Mar

Patterson jams finger, salvages career

A little over a month ago, we learned a little about Scott Patterson. Over the past few weeks, we’ve gotten to see him in action, and it’s been rather pretty. The results, that is, not his “herky-jerky motion,” which we’ll hopefully all come to know and love soon enough. Today, king beat writer Tyler Kepner shares something else about Patterson with us: If it wasn’t for a stubbed finger, he might never have gotten his shot to play in the bigs.

“I stubbed my finger in a door at my host family’s house in Lancaster,” Patterson said. “They brought me back slowly and said, ‘Could you work out of the pen?’ It was my first time ever doing that, and I just let it go for an inning. I was up to 90, 91, 92 miles an hour, and I was like, This could be good; let me stay here for a little bit.

Prior to his finger-jamming incident, Patterson’s only taste of big league ball was a short stint in camp with the Seattle Mariners. They didn’t feel he was worth a spot on their A-ball roster, though, and let him go back to the independent leagues.

After the injury, though, Patterson started focusing on his fastball and slow curve. Eventually, he caught the attention of Yanks’ scout Cesar Presbott, who brought him into the organization. After fixing a “slight hesitation in his delivery,” Patterson was set. He steamrolled through AA Trenton last year, tossing 74.1 innings to the tune of a 1.09 ERA, with opponents hitting just .170 off him. And I’m not sure what is more impressive: That he struck out 91 in those 74.1 innings, or that he allowed only one homer in that time.

Giardi sums him up perfectly:

“All he’s done is get everybody out,” Manager Joe Girardi said. “It’s been pretty unbelievable. He’s gotten us out of jam after jam. He has a chance.”

Three of the seven spots in the Yanks pen are seemingly up for grabs. It’s looking more and more like Patterson will nab one of them.

Categories : Pitching

1. Manimal says:

He has a chance???!?!? Thats all he could say?!?!

2. Bruno says:

If he doesn’t make it Girardi has a chance to be worse than Torre ‘pen-wise

3. Matt says:

I hate it when manager’s dont say exactly what they are thinking. I know that Girardi wants everyone in the bullpen to think that they don’t have a set spot (unless your name is Rivera, or Chamberlain-but he better be out by June!), but we aren’t idiots. Patterson is definetely in. I’d say that Bruney is in, he’s pitching a lot better now that he is in better shape. Edwar is awesome, so hopfully Girardi uses him more than once every 3 weeks! Ohlendorf should be in, and so should Hawkins. Everyone else will have to duke it out.

• J.R. says:

I think the only problem with your list is that one of them are Long relievers. Maybe you can stretch Bruney, Ohlendorf and Hawkins out for 2 innings. They almost need a Karstens to soak up innings in bad starts. And I think Traber is making a ten times better impression than Edwar, plus you get a good lefty out of the penn. Maybe send Edwar or Patterson down for some time and see how everyone is pitching. You can always call both back up later.

4. I really want this kid to make the team. I love his stuff and how he attacks the hitters. Plus, being 6’7″ and throwing from that insanely high arm angle has to confuse the hell out of hitters. It must be weird to see fastballs and curve balls dropped on you from 10-11 feet in the air.

5. J.R. says:

Listed in order of making the pen:

Rivera
    Joba
    Farnsworth
    Hawkins
    Bruney
    Traber
    Patterson

Anyone’s thoughts?

• dan says:

The only part of that anyone might disagree with is Bruney. I personally would rather someone else, I can’t stand Bruney.

• blah says:

This is exactly the BP I think the Yankees would go with if the season started today. Ohlendorf, Britton, Ramirez, Albaladejo, and Veras starting the year in Scranton – that’s a pretty good pool of reserves to have waiting to get the call up, depending on who is pitching well at the time.

• J.R. says:

Having too much pitching depth is never a bad thing. It does look like Giardi likes Ohlendorf and his ability to get the ground ball. Maybe but Ohlendorf in AAA and use him for starting pitching depth?

6. brockdc says:

Question:

Has Girardi insinuated that Joba was a lock to be the 8th-inning guy? If so, I’m curious as to how they’ll stretch him out innings-wise for his second half stint as a starter.

Seems like Joba – and the team – might be better served if he were to be a 7th-8th inning guy (for the season’s first half), a la Rivera circa 1996. At least then, he’d be pitching two innings at a time.

7. Joe says:

Here’s another NUGGET about Scott…he better make the team or someone should be fired. It isn’t like he is a trick pitch guy or a finesse righty who has no margin for error. His ball starts at 10 feet high, travels up to 94 mph and ends up 18 inches high in whichever 3 inch box he feels like throwing to on that particular pitch. Then he does the same with a curveball that is, at times, 20 mph off his fastball.

No walks, lots of K’s and very few hits. There is no trick there (ala Edwar) and no mindless, aimless heaters (um, you know who that is). I don’t get why there are ANY doubters left, he’s GOOD at any level because of his…and I’ll say it again…wait for it…wait for it…..FASTBALL COMMAND. Why are we even debating this again?

8. JeffG says:

What would be more useful a third extra infielder or lets say Betemit & Duncan and an extra arm in the pen?
    I’d like to see Rivera, Joba, Farns, Hawkins, Patterson, Olendorf, Traber, Karsteins… needing the long and lefty means that Olendorf or Patterson (or Bruney if you like him- I don’t) have to be left off the team.

9. Joe says:

How can Duncan be your choice for a third infielder? His career BEST season is hitting .234 with 12 home runs as a first baseman. He can’t steal bases, doesn’t play a premium defensive position, doesn’t hit for power and has a career average of around .249…this can’t be the best the yankees can do as far as a third infielder. Oh but he WAS a first rounder so lets ignore all those pesky little performance indicators since he was a little young for the league. Sorry for the venom, but I really can’t stand top draft picks who show nothing and keep getting chances for some reason.

• steve (different one) says:

what are you talking about? what does this even mean? are you suggesting the Yankees should just have released Duncan when he was 21 years old?

what “chances” does he keep getting, a spot in AA? some ABs in AAA?

10. Chip says:

I think you have the wrong Duncan there buddy. They’re talking about Shelley and you’re giving Eric Duncan’s numbers I believe. Shelley has HUGE power

11. AndrewYF says:

Yeah, whenever anyone mentions ‘Duncan’ now it’s Shelley. Hopefully for Eric’s sake that changes this year.

12. Joe says:

Whew….huge mistake on my part. Shelley is one of my favorites…Eric, not so much.