Aug

Offense picks up shaky Sabathia in blowout win over Angels

Source: FanGraphs

Three wins in a row! Four wins in the last five games! Competitive baseball! The Yankees looked as good as they’ve looked all season on Tuesday night, at least offensively. They hit for power (three doubles and three homers), they hit for average (season-high 19 hits), they drew walks (five), they hit with runners in scoring position (5-for-13, .385), they pounded the other team’s bullpen (ten runs and 15 base-runners in 3.2 innings) … it was glorious. An ol’ fashioned Bronx Bombers beatdown.

Alfonso Soriano was the star of the night, going 3-for-6 with two homers and a career-high six runs batted in. Is that’s weird? Soriano’s been playing forever — plus he has three three-homer games to his credit — yet he’d never driven in six runs in one game until Tuesday. Baseball, man. Eduardo Nunez drove in a career-high tying four runs and Alex Rodriguez also drove in a pair with a booming double off the base of the left-center field wall. Curtis Granderson and Lyle Overbay had three hits apiece — the Grandyman is really starting to swing the bat well — and Robinson Cano had both a pair of hits and a pair of walks. Every position player, including pinch-hitter Brett Gardner, reached base at least once. Eight of ten guys reached at least twice. It was a total team effort. Oh, and Vernon Wells hit his first homer since like 2011. Actually mid-May, but who’s keeping track?

All of that offense helped cover for CC Sabathia, who was again shaky despite recording the bare minimum quality start (three runs in six innings). The big lefty walked a career-high tying six batters, which he’s done thrice before. Things would have been a lot worse if not for a fortunate (and from what I understand, incorrect) call to end the sixth inning, when Chris Nelson was called out at third base for leaving too early on a sacrifice fly. If that run scores, the game is tied and everything changes. Bullpen usage, pinch-hitters, everything. That call was a game-changer and goes to show how much help Sabathia needs to be effective these days. He’s a mess.

Dellin Betances had a rough first outing since being called up (four runs in two-thirds of an inning), but he hadn’t pitched in a while and had to sit through a poorly timed rain delay. I’m giving him a mulligan. Hopefully he does better next time. Shawn Kelley was the bullpen hero, retiring four of the five men he faced to escape Sabathia’s jam in the seventh and give the offense enough time to blow things open. Outside of Kelley, the team’s core relievers all got a much needed night off. That’s big.

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights, FanGraphs some other stats, and ESPN the updated standings. The Yankees climbed to within six games of the second wildcard spot in the loss column, and Cool Standings says they have a 5.7% chance of making the postseason. They keep chipping away, but they will need to pick up the pace if they’re serious about playing October baseball. Ivan Nova will oppose Jered Weaver as the Bombers look for their fourth straight win on Wednesday night. RAB Tickets can get you in the door if you want to catch the game live.

* * *

Minor League Update: Sorry folks, no full update tonight. All of the regular box scores are available right here while the Short Season NY-Penn League All-Star Game box score is right here. C J.R. Murphy and 2B Gosuke Katoh both homered, SS Cito Culver had two hits in his High-A Tampa debut, and SS Abi Avelino reached base three times (single and two walks). Not much else going on, but go ahead and click the links anyway.

1. vicki says:

babe goldschmidt.

2. Kramerica Industries says:

So, umm, that Orioles/Dbacks game.

In the 9th, I said this:

He did this:

In the 11th, I made the same request:

He did this:

Narrative defeated – you CAN predict baseball.

3. Kramerica Industries says:

Oh too many links, that’s irritating. Lets just say that my twitter feed on Goldschmidt bears out that you CAN predict baseball.

• Kiko Jones says:

Anybody predict Tuesday night’s Yankee lineup would do well, let alone rout the Halos?
      You can predict SOME aspects of baseball, otherwise the Jays would be in 1st place, like everyone predicted they would. On paper.

• Former ACE MannyGeee says:

According to the first 50 or so responses on yesterday’s game thread, it appears you can also oppo-predict baseball…

“This Lineup is teh Suck” * 50 = 12 run explosions…

• trr says:

not me. I took a look at that lineup and visions of a 4-1 loss danced in my head.

Glad to be so wrong!

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Somewhere TomH is huddled in a corner, crying.

4. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I thought the shitty call made up in some ways for the awful defense. I mean, come on, Nunez. Touch the damn base. And what’s with nobody being at first? Really?

If that DP is correctly turned we’re out of that inning no runs scored. And THAT changes everything.

5. Kramerica Industries says:

So, a Matt Carpenter hustle double is wasted, since batting behind Beltran and Allen Craig is the pitchers spot, which could not be filled since the Cardinals bench has run dry.

As such, we all got to see Seth Manness feebily strike out with the bases loaded in the 13th inning of a 3-3 game. NL baseball, “real” baseball with “strategy” is so damn stupid.

• vicki says:

i used to think it was goofy, their obliging the pitcher to hit. then i spent some time with chris stewart and jayson nix.

6. Get Phelps Up says:

I’m really hoping for another 19 inning Pirates game.

7. vicki says:

don’t look now but coolstandings has us at 6%!

8. Mickey Scheister says:

I picked a terrible game to miss. I’m pretty sure they scored more runs today than they did in the previous four or five games I’ve watched, which speaks more to the awfulness of the Angels entire pitching staff than the incredible offensive juggernaut the Yanks have transformed into. But on the plus side, The Wolverine was a good movie with a trademark Marvel teaser for the next flick.

9. ialien says:

another disasterous win. too good to get a good draft pick, not good enough to make playoffs.

staying over 500 only delays the need to rebuild this team, & will extend mediocrity & misery longer.

im mystified why this team keeps trying! if you feel the need to attack my comments, then state what good the yankees are doing trying to almost make the playoffs. you really think 5 teams are gonna collapse for them?

• Herm Edwards says:

You play to win the game!

• Kramerica Industries says:

Because the nature of being a fan is to hope the team you root for wins?

I mean, if we are only wanting the Yankees to lose, we better not watch at all. That’s just stupid.

• vicki says:

one doesn’t suck for luck in baseball, genius.

winning games is fun, whether they lead to october or no.

• Kiko Jones says:

Well, aside from the fact that, at its core, the essence of the game is to win—and as fans we should act as such not like, I dunno, hedge fund managers—it turns out every team in the AL East, except the Red Sox and Yankees, is in the midst of a multi-game slide.

• ialien says:

Hal is shooting for 189m & 2/3 of the players will be gone next season. Its unambiguously rebuilding time.

I’m just looking at the big picture, not a bunch of dead-end wins that is only winning the yankees out of a better draft. No playoffs & diminished draft = the worst of both worlds.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

But haven’t you heard, the Yankees can’t develop prospects. So there’s no point in drafting higher, right?

No, I’ll never root to suck. Even if we trade away everyone and play a bunch of scrubs a la the astros, I’ll be rooting to win every game they play. Not once has a team I’ve rooted for lost and I’ve been anything but upset.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Is this going to be something we hear after every win now?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Another disastrous “fan.”

Like Axisa said, we’re goin’ dooooooooown in a blaaaaaaaze of gloooo-rayh!

• darren says:

There’s no such thing as rebuilding, not when you don’t have a good farm to start with. Tanking the season for one draft pick is ridiculous, considering how unpredictable young baseball talent is. Also, it’s really just an intellectual exercise; it’s not like Girardi and the 25 men on the roster are going to tank because they give a shit about drafting position.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

lol

• Mac says:

The difference between drafting in the top 3-5 and outside the top 10 might actually be worth tanking. However, the Yankees are very much on the edge of the playoff race. The difference between drafting, say, 10 and 15 is probably not enough to justify tanking. Yankees are much closer to a playoff spot than a top 5 pick. (5.5 games vs. 9.5 games.)

At 5.5 games back with 44 games to play you don’t need other teams to collapse. You just need to play very well and pick up a little bit over 1 game in the standings every 10 games played. It’s not that likely to happen, but it’s really not hard to do if the Yankees control their own destiny and play very well down the stretch. They have what amounts to a new (much improved) lineup out there, which also helps.

In terms of rebuilding. The Red Sox did it in one season without much of any help from their farm system. They have a few top prospects, but other than Iglesias’ ridiculous hot streak they didn’t much help out. If they are willing to exceed 189 or get some help from A-Rod’s suspension there are a few quality FAs out there. A few marginal upgrades, some health luck and the Yankees can easily contend next season. With average health luck the Yankees are probably right there in the wild card this season.

• YanksFan says:

Absolutely. No one thought Boston would be this good. Who knows if it’s sustainable for next year. WMB has not lived up to any billing yet. Let’s see w/ Bradley & Bogarts, let alone the pitchers.

There are 4 teams ahead of the NYY. 2 of them are KC & Cle within 2 games. The other 2 are Baltimore & TB who are max 5.5 ahead. They play 7 more vs. Balt. & 6 more vs. TB. If they can go 10-3, maybe even 9-4 in those games, they’re right there. Hell 8-5(a 100 win pace in SSS) gets you there. Let’s not forget the 7 games they have with each other.

10. villapalomares says:

I counted five Yankee mistakes in the first three innings:
    1. Wells missed the foul pop.
    2. CC hung a breaking ball to Trumbo.
    3. Nix picked off first
    4. Nix’s error on the bunt.
    5. Nunez missed second base on the force play.

This looked like a sure, sloppy loss. You can’t predict baseball Suzyn.

11. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Don’t look now, but after tonight the Yanks have not two, not three but four players who have produced league average or better offense over enough PA to qualify for the batting title.

Welcome to the club, Alfonso Soriano and Lyle Overbay.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Shit, that last sentence should read “Welcome to the acceptable production club, Alfonso Soriano and Lyle Overbay.”

• Angelo says:

Can we just go back to 2006? I think that was when Cano hit .342 and hit 9th in the line up.

…All I know is that those guys could really hit.

12. Richard Leo says:

what’s your guys’ thoughts on Betances’ appearance?actually i think it is OK

• Wheels says:

I think it was fine, it was a weird scenario with the rain delay and all, and he had a sick little stretch before Nunez made that crappy throw. Nothing to be alarmed about.

• Angelo says:

No big deal for now.

• ropeadope says:

Believe we need to gather more evidence. Pessimists will say he’ll give 67.5 hits and 54 runs per nine innings. Optimists will say he’ll strike out 27 per nine innings. All stats at tonight’s rate, of course. Obviously both statements are ludicrous. I do see potential, but let’s wait for more substantive data.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Like Axisa said, rain delay, but also a bit too much reliance on the fastball. Seemed like he got a bit too pumped up after those strikeouts and tried to blow everyone else away with a kinda flat fastball.

He’ll be fine.

• Darren says:

No way you can say he’ll be fine, same we you can’t say he’ll be horrible.
        In fact, didn’t his first MLB appearance result in a similar meltdown, but with walks? I think I was at that game.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Actually, I just said he’ll be fine, so you’re technically wrong, Darren.

C’mon, dude. Are you really seriously thinking I’m guaranteeing success based on one appearance? Read my posts and tell me if that sounds like me.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Polyanna.

• Darren says:

LOL, you got me. To clarify, I know you’re not guaranteing success with one throwaway comment, but what I meant is that “He’ll be fine” is usually reserved for players who have a track record of success and maybe are struggling at the start of the year or something. I mean, I HOPE he’ll be fine, but he could be a total zero, or the next Mo (how cool would THAT be?)…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What I mean more is that my feeling is that what we saw was a whole lot of bad pitch selection and adrenaline. He blew the early guys away and then thought he could blow everyone else away. I think that’s something that would be completely within the boundaries of “workable.” He’s got the stuff, and the relief role, thus far, seems to suit him very well.

There’s never been a point in this guy’s career where he hasn’t been a “work in progress” at every level, and perhaps how he disguises that fastball better is going to determine whether he’s more the Dellin we saw those first at-bats or the Dellin we saw the latter at-bats.

I’ve given this kid the benefit of the doubt every step of the way. He’s a Brooklyn kid. I remember him as a high school phenom. Very few things, as a Yankee fan, would make me happier than to see him succeed in pinstripes.

13. KenC says:

Cano walked twice! Now hes on pace to walk over 80 times!

• ropeadope says:

Hope Kabak is stocking up on salt.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Maple syrup.

Bourbon. Gotta wash that stuff down somehow.

• ropeadope says:

lol, if I could add unlimited amounts of maple syrup, I may begin including hats in my meals as well. Oh no, now I feel like going to IHOP. Hold on, I recall seeing a Denny’s “build your own pancakes” commercial last night. Not sure there’s a Denny’s nearby, but I’m now craving chocolate chip – bacon pancakes, and I don’t even think that’s a sensible combo. But I gots to have it!

Damn it RT, you just HAD to mention maple syrup.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I hate to break it to you, but what they serve at Denny’s and IHOP ain’t maple syrup. Real maple syrup is something of the gods.

It’s been a while since I’ve had myself a Rooty Tooty Fresh N Fruity, though.

• ropeadope says:

You’re killin’ me RT. Not real maple syrup at those fine dining establishments? America ain’t what it used to be. How about the maple syrup available in the supermarkets? Log Cabin? Vermont? Aunt Jemima? Mrs. Butterworth? Hungry Jack? Please, please, please don’t tell me they ain’t the genuine article.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Mrs. Butterworth is the real deal, but I ain’t talking about the syrup.

• ropeadope says:

Oh, there truly is nothing left to live for (other than solving your Mrs. Butterworth riddle). I’m goin’ back to bed. Maybe catch you in the game thread later.

• Former ACE MannyGeee says:

In a similar position, I may go with a Tempura or beer battered deep fry.

Another alternative:

14. nycsportzfan says:

Only 5.5 outta the WC. If only would could get the Cap back in this lineup for the duration of this season, we’d be pretty potent.

15. nycsportzfan says:

There is a article in the post about worse contracts then AROD, and its basically every big contract in baseball..lol Why teams still give these dudes these huge contracts is beyond me? When will they learn? I would never give cano a long contract. Let some other team hate that contract 2yrs in.

The rangers gave Andrus a 9yr contract???lol

16. Kosmo says:

Yanks should consider picking up Konerko who was placed on waivers.

17. pat says:

No DOtF? I’d like to know where my RAB Gold Club membership fees are going then.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I bet Mike’s been writing his colums from a beach chair in St. Lucia for the past three weeks.

Too bad. It’s the rainy season there. I learned that the hard way.

18. Robinson Tilapia says:

6%? I’ll take it. SHOCK THE WORLD.

19. Caballo Sin Nombre says:

“League average offense” by a DH, corner OF or 1B, is not “league average offense” for a DH, corner OF or 1B.

20. vafaculu says:

Impressive debut by Betances. Another prime example of Cashman’s glorified minor league system.

• John C says:

Shut up dickhead!. He had to endure a rain delay plus hadn’t pitched in a while. One problem is he threw too many fastballs. HNitters knew what was coming after a while. I give him a pass on this one. Not like he was wild and walking everyone.

21. Rick says:

I’m hoping Cito is one of the guys that hits better as he faces better pitching. Maybe he’s someone who’s more comfortable in the box knowing the more advanced pitchers have more control over the pitches their throwing.

22. JLC 776 says:

I (pointlessly) called for us to take 5 out of 6 (I didn’t realize this was a four game series) against the Tigers and Angels. One win to go, baby! And then I win a nice Internet cookie!

23. mt says:

Mike,

The minimum for a quality start, I believe, is a maximum of three EARNED runs in a mnimum of six innings – CC allowed only two earned runs in a minimum of six innings so he was better than the minimum (not saying he pitched great; just clarifying the definition of quality start).

Good to see a game with some runs scored – I kept staring at the upper right hand Yes summary on the TV screen when it got to 9,12,14 runs because I couldn’t actually believe the numbers were for the Yankees. Not sure if it was mostly good Yankees offense or bad Angels pitching.

Now we face better pitchers Jered Weaver and CJ Wilson in next two games – I hope we take at least one of two to make two series in a row. The real test will be Friday against “Yankee killer” Doubront.

24. John C says:

Hard to beleive but the pitching matchups in Boston are exactly as they were the last series at Fenway.

25. JGYank says:

We won 4 of our last 5. Tampa is slipping. A lot of teams ahead of us lost yesterday. Nice offensive performance… And our playoff chance is above 6%. Things are looking up.

26. Shittyshittybangbang says:

Shaky start for Sabathia ? I saw the opposite. In my eyes, his best start in a while. His velocity was consistently 93 or more. Did “hang” one to Trumbo, but his defense didn’t help at times. As far as Dellin, I’m probably in the minority, but I like what I saw. Very good velocity, and surprisingly good control. Maybe too good. They sat on his fastball because he didn’t mix in his other pitches. Loan him to The Rays for a year, and bring him back with a change-up. I know it’s difficult, but try to look beyond the hits.

27. Mac says:

Great to finally have enough guys healthy to field a lineup with a quality bat at the 6 spot. Feeling like 4-6 actually had as much chance to produce runs as 1-3. The Angels pitching played their role in that blowout, but I can’t help but assume earlier season lineups wouldn’t have taken as much advantage. It’s a far cry from Gardner, Cano and pray for someone else to get a hit at the right time.

The doom-and-gloom crowd seems to have overlooked that the current Yankee lineup is not the same lineup they’ve fielded all season. They still need a lot to go right to make the playoffs, but their chances are better with Soriano, Granderson, and A-Rod in the line-up. Even Nunez is probably a nice upgrade offensively over the Luis Cruz and Alberto Gonzalez types.

• Former ACE MannyGeee says:

You can throw a bag of sand at SS and get better offensive results than what we’ve seen so far. At least the bag of sand might take a walk…