Jun

Yanks lose again; Sox win rain-shortened rubber game 3-0

The @YankeesWeather people did a very poor job of monitoring the weather situation Sunday night. The rubber game between the Yankees and Red Sox started with a 45-minute non-rain delay — literally no rain fell — then continued with two outs recorded between a 37-minute rain delay and an infinite-minute rain delay in the sixth inning. Eventually the game was called after five and a half innings and Boston walked away with a 3-0 win.

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

Off-Night
The Yankees couldn’t afford to have Hiroki Kuroda have an off-night, but that’s exactly what happened. The veteran right-hander cruised through the first three innings before surrendering one run in each of the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings. A Mike Napoli fielder’s choice plated the first run before Jose Iglesias (!) and David Ortiz hit solo homers. Ortiz’s dinger is understandable, but Iglesias? That’s just the way it’s been going for New York of late.

Kuroda allowed a season-high eight hits in 5.1 innings of work, striking out five and walking zero. In fact, it has been four starts and 81 batters since his last walk. That’s rather impressive. He threw 62 of 95 pitches for strikes (65%). It wasn’t Kuroda’s best effort, but he’s allowed a subpar start once in a while. He’s been plenty good this year.

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

Saved By The Rain
If it wasn’t for the rain, Clay Buchholz almost certainly would have cruised to a complete-game victory. The Yankees couldn’t touch him. In five innings of work, the Boston right-hander allowed two balls out of the infield: Austin Romine‘s ten-hop ground ball single through the right side and a Travis Hafner foul ball. That’s it. Everything else stayed on the infield as either a ground ball, a pop-up, a strikeout, or an infield single (Ichiro Suzuki).

The Yankees never had a runner advance beyond first base against Buchholz, and the last nine men he faced all made outs. He’d only thrown 71 pitches as well, so there was plenty in the tank for at least another three innings, if not four. This offense … it’s bad. Twenty-sixth in baseball with an 87 wRC+ bad.

Leftovers
Boone Logan pitched between rain delays and struck out the only man he faced. Mike Napoli was thrown out trying to inexplicably steal for another out, so Logan’s record will show 0.2 innings. Andrew Miller had warmed up for Boston between rain delays but never actually pitched.

Romine and Ichiro were the only Yankees with hits, though Robinson Cano also drew a walk. Vernon Wells went 0-for-2 to drop his season OBP to an awful .298. Those three weeks in April sure were fun while they lasted. Mark Teixeira is 1-for-9 with a walk and seven strikeouts since coming off the DL while Kevin Youkilis is 1-for-9 with a walk and five strikeouts.

For the first time since 1992, the Red Sox have held the Yankees to four of fewer runs in five consecutive games. I feel like I’ve reference the early-1990s a lot recently.

Box Score, WPA Graph & Standings
MLB.com has a box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Rays and Orioles both won, so right now the Yankees are tied with those two clubs in the loss column for second place in the AL East. The Sawx are two games up.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next
The Indians and two prominent former Yankees (Nick Swisher and Jason Giambi) are coming to the Bronx for a three-game series. Andy Pettitte is expected to be activated off the DL to start Monday night’s series opener against Justin Masterson. If you want to catch the game live, check out RAB Tickets.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Mike myers says:

The leverage index should have a ticker for rain. It tallied the winning hit.

2. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Brett Gardner doesn’t look very tough here.

3. Kramerica Industries says:

Multiple Run(s)?

Psh. Not even Singular Run.

4. forensic says:

Quite a game. This offense sure can be painful much of the time.

And absolutely was horrible work by the ground crew people with the weather. They could’ve had another 2 innings in had they not had another absurd no-rain rain delay before the game.

• Mouse says:

Yup, I was about to say the same thing. I think the delay at the start was actually called by the Yankees.

You never know but things could have turned out differently.

So stupid. They deserve to lose anyway.

• David N says:

Let’s face it: do we really want to see this offense go to bat two more times? I could do without that frustration.

5. LennonJames says:

At the risk of being moronic with an elementary question; why wouldn’t this game end 2-0? How does the sixth inning count if the Yankees didn’t get an AB?

• LennonJames says:

hmmm…I must be moronic, as I’m the only person who doesn’t understand this.

• Pour some cougar on me says:

The umpires probably figured that even if the bottom was played, the Yankees wouldn’t have scored anyways

• vicki says:

i know you’re kidding – you better be – but had i convinced myself this team was going to come from behind, like god intended. joe torre can suck my business.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

The rule:
      (d) A called game ends at the moment the umpire terminates play, unless it becomes a suspended game pursuant to Rule 4.12(a).

It’s not a suspended game, so everything that happened up until the game was called counts.

6. Kevin says:

Wouldn’t have made a difference. We weren’t going to win any way but it owuld have been nice to see them be able to hit the reset button on this one.

7. forensic says:

The Yankees grabbed him primarily for his glove, but Overbay is second only to Robinson Cano with 29 RBIs, and his slash line of .247/.289/.461 is at least in the ballpark of Hafner’s .248/.363/.481.

Since when does 94 points of OPS count as ‘in the ballpark’?

• Bob Buttons says:

Well two out of three stats ain’t too far apart, and it’s not like newsday is where avid sports fans go for sports analysis.

• forensic says:

Lyle Overbay: .247/.289/.461/.750
        Chris Stewart: .262/.309/.369/.678

Woohoo! Two out of three stats are better and his OPS is within only 72 points. I can’t wait for David Lennon’s next analysis about how they can’t afford to let Chris Stewart go. :-)

• Bob Buttons says:

This is incredibly easy to explain. Since Lyle Overbay and Hafner are in the same ball park, and Overbay and Stewart is in the same ball park, therefore Hafner and Stewart’s hitting are in the same ball park, there fore we should not let Stewart go! :)

8. forensic says:

Mike, if you’re around, how come one of my posts in DOTF last night was eaten by the filter or killed during moderation? Is there a limit on number of links in a comment or something?

9. Pat D says:

I think it will be interesting to see what kind of reception Swisher and Giambi get tomorrow.

But I’m back in class three nights a week starting tomorrow, so I’ll miss it.

I’m not totally upset about that at this point. I’m not giving up on them but losing streaks like this are never pleasant experiences.

• Bob Buttons says:

Swish might get some boos but should get mostly cheers because he is a nice guy and didn’t really ditch us.

Giambi the same, with PEDs vs Giambino, stache and golden thong.

• forensic says:

Swisher will probably get a good mix of cheers and boos.

I don’t see why Giambi would really matter, he’s already played 5 games in YSIII since leaving the Yankees. I would think he’ll mostly be cheered anyway.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’m more interested to see how our crowd reacts if(hopefully I don’t find out) the offense struggles mightily again and we lose a game where we score 1or2 runs. I think its to the point, your gonna here boo’s early and often if we don’t start hitting some, and especially if Cle jumps out to a quick lead.

Hopefully Andy can do his thing.

10. Kevin says:

A case could be made this was EPSN’s call and not the Yankee FO. I have a feeling if it had been up to them,this game would have been called.

11. Brian S. says:

But seriously bean Ortiz next time we face these fuckers.

• Mike says:

Yea, call up someone from AAA just so we can bean him on the head. Can’t risk getting one of our regular guys suspended.

12. forensic says:

Kramerica, or anyone else who may give a crap, it appears the ‘For Prussia’ stuff started in Game 15, so clearly before I thought it did.

So, they were 8-6 (.571) before and are 23-19 (.548) since. Not a huge difference, but they are a little worse with it. That also doesn’t count the games where no one did it since then, but I’m not going to bother searching through all of them.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Random stats are my forte’.

Just earlier today, after pontificating that the Rays seem to play very well on Sunday’s (totally notion-based), I did the research on the matter and, sure enough, dating back to the start of 2011, the Rays are 40-19 on Sundays.

13. Ben Francisco says:

1-6 since I was DFA’d.

*laughs*

14. Mike says:

Buchholz shouldn’t even be in the league. Nice player, but I’d never want that cheat here tarnishing our team.

• vicki says:

how come his hair got LESS WET after the rain started.

what is WITH the wet hair?

is that where he keeps the lube? seriously. the hell.

• Lurker says:

Really? I guess you don’t want Pettite or A-Rod on your team either. Buccholz has pitched like the best pitcher in baseball since the whole non-controversy started and then went away. Also, the man who started it all, Jack Morris, apologized.

15. Jenny C says:

If Steinbrenner was still alive he would have fired the rain.

16. mt says:

Mike, yesterday actually made it six consecutive games this season Red Sox have allowed four or fewer runs to Yankees.

David Ortiz started 18/36 when he came off Disabled list – who among us thought either Youk or Teix would do something like that? I know Ortiz is a better hitter than either of them but it would have been nice to at least soften the blow of this crappy weekend by looking like we’d have gained a hot player for a week or so coming off DL – oh well! (To me Teix looks worse of the two – anything with a curve or change-up gets him.) Hoping they recover sometime on West Coast – we need them.

On a related note, since Pettite is coming back and we need offense, I saw a suggestion on another site that that both Boesch and Adams go down replaced by Pettite and Mustellier (Ronnier can back up 3B and OF) – I am sure that drastic move won’t happen but I wonder what if anything Yanks can do to goose their offense except just hope and wait for current lineup to turn it around?

17. JLC 776 says:

I know a team is never as bad as they look when they’re losing, and never as good as they look when they’re winning, but this seems much closer to the reality I was expecting this year. And I hate that.

18. trr says:

Absolutely detest the Sunday night games, and this debacle sure ain’t gonna change my mind

19. Laz says:

I hate games like this. 5 innings is not a game. I can see cutting an inning off, but this gives the teams no chance to catch up.

20. Spiderpig says:

Buchholz did pitch a complete game, and a shutout.

The home team has control of when the game starts, so the Yankees probably held off because of the fear of losing Kuroda with that group of thunderstorms looking like it was moving east towards the stadium, but ending up just clipping the northern part of the Bronx.

21. shittyshittybangbang says:

In response to brian s. & mike, this game (mlb) aint nothing like it used to be. That fucker hot dogged the shit out of that h.r. ! Wow, that was bad ! He went clear out of his way to show up his opponent. Two of his former team-mates (curt schilling, pedro martinez) would’ve put one in his ear-hole next time up !

22. shittyshittybangbang says:

The Yankees are beginning to fulfill all of nay-sayers prophecies; hafner, wells and ichiro are looking as old and finished as some feared. Texeira and youkilis, over-paid and declining and eternally hurt. Weak at catching an short, as was expected. Granderson’s continued hbp saga….., andthen there’s arod and jeter. Oh boy, hold on folks, this could get bumpy /ier.