This type of post can be said for any young player because all of them have similar flaws except for a very small minute percentage of minor leaguers.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think they’re important because a few too many readers (and I guess all fans) tend to expect guys to come up and be All Stars. I mean, Montero was talked about on these boards as the right handed Babe Ruth who could catch. People wanted/still want Cashman’s head Ned Stark style for trading him.

• MannyGeee says:

Yup, it was hari kari around here the week he was almost gone for Cliff Lee. Similar to the tsunami that hit the RABs the day Cashman traded for Vernon Wells(!) and actually had to pay some of his contract…

9. Klemy says:

I don’t feel like I need to temper my expectations, because I just want him to be better than our current options playing while Youk and ARod are out. If he can’t do that, well…I can’t say I’m shocked, but I will be okay with saying bye-bye.

10. Cool Lester Smooth says:

I’m actually really bullish on David Adams. The kid can just flat out hit. He has a good approach and has enough pop to keep pitchers honest. When I’ve watched him he just sprays line drives everywhere.

I really wouldn’t be surprised by a .340+ wOBA if he plays for the next month or so.

• Matt Warden says:

No offense CLS, but this is exactly why I wrote this post.

Can you guess who on the team has a .340+ wOBA right now?

Travis Hafner
      Vernon Wells
      Francisco Cervelli (sss)
      Robinson Cano
      Curtis Granderson (sss)

If we discount the guys with the SSS, we’re down to 3 players (though Grandy will probably make the cut once the dust settles). We should be surprised if Adams can jump right in and do it. We should expect something more realistic, and be okay with that.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

And I’m saying that Adams is a better hitter than any of the players on the team with a sub-.340 wOBA (with the exception of Youk, who was playing injured and over a small sample, and Overbay, who is 36 and physically incapable of hitting left handed pitching).

• MannyGeee says:

This post was apparently written specifically for you.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Shit man, sorry for being bullish on a guy who has had success at every level of the minors and has a damn similar profile to other players who have seemingly “come out of nowhere” to be productive big leaguers.

He’s actually got a damn similar offensive profile to Tyler Austin, and everyone is slobbering all over him.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Also, I qualified my post by saying that I’m bullish on him. I recognized that my opinion is pretty optimistic.

• trr says:

nothing wrong with optimism. I think everyone hopes that he exceeds expectations.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hey, I hope he goes into the HOF in pinstripes.

You have every right to be bullish. I defend Jayson Nix on here, for God’s sake.

• WhittakerWalt says:

And we love you for it.
            Honestly I think it’s probably a lot easier to root for Nix if you don’t have to listen to the radio broadcasts like Dalek and I do. Oh, I’m sure the TV guys blow smoke up his ass too, but there’s no way it compares to the love-fest John and Suzyn give him every game. Any time he does something good (which is really not that often) the two of them explode with joy and talk about how “great” Nix is and how he always does something to help them win. Then when he has a game where he’s horrible (like last night) they don’t say a fucking peep.
            I’m not saying they should dog him out as often as we do, but FFS it’s embarrassing to listen to them.

11. Robinson Tilapia says:

Solid post, Matt. Almost even sad that it needed to be written.

I root for the kid. I remember seeing him in person playing short-season ball. That was a long time ago, though, and, while the bat seems to have stuck with him through every level, the injury history and mobility issues are slightly worrisome.

I have no issue with guys who don’t skyrocket off a season and, as we think we see with a Warren or Phelps, these one-year-at-a-level (or more) guys seem to project a poise younger players don’t once they get to the majors (or maybe we project that onto them because we know they’re older and want to see maturity in them – who knows.) I do think it’s a mistake to assume that, because you’ve seen them be steady for so long in the minors, it’s a lock for them to sustain that in the majors as well. A big one.

I hope Adams can contribute for this team moving forward. If he can learn some first base, and continues to hit, he could be a valuable piece these next few seasons backing up the non-SS infield positions, especially at the corners. Lord knows there will be enough at-bats to go around. Should we anoint this guy a sure thing because there’s an extra familiarity with him from watching him for a while now in our minor league system? Hell no.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“who don’t skyrocket off a season” = “who don’t skyrocket up a system”

My brain types faster than my hands sometimes.

12. trr says:

Still, if the team really viewed up as a solid MLB option, why did they release him in S/T?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I firmly believe it was a calculated move he was in on because of the roster crunch, and what was unexpected was that he would be needed before 5/15.

• trr says:

if so, then risky, but it paid off. I’m hoping David will be a solid contributor, at least until the injury wheel stops spinning

• pat says:

Handshake agreement.

13. Howard Cosell says:

The Best comparison for this kid is his counterpart these last 3 games :

KYLE SEAGER

WHICH AINT BAD….

14. Tags says:

Matt makes it sound as if Adams has had one injury after another thoughout his minor league career. The majority of the time lost was lost to a servere ankle injury. Aside from the injury in training camp that was pretty much it. I’ve seen him play 2nd base in Trenton and his fielding never worried me and all I saw the kid do is hit.

15. steves says:

I look into my historical Yankee crystal ball and I see Adams as the 21st Century reincarnation of Gil McDougal (5 rings, 10 years).

16. Stooges says:

I’ve watched a lot of Trenton Thunder games and fortunately being in the PA area so I’ve had a chance to watch Adams play in AAA too. He’s not limited by his ankle injury like he was a few years ago where he slowed down in the field. He’s a lot more agile now than he was last year. His best trait is his arm strength on defense and his throws are very accurate. He was awesome at turning DP’s at 2B but I haven’t seen him at 2B in a while though to tell you if he is good there now.

It’s easy to temper expectations on him because he gets injured often but the ankle was his major problem and he’s over that. I used “professional hitter” before as a term and maybe I will clarify that. He has that veteran approach at the plate (from what I’ve seen in the last 2 years). He doesn’t chase very often and he always seems to make hard contact on the ball.

These are just my observations. He may be a solid 3B for the Yankees if he’s given a shot. I don’t expect him to be an All-Star level player but he will be a fan favorite if he stays on the field. I watch Adams a lot & being a big Thunder/RailRiders fan I’ve enjoyed watching him in the minors. These are just my feelings and for the more educated baseball fans you can come to your own conclusions and feelings about him.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, I love David Adams. I really wouldn’t be that surprised by a Matt Carpenter/Martin Prado season out of him.

• Stooges says:

Yea. I don’t watch the Yankees play a lot (maybe 10-20 games a year) so I will miss David Adams. I’m fortunate enough to be in the Trenton/Scranton area a lot so I am more of a minor league fan. I remember watching Montero play and I never understood the hype at the time.

I hope he does well & sticks in the majors. It really looked like he had nothing left to do in AAA other than defense.

• Stooges says:

Take care, enjoy the season and hopefully he performs well.

• Rick says:

Can it really be said that his ankle injury is the reason the yanks shifted him to 3rd? I thought I had read (probably on this site) they moved him to 3rd to turn him into a utility IF. I have not seen a single report saying he was moved to 3rd because of the ankle injury.

• Havok9120 says:

No reports of that, no, but there have been plenty of reports that his 2B defense, and mobility in general, have been much reduced following the injuries. Tying the two together really isn’t a stretch.

17. Hassey says:

Just let me enjoy my baseball fantasies and stop trying to temper my expectations…that’s what my wife is for

18. vicki says:

did i miss something? where’s mike’s chat? i’m just not up for another random fabricated debate at the moment.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think he wasn’t able to do it today, so he did it yesterday.

• vicki says:

matt did it yesterday.

oh well.

• Matt Warden says:

Vicki — I’m trying to get in touch with Mike to see if he’s able to do it today. If not, perhaps I can do another one if you’re you all are still in the mood.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Going above and beyond in the workplace, Matt, is not recommended. We’re just going to expect for you to do a chat EVERY DAY.

BTW, I normally read over the chats after they’re done, and I really liked your style with them. Very conversational stuff. Keep up the great work.

• Matt Warden says:

Haha, thanks! Just trying my best to do right for the site and its readership. RAB is my favorite Yankee website and I feel privaledged to help out. Mike has spoiled us with quality and quanity for some time now.

Glad you enjoy the chats. I’ve always enjoyed them too!

• Havok9120 says:

You could get super ambitious and do a game chat for a little while. Those are usually a good time.

19. LarryM Fl says:

Mike I agree with most of your report on David Adams. It started out as a Debbie Downer but its your column and opinion. The two games at third to me indicate a defensive player who can field the position adequately without being a burden in the field. I like his bat. The Mariner closer was hitting 97 on the radar gun Adams was with it. He looks more advanced at the plate. I would love to see this kid get a real chance to stay with the organization. Heck his 7 at bats looked much better than Chris Nelson’s who allegedly has a much better pedigree than Adams based on his draft slot.

• Matt Warden says:

Thanks for the feedback Larry. Just so you know, I wrote this one though. Can’t speak on whether or not Mike concurrs.

• ClusterDuck says:

As far as expectations go, few if any minor leaguers are a sure thing.

I don’t “expect” success in MLB from Adams nor would I expect success for Sanchez/Slade/William/Austin.

I like Adams’ bat, I think there’s a good chance that he will hit in MLB, and I won’t temper that opinion.

I don’t like his injury history.

20. RetroRob says:

Matt, you do come across as a bit bearish on Adams.

An article about “tempering” expectations seems to indicate that there is a reason to temper expectations, meaning he’s a hyped prospect. That’s hardly the case.

In the chat the other day you said you expect him to be no more than a replacement-level player. That’s pretty damn low for a player who can clearly swing the bat.

In baseball, it’s always easy to take the negative. After all, it’s a sport where even the most successful fails the overwhelming majority of the time.

21. BronxBombers23 says:

Seriously with this write up?

Why didn’t you just say steals from the homeless and kicks his dog every night when he gets home. Adams has been great for the Yankees so far. He’s played a great 3b, showing a very strong and accurate arm. He has an idea what he’s doing at the plate as well, and has even showed good base running instincts in his brief tenure with the big club.

What kills me is if Cashman would have went out and acquired a 31-year old journeyman 3b, it would be the greatest thing ever. Why rain on Adams parade already when he just got here. God forbid we get excited about a homegrown prospect getting to the Bronx and playing well.

22. WhittakerWalt says:

It’s pretty funny to come back and revisit this column two months later.