Mar

MLB issues ridiculous suspensions

Via a press release:

Shelley Duncan of the Yankees has been suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent and reckless actions, which incited the bench-clearing incident. Unless appealed, Duncan’s suspension is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 31st, when the Yankees host the Toronto Blue Jays in their first game of the 2008 Championship Season.

Jonny Gomes of the Rays has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent actions, which escalated the bench-clearing incident. Unless appealed, the suspension of Gomes is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 31st, when the Rays play at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore in their first game of the 2008 Championship Season.

Melky Cabrera of the Yankees has been suspended for three games and fined an undisclosed amount for his violent and aggressive actions during the incident. Unless appealed, Cabrera’s suspension is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 31st.

So Jonny Gomes gets two games for sprinting in from right field and escalating the incident while Duncan and Melky get three. That seems wrong to me.

In related news, Shelley Duncan says he will continue his aggressive play even while the Yankee veterans have asked him to tone it down. This could become an issue over the course of the season, and it will test Joe Girardi‘s abilities to keep his players in line.

Speculation is that the Yanks will go with an outfield of Matsui in left and Damon in center with Giambi DHing on Opening Day. I have a feeling the Yanks may figure out a way to work Brett Gardner into that lineup instead, but we’ll see. Melky, have you ever heard of Wally Pipp? Careful out there with those punches.

Categories : News

1. E-ROC says:

Does anyone have a clip of Cabrera punching Evan Longoria?

I guess the sprint from right field and the subsequent shoved which cleared the benches didn’t warrant three games. I wonder what MLB’s reasoning was for the decision to suspend Gomes for only two games.

I wonder if Cabrera gets his job back if Gardner is showing off his speed and patience at the plate, as well as a good glove in the field.

• TurnTwo says:

While I think at this point we all like what we see from Brett Gardner, even if he starts with the big club to break camp, i think Melky comes back and takes over when his suspension is over. At least for now, anyway.

Let Gardner do what he’s been doing in the AFL and in spring camp for a month or two in Scranton, and then I could see making the move. His speed could be a huge weapon at the bottom of the order, but only if he can prove he can continue to get on base at a clip around .360+.

• LBA Prequel says:

I’ve tried like hell to find the “punch” in various versions of the video online, even the ESPN one which seems to be the most clear. However, I can’t even find Melky, let alone see him throw a punch. I tried zooming in on the numbers and while I was able to discern a few, Melky is lost somewhere in the shuffle.

Not saying it didn’t happen; I don’t claim to be a high-tech video analyst. But I’d love to see exactly what MLB is talking about. Because I don’t see a punch anywhere in that scuffle.

• E-ROC says:

Peter Abe’s blog says Cabrera punched Longoria during the brawl. And that the MLB has evidence to prove it.

2. zack says:

Yet again the Yankees get screwed. The person who escalated the incident and turned it into a brawl gets less of a suspension then the person reacting to that escalation? I understand Duncan’s 3 gamer, but Gomes HAS to get the same. MLB is basically saying that its okay to respond in kind to a perceived affront, especially if it is the Yankees who did it. Idiots…

3. Jeff says:

“Melky, have you ever heard of Wally Pipp? Careful out there with those punches.”

lol..You guys really dislike Melky….

BTW Brett Gardner is no Lou Gehrig….

4. matt says:

I saw the punch sorta…. You can see melky run into the scuffle an arm get thrown and then someone moves and you can see longoria around where thepunch was thrown so i guess that was the punch melky threw

• LBA Prequel says:

Can you point out the general region and a link to what video you’re watching? I’d like to see it, maybe it will change my mind on the situation. Because it was like a “Where’s Waldo” for me, I spent a good 10 minutes on the video. :-D

5. Travis G. says:

life lesson from MLB: strike first, but dont retaliate.

that Gomes got less than the others is utterly ridiculous.

6. Rich says:

It’s a clear example of how the Yankees are held to a different standard of conduct.

7. matt says:

watch the video here

At 15 seconds in you can see melky running in the scuffle. #28 you then lose sight of him.

At 23 seconds in you can see a punch get thrown and right after that the group moves so you can see longoria in the general direction where the punch was thrown.

I cant be sure that it was melky throwing the punch but the league said melky punched longoria.

8. Mike says:

So why does Gomes get less of a penalty? Because Boob Watson is still mad at the elder Steinbrenner for exposing his incompetence as a GM (read Joel Sherman’s “Birth of a Dynasty).

9. [...] MLB issues ridiculous suspensions – Ben K. – River Ave. Blues [...]