May

Game 36: Staying out of the cellar

If the Yanks lose today, they could end up in last place. Yikes.

Today’s game features a battle of the slow-ball pitchers. Paul Byrd, another infuriatingly average pitcher the Yanks can’t seem to knock around, takes the mound for the Indians. Mike Mussina, who now knows he can’t blow hitters away and is in the middle of a hot stretch, grabs the ball for the Yanks. This could be a four-hour slugfest; it could be a three-hour 3-2 game. No matter what, today, we see what happens when slow and slower face off.

Meanwhile, on the lineup front, Jason Giambi is back in to butcher balls at first base and make outs. Considering that Moose pitches to contact these days, I have to wonder if sticking Giambi in the field is a bright idea. It also may take more than four plate appearances every three games to get Shelley Duncan’s bat going. At Scranton, he got regular work, and he hit well. In New York, he plays every few days and doesn’t hit. The jury’s still out on that one.

Game time’s at 1:05 p.m. today, weather permitting. There’s no better way to kill an afternoon at the office than with a Yankee game.

Damon LF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Matsui DH
Giambi 1B
Cabrera CF
Cano 2B
Betemit 3B
Molina C

Mussina P

Categories : Game Threads

1. Haggs says:

Duncan isn’t exactly Keith Hernandez, and Giambi showed some positive signs at the plate on Tuesday night. That rocket double to left-center was a ride on the wayback machine.

Plus, Byrd’s slowballs might be just what the doctor ordered for his slow bat.

2. Tripp says:

How many more games before Giambi’s yearly foot injury kicks in?

3. chris says:

the immortal paul byrd tonight…how is this guy still pitching. he throws slower than mussina maybe even wakefield

• Jamal G. says:

I would argue Jamie Moyer throws harder than Tim Wakefield so that’s going a bit too far. Actually he’s right in line with Mike Mussina’s velocity I thought and Gameday agrees thus far.

As to how he does it? Change speeds, mix location and the ever noted distracting delivery.

4. Jamal G. says:

I don’t know about you guys but there’s something I’ve always loved about watching these past-prime veterans wheel and deal their way through a lineup. Paul Byrd, Mike Mussina and Jamie Moyer are just a joy to watch for me. Granted, Felix hernandez, Dustin McGowan and Tim Lincecum aren’t a bore to me but there’s something about these “crafty” veteran hurlers that I just love seeing them go to work.

• ceciguante says:

agreed jamal, but only if they’re not pitching (well) against the yanks. bonus points if they’re lefty, so you can drag out both “crafty lefty” and “wily veteran” from the baseball lexicon. double bonus if jim kaat announces, with personal anecdotes about pitching for many years. i miss kitty.

5. Casper says:

I’m just following the online box-score. Did Giambi intend to take that ball to left? Did he hit it well?

6. barry says:

school computers suck, can’t get gameday, feel alienated.

7. Tripp says:

The game is moving right a long. Could be over in another hour.

8. Jamal G. says:

According to Jon Heyman, Mr. Boras is looking for 10 years at $20M per for Mark Teixeria. I want Mr. T badly, but the most (the extreme most) would be 7 years. Honestly, is 6 years at $18-19M per not going to get it done? That was the contract I was hoping the Yanks would offer at maximum.

• Setty says:

I’d give him at least 6-7 at 20 per…similar to the Giambi contract but minus the ‘roids

• Pete says:

Ugh. Hopefully Tex takes A-Rod’s lead in regards to Boras.

• A.D. says:

Well they pay Giambi 20M right now to be a pretty bad 1B and not hit, so 20M for a Gold Glove 1B who presumably would hit is a flat out deal

• chris says:

There are good free agents out there – granted no natual firstbaseman whch means boras is going to get his bidding war. I think the yanks would be better served going after Dunn and maybe Burrell. I hate stikeout guys but dunn is a great OBP guy and the though of him aiming at that short porch is quite enticing.

i still dream about getting furcal (who is only 30) and moving jeter to 1st but i know that would never ever happen despite the fact that a move like that could prolong his career long enough to get the hit record

9. dan says:

So much for the 4 hour slugfest…. 3 innings completed in ~45 mins

10. Jamal G. says:

By that perplexed look I have to imagine Brian Cashman was just reading Steve Phillip’s article right there.

11. Jamal G. says:

4IP, 1H, 2K, 51 pitches, 36 strikes for Mike Mussina.

Owned.

12. Yankee1010 says:

The Yankee offense reminds me of the Special Olympics episode in the Family Guy when Tom Tuckerman says “No sign of the deaf team” and they cut to the deaf team’s room with the alarm going off. The Yankee offense is that deaf team. It’s May 8th and Paul Byrd is pitching. Wake the Hell up.

13. Jamal G. says:

Lmao at Johnny Damon thinking he didn’t get all of it. He put his head down all disappointed and crap.

14. Yankee1010 says:

That was hilarious. Damon just picked up quite the Yankee Stadium HR. He was pissed when it came off the bat. Rounding 1st he gave that “Aw Shucks” look.

15. Jamal G. says:

Yay Jason Giambi, come on man, get it going.

16. Yankee1010 says:

Giambi against Timlin and Byrd: Babe Ruth
    Giambi against anyone else: Dr. Ruth

• mike says:

Can we say “The Big Guy Cannot Hit Decent Pitching Anymore”?? I think if he can face poor, slow pitching his batspeed and confidence are great – get him anywhere else and he is exposed as being done.

It hurts to say because I like him, but me thinks his effective days are gone, and the last 300 AB’s prove it out.

17. Ben K. says:

Jaret Wright was just the answer to the Yankees trivia question. He used to show emotion, said David Cone. I couldn’t stand Wright when he was a Yankee.

• Casper says:

Agreed. I stopped going to games when he was scheduled to pitch. It was too frustrating to keep trekking up there during the week to watch him nibble and throw 25 pitches an inning.

• Ben K. says:

Oh, man. Yeah. Summer of ’06: Joe and I were at the same game coincidentally, and it was the first time I was taking my then-girlfriend to Yankee Stadium. It was about 100 degrees out in August or July and Wright was on the mound. It took him literally two hours to play the first four innings. The Yanks won, but that was when I swore off Jaret Wright. I saw way too many of his starts considering how many he made for the Yanks.

18. Scott says:

Just noticed since I’m following this game on Mlb.com Gameday…that they call Moose’s 81 mph fastball a change-up…I find that funny….Go Yanks

• Jamal G. says:

If it’s 81 MPH that’s his slider most likely that was just flat. He’s been 85-88 MPH on the heat all day.

• Scott says:

According to Mlb.com gameday, he’s throwing 84mpm change-ups and 85mph fastball, since not wathcing on tv, thats all i have to go on…

19. Yankee1010 says:

I’m not sure Abreu could have gotten that, but my God, he looks so damn retarded any time the ball is near a wall.

20. Ben K. says:

Ain’t nothing like giving up a lead four batters into the inning after getting it.

21. Jamal G. says:

Vaya Robbie! Gotta love those hard grounders, hopefully he can start rolling.

22. Scott says:

Robbie Cano……Dont ya know

23. Yankee1010 says:

Yay for good baseball. Thanks, Jose.

24. Scott says:

Demonic Damon….

25. Scott says:

Should go to the pen here….ohlendorf, farns, joba, mo

• Pete says:

Farns went last night, so he’s no good.

I’d say Ohllie for another inning and then use JobaMo for anything that’s left.

26. Setty says:

Can’t Girardi let Moose put a runner on before going to the pen? I mean come on, he threw 86 pitches…He is determined to blow out Ohlie’s arm

• Scott says:

You obviously don’t know much about Moose, 86 pitches for him is equivalent to 115 for anyone else…Ohlendorf could use the steady work….

• Setty says:

Obviously I don’t know much about Moose? If you read my post I said let him give up a baserunner before going to the pen, I wasn’t calling for him to go 8 innings at 115 pitches. Why would you want the pen to have to pitch 4 innings with Rasner and Igawa pitching the next 2 games? If you know anything about the Yankees, you know they’re prone to blowing out relievers’ arms from overuse

• A.D. says:

They want the win, and they’re carrying 9 relievers, so not everyone is even getting work (Britton for instance) Moose just gave up 3 runs, while they’d like to get 6 or 7in a W is more important

27. ceciguante says:

i can only follow gameday right now, but can someone please explain why moose is replaced after 5IP and only 86 pitches? do we really need to tack another 4 IP on the pen right now, with andy and wang not set to pitch for another 3 days?

28. Bleeding Pinstripes says:

Abreu really does look awkward and clueless near a wall. which is so odd given that he’s built like a football player and could run right thru it. Giambi is a defensive liability the offensively-challenged yankees can no longer afford. Shelly’s not much better. and i almost cry when i think about doug Mientkiewitz being banished to the pitts. but by far the biggest disappointment/bust this year is Cano. he just plain stinks. especially in the clutch. he really can’t handle it. and never has been able to. his bff Melky on the other hand seems to thrive under pressure.
    given their age, team speed, truly sad state of their defense and lack of everything on offense this is going to be a very sad farewell to the stadium. this team needs to be ripped apart and remade. i fear long, dark days are ahead.

• A.D. says:

Seems a bit overly pessemistic, although I wouldn’t mind having Any Phillips back to play 1st….Hawkins for Phillips?

• ceciguante says:

i hate that abreu is scared of the wall. talk about a difference from paul o’neill. goes to the lack of general toughness and fire i see too often with this team.

29. Jamal G. says:

Grand Theft Auto IV reached a record by selling $500 M worth of copies in opening week. That beats GTA III and Halo 3 in the same time span in which they earned $300 M a piece.

30. Jamal G. says:

Fuck it, my boy is back. Dale Cano!

31. Mike P says:

That my friends, was Ross Ohlendorf. Rock n’

32. Mike R. says:

GO CANO!!! I hope this marks the end of his slump.

33. Manimal says:

Cano is getting hot.

Speaking of Cano, does anyone get Sporting News, the magazine? They have a nice article about the Yankees, their young players, and the energy that they bring. Theres also stuff about prospects in the minors(Gardner, Tabata, Jackson) Pretty good read, definitely toilet material.

34. Manimal says:

BETEMIT joining the party.

35. Manimal says:

Those were arguably the two prettiest swings all year.(Cano and Betemit)

36. Jamal G. says:

Joba looks fucking pissed.

37. Kyle says:

Thank you Joba, come out throwing Fastballs, not messing with the Curve ball today

38. Bleeding Pinstripes says:

haha–i would say gloomy rather than pessimistic. and yeah Andy Phillips was a damn good player too.
    btw i’ve been a big Cano fan ever since he and Melky came up and injected the team with energy. i even wear his jersey to the games. which is why i’m so bummed out about him this year. especially at clutch time. (and i am very happy he just hit one!)
    but the team as a whole is lacking in too many areas. maybe guts alone can do it one more year. i hope my dimmest hope. but i hope.

• Jamal G. says:

I know he’s a fave amongst Yankees fan cause he’s been threw hardships and all, but he is not a good baseball player. He basically sucks, it’s the truth. Nice guy and all, but he is not a good baseball player.

39. Jamal G. says:

Joba Chamberlain: Fuck You and all those who doubt this shit right here.

40. joba looked like he wanted to murder someone in that inning.

41. Ben K. says:

There ain’t no love for Wilson Betemit on the YES Network. They just named everyone except for him a potential hero today. I guess he was just padding his stats.

42. Ben K. says:

Bobby Abreu just does not like the wall.

43. Yankee1010 says:

Does Abreu sneeze when he goes near a wall? God knows that *^&%# is allergic to them.

44. abreu is a little bitch.

• Ben K. says:

Alright. Don’t be too mean to him. That would have been a stellar play really.

• Yankee1010 says:

I agree that it was not an easy play. The problem is that he never even attempts to make the play. He used to just never go near the wall. Now his MO seems to be, “well, I won’t really go that hard to the wall. I’ll fast-walk into the wall after the ball has hit it, and then I’ll throw my limbs around like a retard so that people will think I gave it an effort.” A+, Bobby. A+.

45. Jamal G. says:

I can hear people bitching already about Joba’s reaction to the David Dellucci K. My one question is, WHY THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER?! Who says whether it’s right or wrong for him to wear his emotions on his sleeve. Why can’t Mariano Rivera act the way he wants and Joba Chamberlain act the way he wants?

• Geno says:

I think he’s got the fire in the belly, and it is good. I also think David Delucci had better move his career to the NL, where he’ll be relatively safe from a career dealing with Joba Fury.

• SG says:

Dellucci didn’t take kindly to it. from the AP recap

“It is what it is. If he wants to yell and scream after a strikeout, I guess that’s what gets him going,” he said. “It’s May baseball. The home run was in a much bigger situation. I didn’t dance and scream.

“If a hitter did something like that, it would be bush. It’s kind of interesting how a pitcher gets away with it.”

46. Jamal G. says:

153 minute Yankees game? What the hell?