Jul

Game 105: Godzilla

Was there anyone who didn’t love Hideki Matsui? He was one of those rare players who appealed to everyone. Godzilla was insanely productive and he played every single game, at least early in his Yankees career, plus he was controversy-free and as classy at it gets. It was impossible not to love him.

Matsui, who turned 39 last month, will officially retire as a Yankee today. He signed a one-day minor league contract with the team this morning, and he will sign his retirement papers on the field during a pre-game ceremony. If you were lucky enough to get to the Stadium super early, you probably walked away with one of the Matsui bobbleheads as well. Godzilla was one of my most favorite players ever and it’s a bittersweet day to see him officially call it a career. He was a perfect Yankee.

Here’s the lineup that will face left-hander Matt Moore:

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. SS Derek Jeter
  3. 2B Robinson Cano
  4. LF Alfonso Soriano
  5. DH Vernon Wells
  6. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  7. 3B Brent Lillibridge
  8. 1B David Adams
  9. C Chris Stewart

And on the mound in what could be his final appearance as a Yankee is right-hander Phil Hughes. The trade deadline is Wednesday and the team has reportedly been “aggressively pushing” Hughes on the market as they seek offensive help. If this winds up being his final appearance in pinstripes, hopefully he goes out with a bang.

It’s cloudy, cool, and humid in New York right now, and there is a chance of showers in the not-too-distant future. It isn’t expected to be anything that could postpone the game, but there might be a delay in the middle innings. The Matsui ceremony is scheduled to start at 12:45pm ET and the game at 1:05pm ET. You can watch all of it on YES. Enjoy.

Injury Updates: Oh, yeah, Derek Jeter (quad) has been activated off the DL. To clear room on the roster, Travis Hafner (shoulder) was officially placed on the 15-day DL … Jayson Nix (hamstring) is with the team and will be activated off the DL for Tuesday’s game against the Dodgers … David Phelps (forearm) will make another minor league rehab start on Tuesday … Curtis Granderson (hand) could rejoin the team in time for next weekend’s series against the Padres.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Dalek Jeter says:

Look at that, 5 of our first 6 players in the line up are legitimate major leaguers. And they’re almost hitting all in a row!!!

2. trr says:

A fan-boy in an earlier thread said how A-rod single-handedly won the 2009 championship .
    It is to laugh….
    Thanks Hideki for 2009. Thanks for EVERYTHING !

• Dalek Jeter says:

Hideki totally won the World Series for us, but we’re not even in the series if it wasn’t for A-Rod. Dude hit over .400, was on base over half the time, and slugged well over 1.000 over the first two rounds of the playoffs that year.

• trr says:

Point is, nobody does anything single-handedly. Every team has it’s outstanding players, and A-rod was great in that post-season, but nobody does it alone….

• jjyank says:

Normally I’d agree with you, but Plouffy is right. A-Rod threw the Yankees over his shoulder and carried them to the World Series. Sure, other players helped as well (CC was the ALCS MVP if I remember) but there is no way, no way, the Yankees are playing the Phillies in the Series without A-Rod’s heroics.

• Brian S. says:

Cognitive dissonance.

• forensic says:

Matsui was arguably better in the WS (in a much smaller sample than A-Rod, and it was largely just one game), but A-Rod was FAR better the rest of the postseason. Because Matsui’s performance was in the clincher, and against Pedro, I think it gets vastly overrated.

• RetroRob says:

The fan-boy was probably reacting to the generally negative A-Rod comments. He always gets blamed when the Yankees don’t make it past xx round in the postseason, and those same people who do that also don’t want to give A-Rod credit for his great contribution in 2009.

No single player carries a team to a World Series. A-Rod, Matsui and C.C. played a huge part in the 2009 championship, although A-Rod from the start of the postseason to the World Series win was the most important hitter.

• trr says:

No doubt he is an absolute lightning rod for criticism . I’ m not a hater, and anyway, how can you blame the guy for signing the contract he was offered? If he does play for us this season, he’ll be under the microscope again. The issues with this team run far deeper than A-rod, however. But as long as he’s on the roster and getting paid, his presence will be an issue. Part of the price of fame, I guess.

• LazzariScooter says:

because he falsified the contents pf his physical makeup and personal character which have a direct link to his historic inability to fulfill this agreement. The illegal drugs and serial lies have literally destroyed this man’s career and the only sin the Yankees made was in trusting this corrupt man in anyway.

Yeah, so screw Hank. Damn him for trusting this immoral,lying and cheating bastard for any guarantee monetary sum.

3. Winter says:

I’m determined not to get my hopes up about returning players staying on the field, but a lineup with Jeter and Granderson in it looks vastly differently from the lineup we’re used to seeing.

4. Stick with Hughes. says:

Over the last 30 days Hughes has had a 2.63 ERA. I know the team is looking to move him out but that production is pretty hard to reproduce. I know he’s been so inconsistent, but unless we’re getting a hitter with some years of control what’s the point? Who exactly will be replacing him in the rotation?

• LazzariScooter says:

Thank God for the naivety of the Hughes fan club. They are the living embodiment of Charlie Brown chasing the football and getting embarrass each and every time.

Hughes was only rotten thing at today’s otherwise perfect Sunday in New York:

-Yankees win
      -Legendary Yankee and Revered Ballplayer, Hideki Matsui, Honored
      -Jeter bringing back some classic Yankee “Mystic and Aura”. Moment og the Year, IMO
      -Ichiro, 4-4, thus grinding the Haters mad, Sorry, Axisa
      -Walk-off win from old fan favorite, Soriano

5. Oy says:

You know what makes me really scared? Amaro is calling teams to let them know that Papelbon and Young are available. I can just imagine the ownership making a move to acquire Paps in the winter to replace Mo. That’s scary.

6. Kramerica Industries says:

There is not a game in the world I hate more than the proverbial “salvage” game of a three game HOME series, because I firmly believe the “salvage” concept does not, and cannot, exist in these scenarios.

As long as the Yankees figure themselves to be a playoff contender, I figure them to win 2/3 at home in any given series. Sometimes, they’ll sweep. Sometimes, they’ll drop 2/3. That happens. But you know what? If they’re gonna lose 2/3, I’d rather it be them dropping the rubber game. As it is, they are in danger of getting swept, at HOME, by a division rival in what was tantamount to a potentially season-changing series this weekend. And that is unforgivable.

I will watch. But I cannot be happy regardless of the result today. It is already a lost weekend in the Bronx.

• Winter says:

A win is a win. I don’t care if its the third win in a row or the fifth or the first.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I get this approach, but here’s what I’m getting at:

Even if the Yankees win today, what is your main take-away from this series, both in the immediate aftermath and looking back later on in the season? What you see is a series where the team, in their only home series in an 18 game stretch after the ASB, lost 2/3 and was in danger of getting swept by a division rival, in what was unquestionably a key series, both at the time and potentially down the road, too.

As the years have gone on, my approach has shifted. I’m not as much of a game-to-game person anymore. I look more series-by-series, and roadtrip and homestand-long. The Yankees have not had a winning homestand since, holy shit, the middle of May? They went 4-4 in the Mets/Red Sox/Indians one, 4-5 in the Dodgers/Rays/Rangers one, and 5-5 in the Orioles/Royals/Twins one (LOL at 3-4 against KC and Minnesota).

Again, my expectations are molded entirely by the expectations the organisation places on the team. Fair or not, if the ownership wants to (foolishly) say they are building a “championship-calibre roster” then I am going to expect according results from the team. And the results I’m seeing are not results that leave me satisfied.

I root for the Lightning in the NHL and the Bucs in the NFL, first and foremost. I can handle losing. That’s not the issue. But if the Yankees aren’t going to be fielding a championship-calibre roster, then don’t lie to my g-ddamned face and tell me that they are, Hal. Take your two-faced BS and fuck yourself.

• vicki says:

it’s probably time to start approaching games as singular experiences, not as stepping-stones to october.

7. ProjectNeo says:

Was that Matsui’s wife there? I thought he alway kept her out of the public life.

8. Wheels says:

Great vibes with Hideki!

9. Jag says:

Nice ceremony for Matsui, was nice to see. It looked like Pettitte had a few tears in his eyes too. They shared a lot together.

10. Kramerica Industries says:

On a related note, holy shit, when in fucking hell did the 2013 Rays become the ’98 Yankees or something? WHAT THE FUCK is with this 21-3 stretch they are on? There is simply no way in hell they are THIS GOOD of a team. It’s fucking nauseating.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Maybe it’s the insane energy provided by their home crowds.

Heh.

• Kramerica Industries says:

There is one person I know who is a Rays fan, but otherwise is almost like a carbon copy of who I am as a person. I might actually go to the Giants/Rays game next weekend to catch up with him before he heads off to North Carolina.

Honestly, I do wish there were more Rays fans like him. Guy is pretty effing brilliant when it comes to sports and the Rays.

• Brian S. says:

Amazing what a team full of good young players and not decrepit has-beens can accomplish. Maybe the Yankees should try that one day.

• jjyank says:

No doubt the Rays have out developed the Yankees in recent years, but getting to draft guys like Longoria and Price sure do help.

• It’s pretty nauseating, though, when they can flip a legit ace pitcher like James Shields off on a dumbass like Dayton Moore, get a middle of the lineup hitter like Wil Myers, and the starting pitching doesn’t even miss a beat.

I mean, holy fucking hell. This isn’t even a Cashman bashing attempt here. The Yankees simply won’t ever be able to get deals like that to go their way. Dayton Moore is such a fuckhead.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

James Shields isn’t even an ace, that’s why the trade is so annoying.

They traded a great #2 for a top 5 prospect in the game.

11. Kevin G. says:

Wow, the Yankees might actually have a real lineup by next weekend

12. Kramerica Industries says:

By the way, can anybody remember the Rays EVER being in position to sweep a series in the Bronx?

And, no, those two dinky-shit two-game series in May 2009 and May 2010 don’t count. I’m talking legit three-game or even four-game series’. And I can’t recall this ever being a possibility, not even in that dismal 2005 season when the Yankees were, like, 3-6 or 3-7 at home against the Rays.

13. forensic says:

Jeter being in the lineup brings me back to the text poll that was in the game on Friday asking what his first AB will result in. They said strikeout, walk, single, or homerun.

How do they not have groundout on there? That’s gotta be the odds-on favorite.

14. Wheels says:

I’m sensing that we’re gonna kick the Rays butt today. Just a hunch

• Yeah, well, the last time the Yankees were in danger of getting swept by a division rival at home was almost this exact same date last year against the Orioles.

They won the proverbial “salvage” game 11-1.

15. Brian S. says:

Let’s go Hughes. Pitch like you want out of this place and want to play in sunny California instead.

16. mac1 says:

Those were the days. When the Yanks signed All Star caliber IFA’s.

I looked at the numbers awhile back. Matsui was about on par with Paul O’Neill as a Yankee. I think O’Neill was a bit better offensively and on D, although Hideki’s first few years he was excellent in LF.

17. Eddard says:

SAVE US JETER! OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN!

18. SDB says:

JETER!!!!

19. Cy Pettitte says:

Jeter is the fucking best

20. Eddard says:

HR JETER! OMG!!!!!!!!! ONLY JETER COULD DO THAT!!!!!!!! EL CAPITAN!!!!!!!!!

21. vicki says:

bullshit.

22. Wheels says:

Yeah baby!

23. Kramerica Industries says:

DEREK JETER!

24. RetroRob says:

Holy crap.

25. Leg-End says:

We love you Jeter!

26. Elton Cod says:

…well that was fun.

27. Carlos Danger says:

Jeter is EPIC. How does he do it, Capt Clutch is right!

28. Frank says:

You can’t make this shit up. Amazing.

29. Winter says:

I’m still working on getting video. That must have been a ton of fun to watch.

30. Nathan says:

Matsui is one of my all-time favorite Yankees. Looking back, I think I took him for granted almost since he was consistent yet so reserved.

31. forensic says:

First ball in the air since October. That’s absurd. Just snuck out, but it counts.

32. Anderson Silva says:

We love you Derek!

33. Elton Cod says:

It was a cheapie to right-field, too. The perfect Yankee thing to do, in a way.

34. Anderson Silva says:

nice baserunning by Robbie there

35. Eddard says:

Jeter’s heroics have trickled down. Now get those runs home.

36. forensic says:

What a gift that is if it’s ruled a hit. Breaks an 0-18 streak.

37. Carlos Danger says:

Here we go!!!

38. Carlos Danger says:

It feels sooo good to be baccck!!

I love that intro for Jetes!

39. Curtis Hennig says:

I think Jeter deserves an RBI for that sac fly. His presence in the lineup and in the clubhouse obviously inspired the players. He should get credit for the run. This is the basic limit of statistics, something you stathead saber-rattlers can’t understand. You can’t quantify stuff like this.

40. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Sorry I’m late just heard about Jeter.

OMG!!!

That’s what a Legend does.

41. Carlos Danger says:

It’s cool Kay, they all look alike.

42. Anderson Silva says:

time for those cheap ass ichiro hits

43. BigBlueAL says:

I know Im late to the party but just had to repeat what everyone else has said already, Jeter is freaking amazing.

44. jjyank says:

First game I’ve been able to watch since the Soriano trade. It’s fun to see him back in Pinstripes. And also, a tip of my hat to Matsui. Love you, dude.

Also, welcome back Captain!

45. Anderson Silva says:

that’s what Im talking about Ichi!

46. Cy Pettitte says:

Jeter fixed the Yankees

• Leg-End says:

I know its one inning, but it just looks and feels different with Jeter in the lineup, hes the spark we desperately needed.

47. Eddard says:

Jeter’s heroics have tricked down to everyone in the lineup. Just amazing what that man can do.

48. forensic says:

Nice Ichiro!

49. Wheels says:

Ichiro! What a start

50. jjyank says:

Ichiro!

51. Brian S. says:

Thank goodness CC isn’t pitching today!

52. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Jete homers in his first at-bat. That is so effing awesome. So pissed I missed it!!

And hey look its 3-0 in the first inning!!

53. Real lineups score runs. says:

^^^^^ yep

54. Carlos Danger says:

A three spot, a big crooked number the Yanks haven’t seen in a long time.

LMAO!

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Seriously I know so many of you can’t believe because you’re locked in “Sabermetrics World” and things such as “chemistry” and “clutches” are for the ignorant.

Then paint me an ignorant man when I see a legend walk onto the field and just do thing he shouldn’t be doing and I see his team response in the same way.

I know, I know one inning in one game, but that’s exactly how it starts.

55. Elton Cod says:

3 runs…feels like a miracle and a blowout. 3 runs is insurmountable, right? It’s really hard to score one run, there are lots of nights it never happens. Nights you score 2 runs, those are lucky/good nights. Gives your pitcher a little wiggle room. 3 runs…3 runs? A bounty, a miracle. I forgot scoring 3 runs was even allowed in the first inning.

56. Jacob the OG says:

A little late but HOLY SHIT CAPTAIN! How could we expect anything less?

In other news, the yankees have scored 3(!) runs, in one inning!!!!!!!!

57. Eddard says:

Jeter’s back and so are the Yankees! BUY BUY BUY CASHMAN! Get the Captain and Mariano some help to make another run at a ring!

58. Jacob the OG says:

The look on Matt Moore’s face after the HR was priceless, it was like “Ahhh, did he really do it again?” I can imagine he and Price now have something to talk about in the dugout.

59. hogsmog says:

Watching that home run gave me chills…

60. vicki says:

do you figure there’s any truth to the breeze about decki and ichi not liking one another?

• Jacob the OG says:

I would believe it, Matsui is calm quiet and collected while Ichiro seems like he would be a total arrogant douche bag

61. James Loney has, like, a .375 average on the road this season. Fucking ridiculous.

62. Carlos Danger says:

I hope Hughes has a short leash tonight, like last game.

63. RetroRob says:

I wonder if it makes more sense to keep Lillibridge on the roster than activating Nix.

64. forensic says:

Maddon just gave the blueprint on how to beat the shift, Cone?

Because no one knew that a bunt would beat every shift???

65. Jacob the OG says:

Yanks 41-2 in Hughes starts where they give him at least 3 runs? That is hard to believe.

66. Wheels says:

Hughes on his way to ruining the party here.

67. Carlos Danger says:

C’mon man! Buckle down here Hughes!

68. Eddard says:

Three runs ain’t gonna be enough for Phil.

69. Brooklyn Nets says:

Honestly what the hell was Ichiro doing on that play?

70. SDB says:

Ugh. Come on Phil, don’t blow the ONE game where the offense actually scores early.

71. forensic says:

Again no shut-down inning.

• Brooklyn Nets says:

A bunt single and a pop out to RF. Hardly Hughes’s fault.

• forensic says:

The ripped double to the RF corner doesn’t count?

• Brooklyn Nets says:

Are you blind? That was a pop up to RF. Ichiro nearly got there playing in LCF.

If Ichiro was playing normal that’s an out. Easily.

• forensic says:

It was a line drive that landed on the dirt. That’s a hard hit ball, not a pop up.

And, I didn’t even say anything about Hughes in particular anyway. All I said was that it’s another non-shut-down inning, which seemingly has been a staff-wide issue.

72. Leg-End says:

Here’s Hughes to spoil all our fun.

73. Frank says:

Is anyone really surprised Hughes is giving it right back?

• Brooklyn Nets says:

Because I’m sure Hughes is the one who told Girardi to employ the shift. And Hughes told Girardi to play Ichiro in LCF against a lefty.

Two shitty calls by Joe. Yet people jump on Hughes. Nothing has been hit hard.

74. Cy Pettitte says:

wow that was a serious gift

75. Eddard says:

Not even borderline, way outside. Stewie sat way outside to make it look better.

76. Wheels says:

Damnit Hughes

77. Loving the inconsistent umpiring, that’s for sure.

78. Brooklyn Nets says:

Good job Phil.

I blame Girardi 100% for that inning.

Stop over-shifting.

79. SDB says:

I can feel my blood pressure slowly coming to normal after that. Whew.

80. Eddard says:

Get the pen up, Girardi. You need this ballgame.

81. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

HERE

I know, I know one inning in one game, but that’s exactly how it starts.

82. stuart a says:

TEXIERA you see the Joyce bunt you moron???

That is what you do to beat the shift you moron.

Not I am what I am bull crap..

Joyce even missed the 1st bunt but the yankee einsteins dared him and he did it….

• Jacob the OG says:

A stands for ass hole

• Bo Knows says:

His premise is right though, so many players are getting over shifted nowadays but none of them even bother bunting. It doesn’t even need to be a good one because to be a single, and it’ll cause teams to revert back to normal positioning.

It’s pure stubbornness that they don’t

• stuart a says:

a hole what I said is correct … texiera if he bunted what 5 times a year the shift would be much less pronounced.

j-ck ass..

83. Cy Pettitte says:

Ortiz almost smashed Pedroia’s head in with the backswing

84. RetroRob says:

Total roid rage from Ortiz.

85. stuart a says:

Ortiz was right the ump is a joke.

3 and 0, umps totally change the strike zone.

it is wrong..

86. RetroRob says:

Cervelli is probably going to be suspended in the coming week. He might as well serve it and hope the hand gets better for next year.

87. Steve says:

Cones mic was clearly cut for dropping the f bomb

88. Brooklyn Nets says:

Certainly don’t miss that about Jeter.

89. Robinson Tilapia says:

Just got in. Missed the Captain’s HR. Can’t wait to see that on the replay.

I hope he never leaves.

90. RetroRob says:

So making one of his outs by a K in 18 straight games is important for what reason?

91. SDB says:

Speaking of bullshit umpiring, Miggy just got thrown out of a game in the middle of his at bat (0-2 count with bases loaded) for questioning a strike.

92. Carlos Danger says:

This strike zone is all over the place.

93. Eddard says:

And he just blew the lead. Get this piece of shit out of the game and out of NY.

94. Anderson Silva says:

what a joke

95. Robinson Tilapia says:

This is what happens when forensic is up early.

96. Cy Pettitte says:

fuck Phil Hughes.

97. forensic says:

Yikes Hughes…

98. Wheels says:

FUCK

99. SDB says:

Dammit Phil.

100. RetroRob says:

Yuck, Phil.

101. Carlos Danger says:

That’s a single in Boston.

102. Frank says:

There’s your game. Hughes is fucking horrible. For God’s sake, just trade him already. Even for a used jock.

103. Lukaszek says:

Petco Park wouldn’t help Phil Hughes with this homerun…

104. mac1 says:

Is there any Yankee fan going to be sorry to see Phil in another uniform?

• Rich says:

Absolutely not. Good riddance I rather have fat boy Joba than this Mr. Softee. His intro music should be the ice cream truck

• mac1 says:

Good one with the ice cream truck music. I don’t hate Phil, I never thought he was more than a #4/5.

He’s had some success, esp. as a reliever. I’m just tired of seeing him underwhelm.

Maybe he goes to a pitchers park and excels, I really don’t care , just want to move on.

I think the Yanks gave him more of a chance than any other guy I can think of in the last 40 years.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Other than April of last year, when was he consistently bad enough that there was a better option to replace him that was passed up?

• mac1 says:

No, prob not. I think there is a couple of things to consider in retrospect though, not to place blame, but to hopefully learn something from.

One, opportunity cost, what could have Hughes brought back in a trade before the luster wore off?

Two, why wasn’t there a better option than Phil Hughes, not just last year, but for the last several years?

Again, not to bash Hughes, just think he’s the wrong pitcher for this ballpark and I think his velocity, command and his conditioning have improved alot this year. He might be on the verge of figuring it all out even in YS. I would give him a QO in the hopes someone offers him a multi year deal and he goes.

Doubt they get much in a trade right now, but if they get something they value more than the pick I’m all for it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think there will be plenty.

105. you should have shot Arod (the other guys) says:

fuck you phil hughes

106. Carlos Danger says:

I hope this is his last start, awful Hughes. He should only pitch on the road if he sucks at life so much at home.

107. BigBlueAL says:

What a buzz kill.

108. forensic says:

Games in SD next weekend we’re going to see. No A-Rod, Hughes is scheduled…

They’re just trying to make it a challenge for me to enjoy them fully, huh?

109. Leg-End says:

Come on Hughes, don’t blow all your trade value in one game.

110. Cy Pettitte says:

I have no idea how anyone defends this piece of shit. Hughes is so mentally weak. If he doesn’t have his very best stuff he completely implodes.

111. number 21 says:

It was bound to happen.

112. Eddard says:

Get this piece of shit out of the game before the game is lost. Trade him away.

113. Phil Hughes departing the Yankees in about the most perfect microcosm that you could imagine.

Goodbye, and good fucking riddance.

114. RetroRob says:

Get Phelps Up…err, Warren.

115. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

I don’t even know what to say. That was just so demoralizing. Way to waste ANOTHER fucking three run lead.

I turned Harry Potter weekend on. They’re not even fun to watch. I have zero confidence that they’ll win this game. I mean, it’s possible. But I just can’t bring myself to feel confident in that possibility.

What a joke.

• forensic says:

They certainly may have used up their runs already, but it’s just a one run deficit and Moore hasn’t been unhittable. This doesn’t have the same feel as most other games (at least not yet). Still some time to see what happens.

It is a little tough that they have no long-man today though, but at least everyone else should be plenty fresh.

They’re winning.

116. Dan says:

Does anyone else love YesView? It’s like having replays in a video games. I wish they’d do it with all sports.

117. Wheels says:

get out of this Phil

118. BigBlueAL says:

Yankees have 2 off days in next 4 days, get Hughes out now. No need to protect the bullpen.

119. Dave says:

Homer Hughes isn’t worth the $7m he is getting this year. Screw the $13.3m qualifying offer just to get a draft pick. Let him walk. Maybe he can pitch better in the NL with a weaker lineup like Burnett. Time to go, Phil. I’ll take Nova over you any day!

• forensic says:

Just for the sake of accuracy, the QO this year is supposed to be closer to about $13.9 million.

• Brian S. says:

And I still think the Yankees should extend him an offer. Hughes at 1-13.9 is eminently tradeable.

Oh, completely agree.

• RetroRob says:

Agreed.

He won’t take it. He’ll get a multi-year off from another team because of his age and the fact that teams know he is not built for Yankee Stadium.

One year at $13.9 M vs. a 3/$30 deal? He’ll take the three years over the lower AAV. He will also get more than 30M, most likely. It is a no-brainer to me to extend the QO.

120. Cy Pettitte says:

ump is not a Lobaton fan, two horrendous called strikes

121. Frank says:

I’ll be shocked if Yanks score off Moore now. He may go Chris Archer on them.

122. you should have shot Arod (the other guys) says:

jeter should go take a dump in hughes locker

123. Rich says:

Btw, can Kay shut up about Myers bat flip. If I hit a bomb I would look at that gutless pitcher and smile too.

124. stuart a says:

slider 3 and 2 on myers. shrewd pitch decision.. afterall throwing your 3rd best pitch to a really good hitter is always the right thing to do.

hughes again.. so both loney hits were right over the plate waist high and the myers homer was a meatball right down the middle waist high.

he is great.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Behind on every guy after putting the guy before him on. Only a matter of time.

Gotta hope for either a reset or quick hook if he gets into the same trouble again. Warren just went three two days ago, though, so you’d have to piece a lot of innings in that case.

125. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

Well that was a nice 2 inning vacation. We’re back!!!

126. Wheels says:

Jeter batting .400!

127. RetroRob says:

While that makes sense, Jeter injured his quad busting it on a ball that could have been a base hit.

128. People are pissed off at the bat flip?

For fuck’s sake. Phil Hughes deserved it after giving up that fucking meatball.

129. forensic says:

Johnson has as much ups as my 20 month old son.

130. forensic says:

Bob Davidson feels much more fulfilled now that he got to call a balk in the series.

131. Anderson Silva says:

great pitch to hit and he pops it up..

132. Cy Pettitte says:

Soriano!!

133. Wheels says:

Soriano!!! awesome

134. crackerdave says:

Going to be a long second half with Nova and Kuroda carrying the pitching load.

135. Lukaszek says:

ALFONZE!!!

136. Frank says:

Takes Hughes out of this game. Please.

137. Eddard says:

SORIANO AND JETER HAVE SAVED THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

138. Robinson Tilapia says:

Sooooooooooori!

139. forensic says:

That lands on the wall in the shortest part of the park, and Soriano has to toss the bat and hop like that? Really hate that.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Doesn’t matter, had sex. I mean…hit a homerun.

But seriously, it doesn’t bother me at all. Yup was a total Yankee Stadium cheapie but its still two runs and the way the offense has been lately I don’t care how they celebrate as long as they score.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

More showmanship. Less dugout violence.

• RetroRob says:

Soriano’s reaction led me to believe it was going to be much further out. That ball could have been caught. Granted, it would have been a great catch robbing him of a HR, but it certainly was in range. Perhaps the ball is not traveling quite as well as usual, or maybe Soriano just doesn’t know the new Stadium.

140. Anderson Silva says:

old time Yanks getting the job done!! Sori!

141. vicki says:

toomanyhomers?

142. mac1 says:

I can’t believe Hal gave up an A Ball pitcher to get that worthless Soriano.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I wonder how the cognitive dissonance works.
      If you disagree with Cashman you are considered an idiot. But Hal disagreed with Cashman who didn’t want to make the trade.

So who’s right? This is a dilemma that not even an appeal to authority can fix.

• mac1 says:

There are no black or white answers. I personally believe the Yanks should field a playoff caliber team every year b/ c they have the financial wherewithall to do so.

It would be great to be able to do so with a large contribution by the farm, but they can’t right now, so I think they need to support the team with deals for guys like Sori, Ruiz, Kendrys, Young, etc.

I’m pro Cash, but he should have also mentioned to the press that he spent 260 mil on Tex and Burnett and he’s the guy who hasn’t developed a pos player from the farm since Gardner.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well you showed me. Regardless I don’t think the rest of the site is as objective.

However if you don’t think Cash can develop players then giving up any prospect for someone who’s only going to help for 2 months really wouldn’t be the best move.

But the thing that hurts the most is the fact that the ownership believers they should be buyers while Cashman is willing to tread it out. There may be moved with a lot more impact. Ownership might very well kill the farm to make that last push for a one game playoff which is probably why most were upset about the Soriano trade.

• RetroRob says:

Were most upset with the Soriano trade? Serious question.

My concern is that the Yankees may end up trading a good deal of talent to try and plug some holes, and damage themselves longer term.

Black for Soriano doesn’t concern me much. If they trade away some better prospects for a couple month rental, that would bother me.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, I don’t understand why anyone would be upset with the trade itself.

The fact that Hal overruled Cash, though, is pretty worrying.

• mac1 says:

Its not that Cash can’t dev players, its just that he’s underperformed. Some of that may be Hal’s fault, he may have cut the purse strings and is the reason behind signing guys like Culver, D Bich.

Maybe Cash would like to revamp he player dev personnel and he isn’t allowed to?

People here had fits over giving up guys like Aroyds and Tabata. They haven’t given up guys like McGee, Mc Griff, Drabek and Lowell (at least not yet).

Even the guys who have had success like Kennedy, AJax, Clippard, etc would they have really been difference makers? Maybe they will, eemains to be seen.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Why isn’t it more likely that those players have underperformed? I don’t see Cash there at the gym with them every day.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Have we retroactively decided that Austin Jackson was not developed by the Yankees?

Don’t bother.

• mac1 says:

Is Ajax really that great. He’s opsing about .740.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What exactly is your threshold for “developing a position player?”

• mac1 says:

An above average offensive player, a difference maker, better than you could reasonably acquire through fa.

Ajax doen’t have power and doesn’t steal bases. K’s alot. Defensively no qualms. He’s a good player and may get better. I think the Yanks got alot from Grandy, its the type of deal I view as a success.

He’s developing, but developing is a slow road alot of times, I personally don’t feel the Yanks can or should wait for a player like AJax, esp. if they can return a productive ML player in his prime like Grandy was.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That’s not the same thing. I think your bar’s way too high to develop an effective argument there. Sorry.

• mac1 says:

I really don’t think so. The other point is Cash got alot of value in return for what Ajax is now.

The book isn’t closed on that of course, but for the Yanks to wait years on dev an AJax isn’t fruitful IMO.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I loudly support the Granderson trade whenever someone bitches about it, I’d make it again tomorrow.

I’m just saying that AJax is a good starting CF in the MLB who spent his entire MiLB career in the Yankees’ system, so it’s incorrect to say that Cash hasn’t developed a position player since Gardner.

143. Frank says:

Sori saying to himself ” I’m going to love hitting here.”

144. Derbs says:

Derek Jeter with the single and Alfonso Soriano with the HR…is this 2003?

145. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

I’m not going to celebrate unless we get like a 5 run lead, we all know Hughes is going to cough this up next inning.

146. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Kick-ass.

147. Dan says:

Two righty homers in one game? This is madness!

148. Cy Pettitte says:

Sterling’s HR call?

149. Wheels says:

Drive up that pitch count.

150. Frank says:

Girardi now has to figure out who pitches. It’s only top of 4th. Hughes isn’t lasting- may not make it out of this inning.

151. Robinson Tilapia says:

I just realized Adams is playing first. I guess that’s a good thing.

152. Anderson Silva says:

strikezone is huge for Moore. Inside, outside, it doesnt matter, he gets the calls everywhere

153. Cy Pettitte says:

fucking Hughes. why is he even in this game.

154. SDB says:

Fucksake, why is Phil still throwing BP?

155. Robinson Tilapia says:

Wow. So classless of the Sox to poke fun at Ortiz’s violent act. Any sensible organization would not make light of it and fine him up the ass. Ridiculous.

156. Oh go fuck yourself Phil Hughes.

157. Wheels says:

Hughes just stinks.

158. forensic says:

I was just about to post that Girardi trying to get Hughes the all-important win will likely cost them here.

Unfortunately, Hughes and Myers didn’t even give me the time to post it.

159. Anderson Silva says:

I think there’s still time to allow another HR

160. RetroRob says:

Well, on a personal positive, I do have Myers on my fantasy team.

Yet I wish he hadn’t hit that.

• SDB says:

Same here. I’d happily trade the 2 HRs/4 RBIs today (which are just keeping me competitive in this week’s h2h) for a 5-0 scoreline.

161. Robinson Tilapia says:

How is Harry Potter doing?

162. ArchStanton says:

Freaking Hughes.

163. Karl Krawfid says:

You would think Phil would have learned a 2-seamer by now.

A sinker or something shit.

164. “Demote Hughes to AA immediately!” – The late George Steingrabber

165. forensic says:

“Why doesn’t Hughes just get thrown away?”

– My Wife

We’re a perfect fit.

166. Goodbye, Phil.

Don’t let the door…

167. Robinson Tilapia says:

Hook came one guy too late, but hard to predict the solo HR there.

Crowd has a right to be pissed. So many proud moments being overshadowed here today.

168. ArchStanton says:

Pull him already!

169. Winter says:

For anyone interested in actually hearing Sterling’s HR call for Soriano (it’s terrible), here you go:

170. Eddard says:

Reporter: Joe, why was Phil still in the ballgame with a slim 1 run lead?

Girardi: Well, I wanted to get Hughesy the W and I liked the righty-righty match up with Meyers. He really deserved a win today. I thought he looked real good and just caught a few bad breaks.

171. forensic says:

Terrible decision by Adams.

Worse baserunning by Joyce.

172. JobaWockeeZ says:

It’s a shame that if this is Hughes’ last start that he got booed off when Girardi should’ve taken him a lot sooner.

173. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Hughes blew the lead?

I’m shocked. Shocked.

174. Wil Myers has a fucking .900 OPS. That might be higher than any Yankees player has. And he’s a fucking rookie.

• Anderson Silva says:

He’s also a good young player and Cashman doesnt like those types

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If Cashman were offered Wil Myers for Hiroki last offseason he would’ve done it.

Ownership would’ve had a panic attack at such a thought and wouldn’t have hung Cashman for such a heretical thought. Misplaced aggression here. Or that’s what I think at least.

• Anderson Silva says:

Yeah, because every decision Cashman has made has been great and every time something goes wrong, it was ownership going over his head. Really?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

You’ve never read any of my comments I take it. I’m not going to bother, you win.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

There is not one person on here who would agree with that.

However, anything less that “Cashman Failed” is seen as a blank check approval of everything within ten feet of him by really dumb people on here. If you can’t see the nuance behind what adult fans on here say, then you’re a dumb person, and its not my problem whether you’re dumb or not. That’s for you to deal with.

You can have your need for a fall guy every second. I don’t need to have that. I don’t need to sit there and hand out blame for everything.

• Anderson Silva says:

I do admit my blame of Cashman sometimes goes over the top, but it pisses me off that people in here give him a free pass and use this “ownership bs” as an excuse.

I think Cashman is not working out anymore for this organisation and it’s time to get different people with different ideas.

At the end of the day we have to look at the situation objectively and the bottom line is, he has left this team with almost no talent to compete in the coming years, something that goes completely against his initial proposal of rebuilding the farm. Basically he got his powers because he said he was going to do something, and he didn’t.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Let’s see if you feel that same way a year from now. For real. No snark there.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Also, I’ve said this before, but I don’t think anyone should be GM anywhere forever. I just don’t think it’s healthy.

I actually agree here.

• Not everything has to be a Cashman bashing session. Get a grip.

• Winter says:

Cano had him beat coming into today, although at the moment Myers leads him by .007.

175. stuart a says:

6 years of hughes. time to move on.

they have shown patience in this case, he will go to the dodgers, padres, or angels next year and do well in a bigger ballpark.

sf would be ideal for him.

move on time.

176. SUN talking about the Rays pitchers and their flying hip checks.

So glad the Yankees let them do that shit on Yankee Stadium turf. So proud of that.

177. Anderson Silva says:

BS call, that wasn’t a strike.

178. Wheels says:

WTF? not even close

179. stuart a says:

same pitch he called lobaton out on 2 times.

no need to watch wells is up

180. Wheels says:

Sick play Robbie

181. Stanislaw says:

You know what else is Cashman’s fault?

-The US Deficit
    -The fact that Santa Claus isn’t real
    -Twinkies being gone for as long as they were
    -AIDS, Cancer, HPV, and MRSA
    -Steriods in baseball
    -World hunger

182. Anderson Silva says:

that Ichiro hit off a bouncing pitch was sick. Had never seem that clip before, amazing

183. Eddard says:

ICHY! What a day, what a career in honor of his comrade Hideki. Now bunt him over and drive him in.

184. Thanks for torpedoing the inning, Brent.

185. Eddard says:

Bottom of the lineup is still awful. I guess you set up Kelley-Drob-Mo 7-8-9 and hope you can score a run in the next 3 innings. Don’t bring in Boone unless absolutely forced to.

186. Eddard says:

If Boone gives up a HR here Girardi should be fired immediately after the game. Kelley-Drob-Mo is the formula.

187. Anderson Silva says:

heckuva play. Yankees are making all the plays on the field today.

188. nsalem says:

IBBSean

189. Karl Krawfid says:

Score is 55.

Hideki Matusi wore number 55.

omg.

190. Anderson Silva says:

it’s another cold streak for Cano. I hope this one doesn’t last as long as the last one

191. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Calling a Jeter walk off HOME RUN to win this game.

192. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Tino going a little crazy in Florida.

193. Winter says:

Apparently Soriano and Kuroda were teammates in Japan. Small world.

194. Anderson Silva says:

I wonder what the hell he was looking for..

195. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

How on EARTH, after that whole at-bat, can you look at that pitch?

196. Gonzalo Hiram says:

Why is he bringing Overbay for Wells when Wells has good numbers against Peralta.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

The last hit Wells got against Peralta came in 2008.
      Those numbers aren’t very useful.

197. Seems like, during this entire season, by the time the late innings roll around, I’m just bored and tired and wanting to finally be done watching the Yankees for the day.

Becoming an old hat routine by now.

198. stuart a says:

wells is awful that is why. he has as many extra base hits as I do..

you should be pissed at overbay for watching a pitch right down the middle and not swinging

199. Eddard says:

Ichy’s honoring Hideki today. Now bunt him over this time and drive him home. I realize that’s hard to do with the inept bottom of the order. And now they can’t even PH Overbay for Adams.

200. Eddard says:

I can’t believe Adams and Stewie didn’t come through there. Seriously, why won’t they let A-Rod play?

201. stuart a says:

stewart under 230 but according to kay it is 250. also under 230 and swinging at balls often.

202. trr says:

Don’t like seeing Mo in these situations….

203. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Nice scoop.

204. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Robbie is ludicrously good. Nobody was near that ball off the bat.

205. trr says:

Nice scoop by Adams, as a 1b-man, I like

206. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Also, this is an awesome crowd.

207. Wheels says:

Get it done Yankees.

208. vicki says:

rally.

209. Eddard says:

BALL 4! BUNT HIM OVER AND DRIVE HIM HOME!!!!!

210. trr says:

Startin’ it off

211. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Why on EARTH would you bunt Jeter? That would be one of the more stupid decisions I’ve ever seen Joe make.

212. Eddard says:

YES! Brilliant move, Girardi! Now bunt him to 3rd!

213. Cy Pettitte says:

that worked out well

214. Anderson Silva says:

theres our break, Captain will win this here

215. Wheels says:

boooooooo

216. trr says:

They only did it to induce the WP
    What?

217. Eddard says:

BOO! Who intentionally walks Jeter to get to Robbie Cano? Unbelievable.

218. Well change strategy alert.

219. Cy Pettitte says:

IBB Jeter to pitch to Cano? wat.

220. Anderson Silva says:

crazy move.. I dont really feel confident with Cano here. He’s been crappy lately

221. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

FEAR OF THE LEGEND!

222. Kevin G. says:

Maddon’s got a steel pair of balls I’ll tell you that

223. trr says:

The old lefty/lefty theory

224. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Damn Robbie looks bad. Pull it together here, dude.

225. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

How the move look now????

226. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

That was one of the worst at bats I’ve EVER seen.

227. SDB says:

Goddammit Robbie.

228. Eddard says:

The guy only throws that heat, how are they fooled?

229. trr says:

Bad job by Robby on that AB

230. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Awful AB

231. SDB says:

SORI!!!!!!

232. Wheels says:

Yankees win!!!!

233. Eddard says:

SORIANO AND JETER HAVE SAVED THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!! THE SEASON IS SAVED!!!!!!

234. Leg-End says:

Sorianoooooooooooooo.

235. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

And all is forgiven, Robbie.

236. Anderson Silva says:

predictably, he didnt come through.

237. Cy Pettitte says:

SORIANO!!!!!

238. vicki says:

classic.

239. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

sori!!!!

240. Anderson Silva says:

SORIIIIIIIANO!!!! TRUE YANKEE!!!

241. Eddard says:

TAKE THAT TO SAN DIEGO, CASHMAN!!!!!!! WE NEED SORIANO!!!

242. I Collect Brett Gardner CardsCX says:

Everything Old Is New Again!!!

243. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores says:

Let’s party like it’s 2003.

244. number 21 says:

Soriano!!

245. I Collect Brett Gardner CardsCX says:

Jeter, Mo Sori, And Godzilla~

246. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Cashman FAILS

Ownerships WINS

Most important

YANKEES WINS!!!!

• Jim is a (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Shhhh Soriano doesn’t make a difference to this lineup…

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Not at all neither does that old, no range, SS who they should of never given a new contract to.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Are you really saying that Cashman didn’t want to give a contract to Jeter? You know that’s bullshit.

He just told Jeter that he could look around if he didn’t like what the Yanks were offering and see if any other team would guarantee a 37 year old SS with no range coming off a below average offensive season over $50 million.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

How is it working out?

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I really didn’t meaning towards Cashman more to all the others who have put a nail in Jeter’s coffin more then once.

cough…Mike Axisa…cough

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

It’s working out much better than it would have if they had simply given Jeter however much money he wanted, because they still have Jeter and his production, and are less hamstrung than they would have been otherwise.

247. Gatorade shower by Brett Gardner, yay

248. JMK says:

Who is this blond chick not named Meredith? She’s really awkward on camera.

249. Eddard says:

Brian Cashman should be fired. He didn’t want to try. He didn’t want to win this year. Hal was right and Cashman has gotta go.

• Alan says:

If I’m reading this correctly, Cashman wanted the same deal, but wanted to wait a few more days so their asking price lowered itself further.

Being dramatic is fun though.

250. mac1 says:

Should have kept the A ball pitcher that may never throw a pitch in the bigs.

251. trr says:

Got him! A good sport!
    He was always a happy SOB

252. Wheels says:

big grin here

253. dkidd says:

WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!!!

254. Meeks54 says:

Yes!!!!! Soriano!!!

255. BigBlueAL says:

Every time Im ready to quit this team they pull me right back in….

256. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Well that wasn’t a bad day.

257. nycsportzfan says:

And theres the trade paying off all ready! Fantastic games by Soriano, Ichiro, and Jeter!

Shout out to Preston Claiborne as well! I was asking Mike if he thought CLaiborne could set up Robertson next yr, and he never answered me. I think Preston just did.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Its one game, but Cashman is impeccable….LOL

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

timing

• nycsportzfan says:

Dosen’t matter if its one game or not. It symbolized much more then that. It symbolized what this team is with Soriano and jeter in the lineup and lets the rest of the league know that were not pushovers no more and not the team that can’t hit a lick, which are stats indicate.

• Carlos Danger says:

All deals negotiated by ownership, yes they all may implode but they looked gooooood today! The reverse lock held true.

Trade Hughes please, thanks!

258. Not backing off what I said earlier, though.

One win in three tries from the Rays, at Yankee Stadium. Whoopdie freakin doo.

• trr says:

Let’s enjoy the day

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

You can’t climb a mountain until you take the first step.

• vicki says:

yeah, and i’ll say again, because you didn’t understand the first time: the game doesn’t have to mean anything. forget the standings, the post-season. every game is a drama unto itself.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yup, we were competitive and didn’t get swept by the hottest team in baseball.

That’s a good thing.

259. stuart a says:

nice win. any win is a good win…

cano good ab in the 9th….

Soriano is not great but he will help. he hits it out on occasion and hits doubles. he is better then wells with a broken arm. almonte is there 2nd best left fielder..

260. stuart a says:

get granderson back game 1 against san diego and that will help a ton…

I play romine 1/2 the time now, any advantage stewart had offensively has disappeared…