Jan

Monday Night Open Thread

I know hot stove news should pick up now that the holidays are over, but man I am so ready for this offseason to end. Sitting around waiting for the Alex Rodriguez ruling — which could come at any moment now — is probably the worst part of any offseason I can remember. At least the Masahiro Tanaka stuff has a deadline. This just never seems to go away. Sick of it. Bring on Spring Training already.

Here is your open thread for the night. Florida State and Auburn are playing the National Championship Game tonight plus the Rangers, Islanders, and Nets are in action as well. Talk about those games or anything else right here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. forensic says:

A-Rod cheered at home? That seems like a different lifetime.

Guess the boos started after his third PA, when he made his first home out…

2. forensic says:

Jack Curry said on Yankees Hot Stove that Casey Close has been on vacation with his family and that’s part of why it’s been quiet on Tanaka so far.

Who the hell allowed him to go on vacation when we’re all sitting here and waiting??? I’m sure whatever island he went to would still be there in a month.

3. vicki says:

so that video made my heart hurt.

4. Pseudoyanks says:

Yeah, -45 with the Windchill in Chicago today (yes, Minus 45)…bring on Spring damnit!

5. nsalem says:

This morning I was working with a weather historian

I asked him what the rest of the winter was going to be like and he said

YCPTW Suzyn

6. August Gallo says:

Really u people come on here to talk about the weather and if marajuna is legal in Colorado??
    Let’s talk YANKEES BASEBALL!!! They need Tanaka so bad and wanna c them get Grant Balfour.
    Love Mcann he’s a beast and takes no crap also love Beltran just wish we would’ve gotten him 8 years ago when the shitty Mets signed him

• forensic says:

If we’ve already said variations of that stuff 700 times over the last two months, do we have your permission to talk about other stuff then?

• nsalem says:

Okay August Yankee baseball I went to the first night game of the 2013 season on April 3. I was in the upper deck and the wind chill was in the 20′s. I forgot to bring my gloves and my hands froze. The people sitting next to me were smoking vaporized marijuana. The Sox kicked our asses. Buccholz go the W Kuroda took the loss and Hanrahan got the save. How’s that?

7. Caballo Sin Nombre says:

ARod ruling is coming down any moment now

… NOW

OK…

NOW

OK…

NOW

8. Rocky says:

I simply can’t understand why someone who has made as much money as A-Rod, continues to embarrass himself for more money. How much is enough? He gets booed constantly. His performance since getting off drugs has reduced him to a better than average ball player when he’s at his best. Everybody knows, including himself that he doesn’t measure up to his pay. Personally, I think that if he does not win his grievance, then his best move is to make a monumental gesture by announcing that he is retiring for the best interest of the team, indicating that the money saved would help rebuild the Yankees. I think it would go a long way in restoring his image as a Yankee rather than continue to drain the finances of the team.

• forensic says:

Yeah, it must really suck to be an above average baseball player.

And nothing he does for the rest of his life will change or restore his image to the vast majority of Yankees fans who already hate him.

9. August Gallo says:

AROD will NEVER go quietly and nobody would ever walk away from all that money. If his suspension is upheld the YANKEES will still owe him a ton of money. And as far as his image. It’s his fault he continually throws himself into the spotlight. I no all players go out to concert sir events w their significant others and families but u don’t ALWAYS have to get ur picture taken and posted on the social media sites. Do u think Jeter never goes out?? I’ve seen him at NY Knicks games. He just chooses not to jump onto center court and pose for the world!!

• vicki says:

you people and your pathetic fear of not being well-liked. the rod feeds on your hate.

• forensic says:

lol, absolutely.

• nsalem says:

I’d rather be an A-Rod than a No-Rod

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

This.

Also, more marijuana and cold weather talk, please.

• nsalem says:

Remeber the cold weather series that closed the 85 season. Yankees go into Toronto 3 games out with 3 to play. Win the first game in frigid weather with the great Rod Scurry getting the W in middle relief replacing Whitson who started. We got eliminated on Saturday afternoon and then Niekro pitched on Sunday to get his 300th win. Last time we got that close for a decade. Very dissapointing season. In 1987 Yanks were 51-30 halfway through but we folded up in the second half. A decade to forget.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

The boss rolled in his……oh, wait, he was in charge.

Scurry came over with Rhoden, right?

• nsalem says:

Actually Scurry was purchased in September 1985 from the Pirates. Rhoden was traded from the Pirates to the Yankees after 1986 with Pat Clements and side arming Cecilio Guante for Logan Easley, Fat Brian Fisher and unfortunately Dou Drabek. Scurry passed on a couple of yeas ago, allegedly due some of his issues he had back in the 1980′s.

10. nsalem says:

A-Rod is still my favorite present day player. He is one of the greatest hitters I have ever seen and along with Willie Mays the greatest instinctive player I have watched. I am not an apologist. He has lied and cheated much like many of the people who walk this earth. Unfortunately for him he is in the spotlight all the time and as great as he is at baseball he is terrible at lying and cheating. I’m sure he took steroids and lied about it, but so have hundreds of ther MLB players over the last 25 years. I believe he obstructed the investigations but so did Melky and I think what Braun did was (playing the religon card and the character assasination of the sample collector), I think waht MLB has done is worse and until I see evidence I tend to believe the accusation of A-Rod recruiting other players to PED’s is total BS. I think he will get a 50 game suspension or less. If he can stay healthy, even his decline years will be better than anything the Yankee’s can currently field.

11. forensic says:

Auburn sure is doing their best trying to blow this game, several times…

• forensic says:

And there you go, way to blow the game. And on a related note, their QB sure does seem to suck, no wonder they were essentially a 3-5 loss team this year (non-miracle division).

12. nycsportzfan says:

Anyone think it’d be a good move to check in with Luis Ayala’s agent? Hes pitched well since leaving NY and really has pitched well most of his career. Hes only 36, and dosen’t rely on power to beat batters. Could he be a good player for us to bring back in the fold?

13. nycsportzfan says:

Luis Ayala
    Shawn Kelley
    David Robertson
    David Huff
    Adam Warren
    Matt Thornton

I’d be happy starting the yr off with a pen that looks like this.