Jan

FOX to take majority control of YES Network

As part of the sale agreement made with News Corp. in late 2012, 21st Century FOX is increasing its ownership stake in the YES Network from 49% to 80%, it has been announced. The move is expected to be final by the end of March. News Corp. had the option of increasing its stake within 3-5 years of the original deal, but FOX and News Corp. have since split into two corporations and everyone agreed to accelerate the timetable.

“Clearly, 21st Century Fox is a great partner for us as the YES Network fulfills and expands its potential as one of the nation’s premier regional sports networks,” said Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. “We are gratified that 21st Century Fox has increased their stake and investment in the network. Yankee Global Enterprises is eager to continue working with 21st Century Fox as we explore ways to take YES to even greater heights.”

“Our investment in the YES Network underscores our commitment to growing our global sports portfolio with offerings that are exceptional and unique,” said James Murdoch, COO of FOX. “We look forward to expanding our partnership with Yankee Global Enterprises and to working with the network’s management team to build on the YES Network’s success.”

Yankee Global Enterprises still owns the remaining 20% of YES and they’re getting a boatload of cash through the deal, with annual television revenue jumping from $85M to an estimated $150M. That number is expected to climb to $350M (!) annually within the next 30 years. That money is separate from what amounts to a $420M signing bonus Yankees Global Enterprises will receive from 2013-15 as part of the deal. More details on the original News Corp. deal are here, here, and here.

So what does the deal mean for you? Not much, really. Your cable bill might be a few dollars higher when YES raises the monthly fees it receives from cable providers when their contracts expire, but that is apparently a few years away. The Yankees retain control of Yankees-related programming on YES but FOX will bring some of their own programming to the network. That’s the whole point of the deal. It’s unclear what kind of programming FOX will bring at this time. A Sportscenter-esque nightly news show is reportedly not in the works.

There had been speculation the agreement with News Corp. meant the Steinbrenners were preparing to sell the Yankees, but as Richard Sandomir explained in November 2012, the deal actually makes it more likely they will hold onto the team, mostly because the tax bill would be enormous. Also, the team’s sale value would have been higher without a finalized television agreement — the potential for a huge television deal is worth more than the actual deal itself. Just look at the Dodgers sale.

Categories : NYC Sports Media

1. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

*cue scene where an angry Joe Girardi storms out of YS3 upon realizing that Michael Kay has been usurped as host of “The Joe Girardi Show” by Bill O’Reilly.*

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

So the original deal for the TV rights started at $85M and increased 5% a year for 30 years topping out at $350M, so does this mean that the first year will NOW be $150M and increasing 5% annually?

• kenthadley says:

If that’s true, it should work up to over 600m/year in about 25-30 years. That should be enough to find a third baseman and shortstop in 2040.

• RetroRob says:

I’m pretty sure the Yankees were never the majority owner of YES, even in the earliest day, but were one of the main investors. Off the top of my head, I believe they owned about 34% of YES when the deal with FOX was announced last year, at which time they dropped their percent ownership to approximately 26%. With this new deal, it drops to 20%, a number which was agreed upon at the time of the original deal. The bulk of the purchase taking FOX up to 80% comes from the other investors, I’m assuming mainly Goldman, although there were a couple other partners involved here too. YES is now owned by FOX and YES Global Enterprises, which in turn is the owner of the NY Yankees baseball club.

The NY Yankees baseball team deal with the YES Network lasts until 2042. It was a thirty year deal that paid the NY Yankees baseball team a set but escalating schedule of payments starting at $85MM and culminating in 2042 at approximately $350MM, if memory serves me correct. This is the local TV revenue that is reported to MLB.

If those numbers are correct, it is a massive undersell, one that would cost the Yankees BILLIONS of dollars over the 30 year deal. But, of course, the Steinbrenners did not do that. There is the TV deal between the Yankees ball club and the YES Network. Then there is the business deal between YES Global Enterprises and FOX. We know the dollar specifics of the former; we know almost nothing about the latter.

Lately there have been a few mentions about clubs concerned about “hidden TV revenue”, shielded from revenue sharing. Take one guess about which team they’re talking about.

There is a reason why the president of the Yankees is an attorney.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

This is a 30/$6.3B deal. Not exactly an undersell.

But if this deal now starts at $150M instead of $85M, then we’re talking about starting the new deal at year 13 of the original deal. That’s crazy money.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Because if it does start at $150M, the deal is now worth $9.5B over 30 years

• RetroRob says:

Andy, I’m not really suggesting the Yankees undersold. What I’m alluding to is we really don’t know the true financials of this deal.

I saw the $150MM reference in Mike’s posting, but I don’t know what that’s referring to. It doesn’t say the payment schedule was reset and is starting at $150MM instead of $85MM, although may be there is something about this deal that does reset it. Yet it also says it culminates in 2042 at $350MM, but that’s what was reported last year. So if there was a reset at the front end, it would make sense that there would also be a reset at the backend, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Local TV revenue is subject to a 34% levy. All I’m saying is it is to the Yankees advantage to show what appears to be an acceptable TV deal on the books, and to lock themselves into it for 30 f’ing years, because they’ve structured the deal so that a greater percentage of the TV revenue is going straight to YES Global Enterprises, which can not be taxed by MLB. At the minimum, their 20% ownership in YES means they should be getting 20% of the profits, yet I’m quite sure the business deal with FOX is sending additional yearly money to YES Global Enterprises. Let’s just hope that money is available for use by the NY Yankees baseball team.

3. kenthadley says:

Maybe some of that extra money can find its way into the budget for player development.

4. LuJArnold says:

Will this change their sponsorship/partnership of RAB any?

5. BillyBall15 says:

Could you imagine if MSNBC with there progressive socialist agenda would have purchased YES. It could happen, think about it:

1-Rachael Maddow would host post game shows and blast the Yankees for there capitalistic ways of buying up all top available free agents from the lowly poor teams like the Royals. MSNBC would further push major league baseball to sanction the Yankees with higher penalties such as no draft pick for every dollar they go over the luxury tax.

2-They would force the Yankees to pay an even higher penalty luxury tax to forward thinking progressive groups as a payoff for them allowing each transaction to occur.

3-The Yankees would than have to fire Girardi because he does not represent there brand and they would hire the first female baseball coach. The team would also not be allowed to keep the interlocking NY which represented Police Officers killed in the line of duty way back when and they would not be named the Yankees as that name sounds too barbaric but rather the Progressives.

Twighlight Zone stuff, ayyyyyyyyy.

Enough Politics though, back to beisbol….

Leave the politics for the greedy and corrupt, we got our Yankees and a 28th Championship hunt.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d like to think that, most likely, they’d just report on sports.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

You’re fucking batshit, but, like you said, let’s leave politics out of it.

• Pistol pete says:

Did you ever listen to Fox and Friends and the rest of their”fair and balanced” political reporting. Brains are a curse word at Fox News. They’re 60 plus TV audience sits in barkaloungers all day while ignorant hatred is spewed. Ever wonder why their party has lost 5 of the last 6 general elections. The whole world isn’t over 60 white and pining for the good old days.

• Raylan Givens says:

All 60 year olds?Sounds like you know less about TV ratings than baseball if that’s possible.

• Mr. Roth says:

Forgive my ignorance (I’m not too well versed in TV statistics), but can you explain how the link that you posted proves your point at all?

What I took away from that link was that Fox had 311k viewers from the 25-54 demographic and 2.157 million total viewers. Wouldn’t that mean that the vast majority (1.846 million) of their viewers were either 54+ or younger than 25?

Again, I’m not even going to pretend that I know anything about TV ratings, so forgive me if I’m totally wrong.

• Yankee44 says:

As opposed to the Microsoft National Bias Corp? And it’s actually 4 out of the last 6 elections. Go back a little further, though. Since 1980 it’s fairly even: 4 terms left, 5 terms right.

• Kiko Jones says:

Maddow, I believe, has strong New England allegiances, so there would likely be a pro-Boston bias to her sports reporting.

Other than that, MSNBC is just another corporate media behemoth that probably hasn’t paid their fair share of taxes in decades, if ever. Just like its conservative counterparts.

And now, back to baseball…

6. Chris says:

Is Rupert Murdoch in anyone involved in this Fox/YES deal?

7. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

In all seriousness, not that I care all that much, but is this 20th Century Fox or Newscorp buying the share? I’m confused.

• RetroRob says:

YES Network is now an entity of 21st Century Fox.

For some attempt at clarity, although I may fail, News Corporation split off into two entities last year: 21st Century Fox, focused on broadcasting and media, and News Corp, which focuses on publishing.

YES is part of 21st Century Fox. In the end, Murdoch sits on top of both, but if the names News Corp makes your uncomfortable, well then you can take some relief in knowing News Corp is not the owner of YES!

The split of the two companies occurred after the original deal with YES was announced a year ago, which is why the old stories talk about News Corporation, but the new stories refer to 21st Century Fox.

• RetroRob says:

Small correction — 20th Century Fox, not 21st Century Fox.

I just accidentally rebranded them into the new century!

• RetroRob says:

Correcting my correction after re-reading Mike’s post. I was right the first time. It is 21st Century Fox, which also happens to own 20th Century Fox.

So in my attempt to add clarity I confused myself!

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It is a great Doors song, though.

In the end, no, I’m not a Murdoch fan, but I’m also not naive. We live in a complicated world, and the only way I could fully avoid everything I disagree with would be to live in the jungle somewhere…..until Disney buys that out.

8. Ed says:

Just a guess, but I assume that the Yankees choosing to sell most of YES means that they think the high TV rights valuation is a bubble that’s going to burst soon. They seem to have locked in a good deal, then sold away their control of the network.

If they expected it to continue to grow long term, they would’ve kept ownership. Keeping ownership keeps the money flowing to Yankee Global Enterprises and away from revenue sharing. Doing it this way sends far more money to the Yankees, and exposes it to revenue sharing.

• Cashman has no clothes says:

Disagree here. I don’t think they were able to hide the profits all that well AND they were having to cover operational costs. This way they just take most of the dollars from rights fees, which show no signs of letting up. Remember, live sports is the only multimedia that doesn’t time shift very easily – i.e., people have to watch the commercials if they want the live experience.

They are also getting quite the payoff here – $450M now (over three years) plus $150M every year at a rate increasing faster than inflationary pressures. Plus, they keep 20% ownership as an upside hedge.

The Yankees are doing just fine. By this accounting, they are clearing $700M a year in revenues. Not a a bad business at all…

• pft2 says:

They went from 34%-20%.

9. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I guess we’ll see more ads and promotion for Fox News and Fox Business Network. Yuck.

So long as the overall content doesn’t change.

10. Dc1874 says:

Lookalikes..Rachel Maddow and Mark Texiara!!!! Look it up !!!

11. TWTR says:

Apart from Yankee games, the curent YES programming is pretty bad, so an upgrade would be welcome.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I know Francesa’s show is going off the air.

That could be considered an improvement.

• RetroRob says:

Agreed, unless it’s replaced by the Michael Kay show from ESPN! It does strike me as odd that just as the Yankees switch to WFAN, they end their TV relationship with Francesca on WFAN.

I echo what TWTR says. There is so much more YES could be doing. I’m hoping ownership by a sports media company will lead to a greater variety of programming.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Considering his show is an ESPN radio show, I doubt it.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I must be the only one who finds the Kay/LaGreca banter brainlessly entertaining.

• Farewell Mo says:

They’re pretty bad IMO. I like Mike and Mike, Colin Cowbert and sometimes Lupica isn’t bad. Thank god Stephen A Smith hasn’t been on much lately, at least when I’ve listened. He’s easily the worst

If Kay is talking anything but baseball, he’s awful and the always seem to obsess over some kind of minutia.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Lupica’s probably the worst of the bunch for me. I’ve always run hot and cold with Stephen A. but, if anything, Jay Pharoah’s imitation of him makes me enjoy him more. Strange things come out of Cowherd’s mouth somethings, but I’m a big fan.

• I'm a looser and a trader baby so why don't you kill me? says:

Absolutely abhor Lupica so +100000

As for this fox garbage I’m not optimistic. Can’t remember the last thing they touched (controlled) that I liked. Except maybe Sleepy Hollow.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I doubt anyone will really notice. There’s already a “business”‘ show on YES. I just don’t watch it.

• Mr. Roth says:

You mean you don’t like to watch that awesome running show?

12. TheRealGreg says:

Maybe Joe Buck will be kinder to us now :)

13. Alvaro Espinoza says:

Foxtastic!

14. Nathan says:

I wonder if this money gets rolled back into the team via payroll, development or stadium or if it’s just pocketed by ownership.

15. captainmike says:

Fox is an evil corporation. I do not support them. Murdoch is evil. I don’t read the NY Post cause he owns them.
    I will have to cut back on watching any games that Fox is involved in.

16. Billyballs says:

Some of the comments on this thread are beyond ridiculous. For a group that didn’t want to talk about politics I’m amazed with the negativity towards fox. Only fair and balanced media outlet out there. And please if you feel the need to not watch games because of fox not only are you the extremist as you claim the tea party to be your also being naive to think anyone really gives two shits. I for one would be happier and would suggest you go root for the mets with the wilpons who donate to democrats and keep buying up real estate and get into bed with Bernie madoff and somehow convince everyone they were victims. And Rupert Murdoch and Fox News is your enemy? This is a great day and I welcome fox!

• captainmike says:

your comment is beyond ridiculous

• BillyBall15 says:

Actually your comment Captain Mike was beyond ridiculous, just read what you wrote and please educate us so we may understand what the hell you were thinking?

Like I said, don’t watch Yankee games as you stated so eloquently because of fox, rupert murdoch, and the NY Post, LOL.

• SWAG says:

Don’t worry Billy the country I guess isn’t in enough of a shit hole for these liberal assholes to realize it. That’s alright just continue whistling past the graveyard you liberal Fucks.

Yeah and do everyone a favor and please please don’t watch the Yankees because of Fox. Just continue to sit at home on your ASS and receive your government handouts.

17. BillyBall15 says:

Right on swag, I would say even though we live in a liberal state Im sure a large percentage of hard working blue collar Yankee fans feel the same way we do. And the Steinbrenner’s are also republicans so I assume Captain Mike will have to wear another jersey and root for another team soon. Silly nonsense, this is why Politics should never mix with sports. Unfortunately people like Mike Lupica who loves to attack the the Yankees every chance he gets (as they are the root cause to evil Capitalism) and the trolls who feel that they are entitled to other people hard work earnings will disagree and make sure they post such silly nonsense.

• RetroRob says:

Actually, George was a Democrat, and Ted Kennedy at one point wanted to nominate him to be the head of the DNC.

For the most part, though, George gravitated toward politicians who he thought could help him during his shipping days, so he mingled on both sides of the aisle.

• BillyBall15 says:

Actually Retro Rob,

George was a Republican who had friends on both sides of the aisle but he was never ever a registered democrat. Also I was referring to the Steinbrenner family right now as well as they are also Republicans. George Sr. was also very close with Guiliani. Now this means absolutely nothing as he donated money to snakes such as Charlie Rangel and Chuck Schumer both NY Politicians, but if you look up the Steinbrenner family George was a backer of Republican Presidents from Richard Nixon, Ronald Regan, and his full support for both Bush’s as he consistently donated to Republican Presidential candidates. No smart owner would ever come out and say which party he was affiliated with and we all know he had a good relationship with Kennedy, more like boating and drinking buddy relationship not as political as you may surmise or hope for.

Like I said before, who cares in the big picture, other than the few trolls in here that had to take something funny and making silly political comments such as they would never watch any fox/yes games and tea party nonsense. I find liberals to be so distasteful and with less tolerance and more extremist views than any party. They remind me of the mindset of idiot red sox fans who cannot see past there team and live in that bubble where only they exist and no one else matters.

Just my 2 cents but enough of this fox nonsense and political baloney.

• RetroRob says:

Well, being that I don’t have access to registration files I can’t say for sure which party George was registered with. : -) Ditto for the current Steinbrenners.

That said, it has been reported George did consider himself a Kennedy Democrat, although that might have been an earlier version of the Kennedy’s and an earlier version of George. Yet, he was also tied with Ted Kennedy as the two were friendly. Not surprising, just as his ties to Guiliani are not surprising either. People of power have a tendency to make political donations based less on ideology but more on personal friendships and pragmatism.

One report said in the last couple of decades approximately 45% of his reported donations went to Dems while 45% went to Repubs. Another, report (below) however, suggested a higher percentage went to Democrats. He supported Republican candidates for president, yet he supported Democrats in the House.

He had almost no connection to Reagan, and indeed was surprised when he was issued a pardon.

Of course, I’ve written quite a few words on this topic even though I really don’t care what he was, although I do find the assumption of what he was interesting. I think people assume George was a Republican because of his connection to Nixon and he was wealthy. The record, however, is certainly muddy.

18. Kiko Jones says:

Well, that went well.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I know that, when I want to have a serious political discussion, there’s no better place to do it than with random screen names on RAB

• I'm a looser and a trader baby so why don't you kill me? says:

This too shall pass. If not, we can convene elsewhere.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Oh, it doesn’t bother me in the least. It’s actually pretty amusing.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

The best part is that the one who started us down this rabbit hole is the one bitching the loudest that some don’t agree with him. Oh, and that he finished his first comment with, “let’s not talk about politics,” after doing just that.

• Billyball15 says:

Macho Girl

My first posting was a joke, please Re read the post, it was a joke! It was suppose to be funny, knocking the political spectrum (MSNBC, FOX NEWS, CNN) but evidently you took offense with it and cursed me out so now I think your a moran, plain and simple!

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Sorry, but it just didn’t come off as a joke. Looking at it again, yea, maybe, since you said “back to beisbol.”

I do find this post extremely funny, however, since “now I think your a moran.”

Now that’s comedy!

• Billyball15 says:

so now you admit it may have been a joke but instead of apologizing you attack me again.

It’s easy to say I’m sorry, I was wrong!

I’m sure your use to that in your everyday life.

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Yes, it may have been a joke. I still don’t think it was.

And I didn’t attack you again. I pointed out your obvious spelling/grammar errors, which are used frequently on this site and mocked accordingly, so I assumed that was intentional. And that was funny.

• billyball15 says:

What are you talking about?

Give it a rest already imbecile.

Obvious spelling/grammar errors?

You really are an idiot.

• jjyank says:

…says the guy who’s ranting politics like a madman, generalizing and entire ideology incorrectly, and name-calling like a twelve year old.

Stay in school, buddy.

• DJ2NYY says:

May I interject and say I think Randy Macho Man is being the aggressor as it appears that he didn’t like the joke and took it a step too far. Just my 2 cents. And as far as the grammar errors, I reviewed all of the postings and it does appear jjyank has an obvious grammatical error so perhaps he should be the last to interject so before you throw out comments in school you should have your mommy proof read your postings.

• jjyank says:

Changing your screen name to defend yourself doesn’t actually help.

19. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’m thankful we were able to solve all the world’s problems here.

20. Cashman has no clothes says:

Why were we worried about a budget?

21. Kiko Jones says:

Shut it, morans!
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

22. Family Guy says:

55,000 yankee fans have spoken

“Though their team’s fiercest rivals were in town, Yankees fans’ loudest boos last night were not for the Red Sox but for Vice President Dick Cheney. Cheney watched the game with New York Gov. George Pataki (R) and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) and when his image was shown on the scoreboard during the 7th inning’s singing of God Bless America, fans stopped singing and booed loudly. Cheney’s picture was quickly taken off the screen.” ~ June 30, 2004

I don’t care about Fox News one way or another, but just based on statistics, how can you expect them to go well when only 14.92% of Manhattan voted for their ticket? Hell, even the Red Sox got a better reception.

23. billyball15 says:

And the point is?

• Family Guy says:

point is some commentators are surprised and angry that Fox News isn’t getting a warm welcome among yankee readers, but given voting stats and who they boo at actual games [http://www.dcjunkies.com/showthread.php?1903-Giuliani-Booed-at-Yankee-s-Game] they shouldn’t be surprised at the flack.

I like Fox TV. They’ve done great work with The Simpsons, Family Guy, House, Arrested Development, X-Files, Sons of Anarchy, It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc., etc. I’m sure Homer would get a standing ovation at Yankee stadium.

24. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I haven’t had this much fun since the Lifetime network bought stock in NESN.

25. billyball15 says:

If they put up a picture of the current president at Yankee stadium I guarantee fans will boo. They good Guiliani after they gave him the loudest applause after 911. Bush got one of the biggest applauses after 911 so I guess Yankee fans are Republicans, LOL? It is completely irrelevant and will not hurt the ratings one bit, trust me. And to generalize by stating 14% of Manhattanites voted for Republican ticket therefore the 85% that didn’t are possibly the hard core Yankee fan base is complete nonsense. If that is what you were reaching for which Im sure you weren’t cause you seem to be smarter than that, than I guess you came up with a theory based on no facts to support it in anyway but it made everyone that much smarter so its all good.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

For the love of God, shut the fuck up already. No one cares here what each other’s political leanings are. This is about being a fan of the New York Yankees.

26. Grit for Brains says:

Not going to get into the political stuff here and now as many have done….just not worth it but this is great news for the Yankees. Having a group run the operations of YES who clearly knows what they are doing when it comes to running a television channel should mean more revenue which we can only hope means a better team and more newsbombs like the one we got last week.

27. billyball15 says:

Jorge,

It’s not about political leanings if you read back on the posts so no need to be a jackass. This is about a few silly comments on here that the YeES ratings will dip because of Fox which I excused as being a silly political argument and that is my point. Some people on here including yourself showed your cards by attacking instead of reading the message which was this should have nothing to do with politics as the last post (Grit for Brains) perfectly explained and more to do with a big media mogul purchasing YES and possibly turning it into a better product (another ESPN).

So we need not worry about O’Reilly hosting post game reactions to the latest Yankee win.

This is not political!

I made a political joke which struck a few nerves which only you may know why you needed to follow with a comment about right wing whatever.

So lets please get back to Yankee Baseball now.

28. billyball15 says:

Jorge,

BTW
    I apologize, you weren’t the idiot that made the silly comment about fox so that wasn’t intended to you.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Accepted, and thanks for doing that. I’ve joked around mostly here. While I’m certainly one of those New York liberals you’re not fond of, we live in a complex world and I fully realize that. It’s beyond time to let this all go, though, and get back to being what unites everyone here.

29. Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

Let’s just officially declare this thread dead.

Maybe in the future if anyone is going to make a political “joke,” it should be prefaced with a :) or a blatant, “BTW, this is a joke” closing comment.

Or, probably better yet, let’s just avoid politics.

Until then, it’s The List for you.

• billyball15 says:

Randy,

I never apologized to you because I feel you didn’t deserve any apology, in fact I am awaiting my apology.
      As far as making a joke, get over it, if it hurt you, get over it. It wasn’t malicious, it wasn’t even a knock onb liberals, conservatives, or any political group for that matter.

So as far as Im concerned Ill await your apology for name calling.

Until than, it’s THE LIST FOR YOU!

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

I didn’t ask for an apology, nor do I expect one. If you’re so offended that I called you “batshit,” then, fine, I’m sorry. But, like you said, GET OVER IT.

And you don’t even know what the fuck I’m talking about, so let’s just go our separate ways.

30. Kiko Jones says:

And what is that, exactly, Jorge?
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I mean, there’s 189 million things we argue about: we can’t agree on A-Rod, Cashman, Girardi, the Steinbrenners…and by the comments some people leave here I doubt they even follow the Yankees!

Ha!

31. AC23 says:

Post Game Show: Robertson blows save – thanks a lot Obama.