Draft Signing Updates: Wade, Murphy, CoshowBy
Here are some updates on various draft picks who have signed or are close to signing (draft round in parenthesis):
- SS Tyler Wade (4) is traveling to Florida tomorrow, according to his Twitter feed. That’s a pretty good indication he’s close to signing. The California high schooler is slotted for a touch more than $371k.
- SS John Murphy (6) has signed according to his Twitter feed. He is already in Tampa working out with the rest of gang. Slot for the Sacred Heart senior is a bit over $208k, but it’s a safe bet he signed for less.
- RHP Cale Coshow (13) has reached an agreement and is heading to Tampa for his physical, reports K. Levine-Flandrup. The Oklahoma Christian product is one of the team’s most interesting late-rounders because he sits in the mid-90s as a starter and is enormous (listed at 6-foot-5 and 270 lbs.). No word on the money, but slot for every pick after the tenth round is $100k.
- OF Jordan Barnes (15) flew to Tampa today and will sign his contract soon, reports Kevin Maloney. I doubt the Northwest Mississippi Community College freshman signs for more than the $100k slot allowance.
- OF Derek Toadvine (22) “anticipates that he will sign” according to David Jablonski. Like Barnes, the Kent State junior is likely to get nothing more than the $100k slot.
- OF Cody Thomas (30) will not sign, reports Jason Kersey. The Oklahoma prepster is a legitimate football prospect, and he’ll follow through on his commitment to Oklahoma and play both sports for the Sooners. Not surprising, I’m guessing he would have had to have been drafted a whole lot higher to consider turning pro.
In case you missed it over the weekend, our 2013 Draft Pool page is up and running. It’s available via the Resources tab under the street sign in the banner. All of the team’s selections can be seen at Baseball America.