Mar

Spring Training Game Thread: Tanaka, Part III

(Mike Carlson/Getty)

(Mike Carlson/Getty)

It has been a little while, but we’ll finally get our third look at Masahiro Tanaka this afternoon. He was effective in his first two Grapefruit League appearances (5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K) and his last outing was a simulated game, the first of his life. Tanaka threw 63 pitches in that four-inning simulated game last week, and today he’s scheduled for five innings or 75 pitches. We’ll get a nice extended look this afternoon.

The Yankees will be without Jacoby Ellsbury today after he was scratched from the lineup with minor calf tightness. Acting manager Rob Thompson told reporters he was scratched as a precaution and it is one of those “he would have played if it was the regular season” things. Ellsbury will not travel for tomorrow’s game either, so he will get two straight days off. Considering his game is built around speed, any kind of leg problem is worth keeping an eye on. Scratching him is a no-brainer.

The Braves are down from Orlando for this afternoon’s game and they’re going to be a nice test for Tanaka. Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Ryan Doumit, Dan Uggla, Andrelton Simmons, and both Upton brothers are in their starting lineup. Right-hander Julio Teheran will be on the mound. Here is the Yankees’ starting lineup:

1. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  2. SS Eduardo Nunez
  3. 1B Mark Teixeira
  4. C Brian McCann
  5. 3B Kelly Johnson
  6. LF Ramon Flores
  7. DH Peter O’Brien
  8. CF Mason Williams
  9. 2B Ali Castillo
    SP Masahiro Tanaka

Available Pitchers: LHP Matt Thornton, RHP Dellin Betances, RHP Shawn Kelley, and RHP Shane Greene are also scheduled to pitch. RHP Caleb Cotham, LHP Aaron Dott, LHP Tyler Webb, and SwP Pat Venditte are the extra arms.

Available Position Players: C Francisco Arcia, 1B Kyle Roller, SS Carmen Angelini, 3B Rob Segedin, LF Ben Gamel, and RF Taylor Dugas will all come off the bench. C Austin Romine, 1B/3B Zach Wilson, and 2B Rob Refsnyder are also available.

In addition to the game against the Braves, the Yankees are also playing the Marlins in the second game of the Legends Series down in Panama this afternoon. I don’t have a lineup for that game, but CC Sabathia is starting. That game will start at 2pm ET and you can watch right here (h/t @PanamaHitek). As for the game in Tampa, the weather is great (little cloudy with temperatures in the 70s with no threat of rain) and first pitch is scheduled for a little after 1pm ET. You can watch that game live on both YES and MLB.tv. Enjoy.

1. tanakas nutasacka says:

Tanaka seems to handle all of this extremely well

2. Chip Rodriguez says:

Nice start by Tanaka – he’s looked good so far through 2 IP.

3. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Ryan Doumit gets the Cervelli. Ouch.

I think you can hear an echo in here.

4. TCMiller30 says:

Ouch.. That foul ball off of Doumit’s hand looked painful. If something isn’t broken in there I will be incredibly surprised.

5. The game is just starting in Panama. Mo and Roberto Duran the first pitch

6. Wheels says:

Geez, what a great bunt.

7. Karl Krawfid says:

Man Tanaka is pretty nasty

8. NCS says:

Panamanian tv link not working for me. Anyone else getting that game anywhere?

9. Gardner and Jeter grounded out. Beltran reached on fielding error and Soriano flied out to right fielder Mike Stanton. Top of the first is gone

10. Sabathia is sitting 86-88, topping 89 two or three times

11. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Thornton getting smacked around a bit.

I’m not too worried about him, as he’s been a solid vet for a pretty long time now, but I’d like to see something more in the spring from the lone vet brought in to stabilize things a bit.

As I type that, he throws a wild pitch.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Matt Thornton can’t get anybody out. Jesus.

13. your mom says:

Didn’t anybody tell Cashman that Ellsbury was made of glass before he signed him to that ridiculous contract???

14. nycsportzfan says:

McCann with the 2 run double to take the lead. That guys gonna be a monster for us.

15. nycsportzfan says:

Flores is playing well this spring. He just smacked a RBI single. 4-2 yanks.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Just have to see him go back down to AA and, keep it up, and show a bit more power.

• forensic says:

.217/.269/.391 entering today is not really playing well.

• nycsportzfan says:

Well, hes hitting 269BA now, and hes got 1HR and 5ribbys in 26AB’s. Thats not to bad, dude.

• Deep Thoughts says:

I usually feel like “polemic” would be a more accurate user name than “forensic.”

• forensic says:

Have you mistaken me for someone who kicked your dog or something?

• Deep Thoughts says:

No mistake. I just think your posts are gratuitously contrarian more often than not. Just taking an opposing viewpoint for its own sake. Nothing wrong with that; that’s what discussion forums are for. But you should own it. Have you watched Flores this spring? He’s hitting the cover off the ball. Lots of his outs are coming off solid contact. He’s shown a decent arm in the OF. So I think it’s odd you would go out of your way to contradict someone on the internet based on box-score analysis. Actually, what I guess I’m saying is it wasn’t odd at all.

• forensic says:

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion. Every so often, I have brought up the opposing viewpoint (not totally supported or debated it, just brought it up so both sides are at least recognized), as do many people, but I make it abundantly clear when I do that.

As for Flores, I have watched every game this spring. He’s swung the bat better the last few games, but that doesn’t exactly mean he’s having such a good spring. It means he’s having a good couple games. Before that, he was hitting in the low .100′s with nothing really sticking out to me as overly impressive.

Again, just my opinion, which I am also entitled to.

• forensic says:

FWIW, that first paragraph was supposed to continue that the majority and rest of the time, it’s just me stating my honest opinion. Just because it’s not always pinstriped biased or blind to potential negatives with the organization, team, etc. doesn’t mean I’m just being contrarian for the hell of it. That’s just how I happen to view that particular topic.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

While I think you’re correct in your assessment of Flores, I will come to forensic’s defense here. For all the talk from of the Steve-like malcontents on here as to other opinions not being tolerated by regulars, forensic is an intelligent, informed fan who I happen to disagree with sometimes. That’s a far cry from your qwerty’s and punkpitches who seem to be only out to antagonize and have nothing to ever back up their negativity with. I respect forensic’s contributions on here greatly and would never lump him in with those who truly intentionally never have anything positive to say.

16. Sabathia is having a strong game. 5 innings of no hit no run. Robertson is warming up. And yes, no +90mph at all

17. You can watch the game here:

It has been made available now

18. nycsportzfan says:

Shane Greene is showing the big club some things. His stock has got to be on the rise.

19. nycsportzfan says:

Anyone still wondering why some teams would may want to trade for Cervelli??

20. Wheels says:

Betances looking a little shaky.

21. nycsportzfan says:

Betances trying to make sure we don’t win this one. Bases loaded and only 1out. Trying run to the plate.

22. Yangervis Solarte – 3/4. It’s only March 16, but can he keep it up? I really want to see this guy make the majors, even if for a short time. A .536 average on March 16 goes a long way in trying.

Also, look at that muscle by Gary Sanchez.

23. Gary Sanchez hit a mammoth home run to the right field with a runner on. It is a 7-0 game now. What a blast

24. RetroRob says:

7-0 win.

Not sure who the announcers were, but one of them was giving me a headache. Maybe he’s the Michael Kay of Panama.

25. pat says:

Need vid of the Sanchez HR. ASAP

26. MartinRanger says:

The thing about Sabathia this spring is that 2 of 3 outings he’s been outstanding despite a subpar fastball. And that indicates that he’s making strides towards correcting what did him in last year, which was terrible location within the strike zone. 88 or 91, you can’t get away with pitches in the meaty part of the plate. If Sabathia can locate his pitches and make adjustments, he can be better than last year regardless of his velocity (which I do expect to be in the 89-92 range, touching 94 by the time the season is underway).

Now, he got smacked around in his second outing, so it’s worth watching, but I think despairing over his velocity concerns is missing about half the picture.