Oct

Thursday Night Open Thread

Alright, I’m pretty much ready for the offseason to be over. Yeah, the playoffs are fun and all, but the whole one or two games a night thing stinks. That goes double with the Yankees not playing. These first few days after the end of the season are always tough because the routine has been broken and, suddenly, I have a bunch of free time right around 7 o’clock. Don’t get me wrong, that’s not a bad thing, but I miss the Yankees.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Pirates and Cardinals are playing Game One of the NLDS matchup right now on TBS (A.J. Burnett vs. Adam Wainwright), then later tonight the Dodgers and Braves will kick off their NLDS (Clayton Kershaw vs. Kris Medlen at 8:30pm ET on TBS). The Rangers and Devils both open their seasons tonight as well. Talk about any of those games and more right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Betty Lizard says:

Cleveland played like the 2013 Yankees last night, bless their hearts. (All their flaws on display and their strengths in hiding.)

Now that Cleveland is eliminated, I’m rooting for Pittsburgh (Ever the dreamer, but AJ: ouch!) and for Tampa.

2. Kevin says:

The old AJ we all knew and loved was on full display tonight.

3. The Real Greg says:

As I said in the other thread, it was the classic A.J. meltdown that we as Yankees fans were used to seeing. I think that we would have taken him out quicker than Hurdle did, which is ultimately that cost him the game.

4. Mick taylor says:

Yanks would have probably gone to world series one year 2010 -2012 if idiot cashman had signed Carlos Beltran. He is a great post season player

5. EndlessJose says:

The Yankees should have gone and gotten Beltran in 2005 when he would have gone here on a discount.If he was a Yankee he would have been bigger than Jeter in the postseason.

6. max says:

I just got to thinking… would it make sense to try to create a platoon for catcher next year. Like, say, Salty and Navarro?

7. Mike HC says:

The end of the Yankees season is always a little depressing, especially when they don’t even make the playoffs. But I love RAB during the off season just as much as during the season, if not even more. And this off season could be the most interesting since 2009.

Also, it is much appreciated all the work you put into RAB this year, as RAB continues to add immensely to the fun of following the Yanks. And thanks to Matt Warden as well, who wrote some excellent pieces this season. Hopefully he continues to write for the site.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Instead of Hank and Hal, Papa Bear should have fathered Carlos Beltran.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Didn’t you hear? Carlos Beltran is BEST POSTEASON PLAYER EVAR. And that’s definitely the kind of thing you could always count on.

• Tom says:

You seriously think passing on Beltran was smart/wise?

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Yeah it felt like a curious non move at the time, and downright perplexing when it turns out he was willing to come here on a discount.

• WhittakerWalt says:

No, I don’t. I wish we had acquired him a long time ago. I just don’t think getting Carlos Beltran is any kind of a guarantee of anything. Look at the Angles getting Josh Hamilton, who up until this year was one of the top 5 players in baseball. There are no guarantees.

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

certainly can’t count on Swisher and Burnett

• forensic says:

Well, he does have the highest OPS in postseason history (min. 40 PA). And he’s just ahead of Ruth and Gehrig in a similar number of PA (around 150-160).

There isn’t much argument that he’s had an amazing amount of success in his postseason career.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum (just because I saw it last night), Swisher has the lowest BA in postseason history (min. 150 PA). Ouch!

• Tom says:

Also if you look at his career splits against pitcher type – he performs worst against “finesse” pitchers (courtesy baseball reference) – which you tend not to see a lot of in the postseason.

But I guess we should bury our heads in the sand and chalk it all up to luck.

——-

The scary thing is the guy who is second on the list of lowest career postseason BA.

• WhittakerWalt says:

He certainly has had an incredible run in the postseason, though Mets fans might tell you a different story. The fact that a good-but-not-great player like Beltran can have a run of postseason success that has him mentioned in the same breath with Ruth and Gehrig should tell you just how unreliable postseason numbers really are. Barry Bonds was shit in the playoffs except for that one year. Ted Williams was shit in the playoffs. David Ortiz has had lousy playoff appearances (don’t tell that to ESPN, though). So has Derek Jeter.

Now if you ask me who I’d rather have up in a big spot in the playoffs, it would be hard to go against Beltran. Swisher has been an absolute zero in the playoffs. That doesn’t change the fact that Beltran could just as easily go 0-for the rest of his playoff career and then we won’t talk about how “clutchy” he is.

9. Debbie Powers says:

I am missing my Yankees too! 180 long, long days until opening day. Really sad about Andy and Mo. It will never be the same. I live in LA. Everyone around here is pretty excited about the Dodgers and that makes postseason even harder.

10. Mick taylor says:

Hey whitty, stop being cashman’s buttboy

11. forensic says:

According to the radio broadcast, over 13,000 tickets were still available for the Dodgers-Braves game as of this morning, and it doesn’t look like many of them were sold.

I thought YSIII was the only place with questionable fan attendance and ambiance?

• Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

if I recall correctly, they had the same problem selling out during their pennant years.

• Tom says:

If I remember correctly Atlanta has a history of having a hard time selling out postseason games (especially earlier rounds).

I think even during their great run in the 90′s they had issues selling out the LDS games (maybe even the LCS?)

• Get Phelps Up says:

They’ve sold out just 8/21 LDS games in Turner field history. The only time they sold out every game of an LDS was 03.

12. Steinbrenner's Ghost says:

Burnett is like a meth lab — the slightest bit of pressure and he blows up.

13. vicki says:

swing-and-miss-a-rama down in georgia tonight. this’ll be good.

ps. kris medlen looks like he needs buster posey to buy him beer.

14. Tom says:

Gattis having a hell of a game so far… That baserunning decision was Posada-esque

15. mustang says:

Beltran is the anti-Swisher.

16. SDB says:

Clayton Kershaw is scary.

17. Darren says:

I wonder if Donnie Baseball tried to relate to Brian Wilson by telling him about the time Donnie was suspended for his long hair.

18. Mick taylor says:

Question: will cardinal fans boo and rant against marlin Byrd as a steroid cheat, who unlike arod, actually tested positive for roids and looks like he is still on them? If the cards play sox in world series , will Ryan dumpster throw at Byrd? Will Joe the little f buckcomment about it?Lao, once fox buys the entire yes channel will buck not be so anti- yank?

19. Ken says:

A-Rod has sued Major League baseball over its tactics in the Biogenesis operation. The NY Times reports:

“Rodriguez’s lawyers wrote that Major League Baseball had paid Bosch, the head of the now-closed Biogenesis clinic in Coral Gables, Fla., a total of $5 million in monthly installments “to buy his cooperation,” citing “at least one individual who claims to have knowledge of Mr. Bosch’s deal.” The lawyers said that baseball also promised to provide security for Bosch, cover his legal bills and indemnify him from civil liability stemming from the case.”