Oct

Yankees re-sign Joe Girardi through 2017

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

(Jim McIsaac/Getty)

The Yankees have taken care of their first (and arguably the most important) piece of offseason business. The team announced on Wednesday that they’ve re-signed manager Joe Girardi to a four-year contract that will keep him in pinstripes through 2014. Jon Heyman and Howie Rumberg say the deal is worth $16M guaranteed plus another $4M in bonuses, making Girardi the second highest paid manager in baseball behind Mike Scioscia.

“We decided this is where we wanted to come back,” said Girardi to reporters during a conference call. “There were some things I wanted to make sure — in my home (with my family) — that people were okay with what I want doing. My kids love what I do. [My wife] Kim is still extremely supportive and continues to love what I do. I had to make sure everyone was still on board.”

Girardi, 48, just completed his sixth year as the team’s manager. His previous managerial contracts with the Yankees were both three-year deals, but Girardi confirmed his side pushed for a four-year contract this time around. The team made it clear they wanted to bring him back — “We’re going to give him a real good reason to stay,” said Brian Cashman during his end-of-season press conference — so they tacked on the extra year.

“I think stability is important,” added Girardi when asked about the four-year term. “That was something we brought up to them. It is more stability for all of us involved in my household. It was something we brought to them and they were okay with it … It’s good for both sides.”

The Yankees are 564-408 (.580) all-time under Girardi, including 85-77 (.525) this past season. I thought 2013 was his finest year as the team’s manager given all of the major injuries and, of course, the Alex Rodriguez circus. Girardi handled the A-Rod situation well and the club remained in the hunt for a wild-card spot far longer than I think anyone expected. Still, the team’s future is up in the air and is something Girardi considered before returning.

“It was something I definitely thought about,” said Girardi when asked about the state of the franchise going forward. “What will the New York Yankees look like in 2014? I don’t think you can necessarily expect to have everything you want every year … To me, I want to be a part of this. I want to get us back on track. That is important to me.”

Girardi’s contract didn’t expire until October 31st and the Yankees did not grant him permission to speak to other clubs in the meantime for obvious reasons. His hometown Cubs reportedly made it clear through back channels they were willing to top any offer, plus the Nationals had interest as well. It’s not hard to argue those two clubs are better set up for success over the next four years than New York, but Girardi returned anyway.

Assuming Girardi sticks around for the full four years, the Yankees will have had just two managers over the previous 22 years. That’s after having 12 different managers for a total of 21 different stints in the previous 22 years. Yeah, the days of the late George Steinbrenner hiring and firing people on a whim are long gone. The Yankees are going through a rather delicate transitional period at the moment and Girardi has done a pretty good job of getting them through the early stages. Now they can move forward and start focusing on other stuff.

“[There is] a lot more work to do this offseason than there has been in the past,” added Girardi. “It’s a special place to manage. Just to be able to put on the pinstripes as a coach, a player, a manager is special. I’ve always thought about it that way. I wouldn’t have come back if I didn’t think we could win a championship.”

Categories : Coaching Staff

1. Mark in VT says:

Yes! Now lets get some work done!

2. Betty Lizard says:

Sigh. Of relief. Didn’t think the Yankees were going to get the mythical Magical Manager.
    Plus, arms like tree trunks.

3. JLC 776 says:

The man might be a masochist, but God dammit, he’s our masochist.

4. AllyinCt says:

Glad to hear it. I think that Joe realized that by the time he would be able to compare job offers, the Yankee offer would be off the table and he would be left with no leverage with the Cubs, Nationals, etc.

5. good news, glad it’s out of the way.

6. Dan says:

AWESOME. Now abandon $189 and let’s rock this shit.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

+28

• fat jeter says:

I will never understand this flawed logic among Yankee fans that equates amount of money spent on players to commitment to winning.

We got Girardi back. Yay. Still can’t draft. Still rely on washed up vets and cast-offs from broken teams. Still can’t produce MLB ready talent at a pace commiserate with the rest of baseball. But we sure as shit can spend money! The status quo continues. The can is kicked that much further down the road. Celebrate.

• Tony says:

You sure your a Yankee fan???

You sound like you should be Amazin Ave or better yet over the monster.

Yes at the prices that the Yankees charge we expect to team to spend money to put the best product on the field. Spending money to allocate talent in all capacities. That means talent from Japan, Cuba, DR and yes also in the draft.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Still does not know the meaning of the word commiserate.

7. BigBlueAL says:

Cant believe Im this happy and relieved that Girardi is back. I was not a big fan of Girardi at all after his first 3 seasons here but his last 3 seasons have won me over. He still makes some head-scratching decisions but all managers do and he really has improved dramatically with his handling of the media. I look forward to his interviews and press conferences now.

So again glad Girardi is back, now the real hard work begins for the front office…

• Laz says:

I’m still not a huge fan of him, but I am content with him back. He has worked out well in NY, and in recent days I was worried we would be stuck with someone like Dusty Baker. I was also worried in recent days that his price would get too high. I am content with $4M aav.

8. Bo Knows says:

Good

9. Nathan says:

Thankfully I don’t have to hear about all the Chicago talk now.

10. fabricio says:

oh yes for fucks sake!!!!!!!!!!! thank the lord !!! fuck off cubs

11. Pee Wee Herman Ruth says:

I guess this decreases the chance of a Girardi for Castro swap…

12. JLC 776 says:

Now let’s lock up Guillen for 3B coach, just because… reasons.

13. JGYank says:

Good to have the manager locked up before the offseason, but 4 years seems like a lot to me. Then again, length of contract doesn’t matter much with managers since you can always fire them anyway.

But as long as you don’t have a clown managing like Bobby V, managers don’t really impact the team too much. Too much credit and too much blame. It’s all about the players they have.

14. Nathan says:

Random question: Has Girardi made more as a manager than he did as a player? I’m guessing “yes”.

15. Pat D says:

Well at least we can put all of this conjecture bullshit to bed and move on to the next round of conjecture bullshit.

• LarryM Fl says:

Pat D. you hit the nail on the head!

• Pat D says:

Yep, onto the Cano Conundrum now.

• LarryM Fl says:

No problem, it was 7/161. Now its 6/161. More money per year less time. He will be 37 and a full time DH at the end of the contract. How much more money could he get? Who will pay it? Sure its a business but really. Doctors who operate and save lives do not make this type of money. Let him walk if its not enough!

• Winter says:

Doctors who operate and save lives do not make this type of money.

This is a terrible argument that crops up every now and then. Society pays more to have doctors than it does to have sports stars, it’s just there are many more professional-quality doctors than there are professional-quality athletes, so no one doctor makes that much money.

• Mister D says:

MY WIFE SPENT THE LAST 10 MONTHS STAYING AT HOME WITH OUR DAUGHTER BUT SHE DIDN’T GET PAID AND NOW SHE’S GOING BACK TO WORK AND SHE IS GETTING PAID ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT BEING AN ACCOUNTANT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN RAISING A CHILD IF SO I CAN TELL YOU YOU’RE WRONG AND RAISING A CHILD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD EXCEPT FOR RAISING TWO CHILDREN AND SO ON WAY TO GO OBAMA

• Mr. Roth says:

Why is it Obama’s fault that you chose not to pay your wife for taking care of your children?

• Mr. Roth says:

On second read, I’m assuming your post was sarcasm…lol

• Mister D says:

Indeed it was. The goofier thing is that, in an ideal meritocracy, there’s a better argument that athletes are underpaid than overpaid given the measures taken by professional sports leagues to restrict wages. Baseball players make absurd money, but that’s because we all pay absurd money to the owners of baseball teams for all things baseball related.

• Well also baseball and the Yankees in general generate way more revenue and sales $s than a hospital. That is why baseball players and entertainers get paid the money that they do.

16. Robinson Tilapia says:

By the end of his contract, only two men will have managed this team in the past 20 years. What a nice change of pace that is from watching Billy and Yogi and Lou and, somewhere in there, Clyde King get tossed around for years.

Glad ya stayed.

• Pat D says:

Interesting factoid, semi-related.

In the past 20 years, the Yankees have had 3 managers. So have the Padres and Giants. Only the Twins and Braves have had only 2 managers in those 20 years.

So, yea, what a contrast to the previous 20 years where the Yankees had 12 different managers (and that’s not counting the multiple tenures of Martin, Piniella, Michael, Lemon).

• LarryM Fl says:

Bring back Stump!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Stump’s still with the org, and kinda looking like a stump himself.

Once they got to Stump, it was pretty much, “yeah, they know they suck to high heaven.”

17. mustang says:

Good way to start the “winter of doom”

LOL

18. tipsie says:

Good for Joe. Used his leverage to get a four year deal. Should he last, that’s 10 years as NYY manager. Impressive.

He’ll really have to use his bullpen building skills this upcoming year. He’ll also have to massage the Captain into a more limited role soon.

He’s probably not great, but he’s good & stable; and we’re used to him. Counts for a lot.

• JGYank says:

If anything, Girardi knows how to build or at least improve a pen and is good at knowing how his players feel and when to give them rest. He works well with the older guys/vets and get the most out of the guys in the pen (besides Joba). He now handles the media well which will help in NY and in handling the Arod and offseason stuff. Those strengths will be really helpful the next couple of years.

• Mikhel says:

Really? In Florida he destroyed their bullpen, with the Yanks it has been the same, besides Robertson nobody else has been healthy.

Or by “improving” you mean: overusing the bullpen so much that their stats look good because of the amount of innings thrown, but by september almost everybody is stumbling?

Maybe the culprits have been the pitching coaches, because I have not seen an improvement in their pitchers, Hughes devolved onto Joba, Joba of course continued to be Joba, lots of old arms pitched, some pitchers (old and young) got more time than what they should (Mitre, Gaudin, Vázquez, Hughes, Joba).

In spanish there’s an old adage: más vale malo por conocido, que bueno por conocer (basically: it’s better to stick with the guy you know even if he has “bad things”, than to risk with somebody new who could end up being “good” but could very well end up being worse).

• Steve says:

Ummm…that adage exists in English friend. “The evil you know is better than the one you don’t.”

Just Saying. In any case, I agree. I’m glad the Yanks were aggressive is locking him up. I would’ve cringed at some of the managers that were available

• MannyGeee says:

You are aware that relief pitchers are BY FAR the most volatile of the professional athletes, right? Girardi is not out there killing the careers of bullpenners like the Headless Horseman… Its kind of a thing across baseball.

• KeithK says:

Given how volatile relievers generally are and frankly how fungible they are a good manager should ride the hot hand while it is hot. A relief guy can be replaced when he stops being good.

BTW – it’s kind of unfair to include Rivera in the unhalthy reliever category.

• BFDeal says:

In English there’s an old adage: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

• JGYank says:

Show me an example of Girardi taxing relievers besides Mo this year. It’s the one of few things he does well like I mentioned above. He is good at keeping guys fresh. The injuries to relievers aren’t his fault. His limits his use of them and keeps track of how they are feeling and their availability. Not his fault Logan or Kelley can’t pitch 60 innings without getting tired or injured. It’s a long season and some guys get injured or worn out during the end or even before that.

• Fin says:

Like Girardi had a choice. By August Girardi had very little to work with as far as starting pitchers go. When your starters cant go more than 5, night after night, the pen is going to get taxed.

• Klemy says:

He’ll also have to massage the Captain

Sounds more like a perk for Jeter than Girardi.

19. I'm One says:

Can’t say I’m disappointed by this. Not ecstatic, but I don’t know of a better available alternative either. One thing out of the way, on to the next (Robbie, I suppose).

20. UncleArgyle says:

Good Stuff. Glad thats out of the way.

21. mustang says:

It’s funny how people complain about their things until the guy next door tries to take it form you.

22. Pat D says:

Wait, Scioscia is the highest paid manager in baseball? I’m not sure whether to laugh or be angry.

• RetroRob says:

He’s the highest paid manager and he has some totally ridiculous deal length wise. I believe it was ten years and they’re only into year two. A ten-year, $50M deal. That’s just stupid. They’re not faced with a situation where they probably would like to make a change and they can’t.

• WhittakerWalt says:

A lot of stupid people (particularly here in Anaheim) think Scioscia is THE GREATEST MANAGER EVAR.
      As I said, a lot of stupid people.

23. Tom says:

Great News! Joe is a good manager that can only manage the roster he is given and he has done the best he can. Joe is the best manager available out there for the Yankees and now they can move forward and rebuild the team

• Mikhel says:

Did you know? Girardi was responsible for the lineups and never dropped Vernon Wells below 5th the whole season, batting him 3rd-4th-5th from may 16 to september 29th, when the Yanks won 39 and lost 53 with him in the middle of the lineup batting 0.199 AVG / 0.243 OBP / 13 extra bases (12 doubles, 1 HR).

Sure, there is a school of thinking that believes a manager is not responsible and those to blame are the players who didn’t bat/pitch well even when they sucked before they were put in that spot (like bringing Joba with his mediocre fastball in to pitch against dead pull fastball hitter… and more often than not the results were bad).

The good news also include that Vernon Wells will still be playing 3rd-4th-5th next year because they need to have it in the payroll for his salary (a big chunk of if) to be substracted from the payroll of the Yanks.

• BFDeal says:

No they do not need to have Wells on the payroll next year to have his salary subtracted from payroll. The Angels are on the hook for the bulk of his salary whether he’s on payroll or DFA’d.

• Mike HC says:

This is a fair complaint concerning Wells, but that had as much to do with a lack of other options. My biggest complaint was his overplaying of Stewart when the Yanks had a couple of young, promising catchers in Romine and Murphy that should have been playing more.

24. I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Yawn. Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

25. mustang says:

Now all they need to do is re-sign Robinson Cano while going out and getting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, catcher Brian McCann, and an infield insurance policy Cuban second baseman Alexander Guerrero.

Piece of cake.

26. LarryM Fl says:

I am happy that the Yankees have signed Joe G. for 4 more years. He manages much like the way he played. He gives you all that he can. He is intelligent about how he proceeds with the players, media and I assume the FO. He made good money as a player. He is making better money as a manager. He learned his lessons well. He learned much from Torre especially how to be a calm influence during the games. He just did not learn how to sleep and manage through a game.

He will be a very strong voice in the meetings to turn this ship around. He is not afraid to sit a veteran down when he is not going well. At the end of 4 years he should be toast. Plus his signing placed a thorn up Epstein a$$. He still bleeds Red Sox blood.

Not lets get the Hot Stove Season rolling with plans to make us a bit more competitive.

• Mikhel says:

Too bad that when he played even with his best efforts he was a below average player.

Who was the last Yankee manager to miss 3 postseasons for the Yankees in a single tenure managing the team (not counting 1994 because the playoffs were cancelled)? Ralph Houk (1967-1973)…

27. Frank says:

Even in the off season, the Cubs still lose.

28. gageagainstthemachine says:

I think there’s maybe an unstated silver lining to this story. That just may be that the Yankees FO were up front with their offseason plans (and long term plans) and Girardi was impressed enough that he would re-sign to be at the helm of a very competitive franchise and line-up over the course of the next four years (i.e. “Look Joe, I know you’ve heard the $189M and we both know that the core of this team is old, retired, and…old. But here’s what we plan on doing from within and from outside”). It must’ve been convincing enough for Girardi to take it without entertaining other options (plus the fact, that from what I’m reading…4yrs/$16M…he’s not getting a “significant” raise like was reported.) All that to me spells a manager that likes what he heard and said he wanted to sign on for a significant length of time to be in charge of it. Of course, this is per speculation and that’s pretty much all we have at this point and all that the offseason talk is really about, right? Going to be an interesting offseason my friends….winter is coming….

29. mick taylor says:

great, but fire rob thompson and kevin long

30. TCMiller30 says:

Suck one Cubs

31. Mike B. says:

I could never, ever like the Cubs.

32. NeilT says:

+1. C’mon Horowitz stop twiddling your thumbs, deal with A-Rod, and we can finally start our real off-season business.

33. rONALD sMITH says:

yEA WE CAN NOW HAVE 4 MORE OF LOSEING.THANKS CASHMAN

34. trr says:

I’m OK with this.
    Now let’s roll up our sleeves and get to work!

35. RetroRob says:

So thinking this over, Girardi implies it’s a family decision and that he has to think over if he wants to keep managing. Then he signs the longest contract of his managerial career.

Seems that the delay wasn’t about where he wanted to play or the money, but that he wanted that extra year. He had the leverage. I’m convinced all the Girardi-to-Chicago stories were coming from Joe’s agent.

36. Pseudoyanks says:

Good.

37. Chris Z. says:

Over / Under. 4 years is the longest contract the Yankees give out this offseason.

If they don’t sign Cano then I can see Girardi as the longest deal given out by the team this year.

#Sad #NewlyPoorTeamProblems

38. CashmanNinja says:

I’m thrilled that Girardi is back. Sure he may make a weird decision here or there, but he’s done a pretty damn good job with the bullpen and he sticks up for his players. I like a manager that has energy and won’t just bend over when an ump makes a bad call. He isn’t a perfect manager, but he fits this team well with the players and the media. And that is the most important thing of all: the media. It could be very easy for some of the off-field stuff to seep into the locker room and cause a lot of disdain. Girardi has managed that very well with the whole A-Rod fiasco. Plus we could do worse than Girardi. We could have Bobby Valentine or Dusty Baker.

39. If you can stand listening to Mike Francesa, Girardi is about to go on with the Pope. (WFAN for those under a rock)

40. beachbum says:

But does tne press release say how many years and how much the binder got . . .

Good for Joe. He deserves it. One of the hardest jobs in sports.

41. Betty Lizard says:

I’m sure Girardi will go wild to celebrate his new contract.
    According to his wife, that means having an extra bowl of cereal.

42. Mike HC says:

Sounds good to me. Second to the championship year, Girardi really proved his worth this season. Also added respect for the fact he accepted a very nice deal to stay in NY, rather than trying to maximize his value and land with whoever paid the most.

43. Farewell Mo says:

Good job bringing back Joe. Now if they can only get a few decent position players under the age of 30, they’ll be in business.

44. SeventhAce says:

That’s great and all, but can they just pry the binder from his arms yet?

45. There's the Door says:

That’s almost a dollar per future uncomfortable postgame press session.

46. Alex says:

I hope this doesn’t mean 4 more years of Kevin “Longball”

47. ZLone says:

Hold on – What kinda Koolaid are u folks drinking here, are u serious, happy we’re stuck with Girardi ! ?

Girardi is mediocre at best. Everyone was singing his praise this year having to “manage” with so many injured players. It forced him to start basic managing, something he didn’t do for his first 5 years !! The Yankees team has gotten so predictable ( until this year, rarely steal, no small ball, no place hit on the shift, and don’t get me started on men LOB, etc) and one dimensional that anyone can beat the Yankees if they put their mind to it. It’s sad to watch, Maddon, Showalter, Melvin, Farrell and others easily manage circles around him, you can even see his own coaches level of frustration on his indecisiveness, calls or reliance on “what to do” it is sad and Old Man Steinbrenner must be rolling over in his grave to see whats is going on, where the Yankees are and that its 4 more years of the same, my guess is the Ole Man would not have stood for it and would have replaced Girardi to start ! The FARM system sucks, the trades made sucked, the players they dumped ( who contributed to beating us, taking teams to post season runs or better ranking then the past (Matsui, Damon,Berkman, Colon, Ibanez, Swisher over the years only having to replace them because of holes in the field, bench or bullpen is comical if it wasn’t so sad and also lead them to pay more in the end missing the mark of getting under their budget cap ! Oh Cashman gets his nose out of joint and pulls evil Machiavellian crap (what they did to Jeter renewing his contract, despicable thats no way to treat your captain and record breaker – pot shots at his lifestyle, lets run A Rod thru the ringer too), on and on. Cashman is a BUM and he and Girardi deserve each other but us Yankee fans don’t, take a hike ! Wish the old man was still alive so he could clean house ! It is time to start a new, not more of the same !

Go Yankees !?