Jan

Yankees release Vernon Wells

As expected, the Yankees have officially released outfielder Vernon Wells. He was designated for assignment last week to clear a 40-man roster spot for Matt Thornton. No team claimed Wells and his massive salary off waivers (unsurprisingly), so any club can now sign him for the pro-rated portion of the league minimum. The Yankees still owe him $2.4M minus whatever his next team pays him.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Greg C says:

$2.4 million – 0 =

2. qwerty says:

14 million well spent.

3. Farewell Mo says:

$14 million for -0.8 WAR?

Cashman Failed for real

4. JMK says:

May this day be celebrated for generations to come.

5. vicki says:

vaya con dios, vern. we’ll always have april.

6. TWTR says:

Wells’ career fell off of a cliff faster than Wile E. Coyote.

7. Darren says:

I’m genuinely shocked Cashman was unable to extract even a Single A prospect for Wells.

• lightSABR says:

If they’re having trouble moving Ichiro for salary relief – who in heaven’s name thought it was a good idea to sign him for two years? – then the inability to unload Wells is less surprising.

• I'm One says:

I’m not. It was clear that the Yankees would release him, so why would anyone offer anything? I do believe someone will take a shot at him for league minimum, but I doubt he’ll last the entire season. He look to be toast, and if I ran a team (scary thought), I’d rather give a shot to a AAAA player than keep Wells around, even at league minimum.

• Darren says:

I figured if the Yankees offered to eat his entire salary (other than the minimum, which I believe the team he plays for would have to pay him), he’d be worth a very low level prospect to a team that’s very thin on outfield options & could use a platoon bench player. I guess his stock really is totally devalued now. Wow. I mean, he was a superstar for a minute.

• Havok9120 says:

The offer you outlined is exactly what any team can get for him right now without giving up a player. We’ve been talking about the Yankees’ roster crunch for months; I doubt we’re the only ones who noticed Wells was going to have to be released at some point.

8. gageagainstthemachine says:

As bad as he was on the field, he was a classy dude to have in pinstripes. Too bad the game didn’t fit the clubhouse credentials. I won’t speak ill of him, but I’m glad he won’t be making any more PAs in the pinstripes. Best of luck in life Vernon.