Feb

Sherman: Yankees sign Dean Anna, Vidal Nuno for 2014

Via Joel Sherman: The Yankees have signed infielder Dean Anna and left-hander Vidal Nuno to one-year contracts for 2014. While in MLB, Anna will earn the $500,000 league minimum while Nuno will earn $504,500. Both guys still have all six years of team control remaining and can not become free agents until after the 2019 season at the earliest. I’m sure we’ll see both Anna and Nuno with the big league team at some point this summer, maybe even on the Opening Day roster.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I want to be a fringe MLB player when I grow up.

2. Betty Lizard says:

I’m just fringe, period.

(I miss Walter.)

3. Leg-End says:

I hope Dean Anna makes it purely because he has made it this far with the handicap of having both a boy and a girls name.

4. jjyank says:

Let me preface this by saying that I don’t really know anything about Anna other than what his Fangraphs page says.

I know he’s not exactly young (he’s 27), but his minor league numbers aren’t bad at all. He had a pretty huge year in AAA last year (140 wRC+) and the rest of his stats are respectable. Sure, he could be a AAAA player, but maybe he’s a wildcard in this whole infield situation.

5. Dan in Athens says:

You simply cannot repeat this level of OBP without a real skill set. Having this, plus the ability to play 6 positions and having done work to prepare as an emergency catcher makes you a huge bench piece or adequate starter. Your first clue this is true is when you get traded and get an MLB deal after another organization f’d up and ran out your clock.

FREE DEAN ANNA!!!!

6. Dominic says:

Dean Anna is a great story. He fights and battles every season with every club from A ball on up to the majors and with every club he always manages to prove his critics wrong!! Numbers are numbers and he belongs as a starter in the pin stripes this year !! Pay the man !!