Dec

McCullough: Yankees receiving “significant interest” in Brett Gardner

Via Andy McCullough: The Yankees are receiving “significant interest” in Brett Gardner following the Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran signings. It’s unclear which teams have expressed that interest. New York is not shopping their incumbent center fielder, but they will listen to offers and are open to trading him. That goes for pretty much everyone.

Gardner, 30, hit .273/.344/.416 (108 wRC+) with 24 stolen bases in 145 games this past season while playing his usual stellar defense. He will become a free agent next winter and I think his trade value is similar to Norichika Aoki’s and Seth Smith’s, probably a bit higher since he’s a better defender. Aoki and Smith are both a year away from free agency as well and were traded this week for a five years of lefty reliever and one year of an ace setup man, respectively. As I said this morning, if some team wants to blow the Yankees away and offer a good starter for Gardner, great. Go for it. If not, keep him as a heavily used fourth outfielder. They have the leverage here.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. teddy says:

gardner should play more than soriano

• lou says:

Soriano is a better version of Granderson. I say play Sori and deal Gardner to fill another gaping hole.

• JGYank says:

“Soriano is a better version of Granderson.”

This is not true at all. Did Soriano finish in the top 5 in MVP voting as recently as 2011? Does he hit 40 homers like Grandy? Soriano can barely get his OBP above .300 at this point in his career.

• D says:

So what re: MVP top voting? Soriano posted 32 HR 108 RBI in 2013 then 34 HR 101 RBI this year. He’s also stolen 24 bases the last two years including 18 this year. He carried the Yankees for at least a month and finished second on the team in HR, third in RBI despite collecting only 243 PA. His BA hasn’t been so hot the past two years – .262 in 2012, .255 this year – but that’s much better than Granderson’s 2012-13 BA. Sori is a strikeout machine like Granderson but I’ll take 150-160 SO (Soriano) over 180-200 (Granderson) any day of the week, if I have to have a strikeout machine in the lineup.

Soriano has always been a low .300s OBP, high HR guy. You should say the same about Granderon’s OBP as he can barely get his OBP above .300 too with .319 OBP in 2012 and .317 OBP in 2013. For all of Granderson’s 43 HR in 2012 Soriano still drove in two more runs than him FOR THE CUBS, as well as bat 30 points higher with a slightly higher OBP than Granderson.

If Granderson is so good how come he signed with a pathetic team like the Mets? Who else was interested in him? The Mets are merely the N.L. version of the Mariners: a desperate team who made a desperate move. Granderson is not worth 4 years $15M a year save to a desperate team. He will have a rude awakening as Citi Field is not as conducive to homeruns as Yankee Stadium or any of the divisional rival bandboxes and he will face better pitching overall. He also won’t have any semblance of the 2011-12 Yankees to drive in. No more Jeter, Cano, Gardner, or Teixiera. He should lead the Mets in HR but that’s about it. Big whoop. Soriano for only $5M in 2014 is the much better move.

• JGYank says:

Grandy is younger, hits more homers per AB, and walks more. The Ks are bad for both but slightly worse for Granderson. But Soriano can’t walk or get on base as much. Soriano stole some bases last year but at a terrible clip (18 SB but 9 CS 66.7%) and didn’t steal much before that. Grandy actually has stolen more bases at a better rate since 2011.

Last 3 years Soriano: .254/.305/.487/.792 SB:26 CS:12 HR:92 BB:107 Ks:422 OPS+: 112

Last 3 years Grandy: .244/.338 /.504/.842 SB:43 CS:15 HR:91 BB:187 Ks:433 OPS+: 124 in 1393 ABs. (much fewer than Soriano because of injuries in 2013 which is why the HRs and Ks are close)

Grandy is better in everything except BA and Ks.

Cano just signed with the Mariners, does that mean he isn’t as good as Soriano as well?

• nycsportzfan says:

Well said D

• trr says:

teddy, you should follow the team more often

• Vincent Vega says:

Keep Gardner. Get a comp pick for him after the season.

2. DERP says:

Please no

3. Preston says:

Gardner needs to play everyday. Beltran and Soriano can rotate in the DH role and RF.

4. PaulieWalnuts says:

If Gardner gets traded, we riot…

But seriously, what is so hard about Ellsbury in CF, Gardner in LF, and Soriano/Beltran in RF/Dhing???

It makes for a great mix and match in the OF.

Besides, Gardner is better than Soriano. If you are going to get rid of one, why Gardner and not Soriano?

Do NOT trade Gardner, he has 6 WAR potential, and a likely WAR of 4+ with his move back to LF in 2014 where is defensive metrics were off the charts fantastic.

• ElAndrewAbreu says:

Everyone is forgetting about jeter, he has to DH too…he’s no longer an everyday shortstop

• JGYank says:

He’ll still play more often than not at short and a couple days a week he’ll Dh probably against lefties. It’s not like he’ll be the full time dh and ryan is going to be getting a huge amount of playing time at short.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

He doesn’t have to DH that much.
        If he’s physically bad enough that he needs to, it’s unlikely he’ll hit enough to be worth DH’ing.

Hypothetical breakdown:
        Gardner – 140 games OF
        Ellsbury – 155 games CF
        Beltran – 90 games RF, 55 games DH
        Soriano – 100 games OF, 45 games DH
        Jeter – 40 games DH, 100 games SS
        McCann – 120 games C, 20 games DH

• novymir says:

What if Ellsbury or Beltran get hurt? We need to keep Gardner.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I agree.
            The only way I’d even consider trading for Gardner would be for an above average 2B, 3B, or SP.
            And even then, I’d try to fill those needs through FA or by trading prospects first.

• Fin says:

Why does Jeter need to DH? When he needs a day off he gets a full day, instead of a half day. I would rather have Soriano or Beltran DH’ing than Jeter. Jeter probably shouldn’t be playing more than 120games this year. He’s a 40yr old coming off serious ankle surgery trying to play SS, he’ll need lots of rest.

• I'm a looser and a trader baby so why don't you kill me? says:

He needs to DH because he’s a card carrying member of the AARP, essentially hasn’t played full time ball since the end of the 2012 season, and is coming off a serious ankle injury, the type which has ramifications for years, even for people much younger than he.

He will get both full and half days off, and lots of them. And he will need them.

5. Theonewhoknocks says:

I think 4th OF isn’t the best way to describe Gardner. He should play every day with Soriano dh’ing most the time.

Beltran, Jeter and others will need DH days, but Gardner will play nearly every day.

I agree that there’s no point in trading him unless someone blew us away, as Soriano and Beltran are old and ellsbury tends to miss time. Gardner can easily get 500 ABs.

• PaulieWalnuts says:

Yeah, I don’t get why everyone seems to be under the impression that Soriano NEEDS to play everyday, particularly over Gardner?!?!?!? Soriano is good but NOT better than Gardner. Soriano is inexpensive and a free agent following the season and approaching 40 years old. If Jeter, Teix, etc. need a day at DH I don’t see why Soriano can’t sit.

• CountryClub says:

He doesn’t need to play every day but he does need to play every day against lefties.

• MartinRanger says:

Soriano has right-handed power. The only other guy in the lineup you can say that confidently about is Tex. Yes, his OBP is ugly, but he could be an RBI machine in the heart of the lineup.

• MartinRanger says:

Point is, he’s not useless against righties. Until he shows differently they have to play him as much as they can. Sorry, that wasn’t terribly clear from my response.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I wouldn’t say “useless”; he was basically average against them last season, well above average in 2012 and throughout his career.

• JGYank says:

I would like to have Soriano play against lefties but against righties I have no problem with him sitting. His right handed power is needed in the lineup against lefties in case Tex can’t return to form or Beltran continues his decline or gets injured.

• Fin says:

Why is Tex going to need days off to DH? To rest his wrist? Tex isn’t a 40 year old player, hes only going to be 34 this year and plays the least demanding position on the field. Other than the occasional day off, he should be penciled into the lineup every day. Outside of his wrist he isn’t dealing with any physical conditions and I don’t see how just hitting helps his wrist in anyway whatsoever.

• I'm a looser and a trader baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Right but he’s also signed for 24* more years so there’s a larger picture to consider as well.

* may be a slight exaggeration

6. Bob Buttons says:

While I’d love to keep him all I hope is that they don’t trade him for the sake of trading him.

7. CountryClub says:

I think they’re going to need him next year. But if they did trade him I wouldn’t want it to be for a one-year rental. Would you guys be in favor of them getting a top 100 prospect back? I’m talking about somebody in AA or AAA already.

8. Cuso says:

Like I said earlier, his value is greater than Aoki’s or Smith’s at the moment. Beltran wasn’t off the market when those two were traded.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Not to mention he’s way better than Aoki and Smith.

• Farewell Mo says:

He’s better than Aoki but let’s not get carried away.

Aoki is a 3-3.5 bWAR player the last 2 years while Gardner likely would be worth 1 more WAR realistically speaking.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

They’re essentially the same player offensively, and Gardner is a better CF than Aoki is an LF.

Gardner’s a much better player.

9. MartinRanger says:

So, I don’t think a lot of Yankee fans recognize the situation the team is in regarding Gardner.

No, on the whole they probably don’t want to trade him. Trading him means giving Ichiro more of a role than pinch runner and defensive replacement.

But for the first time in -ages- the Yankees have a player who is to extent expendable (i.e. not Cano) that is drawing wide interest around the league. For the first time in ages, they can sit back and watch other teams compile offers. Watch other teams, desperate for a Yankee player, potentially overpay in their eagerness to get a hold of him.

They have nothing to lose by listening, and potentially a great deal to gain. If somebody offers to plug one of the big holes in the roster (a mid-range starter, an everyday 2nd baseman, a competent third basemn) and even throw in a little extra, the Yankees have to consider doing that.

They aren’t selling Gardner for prospects. They are dangling him with the realistic chance of getting a player or to who could help them back to the postseason in 2014.

And you can bet Cashman knows all of this. And I bet the offers suddenly improve a great deal when Choo finally signs.

Wait and see. It’s been a while since the Yankees were in a position to do that.

• lou says:

Very well said. Yankees could deal Gardner to sure up their IF or SP. Doesn’t hurt to listen to offers. Don’t forget Gardner is in his last year of his contract.

• adjusts batting gloves says:

This! Plus one. The Yankees can now deal from a position of strength. They don’t have to trade Gardner, but they won’t lose much if they get end up getting an offer they want.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

At least Ichiro isn’t afraid to run…

Troll Job

• lightSABR says:

This. You’re absolutely right.

Now they just need to sign Choo, and they’ll own all the outfielders. Imagine Gardner’s trade value then! ;)

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Exactly. If I’m Cashman I’m not looking to trade Gardner, but I’m more than willing to let someone try to pry him from me.

• Laz says:

If no good trades I could see it being wiorthwhile to keep him and get the draft pick. He is a better player than Cruz. I don’t thing it would be a stretch. Especially since he is in 30 s now

10. meaty Matt says:

Trade him to the White Snox for Chris Sale. Done

11. CountryClub says:

The problem with trading Gardner is that you’re one injury away from Ichiro becoming an everyday player again.

• JGYank says:

Plus Beltran and Ellsbury are injury prone and Soriano and Beltran are old. So an injury isn’t unlikely plus our defense without Gardner becomes much worse. It also takes a good amount of SBs away from our lineup.

12. FIPster Doofus says:

“If not, keep him as a heavily used fourth outfielder.”

Why would the second-best all-around outfielder on the team (behind Ellsbury) be the fourth outfielder?

• MartinRanger says:

Because he has more positional flexibility than Soriano and Beltran combined. No need to pencil him into one spot.

• FIPster Doofus says:

OK, but in Gardner’s case, the phrase “fourth outfielder” irked me when I read it.

• MartinRanger says:

Utility outfielder? Roaming outfielder? I think the Yankees can easily get him 500 ABs at all three positions.

• Mike HC says:

If not traded, Gardner is definitely going to be the starting left fielder, and might slide to center when Ellsbury rests. I don’t see him as a heavily used 4th outfielder or utility outfielder. I know everyone has this “rotating DH” in their head, but it seems the Yanks will now have a full time DH between Beltran and Soriano.

• MartinRanger says:

That’s an awful lot of money for a DH platoon. If they don’t play Beltran against lefties sometimes and hope that last year was a SSS issue then he really was an overpay.

• Laz says:

They should rest him heavily since they went 3 years. Beat the pulp out of Soriano. I want Beltran healthy, care less about Soriano.

• Mike HC says:

I meant they will essentially switch off playing rightfield and DH. Both will be full time players.

And as we are all too familiar, these log jams have a way of sorting themselves out, unfortunately. Between daredevils Gardner and Ellsbury and ancients Beltran and Soriano, it would be a miracle if all of them were healthy the entire season. Here is to hoping it happens though. The Yanks are due for some injury luck.

• JGYank says:

I think his range is wasted in RF at YS. I would keep him in left and center at least at home.

13. I think trading Gardner, for the right piece, is smart. Does anyone think they’ll resign him after this year?

• Bob Buttons says:

It’s not unlikely. They don’t exactly have many major-ready OF on the farm after the year barring something unexpected, plus Soriano, Wells and Ichiro is gone after 2014.

• At what price though? Marlon freaking Byrd got $8M a year. I like Gardner, I just don’t see him in the long-term plans now that Ellsbury is here.

• Bob Buttons says:

Yeah I considered that but it’s not just him that’s got a high price tag. He’s probably more attractive than the people I see on the list from MLBTR.

• lightSABR says:

We’re a lot closer to having major-ready OFs than major-ready IFs. It’s not inconceivable that Slade Heathcott or Tyler Austin will be ready by 2015.

But you’re probably right. Not something we can count on, especially given the way the farm has performed lately.

• Farewell Mo says:

Until one of those prospects has even a decent season in AA, I’d hold off on pencilling them into a starting job in the majors.

• Bob Buttons says:

I envision both of them at least 1.5 years from majors and three years ready from a starting job, seeing how old most Yanks rookies are in recent memory.

By then Beltran is probably out along with whatever else we get in the mean time, so we need another OF. Mason might be 3-4 years away. We can use Gardner for three more years at least.

Plus who knows when we’re gonna deal away our OF prospects?

• Fin says:

I envision any of the current Yankees minor league OF’ers to be long shots to be MLB contributors on contending teams like the Yankees. I cant imagine the Yankees making any plans with Williams, Heathcott or Austin in mind. If they work out fine, they will find a place for them or trade them, but they certainly haven’t shown anywhere near enough to make plans based on them.

• JGYank says:

Maybe. I think the market for FA position players gets pretty thin after this year so there’s a chance he stays. Soriano Wells and Ichiro will all be gone by the end of this year like Bob Buttons said. But some of our prospects may have a shot to take his job like lightSABR stated. If there is no progress on the farm, and we don’t see much else on the market he will probably stay along with JE and Beltran. Plus Beltran may have to become a DH at some point so maybe they might need Gardy and someone else to play the corners spots.

14. nyjoe371 says:

Gardner for Daniel Murphy seems like a fair trade that can help both the Mets and Yankees

15. Trevor says:

How about Gardner for chase headley and maybe a pitcher

• Steve O. says:

Padres don’t need another OF. They really don’t match up well with the Padres. They match up well with say, the Diamondbacks much better.

• lightSABR says:

Chase Headley and three pitchers, plus San Diego paying all the salary. Oh, and get the Padres to trade for Mike Trout and throw him in as well, just to make it even. ;)

• emac2 says:

Headley for Gardner, nuno and banualos?

16. qwerty says:

Yankees aren’t shopping one of their veterans so they can get back younger players? Shock

• Fin says:

Maybe because Gardner with 1 yr before FA isn’t valuable enough to bring back a young player outside of a low minor league lottery ticket. They aren’t trading David Price.

17. Steve O. says:

Trade Gardner for an SP/IF sign Choo, Infante, another starter, a bullpen arm, and call it an offseason.

18. JGYank says:

I don’t know how I feel about this. I want to keep Gardy. He is a starting outfielder and will be our only CF in case Ellsbury goes down. If we trade him, Ichiro may have to play center if Ellsbury needs a rest or gets injured. Do not want. Gardner should be the starting LF on most days and can play CF if Ells can’t or needs a rest.

I have no problem seeing what we can possibly get for him or just to get a feel for how other teams value him but unless I get a very nice return I would keep him.

19. Jorge Steinbrenner (the rarely spoken-of sibling) says:

Blow us away and we’ll listen. Other than that, zero reason to deal him.

If that #3 starter or starting 2B comes from it, I’m willing to play ball here.

20. Get Phelps Up (looking for a new name) says:

Gardner should be the everyday LF, Ellsbury the everyday CF, and Beltran/Soriano rotate between RF and DH.

• JGYank says:

Agree. Soriano can also play LF on occasion against a lefty and Gardy can sit or replace Ells in CF if he gets injured or needs a rest. This will help get Jeter time at DH and let Ryan play short. Against righties Sori can sit but I’m not sure who would DH then.

21. Go-go-Gosuke says:

Even if it’s only for one year, I just want to see Gardner and Ellsbury in the same outfield (especially in Yankee Stadium). #lockdown.

22. tmoney says:

Gardner to Philly for Cesar Hernandez. Philly needs a CF and Yankees need a 2b. Philly has him blocked by Utley. Win Win and my trade proposal doesn’t suck.

I deal #9 hitter. Switch hitter hits to all fields good speed and good defense.

• RobC says:

If you want to trade with the Phillies their closer is probably available
      OK who is laughing and who is vomiting at that thought ?

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Heh, Hernandez is basically Brett Gardner at 2B.

The only issue is that the Phillies probably aren’t competitive this year, and therefore aren’t about to trade 6 years of Hernandez for 1 year of Gardner unless we kick something else in.

23. Lisa says:

That would be an enormous mistake! He is one of their most valuable all-around players. How many games did he get the only hit time and time again only to be stranded on base? How many stolen bases…only to get stranded by all of the so-called “valuable” players. I guess this just shows that everyone is disposable….No wonder players are leaving for better offers when there is no loyalty in return from the “Yankee family”….Hideki Matsui, Jorge Posada, Johnny Damon, Raul Ibanez, Russell Martin, Curtis Granderson…Brett Gardner? PLEASE NO!

24. nsalem says:

The Yankees won the 1949 WS with a team plagued by nagging injuries. Nobody played more than 114 games except Jerry Coleman (128 games) and Phil Rizzuto who sat for just one game. In reference to his often resting 3 of his star players DiMaggio, Keller and Henrich at the press conference after the series Stengel said “If I played them every day I would’ve killed ‘em”. I think the same would apply to an outfield of Soriano, Ellsbury and Beltran. I don’t think anyone wants to see Ichiro starting more than 40 games (if even that many), but that would inevitably happen if we went into next season with Ichiro as the 4th outfield option. Gardner should not be considered a spare part. Unless he yielded a number 3 starter such as Bailey I would not consider it.

25. Adam says:

Trade Gardner for Brandon Phillips and now you got a great replacement for cano at 2nd and cheaper for less years.

26. RobC says:

Signing Choo then trading Gardner is an interesting idea but would it decrease Gardner’s value since the Yankees would have an OF glut?
    An OF of Choo, Ellsbury, and Sariano / Beltran RF/DH sounds nice.
    They could still find some DH time for McCann and when Jeter does not play SS he sits.

27. Yanks5114 says:

Mike,
    Why do you keep calling Gardner a Fourth outfielder? He was the starting Centerfielder and leadoff hitter last season and is a Gold Glove Caliber Leftfielder.Why would Gardner not be our starting Leftfielder with Beltran and Soriano gettting playing time in Right and DH and Soriano playing some Leftfield too.

• RetroRob says:

Gardner will play more OF than any player on the team with the exception of Ellsbury and that’s only if Ellsbury stays healthy. Soriano and Beltran will rotate into the OF and DH slot. They will all get playing time, but Gardner’s defense and youth will give him more OF time than either Soriano or Beltran.

28. Zachariah says:

Only deal him if its a good return. Its too early to be sure but based on the market he would probably turn down a QO. Dbacks are looking for an OF (albeit they wanted a power bat). But Id love to grab either Owings or Davidson…both are MLB ready and as of now they are blocked.

29. Yanked says:

Hypothetical breakdown:
    Gardner – 140 games OF
    Ellsbury – 155 games CF
    Beltran – 90 games RF, 55 games DH
    Soriano – 100 games OF, 45 games DH
    Jeter – 40 games DH, 100 games SS
    McCann – 120 games C, 20 games DH

What happens to the DH spot if Arod only gets suspended for 50 games? He’d need to be in this rotation as well.

• bkight13 says:

ARod plays 3b if he isn’t suspended and it’s actually what they need right now. 50 games blows up the 189 plan, but ARod at 75% is clearly the best option for the team. RH power and plays 3b.

• RetroRob says:

One of the best things that can happen to the Yankees is they spend on the assumption A-Rod is going to be suspended, and then at some point in Januaary it is announced that A-Rod is not being suspended. They will be a better team.

30. j says:

Gardner to Seattle for Nick Franklin. Or maybe Dustin Ackley.

31. bkight13 says:

Would def trade Gardner for a 3b, 2b or a SP. He has value as a trade chip, Ichiro and Wells do not. Gardner will not be worth the money he will soon get and Ellsbury is here long term for the top of the order. We have OFers in the pipeline to be the 5th OFer on the cheap. Maybe an Aaron Hill from AZ or Brett Anderson from OAK. SEA matches up pretty well for IFers and SPs.

ps- I don’t get all the love for Infante. He has no OBP, speed or power. With Johnson, Nunez, Ryan we already have a glut of average IFers.

32. RetroRbo says:

Seth Smith? 1.2 WAR Seth Smith? 1.1 to 1.3 for four straight seasons Seth Smith? Part-time player Seth Smith?

Gardner is an elite defender who can be slotted in CF. He draws walks, drives up pitch counts as well as anyone in the Majors, and has exceptional speed. Listen, I’m not overvaluing Gardner. I know what his weaknesses are, but he is more valuable than Seth Smith. I certainly wouldn’t trade him even up for Seth Smith. (BTW I actually like Seth Smith and hoped the Yankees acquired him at one point, but I wouldn’t trade him for Gardner.)

Now if this all based on one-year of ownership I can see that, yet I’d still trade more for him than I would for Seth Smith.

End of Seth Smith rant. Maybe.

• RetroRob says:

Correcting my name. Clearly upset by this Seth Smith comparison. Haven’t been this upset since two weeks ago when Brian the Dog was killed.

• RetroRob says:

You know if you double Seth “1.2 WAR” Smith’s career WAR it still is 20

Brett Gardner had a 6.0 WAR season. Seth Smith has a career WAR of 7.8.

Fun Seth Smith fact: He only produced 0.9 more WAR than Brett Gardner did in 2012 when Gardner was disabled for nearly the entire year.

RetroRob grumbles, exiting into the ether. Seth Smith…Seth smith…seth smith…

• FIPster Doofus says:

Thank you. Mike Axisa’s great and easily the best Yankees writer around, but he’s out to lunch putting Smith and Aoki in the same breath as Gardner.

• RetroRob says:

I really am surprised no one else questioned that.

Just noticed I didn’t finish that first line, which should have read “if you double Seth ’1.2 WAR’ Smith’s career WAR it still less than Gardner’s by 20%”. I think I stopped when I realized it wasn’t quite 20%, but point stands. Seth Smith is not a good compare.

In fairness to Mike, I have seen that written elsewhere, so maybe that’s the industry belief, but I’m not buying it. MLB teams have a good understanding of the value of players which is why the Yankees are now receiving significant interest in Gardner, because they know Gardner will deliver much more than Smith or Aoki. The value of a win in the two Wild Card era is quite high and Gardner can deliver a impact because his speed and defense and his ability cause wear and tear on a pitching staff.

Now if he gets traded for something like Will Smith or a little better, I’ll stand corrected.

• qwerty says:

Correction, Gardner is a good defender in center, not elite. Ellsbury is elite.

• TCMiller30 says:

I’d say that’s not true at all. I’d argue that Ellsbury has had a harder CF to play that Gardner with the piece of crap that is Fenway Park (Seriously, that place is such a dump), but I think Gardner is a better CF. Unfortunately, he hasn’t really played much CF in his career in pinstripes, and they’re both great defensive CFers. If you regularly watch the Sox, he takes way more questionable routes than you’d like to see, but he’s so fast he can usually cover his mistakes.

• TCMiller30 says:

That said.. They’re both elite CFs, and I really want to see them on the field at the same time.

• RetroRob says:

Gardner’s defensive numbers last year were not elite, which was probably his point, but also not relevant. One of year of data tells us nothing. I’d want to see three years of defensive stats, plus get a read on how scouts view him. Ellsbury is elite, but even he had a season where he rated negative, something that has never happened to Gardner.

His overall stats and scouting reports have Gardner as a top-notch defender. His arm is not great, but is better (substantially) than Ellsbury.

I suspect when we see Ellsbury day in and day out we will see he is elite, but no better than Gardner. The two of them together will make quite a duo, assuming Gardner is not traded or Ellsbury is not injured for most of the season!

• qwerty says:

I think it is relevant, because I know for a fact that if Gardner had compiled amazing defensive metrics last season fans would be all over those stats. Anyone who would dare to say it’s just one season would most likely be shouted down. That’s pretty much how it works.

The bottom line is you really don’t need to use metrics to judge Gardner. Gardner has made a handful of great plays last season, but he doesn’t do so as consistently and often as Ellsbury. I honestly don’t even remember the last time that Gardner dove for a great catch. Comparing them as centerfielders is almost like comparing them as basestealers.

33. Eselquetodolosabe says:

“If” you’re going to trade him, maybe a three teamer…., NY, SD and Arizona – Headley coming to NY, Gardner to Arizona and prospects from Arizona and NY going to SD. If you’re not going to trade him.., for God’s sake, lock him up now ! 4 years 32mm, or 36mm, or whatever ! With the way FA’s are getting paid, pay this guy now and avoid the drama.

34. Ken says:

I would have preferred Matt Kemp or Curtis Granderson over Beltran

35. JLC 776 says:

I sincerely hope the Yankees don’t deal Gardy. I freaking love the guy.

36. Ken says:

Ellsbury and Gardner running wild is key for us. You don’t trade that! I think Ichiro and Wells are clearly expendable, just not sure what u get for either………….

• qwerty says:

Brett Garder is down to 20 stolen bases a year, he’s not running wild on anyone.

• bkight13 says:

Ellsbury is what makes Gardner expendable. We don’t need Gardner to lead off and run with Jacoby here. They need a traditional power OFer to cover for the lack of power at 2b,3b and SS.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

They currently have 2 traditional power OFers, though.

• bkight13 says:

Exactly. They don’t need what Gardner offers since they have Ellsbury. Trade him for something they do need like a SP.

• RetroRob says:

Despite what was said initially by the Yankees about Gardner, they do appear to be open to listening to offers on him, as they should. It really comes down to what they can get for him either directly or as part of a package. My guess is they may decide what he offers is more valuable than what they’ll get back, especially with the injury history of Ellsbury, the knees of Beltran and the age of Soriano. He will most likely be needed to either play pretty regularly in left, or to cover for those others.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I’d rather keep him than trade him for the sake of trading him, though. You want to have 2 speedy guys, and we don’t have one in the infield right now.

I think they’ll be able to get Gardner into 130 or so games next year as Sori and Beltran rotate in at DH and Ellsbury takes time off. If we don’t get at least a Howie Kendrick or a couple years of a No. 4 starter for him, it’s better to keep him as Ellsbury insurance.

• cooolbreeez says:

what’s the going rate for a pair of washed up outfielders these days?

37. D says:

NO to trading Gardner.

You people are making WAYYYY too much out of the current setup. The Yanks didn’t give Beltran three years and $15M a year to be a DH in 2014. He will be the 2014 RF. They’ll cross the bridge called 2015 when they get to it.

This means Soriano (who you all seemed to forget posted 34 HR and 101 RBI between two teams last year and was hands down the best Yankee run producer after Cano in the second half, after he posted 32 HR and 108 RBI for the lowly Cubs in 2012) will be the primary DH, backup LF, and third-string RF assuming Suzuki is the backup RF and CF after Gardner (third-string CF if the Yanks start Gardner in CF on Ellsbury’s rest days.)

I don’t want to hear about Derek Jeter needing DH at-bats. Fuck Derek Jeter. This team should not be built around his playing time. He wants to remain the shortstop, he’s the shortstop and should be nothing more. The Yanks cannot and should not sacrifice DH power so Jeter can get his at-bats and rest from the field unless he’s hitting like he has hit 1996-2012 save his 2010. First off he should be at 3B not SS and if he was he should never get a start at DH playing 3B either, a re-signed Reynolds should be the 3B, Soriano or whoever power hitter the DH. Jeter can be the emergency/garbage time SS/3B or pinch man on dsys he doesn’t start, that’s it. The Yanks should’ve let Jeter decline his player’s option then let him go for $14M cleared ($17M Jeter stole this year minus $3M buyout) and used that money to sign Stephen Drew for SS and they would’ve had Drew at SS with Ryan as the PERFECT backup SS.

• D says:

I hate Jeter now, I really do. It’s not that he’s old and a chinadoll now, not that in the least as I can totally see that – he has alot of mileage on the odometer and if anything it shows he has aged naturally unlike that PED using freak David Ortiz – it’s that he squeezed the Yankees out of an extra $2.5M for 2014 by threatening to decline his player’s option and has yet to volunteer to move to 2B or 3B or GASP! become a backup baseman along with remain a shitty defensive (and possibly hitting) shortstop.

The dark comedy of this is if the Yanks had just let go of Jeter they’d have had $22.5M cleared to put towards re-signing Cano like this: $14M cleared from Jeter signing elsewhere ($17M he stole in 2014 minus his $3M buyout) plus $8.5M the team no longer has to pay toward’s A.J. Burnett. Add that to the $175M offer for Cano for $197.5M total rounded up to $200M then tack on another $10M and year, and Cano would’ve remained a Yankee for 8 years $210M ($25.125M a year), I really think he would’ve. And the Yanks STILL could’ve signed Drew for SS. Cano 2B, Drew SS. Instead it’s Johnson 2B (for now) and Jeter SS (when it should be Ryan.)

38. sevrox says:

Don’t agree with the ’4th OF’ part – his numbers make him a regular starter in LF.

• D says:

Word 4th OF??? Gardner is not Bubba Crosby folks. Gardner would be the leadoff-hitting LF or CF for whoever needs a leadoff hitter.

If the Yankees put him on the trading block, he should be marketed as nothing less that and a bargain version of Michael Bourn who’s career OBP is only .335 vs. Gardner’s .352.

39. Jake Conte says:

The Yankees should not trade Brett Gardner. Alfonso Soriano, Vernon Wells and, I think Ichiro, will all be free agents after next season. Gardner and Ellsbury make a superior left field – center field combination. And, Gardner is insurance if Ellsbury gets injured. Yankees should sigh Gardner in spring training to a long term deal. Please don’t trade him away

• D says:

The Yankees should re-sign Soriano for another year if he posts at least 25 HR and 85 RBI in 2014. That kind of power and run production doesn’t come around that often cheap and for only a year. The Yankees are paying only $5M towards Soriano’s $18M salary for 2014. If Soriano posts 30 HR and 100 RBI, I think he should be re-signed for double that and he would take that to remain a Yankee. Hopefully he will collect the dozen stolen bases he needs to be only the fifth member of The 400 HR 300 SB Club after Hall Of Famers Aaron and Mays, cheater A-Rod, and most likely a cheater Bonds (as he has never been definitively proven to have cheated although he’s just short of that with his perjury conviction.) If Sori does that, maybe he re-signs at a discount. $10M is respectable/respectful offer. That’s double his 2014 salary. Use $5M of the $12M cleared letting go of Jeter for Soriano’s raise and you still have $7M of that cleared money to play with.

40. cooolbreeez says:

If we can upgrade the pitching, we have to give a trade of Gardner consideration.

*It’s looking more and more like Tanaka will not be posted,and our biggest deficiency now is SP.

• D says:

If the Yanks can’t get Tanaka they should bring back Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia on one year-deals for Sabathia/ Kuroda/ Colon/ Nova/Garcia. They can party like it’s 2011 haha.

Warren, Phelps, Nuno, Banuelos, and Pineda would be PLLLENTY of in-house reinforcement further developing as the AAA rotation. Huff can be that, too, as the swingman in the Yankees pen to start 2014 (replace him with Warren or Phelps if he sucks.)

Colon posted a 2.65 ERA. If his ERA goes up by a run, he posts a still nice 3.65 ERA.

Garcia posted a 4.77 ERA and 1.285 WHIP and served up 17 HR in 13 starts for Atlanta and Baltimore in 2013, but he had good control I doubt any of the in-house farmhands would have: only 16 BB, one HBP, one WP, and no balks in 71.2 IP. He’d be someone I at least start 2014 with and see how much I can get out of him. If he has a servicable April and May then sucks or gets hurt in June, the Yanks can trade or cut him if he sucks or put him on the DL if he gets injured and just call up one of the AAA starters.

$8M for Colon + $1M for Garcia = $9M total.

41. Jersey Joe says:

Brett Gardner, after the defection of Swisher, Rivera, Pettitte, Cano, and now Granderson is my favorite player on the team. That said, it is not fair for him to be forced into a 4OF type role, even if he plays 120 games during the season. Gardner deserves to play everyday, and it’s not fair to keep him here considering all he has done for the team, not to mention what he could fetch in a trade.

Martin Prado would be a great option, playing 3rd, 2nd against lefties (replacing KJ), and around the diamond. Prado isn’t an FA until 2017, but he’s younger and has more power than Infante, who would be around for the same amount of time. With Davidson coming up at 3rd base, and Hill covering 2B, and the OF crowded, a three team trade could work to acquire Prado by trading Gardner. The OF is crowded with Gardner types like Parra, Pollock, Eaton, so perhaps a three way trade could work that would send a power-hitting OF to Arizona. Maybe a 3 team trade could work that would send some starting pitching to Arizona and needs an OF.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, GGBG is now my favorite player (after Jeets, of course).

I’m pretty sure he’ll play more than 120 games if we keep him, though. Beltran and Ellsbury are each 130-140 game players, and a bunch of those games will be at DH for Beltran, not to mention that Soriano will also be DHing a ton.

• Jersey Joe says:

I really want Jeter to play third though, and that’s just not going to happen; if it does, it doesn’t reduce the likeliness of injury. He’s going to DH, no matter what. A Prado trade would just do wonders for the lineup, along with a righty 2B like Ellis.

vs. RHP:

1. Ellsbury CF
        2. Prado 3B
        3. Beltran RF*
        4. McCann C*
        5. Soriano LF*
        6. Teixeira 1B*
        7. Jeter DH
        8. Johnson 2B
        9. Ryan SS (With a bench bat moving * hitters to DH)

Bench:

4. Soriano LF
        5. Teixeira 1B
        6. Prado 3B
        7. McCann C
        8. Ellis 2B
        9. Ryan SS

Gardner + catcher/prospect could definitely fetch Prado, but it may require a 3 team trade.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

I’m actually really not worried about Jeter’s health this year. He’s a year out from his broken ankle, and it should be fine.

My bigger concern is that it sapped whatever mobility he had left, but that won’t stop them from running him out there at SS.

42. Scott says:

Brett Gardner to Oak for Brett Anderson. Only trade Gardner if a starter is involved. Anderson is left handed and with two years of control. Of course he’d have to pass the physical which may be the problem. Also I believe his salary is only $8.5M

• FIPster Doofus says:

Anderson suffers an injury every time the wind blows. I wouldn’t give up Gardner for such a risky pitcher.

43. Yankeefan91 says:

Trade Gardner for a starter and sign Rajai Davis

44. Dicka24 says:

How about Gardner to SF for Sandoval? Both are FA’s at the end of the year. Fills a need at 3B too. Just a thought.

• Jersey Joe says:

I would like this deal, but the Giants OF is pretty much set. Gregor Blanco is quite good, and Pagan isn’t too shabby either.

• Kosmo says:

Sandoval is perhaps the most out of shape position player in MLB. He´s easily 50 pounds overweight. Pass. Who would play 3B for the Giants next year?

45. Kosmo says:

Gardner for Aaron Hill and Zeke Spruill. Yanks get a good 2B on a 3 year contract, this would allow Arizona to move Prado or Gregorius to 2B with Davidson/Chavez at 3B and Owings to SS. Spruill would be comp for the Hill contract which is 35 million over 3 years.

• Jersey Joe says:

Wouldn’t want Kelly Johnson playing 3rd full time – Prado seems to be the better option. See my posts above.

• FIPster Doofus says:

But is he attainable? I doubt it.

• Kosmo says:

of course Prado is the better option. Hill if he can stay healthy is a fine 2B. Johnson would share 3B with someone else. Hill has good RH power which NY would like to add.
        I like Prado alot and would have no problem slotting him in as the next Yankee 3B. If Davidson can handle 3B it allows Prado to move to the OF or to 2B. His versatility will probably keep him in Arizona. Prado is 2 years younger than Hill. Their respective contracts are about the same 3 years 30+mil.

• Jersey Joe says:

Eh. Hill has shown brilliance in Arizona, but he was injured last year after giving a solid performance. I think that in the right deal, they would trade Prado, especially considering the crowded OF with Parra, Pollock, Eaton, Ross, etc. That also means that a third team may be needed to fetch Prado for Gardner.

46. Fin says:

Garner for Headley straight up.

.268/.352/.381 ops .733 Gardner

.269/.350/.415 ops. .765 Headley

Almost the same career War as well. Both have 1 year left before FA. The Yankees get the 3b they need and the Pads get the left handed outfielder they are looking for. Win Win.

• Kosmo says:

I mentioned this the other day, the Pads end up with nothing if Gardner hits FA. I think the Pads want cost controlled players over the longterm to make a deal for Headley work.

• Fin says:

That may be what they want, but I would argue that Headley with 1 year of control wont net them a cost controlled player that’s worth much. Would be the same if the Yankees wanted the same for Gardner. Both have very similar values. Maybe the Pad’s will just hang on to him and hope he has a smoking hot first half of the season and then maybe get a cost controlled player at the deadline, but if he doesn’t they will be stuck with getting very little for him. They should have traded him last year if they wanted young cost controlled players, when he had 2yrs left, coming off a career year, that looks like an outlier.