Feb

Saturday Links: Sizemore, Sabathia, Prospects

(Presswire)

(Presswire)

This is the last baseball-less Saturday until sometime in November. The Yankees open their exhibition schedule against Florida State on Tuesday, then they begin Grapefruit League play against the Pirates the following day. Here are some stray links and notes as we gear up for real, live baseball.

Sizemore’s Opt-Out Dates

According to Chad Jennings, infielder Scott Sizemore has two opt-out dates in his minor league contract: May 1st and August 1st. I assume he has to be added to the 25-man active roster on those dates, not just the 40-man roster. That’s usually how these things work.

Sizemore, 29, has played in only two games over the last two years due to back-to-back torn left ACLs. He is competing for the final bench spot in camp and I get the sense he might have a leg up on guys like Eduardo Nunez and Dean Anna. That’s just a hunch though. If Sizemore doesn’t make the team, the Yankees will have about a month of Triple-A time to evaluate him before his first opt-out comes into play.

Sabathia’s Biomechanics

Following his disastrous 2013 season, CC Sabathia spent part of the winter at Dr. James Andrews’ institute in Alabama having his mechanics analyzed, report Jennings and Bryan Hoch. It’s a biomechanical analysis, so they strap a bunch of sensors to him and the data is recorded electronically. Sabathia had the same thing done following the 2003 season and the analysis showed there has been little change in his delivery over the years.

“It was brought up, and I thought it was a great idea, because I knew they had the data,” said Sabathia. “It’s the same as it was ten years ago. Pretty much, except the rotation in my hips. You get old. You get bad hips when you get old, right?”

Sabathia said he changed his arm angle in 2012 to compensate for the bone spur in his elbow, but apparently things were back to normal last year. The bone spur was surgically removed last winter. “I think they talked a lot about my arm angle and stuff like that, but it’s been the same … But where I was at last year is where I should be,” he said. With his mechanics looking good, Sabathia focused on adding strength this winter.

“I feel good. I feel strong. I don’t feel any fatigue or anything like that,” he said after throwing to hitters yesterday. “It’s just strength,. I’ve been doing a lot of long toss this year, and like I said, I threw all offseason. I’m ahead of where I was last spring, maybe even the spring before, just from all the work I’ve been doing. I’m encouraged by the way I feel. My arm angle seems to be good, getting the ball out. My arm just needs to catch up with the rest of my body.”

Baseball America’s Top Prospects By Position

Baseball America published their list of the top 100 prospects in baseball last week, a list that included only two Yankees: RHP Masahiro Tanaka (#4) and C Gary Sanchez (#35). I don’t consider Tanaka a prospect given his lengthy career in Japan, but whatever. It’s their list and they can do whatever they want.

Following the top 100 list, Baseball America published lists of the best prospects by position. Here’s the index and here are the Yankees’ farmhands who made the cut:

Sanchez is second to only Austin Hedges of the Padres (an elite defender with a promising bat) behind the plate, which surprised me. I guess they love the bat enough to overlook his long-term defensive concerns. Other than that, the Yankees don’t have many guys near the top of the various positional rankings (again, Tanaka doesn’t count in my opinion) and that’s why their system ranks among the bottom half fo the league.

Categories : Links

1. Dick M says:

Regarding the dearth of prospects, no worries. We’ll spend our way out out of it.

2. TWTR says:

I am very optimistic about CC. (From the reports I have seen, Montero should hire his trainer like yesterday.)

With McCann around, Sanchez has a long time to refine his catching skills, and he can always play some 1B, which may be a position of need fairly soon, as Tex may be in an inalterable decline.

3. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

We should use this metric from now on when discussing the farm system. It just sounds better.

Team Sizemore revolts on 5/2 if we don’t get our way. May Day Part Deux, bitches.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Team Sizemore will have nothing to worry about, because Team Sizemore will get their way and Scott Sizemore will make the 25 man out of spring training. I still stand by my belief that Roberts will either get hurt or be ineffective and Sizemore will get a chance to start because of it and shine.

4. CONservative governMENt says:

Without Tanaka our RHP would have been a blank, but otherwise I’m pleasantly surprised we have someone at every spot. DePaula, Campos, Hensley could get there and I still believe this is a bounceback year for the farm.

Maybe last year’s injuries will focus some of these guys so that they don’t take anything for granted and work even harder. We need Gumbs to make it for Girardi’s nicknaming.

• whozat says:

Gumby? Gumbo?

• viridiana says:

The expanded rankings by position actually make Yankee system look a lot better than suggested by BA 100.
      If my arithmetic is correct, there are 260 position players who get ranking. looks like SS is not included — so let’s say another 25 for 285. Yanks have nine among these 285 (ten, I think, counting Tanaka). So while they are under-represented among top 100 they are at least slightly above average in next 185. And since so many of top prospects were hurt last year there is, as many others have said, vast potential for improvement. Good for example to see a guy like Bird show up just off top 10 at 1B. And kids like Jusge and Clarkin are ranked despite basically never having played.

5. Jedile says:

I am really excited about all of this Sabathia news, I feel like this year will be one of the best of his careers. I just think losing all that weight and then replacing it with muscle is good.

I’m calling it now Sabathia wins cy young!

• Preston says:

I feel pretty optimistic about him as well. Our rotation starts looking like one of the best in the league if CC returns to form.

6. Judge Aaron says:

Apparently Montero is 40lbs overweight………..I’m starting to think Yankee prospects are a bit overrated

• Jedile says:

*sunglasses off* I think you meant to say that Yankee prospects are a bit overweighted…

• TWTR says:

Let’s say they are, although I don’t think so. That still presents an opportunity if you make smart well-timed trades.

• Because of something he did completely on his own 2 years after leaving the organization?

• Havok9120 says:

The logic is irrefutable.

• radnom says:

There was talk of attitude problems when he was in the Yankee system (not that you could mention it here). And I’m sure Aaron is weighing the entire two years since the trade and not just that one incident.

Still, I don’t agree with the conclusion that Montero was over-hyped because he was a Yankee. He is looking like a legitimate bust. It happens all the time, Smoak and LaPorta seemed sure to hit as well.

• MartinRanger says:

at this point I’m pretty sure it can be said that the Mariners ruin every hitting prospect they touch.

Mike Zunino is next, poor kid.

• The Great Gonzo says:

THIS. It seems to have a lot more with what Seattle does to their hitters than the prospects that the Yankees happen to draft/sign.

And, FWIW, this is not limited to their prospects (Chone Figgens says hi).

• CS Yankee says:

Hi Chone, how does it feel to be the 25th guy on the LAD?…oh, that’s not a lock, my bad.

However, they did have a great bat with Beltre who mashed as a Dodger, BoSox and a Ranger…everywhere except Seattle.

Figgins was an over-achiever that came back down to earth, never a solid bat, similar to Andrus, IMO.

• RetroRob says:

Prospect ratings don’t come from the Yankees, and unlike other teams, that don’t really lobby for their prospects. So basically it would have to be a conspiracy amongst talent evaluators to overrate the Yankees prospects.

In reality, prospects have a high fail rate among all teams.

7. Fred says:

Orioles sign Nelson Cruz, Ubaldo.
    Still in on Morales, Ervin Santana.

These guys have now become a threat.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Meh. Their line-up is Adam Jones, Cruz, and some league average bats like Markakis & Machado, and over hyped guys (offensively anyway) in Hardy and Wieters. Meanwhile unless they sign Santana their number 2 is Bud Norris or Miguel Gonzalez. They’re more top heavy than the Yankees, and their top is a lot smaller.

• Mr. Roth says:

You forgot Chris Davis and his 167 wRC+ from last year.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Woops. I did forget him. I think my point still stands that they’re a very top heavy team at the moment. They have a good 2-3-4 (Jones,Davis,Cruz) and a good number 1 if Ubaldo can be good Ubaldo. If they sign Santana and Morales, then yeah, I’ll be a little scared of them. As of now though? Eh. Looks like a 3rd or 4th place team to me.

• MartinRanger says:

I’ll be stunned if he can sustain that batting average with his history of strikeouts. The power is real, and he’s got some patience, but I doubt he’ll be MVP caliber next year.

Still, credit where it’s due – they got a bargain for Cruz. It makes me feel a bit worse about the Beltran contract, but that’s the risk you take signing guys early.

• Chris H says:

I don’t think it’s a bargain, if anything it’s exactly where the market rates him. If you believe a win is worth 5 million, which is roughly how teams view it, then 8 million for a one deminsional 2 win player is on the nose.

• Preston says:

This is a good pickup for them. I would rather have their lineup now. But that rotation is god awful.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Really?

CF Ellsbury – LF Markakis
          SS Jeter – 3B Machado
          RF Beltran – 1B Davis
          1B Teixeira – CF Jones
          DH Soriano – RF Cruz
          C McCann – C Wieters
          3B Johnson – SS Hardy
          2B Roberts – DH Riemold
          LF Gardner – 2B Weeks

I personally think the Yankees are better, not by a lot, but definitely better.

• MartinRanger says:

IF Jeter and Teix stay healthy, I’m with you. But if they don’t, I can’t see it. Of course, the Orioles could get hit with the injury bug, but that’s a risk every team runs.

• The Yankees are better at all OF spots, and easily better at DH and Catcher. And we have a much better pitching staff than they do. I really don’t see this Cruz signing as doing all that much more than moving the Blue Jays all that closer to a 21st straight season w/ no playoffs.

• Preston says:

These are their 2014 WAR projections.

Wieters- Steamer 3.1 – Oliver 3.0

Johnson- Steamer 1.3 – Oliver 1.1
            Beltran- Steamer 2.0 – Oliver 2.4
            Ellsbury- Steamer 4.0 – Oliver 3.8
            Gardner- Steamer 2.0 – Oliver 3.5
            Soriano- Steamer -.1 – Oliver 1.5
            Total- Steamer 16.1 – Oliver 19.6

So projections seem to like the Orioles better. It’s interesting because my feeling was that these two lineups were comparable before the signing and that Cruz was putting them over the top. The projections back that up to a degree. Obviously there are some projections here I disagree with. I think that Steamer’s Soriano and Gardner projections are kind of whacky, I think Kelly Johnson is going to do better than that. I hope Jeter and Teixeira can do better, but those projections are reasonable. Obviously I’m moving the goal posts here because WAR accounts for defense which probably favors the Orioles. There are also playing time issues with the projections that I’m not accounting for, I’m just kind of assuming replacement level play for all the other ABs. Obviously I think our pitching staff separates us by enough to be better than them, even if they signed Santana I think we’d still have the better team. But if they signed Santana and Morales, then I’d start to think of them as real contenders.

• MartinRanger says:

That’s an awfully optimistic projection for Machado, considering he’s shown quite poor plate discipline in his admittedly limited big league career.

The other thing is that we already know the Yankees are in trouble if they can’t get bounceback years from Jeter and Teixeira and Sabathia. They team doesn’t have enough depth to cover up bad years from them.

• JGYank says:

Have you seen him play defense? He was probably the one of top 2 or 3 defenders in the league if you believe in defensive metrics. The eye test agrees. His bat has been average but he should only improve.

• Preston says:

Yeah, I think the Machado projections seem light, he was worth 6.2 WAR as a 20 yo. Unless you think the knee is really going to be a problem. I think that he’s pretty safe bet to be worth greater than 2.9 WAR.

• JGYank says:

Agreed. He can be great if his knee is healthy and his improves his hitting.

The lineups are close but we definitely have the pitching advantage.

Johnson will start at 3rd and not Nunez and I would put Pineda as the 5th starter but this helps compare.

• Preston says:

Yeah, the pitching gap is large. I think CC, Tanaka and Kuroda are all better than Ubaldo. Even Nova might be. The rest of the rotation is completely uninteresting. They basically need Ubaldo to pitch like 2011 through the first half of 2013 didn’t happen, Guassman to turn into a top line pitcher and Bundy to recover from TJS and get MLB ready real quick in order to have a good staff.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

I’m not sure I can lend much credibility to anyone that projects Brian Roberts having a better WAR than Soriano…

I’m with you on that one.

• Preston says:

There isn’t that much difference in how each system is projecting his offense. They both are pegging him for around league average. For whatever reason Steamer is giving him a huge negative on defense.

• Mr. Roth says:

You’re forgetting the Yankees secret weapon….Scott Sizemore.

Oliver has him projected to be a 3.3 WAR player this year, play in 143 games, and hit 16 HRs.

• Chris H says:

They’ve already said Cruz is the DH which means Lough is probably starting in LF against RHP.

• Their pitching is still not very good, especially if Ubaldo pitches like he did from 2011-2012. And their bullpen is a mess.

• JGYank says:

The east is going to be a real problem this year. Baltimore improved with these last two signings (and got Cruz on a great deal) and will score a good amount of runs even if Davis regresses and I don’t think they are far behind the Yanks. Lineups are close, Yanks have the better rotation. How is their pen? The Jays are probably the best last place team in MLB with Encarnacion, Bautista, Morrow, Reyes, Rasmus, Lind, Janssen Lawrie and others. Still have pitching issues, but they won’t be a complete pushover. The RS and Rays are going to compete and give us trouble as usual while both winning around 90 games or a little more.

The Jays should finish 5th with maybe 70-74 wins, Os might be around .500 maybe a little over and the Yanks Rays and RS battle it out for postseason spots. I think this is easily the best division in baseball with 4 possible winning teams and the Jays. The AL west is probably the 2nd toughest followed by the NL central, AL central, NL east, and NL west or something like that. The Dodgers are pretty much as close to a lock as you can get with that weak division.

• MartinRanger says:

also I’d be stunned to see Angelos open his wallet for both of them. Santana will still require a multi-year contract.

8. Hawkeye says:

Why is Dean Anna discounted as a prospect? Is it just age or defense or what? It seems to me that anyone that is near the top of a AAA league in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS should at least be given a chance. I realize that the PCL is a hitters league, but he must have out preformed a number of top 100 players. His numbers that last 2 years have been as good or better than Kolten Wong who is being handed the 2nd base job of a team that is NL champs, even though he did not do very well in his short MLB time last year.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think a lot of it has to do with age and lack of tools. I’m not saying he cannot be good, I’m not a scout, but I am saying it seems that he lacks a lot of the things scouts look for when it comes to transitioning to the big leagues. Here’s hoping they’re wrong about Anna and Sizemore can revert back to his 2011 self. Then all of a sudden the Yankees greatest weakness is league average all around at least.

• Preston says:

It’s all of those things. He is an older guy, he isn’t considered a good defender or baserunner, and people discount PCL stats. As for Wong, he is four years younger which is a big deal, he hit .306/.369/.466 at AAA at the same age that Anna hit .271/.381/.431 at low A, while repeating the level. Wong is considered the better defender and brings extra value on the base paths (20/21 on SB attempts at AAA last sesaon) Anna doesn’t (3/10 on SB attempts at AAA last season). They just aren’t comparable as prospects and the Cardinals aren’t handing him the job, they signed Mark Ellis to compete with him. I think Anna is intriguing and a good pick-up by the Yankees.

9. Dicka24 says:

The Orioles signings really suck for the Yankees. It makes the division that much harder, which potentially means fewer wins for the Wild Card chase. I’d have much rather seen those players sign outside the AL East.

The Orioles line-up is darn good. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise. They have good bats up and down the line-up. Good power certainly, and if he could ever stay healthy, Reimold is a sneaky good hitter.

These prospect lists make me laugh sometimes. I really get a kick out of how they tend to place 1st rounders who’ve never taken a pro swing, at the top of teams lists. Aaron Judge may have some promising skills, but he didn’t play a pro game last year. Did they put Cito Culver up inside the Yankees top 5 the year he was drafted? don’t get me wrong, I hope Judge, etc. are all studs, but that always sticks out to me when I see it happen.

• MartinRanger says:

Reimold is as good a bet to stay healthy as Brian Roberts, to be honest.

They have a good lineup, but that pitching stuff is still really bad, and Ubaldo is inevitably going to settle in somewhere between his early Cleveland years and last year. and he’s moving to a tougher ballpark in a tougher division.

I’m not that worried about the Orioles, even now. If they add Morales, maybe a bit more. I don’t think Santana is all that good.

It’s about the Rays for me. And the Red Sox, because there is no way in hell they stay as injury free and projection-exceeding as they did last year.

• JGYank says:

The Os probably won’t finish ahead of us, but it makes the division as a whole brutal. Could have 4 winning teams. That happened in 08 too. The Rays scare me with their pitching, and I think the RS will regress but nothing drastic. They get Peavy for a full year and Buchholz is back after he had injuries last year so their pitching should be good again. Uehara won’t repeat his performance though. They lost Ells, Salty, and probably Drew and I’m waiting for Ortiz and Victorino to decline any minute now. Middlebrooks shouldn’t be as bad as last year, Bradley will a downgrade in CF, Pierzynski isn’t good, and Bogaerts fills in for Drew. Should be worse offensively but they don’t have any major holes or anything like that. They scored so much last year they could afford to regress offensively anyway.

Sounds like a 3 team race to me.

10. Preston says:

I don’t look at that BA position breakdown and see it as a negative for our farm system. We have a position player in the top 25 at every position except SS, which we make up for by having two at each at the other up the middle positions. That’s not bad. The problem with top 100 lists is that you’re comparing people across positions and across leagues and making arbitrary cut-offs. In a list like this you’re cutting down on some of that ambiguity by comparing guys to their positional peers. These lists aren’t set in stone and after the bad year we had it’s nice to see that our prospects are still on the radar even if they didn’t make a top 100. In CF Slade Heathcott and Mason Williams are completely comparable in talent to guys higher on the list, they just had down years, but could move up quickly with bounce back seasons. If Greg Bird posts another season like last year I think it’s going to be hard for him not to be at or near the top of that list. Recent draftees Jagielo, Judge and Katoh could also quickly rise on their respective lists. Honestly the most disappointing thing about this to me is the pitching. It’s tough to see that none of Jose Ramirez, Rafael Depaula, Luis Severino or Ty Hensly could crack the top 65 RHP list, but I also think all of them could get on that list next season. On the LHP side if Clarkin pitches well he’ll also be a fast riser, and if Manny Banuelos is healthy it’s hard to see how he wouldn’t make a list like this.

11. Now Batting says:

Tyler Austin’s wrist is bothering him again. Could be it for him.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Let’s not shoot him in the leg just yet there.

• Preston says:

Definitely. Guys 22, he’s got plenty of time to work it out. And I’m definitely not going to bet against a guy who had to go through having testicular cancer at 17 coming back from a wrist problem. I’m actually surprised that he didn’t make the corner OF list.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I understand being concerned that this becomes a chronic issue, but “could be it for him” is a bit premature when he was feeling fine a couple of days ago.

• RetroRob says:

It is concerning to some degree because it keeps popping up and probably impacted his performance last year. Yet, he’s been down in Tampa batting for over a month, so it’s not as if he just arrived, took BP and the wrist was hurting from day one. Hopefully he’s back in there in a few days.

• Alkaline says:

How bad?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Felt some discomfort. Shut down for a couple of days. Felt fine a few days ago. Make of it what you will.

It’s on LoHud. Not much info there.

12. Boston sucks says:

Why is everyone giving the Redsox 1st place just because they won last year? They lost their best player to us and lost their SS and made zero key additions. I have them finishing third behind us and the Rays and if Baltimore signs Santana and Morales, Boston comes in fourth!!!

• Preston says:

Their additions are through the minor leagues. Everyone is projecting Xander Bogaerts to be a star and Jackie Bradley Jr. to be a solid regular, people also apparently expect Will Middlebrooks to maintain the improvement he showed after getting sent down last year. I think the Red Sox could be good. But when you’re starting two rookies and counting on Daniel Nava, AJ Pierzynski, and Will Middlebrooks as everyday players there is definitely a chance that it will all go bad. Even guys like Napoli, Ortiz and Victorino are likely to regress a little after they had big years in 2013. That said their rotation and bullpen are both really solid.

• Brandon says:

When you have John Lackey and Clay Buchholz as your 2 and 3, it’s highly unlikely they’re going to be as good as they were last year. Oh, and the rest of it is Doubront, Peavy, and Chris Capuano. Laughable. And Uehara will not be nearly as good as last season since he was so ridiculous

• Preston says:

Lester is solid at the top. Buchholz is good. He’s probably not a safe bet for more than 20 starts, but in those starts he’s going to be good. Lackey is also a pretty good pitcher. He sucked in 2011, but now we know that’s because he was pitching with an injury. He had surgery and now he’s back to the guy he was in 2009 and 2010. They are replacing Ryan Dempster with a full season of Jake Peavy, that’s a pretty nice upgrade. Felix Doubront is a solid 5th starter and Chris Capuano is a pretty good depth option. Plus they have some useful arms in the minors like Allan Webster, Brandon Workman, Matt Barnes and maybe even Henry Owens later in the season if he’s good enough at AA.

• The Great Gonzo says:

Regress to the mean… They are certainly not a world beater, but a lot of things need to break right for them to win the ALE again.

• The Great Gonzo says:

BUT….. They are no slouch either.

(Submit fail…)

• RetroRob says:

Wondered that myself. They were projected to win about 83-85 games last year, then everything broke their way, and now they lost Ellsbury and Drew (so far) in the process, yet they’re picked to win the division pretty much across the board.

Bogaerts seems to be the real deal, but he’ll need to put up a near 3.5 WAR in his rookie season just to match what Drew did in his surprise year. Not sure Bradley is ready yet, but even if he is, he’s not going to be a 6 WAR player in center. Victorino had a near 6 WAR season playing RF, driven heavily by defensive metrics. He obviously had a solid year with the bat, but like Drew, heavily Fenway influenced. Does he produce another 5-6 WAR season? Don’t see it happening. Lackey?

Anyway, picking the Red Sox might just be the safest because the division is so competitive to a degree that a few surprise seasons can push a team to first. I don’t see the Red Sox as clearly the best by any stretch.

13. Pretentious Grammar Guy says:

“It’s a biomechanical analysis, so they strap a bunch of sensors to him and the data is recorded electronically.”

It’s “data ARE recorded”. I would’ve thought someone like you who prays at the Empirical Alter would never make that mistake…tsk tsk

• jjyank says:

Technically, yes. But “data are recorded” sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. Besides, nobody actually uses the plural “datum”, and colloquially speaking, words like “data” and “agenda” are treated as singular. At least you acknowledged what you were doing with your handle.

• hogsmog says:

Actually, it’s been consensus under nearly all usage dictionaries for some time now that “data is” and “data are” are both acceptable constructions, even in scientific writing.

14. W.B. Mason Williams says:

Hail Sizemore, full of grace, the Yankees are with thee.

15. Mr. Roth says:

It’s “data ARE recorded”.

The period goes inside the quotation marks. I would have thought that a pretentious grammar guy would get that right.

• Mr. Roth says:

Reply fail

• CS Yankee says:

Good catch on PGG, what a loser comment to write…nothing about baseball.

BTW, thanks for creating a better IRA.

• jjyank says:

Hah, nice. I didn’t even catch that.

• lightSABR says:

Maybe he’s a Brit? They only put punctuation inside the quotes if the punctuation actually comes from the quote – basically they treat it the same way we treat question marks, instead of having a weird rule where commas and periods always go inside.

It’s a superior system, if you ask me.

• Mr. Roth says:

Well if he’s a Brit then I’d call him out for his initial quote.

• Mr. Roth says:

Self’d. I guess I should have read your post before I replied.

Either way, the Yankees are an American team and they want periods put inside the quotes. Levine said so himself.

So he can take his data and stuff it right up his ass.

16. Nate says:

So if CC’s arm angle was fine, his bone spurs were removed, and his arm strength was OK, what was the diagnosis for his terrible season?

I mean he skipped mediocre altogether and went from All-Star to #5 starter-esque.

• jjyank says:

“It’s the same as it was ten years ago. Pretty much, except the rotation in my hips.”

It sounds like his arm stuff was fine but wasn’t rotation his hips properly. I’m no trainer/coach/scout, but maybe him losing weight last year had an effect on how he rotated his lower body. Just a thought.

• vicki says:

and we don’t know at what point before october his motion normalized. i don’t like his saying “where I was at last year is where I should be” in any context.

• RetroRob says:

Hard to say. Well, there was the loss in velocity and the article seemed to indicate he was trying to compensate by throwing harder, which might have messed up his command.

Power pitchers usually go through a transition when the velocity drops. I’m hoping 2013 was that for CC. 90-93 is plenty of velocity for a lefty, especially one who has a variety of pitches and was never just a power pitcher. I guess there is also some hope that he’ll regain some of the velocity, but it shouldn’t be necessary for him to succeed.

17. will says:

Question, with all these projections and stats, why do they even play the games? Can’t they just load up mlb the show and run sims and find out the winner and save everyone time and money on how these guys are going to do?

I love stats, but i hate when people think they will dictated how the season will unfold, there really is no reason to worry about a blown save, or missed scoring chances, because after all, the stats don’t like and they determined wins and losses eg.. war

at the end of the year.

Right?

• will says:

and my typos and english are horrible. sorry about that – i blame the headache

• Preston says:

Is your problem with the projections or WAR? Sure projections aren’t going to be right when they actually play the games. But they’re more informed guesses than you or I can come up with. So it’s often good to see what they think will happen and compare it to what you think will happen and try and account for why. As for using WAR as opposed to another stat, it’s just easier. The projection system predicts all of their stats, not just WAR. WAR is just a cumulative stat, so it’s easier to use in a short hand conversation comparing players than analyzing BA/OBP/SLG, defense and baserunning and trying to figure out who’s better. WAR has already done that leg work for you. You may think that WAR undervalues BA with RISP, or that it overvalues defense for OF, or whatever, but it’s the best tool we have to easily encapsulate a players total value.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Projections are going to mean as much as you allow them to mean for yourself.

18. Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

Former Yankee scrub (by which I mean starting pitcher) Chad Gaudin and his wife and kid were on House Hunters on HGTV shopping for a home in Vegas. He wanted to be near his trainer in the offseason. They didn’t make any particularly big deal of it – he was just like most of the regular shlubs on the show. Which makes sense.

• W.B. Mason Williams says:

It always blew my mind the production they were able to get out of Chad Gaudin.

He was pretty damn good for us. Serious lightning in a bottle type stuff.

19. David says:

Why not swap Sanchez for a pitching prospect or SS prospect, you know for a position they actually need

• Preston says:

Prospect for prospect trades rarely happen.

• David says:

Maybe the Yanks could throw another piece to bring in someone like a Maikel Franco Or Eddie Butler

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Still rarely happens.

• Preston says:

The problem is that prospects are both incredibly valuable and incredibly volatile. Teams don’t want to look silly by trading a great prospect for a bust. And teams know a ton about their own prospects but almost nothing except what they can scout, of other team prospects. Anytime a team markets a prospect teams view him as damaged goods.