May

Yankees acquire Reid Brignac

(Mike McGinnis/Getty)

(Mike McGinnis/Getty)

12:39: Gonzalez has indeed been designated for assignment, the team announced. Brignac will join the team tomorrow, so they’ll be a player short this afternoon.

11:37: Another day, another infielder. The Yankees have acquired Reid Brignac from the Rockies for just $75k in cash, reports Jon Heyman. He’s basically free, at least in baseball terms. No word on the corresponding roster move(s), but I assume he’ll replace Alberto Gonzalez. The team has not yet officially announced anything.

Brignac, 27, was designated for assignment by the Rockies a few days ago. He’s the second infielder New York has acquired from Colorado this month, joining Chris Nelson. Brignac hit .250/.294/.375 (65 wRC+) before being cut, and his career line is .228/.270/.321 (60 wRC+) in 769 plate appearances. He won’t steal any bases or draw walks (career 4.9 BB%). You surely remember him from his time with the Rays from 2008-2012.

As a left-handed bat who grades out as an average or better defender at the three non-first infield positions, Brignac is a marginal upgrade over Gonzalez. He’s probably better suited to play shortstop everyday than Jayson Nix and the currently injured Eduardo Nunez as well, at least against right-handers. The Yankees should be all about marginal upgrades at this point, every little bit of help counts. No word on when he’ll join the team.

Categories : Transactions

1. Tony says:

It better not mean that David Adams is headed back to the minors!

2. JohnnyC says:

Alberto Gonzalez more valuable as a bullpen arm?

3. Pseudoyanks says:

Cashman must have ginormous phone bills.

4. gageagainstthemachine says:

The Yankees have to be leading the league in total number of different players to start/play in a game before a third of the season has gone by. I wonder how many players have suited up in total and what the next closest team is? (If indeed the Yankees are leading in that department; they have to be up there if not leading!)

5. Dalek Jeter says:

I wonder if he’s going to be a BUI or if he’s going to be the regular SS against RHH, because I know I’m over the top with my hatred of Nix, but he’s only hitting .211/.263/.296 against RHP with a wRC+ of 46 and a wOBA of .244. and while Brignac is also pretty terrible (.239/.277/.346 wRC+ 68 wOBA .273) I remember him being decent in the field and being able to play everywhere, whereas Nix is more of a 2B who can fake 3rd and SS.

• Laz says:

He is a marginal upgrade offensively over Nix vs rhp. Way worse vs lhp. I do not hate Nix. He does what he does. I just hate how he gets so much playing time. He is more someone I want them to use to rest the infielders in blowouts, not a regular.

• gageagainstthemachine says:

What would piss me off is if they somehow (not that I think it would happen) dump Nix instead of Ben “almost-batting-under-.100-and-still-doing-jack-for-the-team” Francisco. That would piss me off because although Nix is not hitting the leather off the ball (no one expected him too and he’s playing way more only because of other players’ injuries), his defense is pretty solid and he’s contributing and seems to be a great team player. Francisco should be filling Dixie Cups for the rest of the team or sporting pom-poms by now.

• Havok9120 says:

They’re definitely two halves of a platoon under our current circumstances. I really hope they get used as such.

6. Havok9120 says:

Welcome to the team, Reidy.

I actually like this move quite a bit as long as they dump Gonzales or (not a chance) Ben Fran as the corresponding move. It can work with him and Nix as a platoon at SS.

7. Manny's BanWagon says:

Life at SS without Jeter isn’t pretty.

8. BronxBombers23 says:

Good night. Another over-hyped, former prospect that can’t hit a lick. Wonderful.

More garbage on the 40 man roster. And yet Ben Francisco lives to suck another day. Sigh.

9. trr says:

C’mon let’s go guys, that ain’t Cy Young out there-

10. Jerry says:

People here are stressing over this? Crazy! First place y’all.

11. Wayne says:

Doesn’t he also play outfield. To me this is a Big pick up as far as your defense goes. I like him as a defender in tampa.

12. Tom says:

I like the move. Sure he’s not going to hit much but he plays good defense all over the place, he’s lefthanded and as a spot starter and a viable late inning defensive replacement this makes sense.

It will be interesting what happens as people start coming back (specifically Youkilis and Nunez). I think one of those two will finally bump Francisco off the roster.

13. Cuso says:

I love this move. Not because I’m high on Brignac, but because now there is a 3b-ss-2b decent glove on the bench that makes it inexcusable to not pinch-hit if required now.

There’s been a few instances when Joe couldn’t pinch-hit for Nix because the bench was so short. This also alleviates the need for Vernon to ever get stuck in the infield again (even as cool as it is to see that).