Jul

Klapisch: Yankees aren’t particularly interested in Marlon Byrd

Via Bob Klapisch: The Yankees are not particularly interested in outfielder Marlon Byrd. The Mets have said they intend to hold onto him unless they’re blown away with offer, which could just be posturing. Then again, they did hold onto Scott Hairston for no apparent reason last summer, so who knows.

Byrd, 35, has hit .271/.316/.502 (125 wRC+) with 15 homers this year, his best season in about six years now. He’s transformed himself from more of a contact hitter into a power guy by simply swinging out of his shoes more often: Byrd has his highest fly ball rate (38.4%), homer-to-fly ball rate (19.7%), and swing-and-miss rate (14.9%) in years. The last two numbers are career highs by far. The Mets are paying Byrd just $700k total in 2013 and the Yankees sure could use some right-handed power, but I’m not really expecting the two crosstown rivals to get together for a deal.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. Steve (different one) says:

Would be fun watching fans cheer for Byrd while booing ARod…

2. FIPster Doofus says:

Bring back Raul.

• The Bastard says:

Why didn’t they?

• FIPster Doofus says:

Probably because he’s 41 and the front office figured last season was all he had left. They turned out to be wrong, but it was an understandable decision at the time. I love Ibanez, though, and would welcome him back for the stretch run.

3. Preston says:

I have no interest in Marlon Byrd either. I’d rather stick with the three guys we have, especially now that Grandy is swinging again.

4. I'm One says:

I don’t think it’s worth making the Mets an offer that would blow them away for Byrd. But his salary is low and the added right handed power would be great. Would be nice to have if he was cheap.

(Then again, the Yankees have turned away players that would be upgrades over what they have now that were basically free, so who knows what they’re thinking.)

5. Dan says:

If J.R. Murphy is included in any deal I am done with this season.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Neither am I.

7. Anthonyddff says:

What about a decent reliever not Parnell and marlon
    Byrd for Phil Hughes .. Make sense for both teams