Oct

Wednesday Night Open Thread

I’ve got two fun links to share tonight. First, friend of RAB Jonah Keri put together a comprehensive baseball dictionary at Grantland, complete with memes (#HIROK), sabermetric terms (xFIP), and quirky historical stuff (Operation Shutdown). It’s both fun and informative, so check it out. Second, Grant Brisbee authored a great pitch-by-pitch breakdown of Max Scherzer’s bases loaded, no outs escape job in yesterday’s ALDS Game Four against the Athletics. It’s a comprehensive look at Scherzer’s overpowering dominance that points out he was millimeters from disaster on more than on occasion. Brisbee is awesome and that one gets RAB’s highest level of recommendation.

Once you’re done with those two, use this as your open thread. The Cardinals and Pirates will play their decisive Game Five at 8pm ET on TBS (Adam Wainwright vs. Gerrit Cole, sob sob), plus the Knicks are playing a preseason game. Talk about those games or anything else here. Have at it.

[2013 sad Hawk Harrelson compilation video via Awful Announcing]

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pseudoyanks says:

Operation Shutdown? No politics !!! ;)

2. RetroRob says:

So Paul O’Neill wants to manage the Reds.

3. WhittakerWalt says:

Operation Shutdown!

SWOON

4. Eddard says:

Clint Hurdle’s decision to bypass AJ Burnett in favor of Garrit Cole is going to be the death blow to this Pirates ballclub. When AJ has to win a big ballgame he wins a big ballgame. See 2009 WS Game 2. The kid is already down 2-0 and it will only snowball from here.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I think AJ’s last start was a pretty important one, too. How’d he do in that one?
      Also, how did AJ pitch in a must-win game against Texas in the 2010 ALCS?

• Farewell Mo says:

Youre nuts.

The fact that they started a 23 year old pitcher with 19 career starts over Burnett is a total indictment of him and his 10 cent head. The guy has no heart

5. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

That Freese guy with another postseason HR.

#nosuchthingasclutch

6. Pat D says:

That Keri article was great. Loved the inclusions of True Yankee, Scioscia Face, TWTW, Operation Shutdown, a bunch of others.

7. Wheels says:

2013 Pirates, r.i.p.

8. Lukaszek says:

Fuck Pittsburgh is done .__.

9. Not a great outing for former Yank, Mark Melancon. Looking like cocktail hour in St. Louis now.

10. CashmanNinja says:

My wish was for an A’s/Pirates World Series :|

• Betty Lizard says:

You feel bad? My wish was was for an Indians – Pirates World Series.
      :-(

• Lukaszek says:

Same here :( Hopefully the Athletics can defeat Detroit tomorrow

• ropeadope says:

My wish was for a Yankees – Anyone World Series.

:-)

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not that I’ve been paying a lick of attention, but I always really do like seeing the best team tee off at the end. Tigers/Dodgers for me. Maybe I’ll even watch.

Also, the hot Aussie blonde on “Top Chef.”

• mustang says:

“Not that I’ve been paying a lick of attention”

Maybe it’s me being a spoil Yankees fan, but I haven’t watched an inning or do I even care too. I guess I’m that angry little kid upset that the other kids didn’t let me play.

• I'm One says:

The playoffs are simply a background distraction (somewhere below my music) during my workouts. The TV is on, but I really don’t hear much from the announcers. I get to see a few innings a few nights a week of whatever game happens to be on. Once they’re over, hockey will be my secondary background distraction. I don’t really pay too much attention to the playoffs. (Or until the playoffs, in the case of hockey.)