Dec

Eddy: Yankees sign Russ Canzler to minor league deal

Via Matt Eddy: The Yankees have signed first baseman/left fielder Russ Canzler to a minor league contract. I assume he received an invitation to Spring Training as well. Canzler was with the Yankees briefly last winter — they claimed him off waivers from the Indians on January 4th and lost him on waivers to the Orioles on February 5th.

Canzler, 27, has a 91 wRC+ with 102 big league plate appearances. He has punished Triple-A pitching over the years, putting up a .277/.358/.466 (~128wRC+) line in over 1,600 plate appearances at the level. That includes a .307/.390/.531 line against left-handed pitchers. Canzler is a cheap right-handed bat who offers a tiny bit of verstility, so he’s a nice guy for the Yankees to have in Triple-A as insurance. Heck, there’s a good chance he’ll be a better bench option that Vernon Wells next season.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

As always, I look forward to his game-winning hit in June and eventual DFA in July.

In all seriousness, about as good a AAA depth move as you can get.

2. Spencer Serling says:

YES! YES YES YES YES YES! He punishes left handed pitching in the minors and is an AWESOME option as a 5th outfielder who can hit lefties off the bench! Love at first sight baby, so amped

3. Wicomico Pinstripes says:

There’s a good chance Rickey Henderson could be a better bench option than Wells next season.

4. vin says:

#freeCanzler

… I can see the t-shirts now.

5. RetroRob says:

Did I step in a time machine and go back one year?

6. The Other Matt says:

Ironically, I became familiar with Russ Canzler through MLB The Show 13, the video game. LOL. He was on the Yankees initial roster as one of the reserve options to go along with a guy like Dan Johnson. Anyway, after becoming somewhat intrigued by his presence on the game, I took the time to research his stats, and splits, more specifically. Not only in the minors has he tore it up over a period of time, but in a small sample of ABs at the major league level, he has swung the bat extremely well against lefties. I’m rooting for the guy. I was hoping last season that the Yanks – during the time where they were seemingly trying any and everyone at third and could have used him as a platoon with Overbay at first – would try to re-acquire him after he was placed on waivers and then subsequently traded to Pittsburgh (and before they signed Mark Reynolds). Assuming A-Rod suspension is season-long, and depending what the Yanks do at third base, I like him as a guy who can possibly vie for a spot on the 25 man roster out of spring training. I would like to see the Yanks bring back Mark Reynolds, whether or not it be in a full time role. I honestly can care less about his defense – or lack thereof – or his strikeouts. The guy can hit the ball out of the ball park at any given moment, and the Yanks are going to need plenty of power, being that they probably won’t bring back Granderson, Teixeira’s power may decline with him coming off wrist surgery, and you possibly are without A-Rod a whole year, or altogether for that matter. Either way, good to see the Yanks sign Russ Canzler. A relatively unknown player that I’m rooting for.

• forensic says:

heh, that’s actually how I became familiar with Mat Gamel. He ended up on my team in a prior year of The Show and was awesome. He was non-tendered today. Go get him Cash!

7. Poconos Adam says:

Canzler is also from the area south of Scranton/WB, so it plays well with the AAA attendance…..as if that matters…..

8. MannyGeee says:

Somewhere in Japan, Jorge Vazquez sheds a tear, and Future HoF Ronnier Mustelier is getting ready to knife him in the locker room.

So much AAAA players for use to opine over in June when Wells goes 1-32 over a homestand. This is gonna be awesome

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Fear of the Day (FotD)™: Wells will have > one 1-32 home stand in 2014. And FHoFRC will still not get the call.

9. Drummy says:

Russ is from my town, Hazleton, Pa. He’s not only a great righty option and an attendance boon for S/W-B, but an awesome person first and foremost. He’s a hard worker from a good family and am so happy to see him with our beloved Yankees. Unlike last year, I hope he not only remains in the organization, but also earns a spot on the big league club. If he sets his mind to improving defensively at the infield corners, he could be a valuable – and cheap – option off the bench and against lefties.
    Great move, NY.

10. Vern Sneaker says:

Way better than Wells for this role.

11. Darren says:

What’s the deal with Dan Johnson? How does this guy compare/fit in? If Vernon looks shot, I could see him DFA’d in June, Randy Winn style. Well, not quite Winn or Francisco, but similar. Who was the last Yankee veteran position player that was with the team at least one full year that got released mid-season?