Sep

Monday Night Open Thread

It’s the final off-day of the regular season. Three games against the Rays and three games against the Astros are up next, and barring a miraculous late-season surge, an offseason of … who the hell knows what will follow after that. I could see very big changes this offseason or very minimal changes this winter. Neither would surprise me at this point. I really have no idea what to expect from the team and the front office this coming offseason.

Anyway, here if your open thread for the night. The Mets and Reds are playing (Harang vs. Cueto), plus MLB Network will air a game later tonight. Who you see depends on where you live. Raiders-Broncos is the Monday Night Football game. There’s also some preseason hockey on somewhere. Talk about any of that and more right here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Fuck off O’s.

Hopefully the Yankees and Blue Jays can combine this week to knock the Rays out of the playoffs. Hopefully that was the Rays last home game of 2013. Screw them.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

The one thing about the Rays they are a totally different team away from that shit home ball park.

Example their last long road trip west 3-7 and I saw some of those games it was like they were a different team.

• SDB says:

I’m annoyed, if another AL East team was to advance, I would have preferred to see the Os rather than the Rays. Shame about the Manny injury.

At this point I’ll cheer for the Rays to lose, just so I don’t have to hear those fucking announcers, see any more games at the Trop, or hear about how fucking cutting edge Joe Maddon is by keeping his players loose and relaxed with ridiculous antics.

• Those crowds at Camden Yards were fun. You can see how much playoff baseball matters to Orioles fans.

Rays playoff games? If I was blindfolded and had no idea whether it was April-September, or October, I would be unable to tell the difference. Same, stupid shit regardless. The cowbells from hell.

I ONLY root for the Rays if it means bad things for the Red Sox. That’s it.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Really? I hate the O’s so much more than the Rays. The O’s are just so fucking annoying.

2. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Fucking O’s 4 to 2 lead into the 7th then 2 bottom of the 7th Loney walk-off in the 9th.

SMH!!!!

3. Scully says:

“Let it Dive!” – An MVP 2005 soundtrack throwback in the video!

Remember when EA Sports made Baseball games? It still baffles me that they no longer have the right to do so. MVP Baseball 2005 was better (IMHO) than many versions of 2K and The Show that came out for years afterwards.

4. MLB, recently, seems to have come around on letting their content be posted on Youtube. I’ll post a link for people’s pleasure.

Peruse around. Have fun.

5. Kiko Jones says:

…and barring a miraculous late-season surge, an off-season of…

accusations, drama, recriminations, second-guessing, quarterbacking, etc. etc. etc.

And that’s just the A-Rod trial.

6. Dale Mohorcic says:

What am I supposed to do until spring training once this week ends? Suggestions?

7. hey now says:

This team completely sucked all the joy out of watching baseball.

I think it’s best encapsulated in two words: Ben Francisco.

8. Mick taylor says:

The future is bleak . If girardi leaves for cubs how about Dave righetti for manager he is a great pitching coach .

9. ialien says:

the 189 million dollar question for 2015 is…

when Hal gets his luxury tax dropped from 50% to 17%…will he spend that savings to rebuild, or will he pocket the savings?

Francesa said today he knows some yankee fans who are not renewing their season tickets next year. Should the team on the field next season be as unimpressive as this year, then it would seem logical a massive spending spree is in play after next season, to get the front running fans back.

but the business model of purchasing free agents appears to be on the wane. Hopefully the yanks spend this & next offseason upgrading their medical staff & the farm. Without those steps i dont see how this team stays in contention given a lot of current stars are locked down now.

yeah…

• The Other Sam says:

Iirc, Hal said he doesn’t believe you have to spend to field a winning team. And while, theoretically, that’s true, it doesn’t sound like he intends to spend once the tax is reset.

Of course that was before the mess that this season became. It does appear acquiring Soriano was his idea so maybe he’s had a change of heart.

He says he’s a ‘finance guy’. I’d rather he were a ‘winning guy’.

• The Other Sam says:

And, yeah, I’d rather they spend on scouting and development since the league hasn’t handcuffed them there…yet.

10. vicki says:

alex rios with the cycle down in arlington. that’s nice.

11. Darren says:

I think at this point our best hope is to to pray for a Game 163 on Monday against Cleveland. Would a coin flip decide home field? When is the coin flip? Would Torre flip the coin?? Who’s the AL president? Gotta go with heads.

• Darren says:

Or what would happen if there’s a 3, 4 or 5 way tie? Who plays who, when and where? and is it round robin? I could see the Yanks and Royals getting hot and going 5-1 (after Seattle comes back tonight on KC), Texas staying cool and going 2-4 and Cleveland falling apart and going 1-6. Maybe the O’s catch fire and sweep.if there was a five way tie, at least one team would only have to play once, right?

Please baby Jesus, make these questions relevant.

12. 461deep says:

Terrible to see young Machado hurt so bad. Wonderful ballplayer with all the tools. Hope he recovers fully. Oriole loss hurt Yankee hopes since if Rays win 1 of 3 Yanks can only catch other teams in front of them. Indians schedule another barrier. Yes, Rays not a good road team but Moore is tough when on and short porch has hurt Yanks more often this year so they need top 4 in lineup to mash.

13. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Seattle really wants to help.

14. Darren says:

SEATTLE TIED IT UP!!! We can do it!

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Lead of double…

And its over again…LOL

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Can’t believe I’m watching this still hoping.
        For what i have no idea.

LOL

• Darren says:

They escaped the jam! Too bad Ibanez is out of the game, but I think Seattle’s gonna win this in the bottom of the 9th.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Maybe.

Houston lost 10 in row so they should win one soon just by luck alone hopefully in the next 2 days.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

With the Yankees luck everything will break just right and they will lose the spot by losing to Houston on the last day.

It’s been that type of year.

• Darren says:

I think we sweep TB and lose 1 game to Houston, but just like in 78 it will be on last day of season, and drop us back in a tie. Game 163.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Nope!
            On to the 10th

• Darren says:

ay papi. I really can’t afford to watch a 25 inning game between KC and Seattle tonight.

But I will if I have to. I can’t believe our season is in Oliver Perez’s hands.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Yep,

If you get the chance check out how the Pirates clinched. Watching the Cubs just give one perspective I’m glad to be a Yankees fan.

• Darren says:

EMBEDDED YANKEE JUSTIN MAXWELL!!

(also, pirates game was wild. I’m happy for them. I can’t imagine feeling like we in June and July of this year, and most of the early 90′s, for my entire life. That’s disturbing.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

HAHA!!!

I remember people bitching about losing him… LOL… he might help after all.

15. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

WOOOOOW!!!

LMAO!!!

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!

19. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

On we go… lol

One thing is clear

THESE WC TEAMS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Darren says:

Yeah, it’s really not just the Yanks who have been incompetent. These announcers are pretty third rate too.

I hope the Yanks give Pat Venditte a chance to make the team next year. Seems like he could be a poor man’s Jimmy Key.

20. Darren says:

Bring in Noesi!

21. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

This guy has pinpoint control..lol

22. Darren says:

This Jabroni reminds of Farnsworth.

23. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

OH! Well.

Nice talking with Darren keep hope alive.

Goodnight.

24. Darren says:

WHAT A BULLSHIT CALL. That was Don Denkingeresque #Royals pay off the umps.

later. time for Yanks to win tomorrow.