Jun

Cashman confirms Teixeira still has discomfort in wrist

Via Wally Matthews: Brian Cashman confirmed Mark Teixeira still has some discomfort in his right wrist even after receiving a cortisone shot last week. “He’s still experiencing soreness … We’re trying to work through it,” said the GM, who also acknowledged season-ending surgery remains a possibility.

Teixeira, 33, missed the first two months of the season with a tendon sheath injury and lasted barely two weeks before having to be placed back on the DL with inflammation. The surgery typically requires a six-month recovery time, which means they could delay the procedure until about mid-August to see if he can return this year without jeopardizing the start of 2014. Either way, the Yankees might want to start looking for a replacement for Lyle Overbay, who has cooled off considerably since April and is down to .243/.287/.437 (93 wRC+) on the year.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. trr says:

Not great news, obviously.
    Man it gets tough when you have to look for replacements for your replacements.

2. Chamberlain says:

i gave up with Tex….

Comparision btwn Don Mattingly and Tex… forshadows some… injury-prone future for Tex…

I’m 100 % sure that Tex would not be back in 2009 shape..

• to be fair, it was kind of a freak injury. he was declining yes, but not sure that’s because of injury.

• Chamberlain says:

I’m not blaming about the cause of his recent injury…
        But i’m so disappointed about his unexpected injury history in Yanks…
        2010,2011,2012… Tex was suffured by injuries all years

• RetroRob says:

The gap between reality and perception with Tex is quite large with many fans. In decline, he remained productive at the plate and obviously a first-class defender. His loss to the team this year has been significant.

3. Crime Dog says:

Yikes, just looked up how bad Overbay’s been recently. It’s not pretty. It’ll be hard to contend getting that kind of production from 1B.

4. I'm One says:

Replace Loverbay?!?! Nooo!!!

OK, maybe if we can find a cool nick-name for him and he produces better tha Overbay.

Maybe the easiest solution is to fond a right-handed hitting counterpartto him.

5. Eddard says:

They never should have let go of Nick Swisher. He can play 1st and he can play RF. Overbay wouldn’t be so bad if he was playing once or twice a week. Same with Nix, Stewart, Wells, Ichiro. They only have two everyday big league players on the roster- Gardner and Cano. Possibly 3 with Zolio.

• MannyGeee says:

King Zolio… the man… NO, the God, that saved the Yankees.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

They didn’t have the money. However I do think that they should have made an effort to trade Granderson to use that money to keep Swisher but there’s nothing we can do about it now.

• mick taylor says:

the people on this blog who are in luv with swisher are nuts. he is hitting 237 with 7 home runs for cleveland. he would cost the yanks 48 million while choking like he always does in the playoffs if ther resigned him. johnny damon would be better.

6. WhittakerWalt says:

At least this will make Mick Taylor happy. That’s really what it’s all about.

• I'm One says:

Mick Taylor has always been happy since leaving The Stones … Excpet for the money he missed out on.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

He’s already at a football field somewhere, trying to find a goalpost he can move.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I wish there was a LIKE button on this site.

Mick will probably just find another Yankee to hate. Like how stuart made the smooth transition from hating ARod to hating Robbie.

Such great fans.

7. Greg says:

we are who we are. A bunch of old (injured) guys, plus some fill in’s. All we can do is hope to patch it together until Arod, Jeter and Grandy arrive – and hope that we get the 2009 versions. Other than that, the sole hope is to wait for the next wave of kids (Pineda, Banuelos, DePaula, Austin, Slade, Williams and Flores). Chances are that no more than 2 of those guys ever amount to anything.

• The Doctor says:

I wouldn’t quite go that far. I’d say at least a few of them will amount to something. Maybe only 2 will be something special, but I can easily see at least 3-5 of them turning into at the very least role players. You also forgot Sanchez, who happens to be our top prospect, and Jagielo, who’s expected to move quickly enough to get up as fast as some of the guys who’ve already been around a while.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There were several guys I’d have listed there missing. That’s OK. Always hard to come up with a list like that off the top of your head.

From that group, yeah, I’d like to see more than two solid contributors, and I would take the “over” on that.

8. Frank says:

I won’t be surprised at all when Yanks announce in a couple weeks he’s having surgery and is done for the year. I bet they probably already know but can’t announce it until they swing a deal for a replacement.

• I'm One says:

That wouldn’t surprise me. They could play the “Well, we don’t really know if we need him, but if you’re willing to part with him cheaply, we’ll carry him just in case Teix can’t make it back.” card.

9. Chamberlain says:

The best possible candidate for replacing Tex is…….
    Justin Morneau,,,

Agree? Disagree?

• mitch says:

At his point he’s just a marginally better version of Overbay….a platoon guy without that much power. He’d be an upgrade, but i think there are other guys that would be better fits.

• The Doctor says:

Have to disagree. He’s been just barely league average the past couple of years and is a constant injury liability. He may be coming right off injury, but I’d go with Hart. He’s right handed, a much better offensive threat than Morneau these days, and can slide into right field when Tex is back.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If they’re take Carmen Angelini and Rookie Davis, sure.

• MannyGeee says:

If by best, you mean most likely available for a song, then yeah probably. If best is supposed to mean “offering you the most production for 3 months at 1B”, then not likely.

• SDB says:

Replacing Tex, or joining him on the DL?

10. The Doctor says:

I do think Hart’s a good trade target at this point. He has a good track record, is going to be a buy-low guy coming off injury, and can play both 1B and RF. He’s perfect to fill the hole while Tex is gone (if he’s still gone by the time he comes back) and swing over to RF if Tex comes back.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

How “low” is that “buy low,” though?

I’m not giving away anything of value for injury upgrades. I’ll run Overbay’s ass out there the rest of the reason, exposed or not.

• Jim Is Bored says:

If we could get Hart in exchange for taking some of his salary and giving back a B- or a C+ prospect, I’d be happy with that.

• The Doctor says:

Well it’s a half season rental of a guy coming of injury, so I’d have to think the Brewers would be content with the Yankees paying the rest of his salary this year and giving some fringy prospects in return. They have no purpose for him between now and when he walks, I imagine they’ll take something over nothing. Warren and CoJo plus salary relief could get it done, if even.

If the Mariners are willing to part with Morse, I wouldn’t ignore it either. His outfield defense is pretty awful, but I think we can agree that we could get away with it. If Tex came back and he moved to the outfield, he’d probably be replacing Wells, who’s defensive value is in the tank as it is. Once Grandy comes back, he’d be replacing Ichiro, who’s basically the opposite of Morse: all defense no bat (except the past few weeks, and I’m not willing to call that any more than a hot streak just yet). Given the team’s offensive struggles and the fact that individual defense is essentially 1/3 as prominent as offense, I think he’d be an upgrade all around. I’d really prefer a long term guy who can play for the next few years, but these two are probably the best options as far as a very short term fix goes.

• trr says:

I wonder if he can fake 3B too…that’s probably asking too much

11. Bob Michaels says:

We need the return of the Grandy Man, Can Almonte also play first?

12. Chris says:

So obviously before Teix returned, he was having his salary paid because of being injured in the WBC. How is this being handled now? The injury is still from that WBC incident. Is this still giving the Yankees any salary relief? Could make a huge difference.

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

I am fine with the team making whatever decision is best for Tex’s long-term health, even if that means missing the rest of the season.

While he can be frustrating at the bat sometimes, I am still a huge fan of his and am always in awe of his work at first base. I do think an aging and exposed Lyle Overbay, though, is going to be preferable than a Mark Teixeira that can’t play close to even his “new normal” in the short-term. I’d rather have Tex at 100% for next season than Tex at 50% in a few weeks.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I’d like Tex as a RH PH off the bench if we have no other use for him and have no better options against LHP.

14. mitch says:

just going to throw it out there because if i don’t, someone else will…Jeter or Arod to first if Tex has surgery

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think someone would say “it’s harder to learn the position that you’d think,” which you could successfully counter with “yeah, and Alex and Derek aren’t ordinary people, even older and recovering from injury.”

The drawback I’d see is that putting them at first leaves either Adams or Nix on the field full-time. If you’re going to expose any of those two, plus Overbay, to full-time play, I think I’d rather be Overbay.

• mitch says:

Agreed. I think it only makes sense if a switch to 1B is the only alternative to DH-only. If they’re capable of playing their normal positions it makes the most sense to keep them there.

• Crime Dog says:

The team is far more likely to push Adams to playing some 1B than anything else I think.

15. Mickey Scheister says:

Dan Johnson anyone?

16. EndlessJose says:

The Yankees are hoping help from injury filled players. We don’t know if Jeter can even play short or if A-Rod can play third/and if he will be suspended.

The Yankees are gambling on risky players.

17. I'm One says:

I think the Yankees may know just a little bit more about them returning to their normal positions than we do, as well as the level of production to expect from them. While they won’t have all the answers, I think they’ll have a good idea and understand the risk/reward of staying pat or adding players to support them.

18. WhittakerWalt says:

I’d bet $1000 bucks that Tex has surgery and misses the rest of the season.*

*I’m broke, please don’t take me up on this.

19. Now Batting says:

This whole wrist inflammation thing is déjà vu Nick Johnson 2009.

20. Pistol pete says:

He’s done for the year, you can count on it. How are we going to,replace that 153 ba.

21. OldYanksFan says:

Overbay’s best month was May, at .253 .308 .474 .782. That’s a .308 OBP
    So basically, aside from a couple of big HRs, he has been replacement level.
    I like the man, and I’m happy that he did Win a few games for us.
    But really, he’s hardly a major league player anymore.