Feb

Open Thread: 2/22 Camp Notes

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

For the first time this year, the weather didn’t cooperate. It rained in Tampa this morning so most of the day’s workouts took place indoors. Such is life. Here’s the latest from Tampa.

• As usual, Chad Jennings has the day’s workout groups. David Phelps threw a simulated game while Matt Thornton and Shawn Kelley threw live batting practice. Vidal Nuno, Adam Warren, and David Robertson threw bullpen sessions. Kelly Johnson worked out at second and third bases but not first.
  • Tyler Austin‘s wrist is bothering him again. He dealt with a bone bruise most of last season. Austin said it started acting up a few days ago, but when it didn’t go away, he told the team. He hopes to only miss a few days but who knows. [Chad Jennings]
  • Alfonso Soriano (flu) is still being held out of workouts and will be re-evaluated on Monday. Nik Turley‘s arm was “a little tight” and he was shut down for the day. Jim Miller has “slight irritation” in his calf and will be re-evaluated Monday. [Dan Barbarisi, Jennings]
  • And finally, today was photo day. You can scroll through all the shots right here, though they might not all be uploaded yet.

Here is your nightly open thread. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, plus the Olympics are still going on. I’m sure there’s college basketball on somewhere as well. Talk about anything and everything here. Have at it.

1. RetroRob says:

Austin’s wrist is a bit concerning since it happened last year, in the AFL, now ST. Yet, he’s been batting for a month, so hopefully he’s back shortly. But, yeah, unfortunately “who knows” sums it up well.

2. vicki says:

get the rain over with now. eleven days til my tampa splashdown.

• rick says:

I will be in Tampa at the same time … going to any games?

• vicki says:

7th, 9th,12th and 14th at legends (i know, i know; it’ll always be legends field to me). i also have a ride to clearwater for the split squad @ the phils on the 13th (one of my favorite complexes down there). may hit sarasota on the 15th for @ the o’s (flight home that night), or the first @ philly on the 6th, if i can get a ride.

you?

• Rick says:

My family has a home in Clearwater Beach, so I’ll be at the Philly game at the 6th and the game against Detroit in Tampa on the 7th. I’ll be gone by the 10th. You have a nice little trip planned there! Dedication going to that many games. I did that a couple years ago, but went to a lot of road games and felt like I was in the car forever.

• vicki says:

road games are much more fun, sad to say.

i don’t know where my seat is for that friday night yet; i’m doing the insider experience thing pre-game. i’ll tell you when they tell me, and we’ll have a beer.

• Rick says:

Road games definitely are more fun, but they can be a long hike.

Definitely let me know. Beers on me … figuratively anyway. This was about the time of spring break back in the day, right?

3. b-rar says:

David Phelps is a dead ringer for a young John Malkovich.

4. Randy says:

Lol Ichiro’s photo is pretty funny. He looks like he is staring at a hot girl.

5. dkidd says:

pineda is scary looking

i like it

6. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Tyler Austin is killing me.

Never had the pedigree of Heathcott or the tools of Williams, but still managed to make himself heard.

WHY ISN’T MY GOOD WILL MAKING YOU HEALTHY?!

7. rick says:

Would anyone have preferred Cruz on 1/8 than Beltran on 3/45? I get that Beltran is the superior player and there are PED concerns with Cruz, but if both are playing well, I think I might prefer Cruz with those numbers.

• whozat says:

I think the odds of Cruz playing well are sufficiently low that no, I wouldn’t. It’s not about PEDs, it’s about an outlier year performance-wise at age 35. It doesn’t seem likely that he’ll produce at that level again, so I figure the 8MM would get the team about 1 win, which doesn’t seem like a good use of the roster spot.

• ALZ says:

No. Cruz really isn’t a good hitter. Beltran is someone you can put in the 3 spot, Cruz isn’t someone I would give that many ab.

• Gonzo says:

For 2014, I think I’d rather have Beltran when just comparing their 2014 salaries. I do think having money off the books for 2015 and 2016 is very valuable when considering that Beltran might start losing playing time due to age and decline. Beltran will be in his age 38 and 39 seasons those years.

I guess it depends on a lot of things and your personal preferences, but I could see the argument that Cruz at 1/$8mm is the better deal.

8. gageagainstthemachine says:

Nunez looks like he’s not quite sure he’s actually still on the team. Also, looking at Betances I am glad I never have to stand in the batter’s box facing him. Beastances. Let’s hope he rocks the BP this season.

9. Kevin G. says:

Apparently the Yankees are the favorite to sign Diaz

10. Brendan says:

I saw on twitter that the Yankees are the favorites for Aledmys Diaz, hopefully they land him.

11. Pasqua says:

Hey, we signed Andrew Bailey! If (and, yes, the biggest “IF” imaginable) he is healthy…oh, that could be very, very helpful.

12. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

Idiot Boeheim. Way to freak out and cost your team the game.