Jun

Monday Night Open Thread

The Yankees and Royals were rained out tonight, and I’m not sure that’s a bad thing for the Bombers. Both the bullpen and rotation get a little extra rest, and the struggling offense gets to spend a day away from the park to clear their heads a bit. Off-days are a good thing, even surprise ones.

Here is your open thread for the sudden Yankees baseball-less night. ESPN is showing the Dodgers and Reds (Haren vs. Cingrani), plus the (hockey) Rangers are playing Game Three of the Stanley Cup Finals (8pm ET on NBCSN). They’re down two-zip in the best-of-seven series and really need a win at home. Talk about those games or anything else right here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. MB923 says:

Trevor Cahill DFA by the DBacks. Wondering if the Yanks should make a claim. He’s owed a lot of $ but hey I don’t give a rats ass about that.

2. Lukasz says:

Postponement today is a good thing, will give the relief pitchers and the anemic offense time to rejuvenate and contemplate

• nycsportzfan says:

And hopefully the Yanks are smart and don’t use Nuno tomorrow. What a minor blessing by being able to skip his start all together. Every start he misses is one more closer to CC and/or Pineda getting back in the fold.

• ALZ says:

I actually like him starting out in Seattle. Nuno is a flyball pitcher, so if they can have him starting that game with Ellsbury/Gardner/Ichiro in the outfield then that should be able to limit their attack vs him. Nuno has actually been really good so far on the road..

• Preston says:

Even if we’d like to skip him I don’t think it makes much sense. Phelps has been pretty bad too. Whitley is still a bit of a question mark (although I’m starting to get excited about him) and at Kuroda’s age giving him an extra day off can’t hurt. As for Tanaka, isn’t the load on him heavy enough already? Let everybody pitch in their normal order.

• nycsportzfan says:

You skip him because you can. Why would you change every one else in the rotation around when most of em are doing fine? The only scrub starters are Nuno and Phelps. You can skip him without affecting the rest of the rotaion. Of course you do it.

• forensic says:

He’s gonna have to start at some point. It’s not like the hurt guys are right around the corner. It sucks anytime he’s out there, but at least this way you get him two starts on the road in big pitcher’s parks while also letting Tanaka start in both the Blue Jays and O’s series.

• forensic says:

Actually, this gets Tanaka 4 straight starts against the AL East, one against each of the teams. Those are the most important to get him in right now.

• nycsportzfan says:

Id still rather one less start for Nuno, and take my chances down the road, that either Pineda,CC,Kuroda, or Whitley gets the start.

• nycsportzfan says:

The problem is Nuno’s flyballs end up as HR’s. If you get a chance to skip him all together, you gotta do it. Were talking Tanaka going against Iwakuma or Nuno. Nuno gives up way to many dingers. And most of em would be outta any ball park in existence.

• Colin in NJ says:

I think the only positive thing you learn from starting pitcher injuries is that Phelps and Nuno are not MLB starters.

3. Deep Thoughts says:

I believe it was someone in the RAB comments a few weeks back who said, “Tanaka and Pineda and pray for tornada.”

4. The Other Matt says:

Dodgers/Reds it is for me.

5. Farewell Mo says:

Even for a non hockey fan, the first 2 games have been great. There’s nothing like overtime in playoff hockey especially the finals.

Let’s hope the Rangers can make a series out of it.

6. Yankee$ says:

Damn! Trenton is off tonight. No Refsnyder update in DOTF.

7. nycsportzfan says:

Scoreless inning for Shawn Kelley tonight. Should be able to return now.

8. Mick taylor says:

Tell idiot cashman to get a hitter as good as morales is will cost you a couple of your top prospets like Gary sanchez

9. Bo Knows says:

Trevor Cahill just got DFA’d. If he manages to reach the Yankees through wavers, I’d take a shot on him he’s had issues with walks this year but he gets a ton of grounders for his career is decent with the wiffs. He’d be a legit by low candidate, and wouldn’t cost much.

• Farewell Mo says:

an extreme GB pitcher and the most putrid infield defense in MLB make for a bad combination.

• The Other Matt says:

I know what you wrote is true and has been said by Mike as well, but moving forward, any possible pitching candidate is doomed in that case.

fly ball pitcher in a small ball park = bad combination
        ground ball pitcher with terrible infield defense = combination
        All told = No Win Situation

• Preston says:

I’ll still take bleeding singles over giving up dingers all day. Plus the infield defense isn’t likely to be this terrible next season, and Cahill is signed through 2015 with two team options. So if he rights the ship, he could be a valuable piece going forward.

• hogsmog says:

Still takes a lot more infield throwing errors to score the same amount of runs as a ball that leaves the park.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

That’s a lot of money to take on a flyer.
      Maybe if he completely clears waivers and is released.

• Bo Knows says:

I’d much rather take a risk on a 26 year old with money, than the standard policy of taking 35+ yr old over the hill players who have money left on deals. Yankees have taken on salary before and the reward when his .368 babip regresses could be big

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Maybe.
          My concern is next year’s $12M salary would buy him a long leash in the rotation next year, whether it was deserved or not. Paired with CC, that could lock up the back end of the rotation with underperforming, overpaid pitchers, while leaving no room to give a younger pitcher a shot.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Yeah. This.

• forensic says:

Agreed. Even if he clears waivers I’m not sure I’d take him unless he’s somehow willing to sign a minor league deal.

10. Yankee$ says:

White Sox just signed their second rounder for slot. Maybe Yanks will have Lindgren inked any day now.

11. nycsportzfan says:

Aaron Judge smacked a RBI Double in his first AB of the night against Red Sox 2013 1st rd pick Trey Ball. For the love of god, get Judge to Tampa.

• nycsportzfan says:

Judge now 2-2 2B, and a RBI..

• The Other Matt says:

I have to agree with you. I know there might be some hesitancy within the organization to promote him too quick because he didn’t receive any AB’s last year after he signed due to injury, but it’s clear to see he could handle this level. Early on he exhibited patience and the ability to hit for average, and as of late his power has come around as well. Get him to Tampa and see what he does there the rest of this season. Not saying that they should fast track him and sacrifice his development, but the guy is clearly performing. Looking ahead, and being extremely optimistic, I would hope if he continues to progress at each level you could see Judge: 2014 promotion to Tampa for rest of this season, 2015 possibly beginning in Trenton if he does well in a promotion to Tampa for the rest of this year. Then you could go from there.

• nycsportzfan says:

Exactly. Hes also not exactly young. I believe hes 22 or gonna be 22yrs old. Hes not even being challenged in LowA ball. If the whole thing is to develop him, then let him get to a level he finds somewhat difficult and coach him up. As of right now, hes just doing what he does everyday just about at Charleston, which is destroy LowA pitching.

Hes also added a BB tonight. 2-2 BB,RUN,RIBBY. Now hitting 321BA with tons of ex base power and a good eye in LowA ball. I’d like to at least get the guy by age 24 at the latest. We know hes physically all ready there, which is another reason to bring him along. Alot of guys are brought along slowly because they must build there body up, so it can handle the rigors of MLB. A luxury we never had to worry about with Aaron Judge.

12. nycsportzfan says:

Dan Camarena is pitching a gem for Tampa Yanks right now. The Lefty should be on radars now, as hes done really well in his pro career so far.

13. nycsportzfan says:

Dang, Severino is holding Left handed batters to a 216BA 0hr in almost 100ab’s. Nice.

14. Kelly's Johnson says:

thank goodness todays game got cancelled. watching foul territory with mark teixeria is much more entertaining than watching this team play lately.

15. forensic says:

So, I’m being offered Michael Brantley, Hanley, and Profar for Justin Upton.

I could kind of use some MI help from Hanley, but I can’t help but think his next injury is right around the corner. I also don’t think I buy Brantley continuing what he did in May.

Any opinions?

16. Charles R. says:

Such swagger by Sheffield.

17. Yankee$ says:

Anyone think Solarte can handle SS next year?

• Preston says:

No, I think he’s best right where he is at 3b. He’s had some errors there, but it’s his first full season at the hot corner. I think he has room to get a lot better. His range is lacking at 2b and I think challenging his range while making him make longer throws at SS would be ugly in an everyday situation. I think you keep Solarte where he is, hopefully have Refsnyder ready to take over 2b and spend some money on a SS.

• Yankee$ says:

Ah thanks, I think you just put into words what I was thinking (GET OUT OF MY BRAIN DAMNIT!).
        Haha, I do agree.

• Deep Thoughts says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but do what with Alex? Most expensive RH platoon 3B ever?

• Preston says:

According to some, Alex is going to get cut. If not, He could DH while playing 3b occasionally, that’s if Beltran can play RF on a consistent basis (not a guarantee). If not then maybe Yangervis get’s a look at SS. Aging Alex on two bad hips, and Solarte might be worse than the left side this season though.

18. mustang says:

After today I realize that we can blame everything on not moving Jeter down in the order.

Today’s rain out, Global warming, the shooting of buckwheat, jfk assassination, Elvis death,…..

19. forensic says:

So, this is the first time in probably years that I’m actually watching a hockey game. I guess I should take the blame for what’s happening to the Rangers.

20. Charles R. says:

Lonnie Chisenhall just singlehandedly lifted my fantasy team for this week. Wowza.

21. nycsportzfan says:

Being 6.5games out sucks ass. How much further can they go back and stay in distance to possibly overtake 1st?

22. nycsportzfan says:

Why does ESPN have the Phelps pitching the last game of the Seattle series? Shoulden’t that be Whitleys game? It’d be really stupid to skip Whitley after hes built himself up since coming to NY. And if they won’t skip Nuno, skipping Whitley would really be silly.

Hopefully its just a ESPN fuck up.

23. mustang says:

Damn Jeter if he batted lower in the order the Rangers would be up 3-0 instead of down 3-0.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR GREED!!!!

24. sevrox says:

Ahhhh – Gary Sheffield highlights – long for those offensive days with he and Arod, Bernie and Jeter – A Major Force at the plate – nothing but sheer intimidation with the bat waggle and ‘I’m gonna kick yo’ ass’ mentality. Fun to watch.