Apr

Yankees send down Austin Romine, call up Shane Greene

The Yankees have called up right-hander Shane Greene, the team announced. Third catcher Austin Romine was sent to Triple-A Scranton in a corresponding move. The club is now carrying an eight-man bullpen and three bench players, but I assume that is only temporary. No 40-man roster move was required.

Greene, 25, has never pitched above Double-A. He was with Scranton to start the minor league season but had not yet pitched. Greene gives the team some long relief protection with Vidal Nuno down for a few days following his extended outing yesterday. I ranked him as the team’s 26th best prospect before the season. His two-seamer does this.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. MB923 says:

What on Earth was the point of calling up Romine then? He played in only TWO innings. Are they telling me they couldn’t just put Cervelli at Catcher in the last two innings of yesterday’s game and move Kelly Johnson to 1B or something (and keep Roberts or Jeter at 2B or SS and move Anna to the other position?)

Look I’m sure not many of us can expect anything from Romine with MccCann, Cervelli and then Sanchez for the future at C, but what a waste of an option for Romine anyway.

- Someone correct me if I am wrong on this (about the option being wasted)

• JK5 says:

The option is for the entire season…so it’s really not a big deal at all.

• MB923 says:

“The option is for the entire season”

So you can send down a player any amount of times during the season and it would all only count as 1 option? If true, I feel dumb for not knowing that.

• 28 this year says:

Yea, options are based on years. That’s why a player gets a standard 3 (I think?) options once they are added to the 40 man roster. That means they get three years that they can be sent down to the minors without having to pass through waivers.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

David Robertson would have been a free agent five years ago with all the times he got initially sent down.

• ALZ says:

Yes, why if you have a few players with options it makes sense. Probably why Mike though Nuno would go down, he would need several days rest, then could make a start to stretch himself back out, and would be back in no time.

• Tanuki Tanaka says:

Not to pile on but, option and option years are pretty much interchangeable for some people.

• 28 this year says:

Once Romine was sent down at the beginning of the year, the option was used for the year and he can be sent up and down as many times as they want this year. I think the only rule is once he is sent down, he can’t be called up for 10 days but I may be mistaken. I think there is an injury provision with that rule but again, not positive.

2. Zach says:

Yanks made the right call on letting Hughes go.
    It’s the first inning against Oakland and it’s already 3-0 with no outs.
    He still has no out pitch to get people.

3. LarryM Fl says:

Romine senses or knows that his Yankee career is just about complete. If the Yankees can move him to a team starving for catching. We may get a bit more than we did for Nunez. Some middle infield help would be nice.

I find it amazing how little value the Yankees have to trade. The AAA club looks a bit weak. AA & A seems to be where the talent is placed.

4. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

*Team Sizemore War Dance*

• TWTR says:

My guess is that he replaces Anna near the end of April. Barring the unexpected, it makes too much sense not to do it.

• I'm One says:

I’m not yet seeing a place for Sizemore (baring an additional IF injury). Anna is the backup SS, pretty much exclusively and that’s a role Sizemore doesn’t seem suited for. If Ryan is healthy, he’ll replace Anna. Unless Solarte falls off a cliff offensively, or he, Roberts or Johnson are injured, I think Sizemore may stay where he is (or opt-out) come May 1.

5. nycsportzfan says:

Shane Greene should be a really good reliever, just being able to go out there and let loose, as opposed to being a starter, and having to SV a bit to get through games. Greene is a power arm, and also includes a slider in his arsenal. Hes got a couple other pitches but there mediocre. THis guy reminds me of Joba in 07, when he came up, as far as projecting stuff. I’m interested to see if he can harness it, and throw strikes consistently. I think hes got a legit chance to be a stud in the pen.

6. Nick says:

I don’t really understand why they didn’t just send Nuno down… He won’t be able to pitch for a few days anyway. With Cervelli as part of the 1B platoon and McCann getting occasional DH duties, you’d think having a 3rd catcher would be somewhat important.

• Yankee$ says:

Either Cervelli failed his test at 1B with Joe, or they think they can get through the weekend without needing Cervelli at 1B, and believe Nuño can help by Saturday/Sunday.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Yeah. I don’t really see the issue there. It’s April. Too early in the season to be thinking “fresh arm,” especially when you can make the Romine/Greene move.

7. coolbreeez says:

off topic, but I was curious about Joba. Here’s what he’s been up to:

2014 DET AL MLB 0 1 13.50 2 0 0 0 0 0 2.0 4 3 3 0 0 1 0 4 .400 2.50 1.00

I didn’t post the headings for each stat but suffice to say he’s picking up where he left off.