Jan

Biertempfel: Yankees had interest in Chris Dickerson

Via Rob Biertempfel: The Yankees had interest in bringing outfielder Chris Dickerson back before he took a minor league contract with the Pirates earlier today. Dickerson told Tim Williams he signed with Pittsburgh because their right field job is wide open, at least until top prospect Gregory Polanco shows up.

Dickerson, 31, hit .238/.266/.400 (78 wRC+) with four homers and five steals in 109 plate appearances for the Orioles last season. He also hit .243/.350/.368 (104 wRC+) with two homers and one steal in 160 Triple-A plate appearances. I’ve always liked Dickerson because he does a little of everything — he’s got some power, got some speed, and he’s a really good defender. Not sure what more you’d want in a cheap extra outfielder. If the Yankees can unload Ichiro Suzuki, Dickerson could have filled his role (pinch-runner and defensive replacement). No surprise he went for the better opportunity though.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. pat says:

Dickerson, much like that 13th shot of Wild Turkey, seems like a good idea at the time but ultimately proves itself immemorable.

2. gageagainstthemachine says:

Born and raised in Montana, I dreamt my whole life of seeing a game in Yankee Stadium. Two Septembers ago, that dream came true. Phil Hughes was on the mound against the Orioles and the game was quickly over (and not in a good way, but I didn’t have to tell you guys that…) Chris Dickerson of all people hit a bomb of a homer to right. Not exactly the dream game I had in mind. But I still loved the experience (particularly the museum) and can’t wait to go back.

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Wow. I forgot how awesome of a game Dickerson had. Now that I read the article, I remember him robbing Jones of the homer. It was a great play and I think I was the only person in my group that was actually paying attention at the moment he caught it. So, some good memories after all.

• RetroRob says:

Strangely, I remember Dickerson hitting a HR in September that year in a game Phil Hughes pitched to less-than-good results.

Hopefully your next trip brings better results for your viewing pleasure!

3. vicki says:

big swingin’ dickerson!

4. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I don’t know if I’d have the patience for another round of “Free Chris Dickerson.”

On an MiLB? All day and night. Oh well.

5. Eselquetodolosabe says:

No Dickerson ?! Probably for the best. Young Mr. Almonte will be given every opportunity to make the club in spring training…., and he won’t necessarily have to light the spring on fire either. I’d like to see this kid make the club, and see what he can do with the parent club on a semi-regular basis.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Probably better for Almonte to play every day in AAA to prepare for an inevitable OF injury than to rot on the MLB bench with no discernible role.
      I suppose maybe if they trade Gardner, he could become a factor.

• Eselquetodolosabe says:

Somehow I think things will fall into place, whether by trades, injuries, or dfa’s (*cough, Wells), that will allow NY to give this kid 350 or so at-bats. He had a good winter in the DR – high slugging %, but still a bit too many strike-outs. I don’t know if AAA will do anything more for Almonte. IMO, he’s ready to finish his development in the bigs. Long year, we shall see.