May

Yankees recall Dellin Betances, send Brett Marshall to Triple-A

The Yankees have recalled right-hander Dellin Betances from Triple-A Scranton, the team announced. Brett Marshall was sent down in a corresponding roster move. Joba Chamberlain and his strained oblique must not be ready to come off the DL just yet.

Betances, 25, has pitched to a 5.40 ERA (3.62 FIP) in 28.1 innings this year. He recently moved to the bullpen and has allowed one run in 4.1 innings spread across two appearances since. This will be his first big league stint since September 2011, when he made two appearances. Marshall took one on the chin last night, throwing 108 pitches across 5.2 innings of bullpen-sparing relief in his big league debut.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Chip says:

Wow, sure didn’t see that one coming! Who wants to bet that he turns into a lights out closer right out of the gate and takes over for Mo next season? Anybody?

• JonS says:

I would take the bet as it’s pretty much assured that he won’t.

• FachoinaNYY says:

What about just a lights out reliever? I’d take that bet given the right odds…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, I’d be willing to try to make a quick buck off of that. It’s not that far-fetched that he could succeed rather quickly as a “heart attack” reliever.

• Coolerking101 says:

In fairness, he’s so wild that there’s a strong possibility one of his pitches will hit someone’s head…so technically that would be considered “lights out.”

2. Naved says:

Yes Please

3. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Over/Under on IP before being sent back down

0.5?

• mitch says:

Under – Nuno will be back by Saturday i’d guess

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nuno has to wait 10 days, unless he’s replacing an injured player.
        My guess is Joba will take Bettances’ spot soon.

• Havok9120 says:

Under. I hope.

Otherwise something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

• MannyGeee says:

Considering we all expected Joba to walk through that door today, I am taking the over. Maybe the club is expecting a blow out one way or another today…

4. Mr. RSU says:

Ohhhhhh BOY! Hahaha can’t wait

5. trr says:

not a major move, he’s just a body in the bullpen at this point.
    if he does get an opportunity, man, he better make the most of it.
    could be a throw-in in a trade deadline deal

6. jsbrendog says:

if he gets in the game they’re either down 10, up 10, or everyone is hurt.

7. gageagainstthemachine says:

This is like the opposite of what they did to Rick Vaughn in “Major League” when they made him think he was cut in Spring Training. Based on the crappy results the last few years and the permanent move to the bullpen just recently, I bet Betances was like, “You’re joking, right? That’s not funny man. Don’t mess with me like that!” when they told him to get on the bus for the Bronx. Here’s hoping Jobu fixed his mechanics! That…or they better stock up on live chickens!

• Havok9120 says:

I’m willing to bet the opposite. Dude was like “better get on the bus before they realize they put a typo on the callup paperwork.”

• MannyGeee says:

hahaha. They didn’t even finish the sentence before dude hopped in his Civic and hit that I-80, brother…

Word is he called Wang from somewhere around Mt. Pocano and asked him to go feed his cat for a few weeks.

8. W.B. Mason Williams says:

It’s a trick, he’s coming up to play shortstop

9. MannyGeee says:

I’m shocked. However I want to see him pitch tonight. I love an adventure. Not as much as Hughes wants him to pitch to serve as a deflection, but I digress.

10. Robinson Tilapia says:

Just in case, I’ll be wearing a cup…..as I watch from home.

Welcome back, Dellin. I’m rooting for you.

#imsoscared

• steves says:

Cup comment was very funny. Reminded me of the Three Stooges episode where they were posing as plumbers leading to the ultimate mayhem of water spewing out of the homeowner’s newly purchased TV drenching the well-dressed houseguests who were watching a show about Niagara Falls.

11. Robert says:

Lets hope its a showcase and we package him with Joba or Hughes for a trade…. Good Luck Dellin Betances anyway.

12. TomH says:

Run for cover! Run and hide!

13. TomH says:

Remember this when Shawn follows Dellin in the bullpen tango.

14. FachoinaNYY says:

Am I the only one intrigued? He has great stuff, maybe if he can learn to harness it for just an inning he can be effective and grow off that. The taller pitchers always take longer to get the control. I hope he pitches (in a Yankee blow out).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Of course. And he’s a Brooklyn kid. I want him to never go back to AAA.

Now whether that happens or not is another story.

15. Chris in Durham says:

This does seem weird. We were all expecting Joba. The only likely explanation that I can come up with is Betances gives them multiple innings where Joba does not.

I don’t agree with that conclusion btw. I’d pitch Joba until his arm fell off. I’m kidding, of course… Mostly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think it’s more Joba needs a few days, the team needs an additional warm body in the bullpen, and the other options were Rondon and Turley.

• Coolerking101 says:

Nah. Most likely scenario is Joba needs another day in AAA and they figured might as well bring up someone to replace Marshall rather than simply waste the spot. Betances will be back in AAA before you can say “bust.”

16. LarryM Fl says:

I did not expect this call up. Betances must be surprised after only 4 innings which is a very small sample size.

As I have always rooted for the guy with the Yankee uniform to do well and succeed. Even if I had my doubts about his ability. When you think back the Corey Wades, Brian Gordon, Sergio Mitre, Amauri Sanit and my favorite Edwar Ramirez were not expected to give us anything but it worked out for a little bit.

Keep the Faith Betances is here!

17. sady g says:

the Yankees have 12 free agents.between now and the trade deadline I keep kuroda,pettite,logan,rivera,overbay,cano,youkils, and granderson.they should deal hughes,joba,hafner,francisco.how about brian McCann and tyler pastornicky for hughes,romine and nunez. helps both teams.

18. vicki says:

welcome back to the bronx, dellin.

it hurts a little to recall, but i was present for his debut (and brackman’s) in a laugher v. the rays back in 2011. i looked it up to make sure i haven’t been exaggerating over the years; yep, 4bb and a hbp in .2ip. (jesus had three hits and i do remember being pleasantly surprised by kontos.)

19. Cuso says:

They need to keep Dellin around for the weekend against the jays. Toronto’s gonna have the “wanna-make-a-statement” vibe at some point.

We can just counteract that with the “hey-we’re-putting-this-kid-in-and-we-have-no-idea-where-he’s-gonna-throw-it-but-it’ll-be-96mph”

• vicki says:

i like it. then again, if he really tries to bean batista he’ll likely end up throwing cheese for strikes. either way.

20. Monterowasdinero says:

I’ve been on the fence for Girardi as manager of the year but if he can get DB to throw an inning without a walk, hit batter or wp I’m all in.