Jun

Yankees acquire David Huff, designate Wade LeBlanc for assignment

Another day, another new long man. The Yankees have re-acquired David Huff from the Giants and designated Wade LeBlanc for assignment. They swapped the French David Huff for the real David Huff. Go figure. They traded Huff to the Giants for cash over the winter. He will be in uniform tonight.

Huff, 29, had a 6.30 ERA (4.33 FIP) in 20 innings for San Francisco this year. They designated him for assignment the other day, so I’m guessing this was either a straight waiver claim or cash trade. Huff had a 4.67 ERA (4.95 FIP) in 34.2 innings for New York late last season, as I’m sure you remember. This move is about trying to get some better production out of the long man spot, that’s all.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. vin says:

I wonder what Brett Tomko’s doing? Painting?

That “French for David Huff” comment will always make me laugh.

2. BrianMcCannon says:

Haha funny how that works out.

3. The Other Matt says:

F*ck my life. That’s French for great.

4. trr says:

Wonder how long he’ll last?

5. The Other Matt says:

Not that it matters much at all but, I saw enough of David Huff last season to know what he is. At least with Wade LeBlanc I could use my imagination and think he would turn out to be of some decency since he didn’t have a chance to stink up the joint just yet.

6. Curtis says:

LOL I like disinterested Axisa

7. Yankee$ says:

Oui Oui

8. leftylarry says:

Lets keep hiring these has-beens and never wuzes and put them on our 40 man roster while we let kids like Tommy Kahnle get taken in the rule 5 draft.

Who does Cashman have photos of in a compromised position?

How does he keep his job?

All the money in the world and on return on investment.

• willie w says:

cash absolutely needs to go as soon as the season ends

• kenthadley says:

Kahnle is only the latest. Cashman has perfected “buy hi/sell low”. He’s a mediocre GM at best. And he’s built a mediocre team. But it makes money, so Hal and Hank sleep well at night.

• Mike Axisa says:

Kahnle? The guy who’s walked more batters than he’s struck out the last six weeks? Yeah the Yankees really need him back. At least complain about Clippard or Melancon. Someone good.

• kenthadley says:

I forgot about Clippard. Another of Brian’s sell-lo All Stars.

• Smart Andy says:

Your idiot like the Spankees Brass!!! Kahnle has the most innings logged out of the Rockies Pen to go along with the lowest ERA and OBA. Era= 1.89, OBA= .170!!! Bet you Clowns don’t have anyone with numbers like that!!! That’s whats wrong with the Yankees They think Like You!!!

• yankeepankee says:

And the mother of them all, Quintana on the Chisox.
      Cashy must go.

• lightSABR says:

Seriously – what kind of idiot keeps Yangervis Solarte over Eduardo Nunez?

You trolls are a riot. I laughed out loud.

9. vicki says:

and from the phoenix the ashes arise.

bon retour d’oubli, huffles.

10. Dr. Martin Van Nostrand says:

the snark from the Leblanc entry is just that much better now.

…you don’t have ESP Mike, right? I’m a little scared.

11. ALZ says:

Why???
    He sucks vs lefties too, so it’s not like he is an extra loogy, since ours sucks. I’d rather have Claiborne up than him. Sure he isn’t a long man, but he can at least handle medium leverage situations.

12. viridiana says:

I haven’t been so excited since they re-signed Sergio Mitre.

13. Tom says:

So the Yankees acquired the American Wade LeBlance?

Or would it be the English Wade LeBlanc?

14. yankeepankee says:

Do we have a shot at making a deal for DFA’d Cahill?
    Like him better than Nuno (back to pen), Phelps and Whitley.
    And Cahill is still 26 and can find his way again.

15. LarryM Fl says:

I will never understand moves of this nature. Huff can offer nothing for this team.

16. yankeepankee says:

Go get him, Cashy…
    Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that Brewers lefty Brad Mills can opt out of his minor league deal on Sunday and is having a strong season at Triple-A. Mills has pitched to a 1.57 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 in 69 innings of work. Rosenthal wonders if the veteran 29-year-old could be of interest to teams looking for a starter.