Jun

NYDN: A-Rod cleared to begin rehab games on July 1st

Via NYDN: Alex Rodriguez has been cleared to begin playing in official minor league rehab games on July 1st. “It sounds like it’s on schedule. He’s been running, throwing, fielding, and I know it’s approaching. It’s coming,” said Brian Cashman. The GM did say the rehab stint would begin in Tampa, which is not surprising. The team’s High-A and rookie ball affiliates call the Spring Training complex home.

Rodriguez, 37, started facing live pitching last week as he works his way back from left hip surgery. Assuming the Yankees take advantage of the full 20-day rehab window — remember, he didn’t have a Spring Training and will need more than a handful of at-bats to prepare — A-Rod is still a month away from returning to the team even if he starts a rehab assignment in a week or so. The Yankees have gotten a .246/.302/.337 (75 OPS+) line out of their third basemen this year, so even a declining Rodriguez is a big upgrade.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. jsbrendog says:

seriously, anything he does when he comes back is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> adams.

• T says:

Funny how this is the opinion of Adams when 4 weeks ago, he was the savior. Let him play until Mustlier gets right.

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

ESPN Radio said Cashman issued a statement denying any date has been set about an hour ago.

3. Grandy following him shortly? Hopefully?

• I'm One says:

Yes, the team needs A-Rod, Grandy and Jeter back. Whatever they give the team will be an upgrade over what they’ve got now. I’d love to see an OF of Grandy, Gardner and Almonte (provided he continues to produce and doesn’t get Adamsitis) with Ichiro as a rotating 4th OF as needed and Wells as the 5th/occasional DH/PH.

Even Jeter, with declining defensive skills, should be an improvement over Nix (increase in offensive production offsetting defense downgrade).

• ChrisS says:

It remains to be seen what Jeter’s defense is like. He could have all the range and mobility of Larry Bowa. 2013 Larry Bowa.

4. Chamberlain says:

We need A-Rod….
    Injured A-Rod is way better than Adams…

If A-Rod can hit 260 10HR after return..
    It will be huge upgrade for Yanks

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

Then again, it’s Wally. Alex might be in the lineup tomorrow, in that case.

6. Eddard says:

A-Rod is a huge upgrade over Adams.
    Granderson a huge upgrade over Ichiro/Wells.
    Jeter a huge upgrade over Nix.
    Cervelli a huge upgrade over Stewie/Romine.

The players currently playing those positions have set the bar so low that any production from these injured guys is a huge upgrade. They could all hit .250 and they’d still be upgrades. Put that with our pitching and we’ll be right there for the division. Teixera looks like the one who might not come back.

• LK says:

Agree on all except Cervelli. He’ll be a big upgrade over Romine, but he hasn’t played all that much. Whether he’s a big upgrade over Stewart is to be detemined.

• I'm One says:

Agree. The potential is there for him to be an upgrade over Stewart, but we won’t know for sure until we see him in action. It’s possible his hand injury will affect his performance(same with Granderson, unfortunately).

• OhioYanks says:

Assuming that he’s healthy I don’t think that there’s much debate Cervelli is a significant offensive upgrade over Stewart. The sample sizes are far from definitive, but Cervelli has a career 93 wRC+ in 623 career plate appearance and Stewart has a wRC+ of 62 in 539 career PAs. The results for both have been fairly consistent across multiple seasons. I would bet you the P value here is pretty high and Cervelli is quite likely to be the better hitter. (Even if you want to argue that Stewart is better playing everyday than sporadically, as he’s at 72 wRC+ this season.)

Defense is another story, of course, and it’s pretty tough to objectively judge who has more value there and how it compares to Cervelli’s offensive advantage. Cervelli was fairly encouraging in ST and a short period in season.

• OhioYanks says:

Why do people still use batting average as an all-encompassing offensive stat? This is not a saber vs. tradition thing. If you don’t see the value in walks and power then you don’t understand baseball.

• LK says:

While your last sentence is absolutely right on, the value of walks kind of is a saber vs. tradition thing.

• OhioYanks says:

I would say that you have to be pretty old-school (and stupid) to not realize that a walk has some value to the team. How much value or how that reflects on the player’s talent level is something that can be debated. That having someone standing on base helps the team to some extent, though, is pretty hard to debate.

• trr says:

There is no all encompassing offensive stat.

• OhioYanks says:

Did I say that there is? Eddard, above, used BA as such. There may not be a perfect stat out there, but some stats give you a much more complete picture of a player’s offensive production than others.

7. Chamberlain says:

Also,
    Wally said T-Rex might need some season-ending wrist surgery….
    I think in the clutch situation in this season…
    Lyle Overbay is better option for the team…

• I'm One says:

Personally, I’d prefer Teixiera, but only at full or close to full strength. If he comes back and produces like he did the first time back, then yes, let him have the surgery because Overbay will most likely out-perform him.

• trr says:

Overbay has regressed lately as well, but yes, agree with you on Tex

• MannyGeee says:

Yup, Loverbay is a black hole against LHP. Even an healthy and almost 100% Tex is gonna give you some more production against the LHP arsenal the league has been sending to NYS this season.

• Jersey Joe says:

I wonder if it would be feasible at this point to swap Johnson for Overbay. Overbay’s OBP is .292, and that’s really the problem with this team; no one is getting on base. Cano is the only player with an OBP over .350.

While Dan Johnson has not hit for average as well as Overbay has in his career, he has about the same walk rate as Overbay. Additionally, his splits vs. lefties aren’t as bad or drastic as Overbay’s. I think he would have more power than Overbay, but the main reason we need Johnson instead of Overbay is because Overbay has a .618 OPS in June.

• jsbrendog says:

matthews is a hack and i would take anything he says with a grain of salt.

that being said, it would make sense.

8. OhioYanks says:

Will definitely be interesting to see how A-Rod does. I know that the consensus is that he is declining so a hip surgery will only steepen that decline. Certainly possible. However, a hitter who previously had very little movement in his hips now getting full movement could actually mean he’s more productive now than he was the last few years. (Don’t get me know, I am not hopeful that we’re getting 10 WAR A-Rod back. People treat decline as a straight-line thing, though, and it is not.)
    Then there’s the possible suspension stuff on top of that.

While I agree that A-Rod post-surgery will likely be better than Adams, you also can’t take Adams’ first 100 MLB PAs as indicative of his next 100, let alone his true talent level. Same with Romine. People are quick to say that “anyone” would be an improvement. However, they are basing that on these guys past PAs. There’s a pretty good chance that these guys are at least better than they’ve shown even if they are not actually good.

• trr says:

I think I’d prefer someone who is “actually good.”

No one can say definitively what A-Rod will bring to the table, or even if he will be able to play in the field a majority of the time. Adams has not made the case for himself and at 26 it’s not unreasonable to think he never will. Would love to find a RHB to fill the slot Youklis had, preferably someone who could also be slotted in at 1B occasionally. If no trade options available to us, could Mustelier be that player?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree with the overall point, but I think you’re being a tad harsh on Adams. No matter how old he is, it’s about making adjustments once there’s actual scouting reports on you. He’ll either make those, or he won’t.

• OhioYanks says:

I don’t think you understood much of what I said.

I did not say that Adams is not “actually good.” I said that he may not be. He also may be. He is debuting at 26 because he was an NCAA guy who suffered a serious injury. He was a pretty strong prospect before that injury and hit throughout the minors. (The Cards, the hottest thing in baseball right now, bring up just about all of their position prospects at about 25, 26.)

Deciding that Adams is not good because he is a 26 year old who has struggled through 100 PAs and then hinting that a better bet is a guy three years older who hasn’t hit any better in the high minors is odd. I know that many young Yankees fans are not accustomed to breaking in rookie position players in spots of high importance, but a guy’s first 100 PAs do not determine what kind of talent he has going forward. And that works both ways. That Zoilo is pulling a Shane Spencer / Shelley Duncan / Jesus Montero right now is great, but far from guarantees future success in MLB. Variability in small samples goes in both directions and the recent past doesn’t necessarily predict the future.

If you actually have some scouting insights (observational or statistical) into why you don’t think he will not succeed and a guy like Mustelier will, then I’m all ears.

• trr says:

Perhaps you need look no deeper than the fact that the team itself thought so little of Adams that they released him during S/T… But is there a chance Adams will still catch on? Well, of course. He hasn’t shown much yet, and seems to particularly struggle against breaking balls and off speed pitches. Frankly, I don’t see Adams or Mustelier as long term solutions, right now we should be looking to fill needs-
          solid RH hitters who can cover 3B for the next 30 or days, then function as a compliment to A-Rod down the stretch. If you think Adams is that guy, that’s fine. I don’t.

• OhioYanks says:

I don’t know that releasing him tells you what they thought of Adams besides that he’d clear waivers as an injured player at a time when rosters were full after the off-season. I would say that it is just as telling that they wanted him up as soon as possible rather than guys like CoJo or Mustelier even when he was healthy.

• trr says:

I can’t quite get a grasp on what the team thinks of Mustelier. I know he’s been hurt during times when he might’ve been called up, but it almost seems the team doesn’t think he has the skills for the MLB level

• OhioYanks says:

Yeah, I really don’t know how good he is at the MLB level or how good they think he is. In my amateur opinion I don’t think there’s much reason to expect him to be significantly better than Adams, though.

9. xhenox says:

Why does it feel the moment Arod hits MLB field, Selig is going to drop the hammer on steroid use allegations.

• MannyGeee says:

Yup, he’ll let him play one day and then swing the axe. Since he’s a classy guy like that.

• SDB says:

Nah. Selig will let A-Rod play until the morning after the trade deadline… then he’ll drop the suspensions, just after it’s too late for Cashman to do anything for the team. Ass.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

Actually he’ll go AB to AB. If Alex struggles, he’ll be left alone to get booed. If he does well he’ll get served with the suspension.

• WhittakerWalt says:

While “curiously” leaving Ryan Braun out of the equation.

10. Manny's BanWagon says:

After watching Arod, who was borderline unplayable when we last saw him last October, who the heck really knows what we’re getting back.

Pretty much a cadaver at 3rd is an upgrade over Adams but really who knows.

Also, let’s not forget the fact that it’s highly unlikely they’re gonna take a 38 year old off of his 2nd major hip surgery and play him in the field every day. I can see 1-2 games per week at 3rd at the most with the rest of the time at DH.

• I'm One says:

Not sure where this comment came from:

Pretty much a cadaver at 3rd is an upgrade over Adams but really who knows.

Haven’t watched him play in a while, but Adams has looked pretty decent at 3B, just not at the plate. I definitely think A-Rod can be a major upgrade offensively over Adams (provided we don’t get 2012 Playoff A-Rod), but defensively, who knows what we get. Definitely agree we shouldn’t expect more tha a couple of games a week at 3B from him.

• OhioYanks says:

Wow. Would love some of what you’re smoking. Is this Eddard’s pessimistic handle?

Why A-Rod looked so awful is well documented: his hip had literally no movement. 0%. We have no guarantee about how he’ll perform, but we can put some rough probabilities on it based on historical results for this kind of procedure. We don’t have to just decide that we can’t possibly know anything so we should pretty much expect the worst.

See my above comments re: Adams. Predicting future outcomes is not easy, but it takes a lot more than looking at a guy’s last 100 PAs (and really less than that after he started out hot).

I thought we couldn’t know anything. Now we know that A-Rod will not be able to play the field? Interesting.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Why would you want to smoke something that made you less happy?

• Fin says:

I would hazard to guess the “historic results” of a 38yr old coming off his second major hip surgery are not spectacular, and probably very limited in sample size as most 38yr olds are done playing or certainly would be given the same circumstances, if they don’t have $80m left on their contract.

• OhioYanks says:

You don’t need to look at the exact same situation to get an idea of probabilities. If you did there would be no such thing as the science of statistics. Every situation is unique.

• WhittakerWalt says:

There also aren’t a lot of 3rd basemen who’ve won three MVPs and hit 600+ homeruns (spoiler: there actually aren’t any). So who knows? Alex is an anomaly. He’s an all-time great hitter at any position, and can’t really be evaluated against anyone else. He might be only half as good as he once was. Or he might be really good. Or he might come back and hit even worse than Adams. We don’t know.

11. Mr. Pappageorgio says:

Great, so just as A-Rod is set to come back, he’ll be suspended for 100 games before he can appeal. Nice

12. Jersey Joe says:

I sure am glad that he is on his way back, I just don’t know what to expect. I’m 80% sure that he will be better than Adams – I wonder if he can hit those 13 home runs this year so he doesn’t need that bonus next year under the 189 plan. As much as I want to see him suspended, our offense really needs him right now.

I wonder if they could put him at first; Overbay hasn’t been good since May. Musteiler, Adams, maybe CoJo could split time at 3rd, and ARod’s hip could recover without as much strain. It’s probably not going go through, but a good idea in theory.

• trr says:

Like bad weather, A-Rod is an unpleasant fact of life that we cannot change, only endure until it’s over

• OhioYanks says:

It still amazes me that people want to see a good player from their favorite team suspended. Even if they were in first and Adams/Youk was productive, I would want to see A-Rod playing and productive.

I wonder if 3B is actually any more strain on the hips than 1B. In addition to fielding the balls hit to you at 1B you’re stretching to receive throws from all other IFs, receiving throw-overs from the P, jumping off the bag into position when holding a runner on, and still have bunt responsibilities like 3B… I really have no idea, but I would guess that 1B might actually put more strain on the hip.

• steves says:

Seems to me that some of those “people” hoping for a suspension actually work for or own the Yankees.

13. New Guy says:

I mean the solution is pretty obvious, I don’t know why none of you have pointed it out. Play A-rod for the week he’s back until he gets slapped with 100 game suspension and then throw Jagielo into the fire. He is “polished” after all, is he not?

14. RetroRob says:

I can’t get too excited about A-Rod’s return because I’m not sure he will. Not because of the surgery, but the looming suspension. I believe MLB will go forward and suspend any player on the list, and it could happen at some point after the All-Star break.

• OhioYanks says:

Wonder how long the appeals process might postpone that if he is suspended, though. I know next to nothing about the subject but seems like it would be tough to suspend him without some kind of failed test or criminal conviction.

15. Duh Injuries says:

The Yanks are not paying A-Rod $28M to play MAYBE two months of baseball.

Remember, if he’s activated from the disabled list the Yanks owe him $28M thus cannot collect that in insurance money by not playing him.

The Yanks will not play him. They should put him on the 60-day disabled list on August 1 to collect the $28M insurance money then use that money to buy him out.

He will never play for the Yankees again. He will be bought out and if he refuses a buyout he will be on the disabled list until he accepts a buyout and MLB can do nothing about it because how could MLB force the Yanks to activate him from the disabled list?

• OhioYanks says:

MLB will do nothing about it. MLB is the owners. The players’ union is the group that will do something about it. They will most likely get A-Rod off the DL, and the Yankees may or may not ruin their reputation with FAs going forward in the process.

16. Duh Injuries says:

David Adams will be the everyday 3B for the rest of 2013.