Mar

Finally, a non-Hank quote

Brian Cashman, in reference to young centerfield prospects Brett Gardner and Austin Jackson:

“We need athleticism like that, especially when you have a bunch of these old farts filling the roster out. Those young burst-of-energy, athletic guys really stand out on a team like ours.”

That’s awesome.

Categories : Front Office

1. Mike R. says:

I had to read that at least three times. I couldn’t believe he really said that. Bravo Mr. Cashman!

2. David says:

I can’t believe he actually said that.

3. BrunoAKAmaximumpotential says:

WOW! I’m sure he was being sarcastic, but still, WOW!

4. LiveFromNewYork says:

Great quote Cash.

I think the chemistry of the team is going to be different this year with the Trinity having a higher profile and Girardi at the helm.

5. steve (different one) says:

i am sure this was said with a wink, but it’s hilarious.

6. mike says:

Thats great – and when does Mr. cashman get slapped for putting together a roster of old farts?? Or will he be in charge for 15 years before we actually get to criticize him?

• dan says:

He obviously said that while realizing that his roster filled with old farts for outfielders led the majors in runs scored. I can name 29 other GM’s that would gladly take this offense in exchange for their own.

• E-ROC says:

Is it really that serious? Lighten up.

7. JimT says:

Mike just stole my thunder. A funny quote designed to light a fire under some of these “old farts”. But Mr. Cashman, who exactly put this team together?

8. I didn’t know Cashman was allowed to talk?

YankeesDaily

9. Mike R. says:

Totally off topic, but a certain young catcher has an OPS of 5.000.

10. RobertGKramer says:

I saw the game on a Philly channel. Both Duncans and Betemit stung the ball too!

11. DanElmaleh says:

Maybe Hank is rubbing off on Brian. Good show.

12. Steve says:

If anyone needed confirmation that the Yanks are going with a youth movement and looking for answers internally, this is yet another confirmation. To go along with all the Hank and Hal quotes we’ve had recently.

This is not Torre’s team anymore, and George is no longer running the show. If you still think they’re going to trade the farm for some veteran quick fix, you’re just not paying attention.