Aug

Heathcott and Montgomery placed on minor league DL

6:05pm: Nick Peruffo reports Heathcott is heading to the team’s complex in Tampa and will have an MRI. He says it sounds like the outfielder is done for the year. The minor league season ends in less than three weeks anyway.

5:00pm: Via Mike Ashmore: OF Slade Heathcott has been placed on the Double-A Trenton DL with with right knee tendinopathy, which, from what I understand, is damage to the tendon without the typical inflammation that comes with tendinitis. No word on how long the team’s third best prospect will be sidelined. The 22-year-old Heathcott has a long injury history, mostly involving his twice surgically repaired left shoulder. He’s hit .261/.327/.411 (103 wRC+) with eight homers and 15 steals in a career-high (by far) 444 plate appearances for the Thunder, including a .283/.355/.448 line over his last 60 games.

In other minor league injury news, RHP Mark Montgomery has been placed on the Triple-A Scranton DL according to Donnie Collins. He left Saturday’s game with a shoulder issue and I assume the DL stint is related. If so, this is his third shoulder-related DL trip of the season. Montgomery, 22, has a 3.38 ERA (4.00 FIP) in 40 Triple-A innings with an excellent strikeout rate (11.03 K/9 and 28.0 K%) that is actually well below what he had done in previous years (14.56 K/9 and 40.0 K% from 2011-12). His control has completely deteriorated this summer (5.63 BB/9 and 14.3 BB%). I ranked Montgomery as the the team’s 17th best prospect in my latest update. Had he been healthy and productive this year, chances are he would have been in the big leagues already.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. adjusts batting gloves says:

So excited to be the first to say “Cashman Failed!”
    Or maybe I’m no longer first…oh well. #Cashman Failed.
    Actually, I do wonder why Montgomery’s shoulder issue, presumably leading to surgery sidelining him for all of 2014, etc. wasn’t detected earlier. Shades of the Banuelos thing, last year.

2. RetroRob says:

Too bad on Heathcott, although he adjusted as his first AA season progressed. I suspect both Heathcott and Austin will be in AAA next season.

• Laz says:

I would be surprised if they both started there. Slade adjusted, but Austin has done nothing to prove he is even strong enough offensively as a RFer this year. I wouldn’t be surprised Slade in AA too, just to see what how he is doing in the spring and then move him up.

• RetroRob says:

I too wouldn’t be shocked if they were in AA to start, but I expect the team to move them along. In the end, though, it is difficult to tell by the numbers. Teams evaluate players not on numbers, but on skills and what they’re seeing on the field.

Heathcott, for example, does not have spectacular numbers, but they were good once he adjusted. He’s also a little older, so a bump up seems likely. Austin is more difficult. His numbers weren’t good either; however, he was coming on strong up until a few weeks prior to being DL’d. His wrist was injured, so that could explain quite a bit, or maybe that’s just the easy belief. How he looks in Arizona (if they send him there) might heavily determine where he starts in 2014. He is still just 21.

3. David says:

I have some doubts about the competency of the Yankees medical staffs. Is there any comparison of team injury rates across baseball that might shed light on that?

4. trr says:

The injury wheel spins on…to me it’s always more bothersome when it’s a young player.

5. Robinson Tilapia says:

Maybe it’s my lack of attachment to relief prospects, but I’ve never cared much about Montgomery. I hope this isn’t a precursor to something else, but you can always find good relievers.

With Slade, it’s almost the end of the season and it seems like he showed improvement and adjustment to level during the second half of the season. Even if he were to return for the last, what, three weeks or so of the AA season, I look forward to him being in AAA at some point next season and making his case.

Of course, FIRE ALL TEH DOCTORZ.

6. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says: