Sep

Sunday Night Open Thread

Sadly, the Yankees season is over. The end came sooner than we all hoped but that’s life. Outside of the Bronx, the highlight of the final day of the 2013 season was clearly Henderson Alvarez’s walk-off no-hitter (!), which is pretty much the coolest thing ever. I was kinda sorta hoping the game would remain scoreless so he could go back out for the tenth, but I guess a walk-off wild pitch was good enough. Fun fun fun.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. There is no late baseball game and the late NFL game is the Patriots at the Falcons (8:30pm ET on NBC). Also, ahhhh Breaking Bad finale. Looking forward to that. Talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Travis L. says:

Does Matt Daley get a job in the NYY bullpen next season? What about Huff? Is he bullpen, rotation or dfa fodder next season?

• Pat D says:

They’re both DFA fodder during the offseason.

I suppose it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they earn a spot next year, but they’re both easily replaceable.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Agreed, even though Daley slightly intrigued me in the end there. Huff is what he is.

He had quite the week, didn’t he. Becomes the answer to a trivia question and earns the win on the last game of the season.

2. forensic says:

Waiting for the end of the Nationals-D’Backs game is killing me for fantasy reasons.

3. kenthadley says:

who gets better draft position, NY or Baltimore?

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

Baltimore, because the Yankees were better in 2012.

• forensic says:

So, now we can be frustrated about both the 2012 and 2013 teams at the same time?

• Get Phelps Up says:

Not like it matters all that much, but that’s the tiebreaker instead of the 2013 h2h record?

• Need Pitching & Hitting & Defense & Baserunning says:

• Pat D says:

Yankees had that, too. So it would have been Baltimore either way.

I’m not going to be upset about picking 17th. Especially if they should end up with any comp. picks, though I doubt they end up with three this year. In fact, I doubt they’ll have one.

• Ethan says:

You think they’re going to resign both Cano and Granderson? And Kuroda will either resign or retire? Should they offer Youkillis a QO? Probably not but you never know.

• RetroRob says:

Oh, that’s a no on Youkilis. He’ll accept the QO. Youkilis will have to take a one-year, incentive heavy deal with a low base at this point.

The Yankees will offer Kuroda a QO, which means he returns to the Yankees or goes back home.

Granderson gets a QO from the Yankees, which he will reject. Question is do the Yankees sign him if his market is weak?

• JGYank says:

Grandy might accept the offer coming off a rough year to regain his value and hit the market next year. But I think giving him the offer is still the right move.

• MannyGeee says:

Oh all day long. If roster spots are your worry, you could trade/DFA IchiWells as you owe Wells nothing and Ichiro will be a bag of suck…

With the QO in tact, I could see teams shying away slightly. It’s not out of the realm of possibility an offer of 3/36 getting it done.

• JGYank says:

Agreed. I would DFA Wells even though he could hit lefties alright since Ichiro can be used as a defensive replacement and pinch runner. Make him the 4th outfielder if Grandy stays or other outfielder is acquired. Not sure what Grandy is looking for though.

• MannyGeee says:

He’s looking for what we are all looking for… A shit ton of money. That said, it’s about what people are willing to pay. And outside of Texas, who are likely looking to move on from Cruz, I don’t know who else is a big spender who has the need for an outfielder.

That said, he’s one of the select few FA OF that carry that kind of power…

• MannyGeee says:

Nooooooooooo way in hell you offer Youk a QO. WIth the season he had, you can very well likely sign him to 3/15 as opposed to a QO for 1/15…

I could see a QO for Cano, Granderson and Kuroda, and Grandy is a reach as well. I suppose you have to give a QO to Andy as well, to protect from the Houston angle (1/2 kidding)…

4. Gonzo says:

This is a great theory about how the Breaking Bad ends. Do not read it if you want to be totally surprised.

Could just be a crackpot theory, but it made sense to me.

5. Not gonna lie, I was on call Friday and Saturday night for work this week, and being at home I can enjoy a few adult beverages, so I stared working on a roster, with payroll….without Cano, haha.

Anyways I have it at about $166. It includes all commited 2014 salaries, ARod out for all of ’14, FA signings of McCann/Choo/Schumaker, resigning Kuroda, winning the bid for Tanaka. Hefty raises to Gardner/Robertson in arbitration, and filling out the rest of the 40 man roster at $1MM a piece.

Very optimistic? Sure. Sounds crazy? Maybe…but with Rivera/Pettitte/Cano/ARod coming off the books, they’d have a lot to spend.

6. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Are the SF Giants ruining baseball by overpaying Pence $18 Mill per year for 5 years?

7. JGYank says:

We outperformed our run differential this year so we did overachieve but it still was a disappointing year. The Giants aren’t comforting anyone either. 0-4. Terrible.

Also I have way too much Andy/Mo retirement specials/final games/postgame/pregame stuff on my DVR. But I’m not planning on deleting it ever.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Agreed about the Gints. Jeez. Awful. The o line is a mess.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Btw next time a round of future HoF and near HoF guys to out, get a TiVo Roamio first. You can expand to a gazillion* TB and also offload shows to your computer.

* may be a slight exaggeration

8. JGYank says:

Anyone else going to watch the TB/Texas game tomorrow? It’s like having two WC games in the AL instead of one. Should be exciting. Wouldn’t have gotten this with the old format but that probably would have made the WC races more exciting since only one team would have made it.

Never expected the standings to end up looking like this though that’s for sure. Boston and Oakland on top, Toronto last, Nats out of it, Cleveland and Pittsburgh in, Angels and Brewers losing. Surprising season overall. But that’s why the games are played on paper I guess.

9. RetroRob says:

Unless Cano walked 16 times tonight, looks like Kabak is safe.

10. Cap'n Cook says:

WW?

I mean, who do you figure that is?

Woodrow Wilson? Willy Wonka? Walter White?

11. Jorge Brosada says:

Last episode of Breaking Bad tonight AND the season 3 premier of Homeland. Can’t Wait

12. Jersey Joe says:

The end. :(

13. forensic says:

Jayson Nix was the acting manager today? Seriously? Couldn’t find ANYONE else?

14. dc1874 says:

…and the Giants season is over also….

15. McLovin says:

Good thing I’m a Seahawks fan at least and Rangers hockey starts Thursday!

16. Cool Lester Smooth says:

If we’re gonna go that way, you’re gonna need a bigger knife.

• Bob Buttons says:

Let’s unite ALL the eagles fans and Giants fans and maybe even skins fans and egg and TP the houses/mansions of cowgirls players!

17. UncleArgyle says:

Great and satisfying ending to Breaking Bad. Great show.

18. forensic says:

Has the recap thread disappeared for anyone else too?

19. Kenny says:

Game wrapup was deleted?

20. Andrew Brotherton says:

My offseason strategy is Granderson on a 1yr QO, Cano- 7yr 175, Kuroda 1yr QO, Tanaka 6 yr 55 million, Jose Abreu 5yr 35, Brendan Ryan- 1yr 5 million, Mark Reynolds 1yr 5 million. So 77.2 million, we then fill the pen from within, release Wells, trade Ichiro for a reliever, and have a lineup of

Gardner-CF