Apr

Ivan Nova will undergo Tommy John surgery on Tuesday

As expected, Ivan Nova has decided to undergo Tommy John surgery, the Yankees announced. Dr. James Andrews will perform the procedure on Tuesday after looking over the test results yesterday. Elbow reconstruction comes with a 12-18 month rehab time. So long, Ivan. See you in 2015.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. John C says:

Hopefully, he should be back by July, 2015

2. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I will certainly be flying my flag at half mast tonight for Ivan. Poor kid. We’re all pulling for him to return next season as good as new. With his stuff he can be successful pitching in YS for another decade.

3. cooolbreeez says:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We
    have the capability to build the world’s first bionic man. Ivan Nova will be that man.

4. RetroRob says:

Perhaps he went to Andrews for the second opinion because that’s the doctor he wanted doing the surgery. If so, wise move.

5. Hank says:

Mike I have a question. It says “Ivan Nova has decided…”. Is it really his personal decision? What if he said “no, I want to rehab it”? Since he’s under contract I would assume the Yankees medical staff/front office get to make the final call. Of course that raises issues as well – I know if it were me I would be pretty uncomfortable if I couldn’t make my own medical decisions, especially for something big like surgery.

• Mike Myers says:

People have gone against the team on surgery before. No one can force you to get surgery.

He did choose….but did he really have a choice?

• forensic says:

The team doesn’t get the final call, the player does. But, what’s his other option? Retire?

6. Sean C. says:

I would like to know how many TJ surgeries Dr. Andrews has performed. It has to be an absurd number.

• Mike Myers says:

No idea, but I found this…

• Giancarlo Murphy says:

I believe the Verducci article stated that in 2003, he did 45 TJ surgeries on just “youth and high school” pitchers, which represented 26% of his total for that year, implying a total of about 175-180 for 2003 alone. This after doing just 42 in 1998.

I wouldn’t assume similarly exponential growth over the last ten years, but it’s probably fair to assume he’s in the thousands by now.