Jan

Betemit signs one-year deal

News! Transactions! Huzzah!

Wilson Betemit has agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.165 million. So, uh, good move.

For what it’s worth, PeteAbe thinks the Yanks will settle with Cano, Wang, and Bruney before arbitration hearings begin on Feburary 1.

Categories : Transactions

1. Realist says:

I would love to see him live up to all his supposed “potential” offensively. His glove and ability to play the entire infield make him very valuable….a better average and a little more pop would make him something special.

2. Jeff says:

“Wilson Betemit agreed to a one-year, $1.165 million contract… Betemit earned $405,000 last season. He batted .226 with four home runs…”
    I think he was short changed… couldn’t they have done a little more to tripled his previous contract? I think Cashman really could have made a better case for himself as we all know he’s GM MVP for ten years running.

3. Travis says:

A good deal in my book. Cheap at this price.

4. brockdc says:

Why he ever chooses to bat from the right side, I’ll never know.

• RollignWave says:

well he’s right handed…

that and probably because he’s even worse from the left side against lefty.

• Count Zero says:

Yah — dem splits be ugly for a switch hitter. OPS+ 110 vs. 65

One is forced to wonder: Could he really be that much worse as a LH batter against LHP? I mean, 65?!? WTF — that makes Tony Womack’s career 72 look good… ;-)

5. brockdc says:

“One is forced to wonder: Could he really be that much worse as a LH batter against LHP?”

Exactly. Hell, he could probably exceed that production from the left side using a Wiffle Bat (not one of those fat red ones, either). Those flailing, bailing RH hacks he takes when facing lefties are oooogly.

6. RollignWave says:

Yeah, consider that he lose power AND patience AND whiff 10 % more from that side it’s hard to belive that it could get much worse hitting from the left side , i mean he might actually run into a few at least.

7. RollignWave says:

OPS+ over the last 3 season

107 / 101 / 101 .

he’s a underrated player. flexible on defense and good enough on offense. he has some pretty serious power potential if you ever take a look at his HRs. he hits a lot of looooong shots.

I think he’s a very interesitng sleeper, he might just be ready to go ballistics . I could think of a few guys that profile liked him ( good power potential but underrated / underapreciated and/or struggle for various reasons) that turned out very well. the most glaring case is David Ortiz, I don’t think Betemit’s will be THAT awsome, but he’s in a similar catagory.

8. Jeff says:

I realize its quibbling about a small amount of money but I think Cashman continually overpays players… but maybe you guys are right abouth this one…Bem was probably due a raise.

9. RobertGKramer says:

Life is short, a baseball career even shorter. Let them get all of the $ they can.