I haven’t updated the minor league standings once this season, so let’s do that now. Here are some notes to check out first:
- In case you missed it earlier, the Yankees activated 3B Brandon Drury from the disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Scranton. Interestingly enough, they called him an “INF/OF” in the press release. I wonder if that means the Yankees are planning to move Drury around now?
- RHP Jonathan Loaisiga has been placed on the Double-A disabled list, the team announced. He has a blister. Pitcher blisters can be nasty, but all things considered, this is good news. Loaisiga has a long injury history. A blister is no big deal. His arm is okay and that’s most important.
- RHP Garrett Whitlock has been promoted to High-A Tampa, the team announced. He had a 1.13 ERA (2.35 FIP) with 29.7% strikeouts and 4.7% walks in seven starts and 40 innings for Low-A Charleston. With 3B Miguel Andujar graduating to the big leagues over the weekend, Whitlock has moved into MLB.com’s top 30 Yankees prospects.
- RHP Albert Abreu placed 20th on this week’s Prospect Hot Sheet. “He’s a power pitcher who sits in the mid- to upper 90s, with the ability to put away hitters with either his breaking ball or his changeup. Now, it’s a matter of Abreu developing more touch and feel to go with his power arsenal,” says the write-up.
The Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders had a scheduled off-day. They are 16-19 and 4.5 games back in the division.
Double-A Trenton Thunder (3-2 win over Akron in ten innings, walk-off style) they are 23-13 and one game up in the division
- CF Trey Amburgey: 1-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K — had one extra-base in his previous 44 at-bats
- LF Billy McKinney: 0-4, 2 K — 2-for-12 (.167) with four walks and four strikeouts in four rehab games so far
- 1B Greg Bird: 0-3 — played seven innings in the field as scheduled … he is 2-for-11 (.182) with three walks and two strikeouts in four rehab games so far
- DH Chris Gittens: 0-1, 1 R, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 1 K — walk-off sac fly
- SS Abi Avelino: 1-4, 2 K, 1 SB — 19-for-49 (.388) with seven steals in eight attempts in 13 games since being sent down
- RHP Dillon Tate: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, 6/5 GB/FB — 61 of 99 pitches were strikes … 20.7 K% and 6.9 BB% in 35.1 innings so far this year
The High-A Tampa Tarpons were rained out. They’re going to play a doubleheader tomorrow. The Tarpons are 20-16 and two games back in the division.
The Low-A Charleston RiverDogs were rained out as well. They’ll play a doubleheader tomorrow. They are 17-19 and five games back in the division.