Sep

Game 162: The End

(Scott Halleran/Getty)

(Scott Halleran/Getty)

So this is it. The final game of the season. The Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs a few days ago and both Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte have had their grand send-offs. All of the important stuff has already been addressed, so this game is the epitome of meaningless. I expect a lot of quick at-bats by both teams since everyone wants to get home for the winter. Vacation’s a waitin’. Here is the final lineup of 2013:

1. 3B Eduardo Nunez
  2. C J.R. Murphy
  3. CF Curtis Granderson
  4. LF Vernon Wells
  5. 1B Mark Reynolds
  6. DH Travis Hafner
  7. 2B David Adams
  8. SS Brendan Ryan
  9. RF Zoilo Almonte

And on the mound is left-hander David Huff, at least for a little while. A parade of September call-up relievers will follow him to close out the year.

More heat, more humidity, and more rain in Houston. The retractable roof at Minute Maid Park has gotten a workout this weekend. First pitch is scheduled for 2:10pm ET and can be seen on YES. Enjoy.

Categories : Game Threads

1. NYPLATOONS says:

Come on Yankees I need you to win one last game for 85! 85 wins and no post season was my prediction! Go get em!

2. Wheels says:

Ha, that lineup.

3. Darren says:

Let’s go out with a win and no injuries.

4. forensic says:

Ok, one more time this season, let’s get this one up to a typical 500+ comment game thread. :-)

5. I’ll probably tune in for a little bit here or there, but there’s more important stuff today.

Peace, 2013. Hasn’t been the best of years, but it’s chewed up six months of my year all the same.

6. forensic says:

I guess the Rays weren’t really interested in having their season end today. Redmond throwing meatball after meatball right down the middle helped a bit too.

7. JLC 776 says:

This is the kind of lineup we usually throw out there on the last day of the season… in order to rest the regulars for the postseason.

8. mustang says:

Thank God I went to yesterday game that line-up would be hard to watch live.

• Darren says:

Oh shit you saw a great game! Nice.

Yeah, this lineup sucks. But what’s really fucked up is that not even one of the spots is guaranteed to be upgraded next season. Not even one.

• The Other Sam says:

How do you support an ownership that doesn’t at least try to improve the team?

• forensic says:

Are you saying that along the lines of next year’s 1B won’t be an upgrade over Reynolds? If that’s how you’re referring to it, then I disagree.

Teixeira, even with his decline and injuries, should still be better than Reynolds. Gardner is an upgrade on one of the OFers. Romine/Cervelli is likely an upgrade on Murphy. It’d be hard to imagine finding a worse DH than what Hafner is at this point.

• mustang says:

Yep, it was a great end to the era before heading into obscurity.

Dude, you can see the writing on the wall they are going to take the hit next year if the kids work great if not they will try to win are hearts back with the 2014 free agents.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Nothing’s a guarantee when you’re still playing game #162.

I really wish people would stop writing NEXT season’s eulogy already.

9. mustang says:

If you guys are ever in Texas don’t talk politics apparently the Bushs are royals here and Fox news is the leader truth reporting.
    SHM

10. Capo says:

Nice, our May-July lineup. I missed it.

11. mustang says:

How are the Giants looking?

All I know is that they are down 10-7

12. forensic says:

“Let’s just leave it at that.”

So, obviously that was a great discussion about Cano’s “hustle”. I’m sure that means he got through to him…

13. Silvio says:

All this never-ending goodbye to Mariano and Pettitte is beginning to sound like an elegy for the team itself.

14. forensic says:

Henderson Alvarez just finished 9 no-hit innings against the Tigers, but his Marlins haven’t scored either so he hasn’t even gotten to celebrate or anything.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

So we’ll have to rally if we’re going to get to forensic’s 500 posts.

Good to see Brett Marshall. I’d hate for his Baseball Almanac entry to only read that outing where he was left for dead out there for a few hours while the rest of the team went and got a sandwich.

• forensic says:

Let’s get the rally started!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We have to weed through a whole bunch of shit sometimes, but this continues to be a great group of fans who don’t always have to see things the same way. No one will ever doubt, though, that the regulars here are some of the best, smartest fans you’ll continue to find on the internet today.

For those of you around right now, guys you like, mustang, Darren, that weird dude beating me by .42 in FF right now because of Alex Smith having his way with the Giants like a smitten high school girl, need hitting, JLC, Kramerica, and everyone else NOT here right now…..I enjoy procrastinating with you guys, and I look forward to another season and hot stove season, win or lose, of doing so…

…even if I decide to retire the RT screen name this off-season, which is under strong consideration.

16. Robinson Tilapia says:

FWIW, Reggie Bush and Marshawn Lynch are single-handedly carrying my FF team against Pat D’s.

17. Pat D says:

I’m just going to pop my head in here to say that the Giants…

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SUCK!!!

You people thought this Yankees season was tough to swallow? I don’t know how this Giants team will beat anyone except maybe Oakland.

Tear it down and/or blow it the fuck up. Clean house. New GM, new coach, new coordinators, new personnel. Two to three year rebuilding project? Fine, do it.

18. Dale Mohorcic says:

That might have been Grandy’s last hit as a Yankee. And Cano might have payed his last game in pinstripes too. Next year is gonna be weird.

19. Pat D says:

On a Yankees not, I’d like to say that I honestly can’t wait to see what this offseason holds, especially on this site.

Quite frankly, this has been the worst year for this site since I’ve been visiting. Nothing but whining about the same shit over and over again. We need to get over ourselves, OK? If dark days are ahead, we’re just going to have to deal with them. I’m sick of people trying to one-up each other on who is more of a “real fan.” We’re all fans, that’s why we all come here. Maybe we could all remember that and try to be a little nicer to each other. Hopefully the trolls will just go the fuck away. Those of us who post regularly know how to identify the trolls. Let’s make sure we just stop paying attention to them.

But fear not, for the ROVP shall not be going anywhere. You may not see the ROVP, but it will always be there…lurking in the shadows…ready to remind you of the simple facts…that your trade proposal sucks.

• Jim is a (Bored) Peckerhead says:

No one’s going to stop paying attention to trolls. Just an unfortunate side effect of the internet. Live goes on.

People who give up in June are not fans I want to be friends with.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah, well, Alex Smith just gave you a 25-spot because of the Giants….and my QB’s on a bye-week, leaving me to start douchebag Rivers.

Win, lose, or reload, I’ll be here, and I’ll never stop giving 100% of my fandom to this team. If the franchise needs to re-invent itself, I’m going to be here when it figures that out.

They can still shove the luxury tax up their ass, though. If you don’t spend the money this off-season, make it because there was little to spend it on. Don’t spend for shits and giggles either.

You are a man among men, Patrick.

• Psycho Trish says:

Go watch wrestling and leave the baseball to the REAL fans.

20. forensic says:

So after going up 7-0, the Rays have now given up 6 unanswered runs and only lead by one in the 9th inning.

21. jjyank says:

*group hug*

22. Robinson Tilapia says:

Murphy looks a little, dare I say, overmatched lately?

Step it up in Spring Training, my man.

23. Cool Lester Smooth says:

So, is Mo gonna play CF in the bottom of the ninth?

24. Knoblauch'sVNeck says:

It is easy for many to write off next season when as a fan, you just endured a weird, frustrating, drama-filled season. The Yankees may not be better next year, but they won’t be much worse, if they are at all.

Granderson will get his qualifying offer. He will likely accept. Let’s assume he does. Doubtful he gets something huge from another team. Cano will be back – there is no way that leaked number is even close to what will wind up being agreed upon. Teixiera will be around. Gardner will be back. Any upgrade at C will be a boon.

What you will have to put up with:
    -Jeter inevitably being nicked up 2/3 of the season.
    -Low to moderate production at 3B depending on who that is.
    -DRob turning the 9th inning into a circus.
    -No true “ace” of the staff.
    -Idiots expecting Pineda to be Tom Seaver.

All in all, if everything breaks right, they could where they were in August, which is contending for a WC spot. It’s not like they are potentially a 70 win team next year. My hope is that Nuno is healthy and has a good spring with a chance to make the squad. Yanks are not going to have a true #1, but they might have 4, if not 5 above average starters.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I even think the possibilities are wider than that.

Like Mike said in his post a few days ago, nothing would surprise me right now.

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

They might just as easily have 4, if not 5, below average starters.

• Knoblauch'sVNeck says:

Um, yeah, that is certainly a legit possibility. You can’t even predict Yankee starting pitchers with quality metrics, because it’s like they operate in their own fishbowl. What would be considered league norms and regression to the mean somehow, for some reason, don’t translate as much to NYY pitching staffs.

• AndrewYF says:

If everything breaks right, they will win the World Series. Like most non-Houston, non-White Sox teams.

25. Dale Mohorcic says:

As much as I hate when the season ends I sure hope this doesn’t go into extras.

26. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Free baseball, folks. Seasons not over yet!

27. forensic says:

Can’t they just treat this like Spring Training where the managers wave at each other and just call it a day?

28. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Kenny Powers needs to pitch in this game.

29. Darren says:

*Rubs eyes groggily, list head off couch and looks at TV*

“We’re still playing? Awesome!”

I always wanted to attend a game that went like, 25 innings. I’ll settle for watching it today. Especially after sleeping from the 3rd through 11th.

How funny would it be if we NEEDED Mo to pitch?!

• Darren says:

*lifts head* Still sleeping apparently. Hey that’s what happens if you have two beers, no sleep, eat too much and watch Yankees/Astros.

30. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

The Yankees have to play this game as if there is no tomorrow!

31. Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Welcome back, my friends, to the season that never ends

32. Robinson Tilapia says:

Daley under team control? I wonder if he’s pitched himself into a stronger ST looksie next season.

33. Darren says:

So what kind of chance should David Adams get next year? he had flashes of playing well, and plenty of streaks of sucking. I can’t get a read on him. Even someone like Nunez teases with his line drive ability and occasional good fieldwork, but doesn’t follow through with any consistency.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Chance at a bench role. Otherwise play well enough while riding the shuttle too prevent being DFA fodder.

• Darren says:

Yeah, I could also see them giving Adams the chance to fill in for ARod if ARod’s suspended for 50 games.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My hunch right not is that the trade market brings you your third baseman next season. If David Adams is your third baseman next season, the terrorists have won.

34. JGYank says:

Funny how the last game of the year goes into extras just to extend this mostly miserable season. Another example of two terrible offenses are unable to score. It would be nice to say we finished in 3rd but the higher draft pick is nice too so I’m ok with the outcome either way. Wake me up when it’s over.

35. JGYank says:

Man I wish Grandy could put the ball in play sometimes.

36. forensic says:

It’s so exciting that we get a whole nother year of Vernon Wells…

37. Darren says:

A perverse part of me wants this game to keep going. This is similar but totally different feeling to Game 4 in the 1998 WS, when I actually wanted the Padres to rally because I didn’t want the season to be over. (obviously after the series that cannot be spoken of in 2004, I would never ever ever do that again)

38. Does the rule that we don’t play meaningless players in the final game say that we can’t just put Cano/Soriano/etc in just to hope we get a goddamn run.

39. WhittakerWalt says:

I have heard more Wendy’s commercials during this broadcast than I’ve ever heard during the entire rest of my life. It’s like they’re trying to repay Wendy’s for not being able to do postseason broadcasts or something. They play 3 commercials during the actual break, then as soon as the action resumes Sterling reads the spot again. I get that advertising pays the bills, but this is ludicrous.

40. JGYank says:

What do you guys think the rotation will be next year? If we don’t sign any outside FAs it will be CC, Nova, Kuroda, Pineda, Phelps with Warren and Nuno competing for the fifth spot. Also Pineda, Phelps, Warren will probably be on innings limits and Kuroda could use some extra rest given his age. We should probably go after at least 1 FA though since that rotation just isn’t good enough.

41. Pitch counter guy got bored, its now 9 behind. Daley at 23, not 14.

42. Darren says:

Nooooooooo, not Joba!!!! I want to keep watching.

43. MARK REYNOLDS (21)

F
    I
    N
    A
    L
    L
    Y

44. Pat D says:

Woo hoo Reynolds!!!

Give this guy a job next year!!

45. Wheels says:

One more Joba appearance coming up.

46. JGYank says:

This will probably go on forever until we put in some pinch hitters or have position players pitch. On a side note Texas is winning 5-2 so it looks like they will have a one game playoff against Tampa tomorrow for the 2nd WC. Should be interesting.

Never thought the Indians would win the 1st WC this year or even make the playoffs. They actually only finished one game behind Detroit thanks to their 10 game winning streak against terrible teams. Lucky bastards.

47. RetroRob says:

So just joining. What’s the extensive game recap?

• Yanks made Bedard look like an ace.

Huff went 5, gave up 1 run. Since then we ‘ve had Marshall, Betances (K’d a ton of people), Claiborne, Phelps, and Daley (who has been 2 perfect).

Granderson singled in Nunez.

• RetroRob says:

Thanks. When I saw the line and the inning, I didn’t even think there would be four lines of recap!

I did arrive just in time for the HR.

48. Platinum Sombrero for David Adams?

Ouchy day in deed.

2nd gripe K with Bill Miller.

• forensic says:

Yikes, that’s pretty painful. Glad I haven’t been watching all that closely, that would’ve been even more discouraging.

49. Dale Mohorcic says:

Hopefully that was a Reynolds wrap.

50. Pat D says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. Selective Amnesia says:

Good one!

Finally caught up to live TV just in time for the HR. Awesome.

52. JGYank says:

Finally some runs! Well looks like we’re going out with a sweep and in 3rd place in the east. Not bad considering what we were up against this year and how good our division is.

53. Gonzo says:

If Joba gets the save, does that mean he’s finally the heir to Mo?

54. Robinson Tilapia says:

Let’s win this and finish this season right!

55. RetroRob says:

Astors on track for a 111-loss season, closing it out with 15 consecutive losses. When was the last time any team finished with something like that many losses on the season and consecutively?

• David Brown says:

I saw that the 15 losses to end the Season set an MLB Record (Couple that with the Season K Record (which they would have avoided without the Granderson hit)), and you essentially have a Historically bad day for Houston

• NeilT says:

1899 Cleveland Spiders lost the final 16 games. Modern era, 15 games is a record to close out the season.

56. David Brown says:

I know it is a meaningless game (well maybe not for the Astros who broke the Major League Record for Strikeouts in a Season, and have lost 14 straight), but it would be nice to win, if only to see Andy & Mariano go out with smiles in their final Game as active Yankee Players,

57. Pinkie Pie says:

Now the Yanks are just being mean. But congrats on your first RBI, J.R.!

58. Rangers win.

Tiebreaker game here we go.

59. Darren says:

Is Michael Kay constantly chewing and smacking his lips? Gross

60. forensic says:

I know I shouldn’t care, but Reynolds leaving the team and stadium early really aggravates me.

61. RetroRob says:

What is this, the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson? Reynolds has to leave early?

62. JGYank says:

Does any know how draft order is determined if two teams are tied and have never played each other?

63. Get Phelps Up says:

A big reason the Rangers get to host game 163 is this! http://i.minus.com/ibpwLTpK7HlNgS.gif

64. Darren says:

One out away boys!

Thanks Mike!!! Thanks RAB!

65. 85-77.

Time for the playoffs. I will be watching.

66. forensic says:

Yankees win!

THEEEEEE YANKEES WIN!!!!!

a share of 3rd place…

67. Robinson Tilapia says:

And it’s over.

They played hard. They always came back. It was going to be an uphill battle all along. I’m certainly proud of my 2013 New York Yankees.

• Given where this site was what, two months ago, I will be happy with this result.

• forensic says:

I’m just glad it’s over.

I’m hoping, but not optimistic, for a clear shift in front office philosophy.

I know you said you like this team better than some of the Championship teams somehow, but I just don’t see any reason to get attached to half of the roster, thereby making them even more blah and unappealing to me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Plenty of guys I could give a fuck about, but also plenty of guys like Overbay and, honestly, the folks that for us through at short that I will certainly remember.

• Pinkie Pie says:

With the massive (historic, really) amount of injuires and setbacks this team suffered, 85-77 is nothing to be ashamed of at all. The 2013 Yankees did more with what they had than a lot of other teams would have. I can say that with certainty.

• Psycho Trish says:

They always come back? Ha another excellent FALSE statement.

68. JGYank says:

A win to end the season. Well it was a rough year but it could have been worse. On to the offseason. Hopefully we’ll see an exciting postseason even if we’re not in it.

Also did you guys see the no hitter today on the walkoff? Crazy stuff. Against Detroit too from a 100 loss team.

69. JGYank says:

So where do we pick in the draft?

70. JGYank says:

Always love the end of the year recap video on YES. Reminds you of everything good that happened over the year.

71. Wheels says:

Cool video montage of the season YES is doing.

72. Rolling Doughnut says:

85 wins. All in all not bad, considering the adversity they faced this season. Andy went out strong and with class, couldn’t ask for more. Mo will always be Mo, on and off the field. Te vamos a extra├▒ar grueso Mo, gracias por todo. Te deseamos toda la suerte del mundo en tu futuro como ‘civil.’ Arriba los Bombaderos!

73. Selective Amnesia says:

They played well, with the team they had. I’m glad I found RAB near the end of the season. Go Yankees!

• RetroRob says:

Stick around. Mike and company (although mostly Mike) provides great coverage of the team, although the game threads can get kind of ugly.

74. Pat D says:

Dating myself again, of course, but this seems fitting:

75. JGYank says:

Thanks to Mo and Andy this was the best 85 win season ever. And to wrap up the game and year sterling style: BALLGAME OVER. SERIES OVER. 2013 OVER. THE YANKEEEEEEEEESSSSS WIN!

76. Psycho Trish says:

Season sucked ass. Not going to the playoffs is a huge failure. Everyone who said the Yankees were going to suck were right. Keep telling yourselves otherwise you pom pom losers.

GUTLESS WIMPS = YOUR 2013 NEW YORK YANKEES

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

appropriate handle

• Pinkie Pie says:

Your 2013 New York Yankees:

Starting C missed 145 games

Starting 1B missed 147 games

Starting SS missed 145 games

Starting 3B missed 118 games

Replacement 3B missed 134 games

Starting CF missed first 102 games

Disregarding everything else that went wrong with the Yankees, I’d like to see how well some other teams would do facing those kinds of debilitating absences.

• NYPLATOONS 85 WINS PREDICTION COMPLETE! says:

Yankees have no catcher period!

Yankees 1b is a 250 hitter nothing more. RF or bust attitude

Jeter would have no carried this team

Granderson would have strike out 200+ times and hit 230

arod would have hit 270 and 20 hrs

yankees replacement’s 3rd is on them and what they chose to run out there with the rest of the shit.

Yankee were winning no more then 85 games whici I said during spring trainig and no PS. What’s next? This team is fine rightttttttttttttttttttttttttt

• Pinkie Pie says:

Those are all sweeping generalizations that gloss over the fact that as a whole the replacements for all the players lost were WELL below replacement level. To say that the Yankees wouldn’t have been a signifcantly better team with all their starters intact for most of the season is just ignorant.

77. andrew j says:

No and Andy should b pitching in the playoffs. This one on management believing it could replace injured players with other team’s discards. George S. should b ashamed of his sons.

78. andrew j says:

Mo and Andy. Damn spellcheck!

79. NYPLATOONS 85 WINS says:

!!!!!!!!!!! 85 wins no post season prediction complete!!!!!!!!!!

BOOM!!!!!

80. andrew j says:

Resigned Russell Martin. Picked up Alex Rios. Kept soriano in the bullpen. Traded for cliff lee. Resigned Swisher. Traded for Jose Reyes.