Feb

King: Soriano considering retirement after 2014

Via George King: Alfonso Soriano is considering retiring following the 2014 season. He is only 12 steals away from becoming the fifth player in history with 400+ doubles, 400+ homers, and 300+ steals. “It depends on how I feel,” he said. “If I am healthy I will play [in 2015]. If not, I will let it go. It depends how I feel.”

Soriano, who turned 39 last month, has been one of the most durable players in baseball these last few years, missing only 18 games due to injury since 2010. He is up there in age though, and that alone brings injury concerns. Soriano will spend the year splitting time between the outfield and DH and it is way too early to know if the Yankees are even considering re-signing him after the season, when the mammoth contract he originally signed with the Cubs finally expires.

Categories : Asides

1. The Great Gonzo says:

If he has a productive year, I could see him coming back on a bench/DH ‘Ibanez/Thames’ role in 2015…

I can dig it.

2. Andrew says:

Would be some poetry to he and Jeter ending their careers at the same time. Their DP/top of the lineup combination in the early 2000s was fun to watch. Hopefully he leaves NYY with another 30 HRs and walks away on top.

3. jsbrendog says:

always loved fonsi.

hope he has a mammoth year and walks away like a bawse

4. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I will there on Alphonso Soriano Day.

5. TWTR says:

If his HR vs. the D’Backs in Game 7 of the WS had held up, his career might be viewed quite differently, but they probably won’t need him after this year

6. Eddard says:

And he should get a heroes goodbye. Wish they never would have traded him away for A-Rod. We certainly would be in a lot better shape right now.

7. BamBamMusings says:

Not Now Fonzy! Lets send Jeter off first.

#DerekJeter is the #FaceOfMLB http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2014/faceofmlb/
    Get out the vote!

8. Steve_Balboni says:

Retiring after a World Series win would be perfect.

9. qwerty says:

If Soriano retires after this season with 430+ homers then it begs the question: is Soriano a hall of famer? When you compare his numbers with Andre Dawson they’re not all that different. Dawson spent 7 seasons in center, and Soriano spent 5 seasons at second base. Perhaps it helps that Dawson was a GG, but both started their careers at positions you don’t expect offense at. If I’m Soriano, I play for at least 2 additional seasons after this one, especially if he’s as production this year as he was last.

• Preston says:

Well, Dawson is often cited by small HOF guys as somebody who doesn’t belong. Yes their batting lines are similar, as well as some of their counting stats, but Dawson played in 700 more career games, which leads to an almost 20 WAR gap (not that WAR is an end all be all especially when talking about HOF voters) and Dawson didn’t get in until his 9th time on the Ballot. Considering the current logjam on the ballot, I just don’t see anyway that Soriano gets in.

• KeithK says:

But Dawson won a completely undeserved MVP title because he had lots of RBIs.

No way that Soriano is a HoFer. His stats don’t look all that good in context of the era. Or rather, they look good but not great.

10. Jim Cavanaugh says:

I hope he has another great year and sticks around. One of my favorite Yankees. Way too often remembered for 2003 post season struggles and not for what should have been the series clinching win in 2001.

11. Kyle says:

Isn’t Soriano only 38? Feels like he just came up from the farm yesterday!