May

Game 39: Hit a home run; bat clean-up; get rained out

I’m pretty sure that Joe Girardi is now messing with us.

On a day when it’s supposed to rain for all eternity in Detroit, the Yankees’ manager has installed Derek Jeter in the cleanup spot for the second time in his career. The last time Jeter, who has just one home run on the season, hit in the four spot was on July 10, 1999 when the Yanks lost a heartbreaker to the Mets. Mariano Rivera gave up two runs in the bottom of the 9th to blow the save, and Jeter went 0 for 4 with a walk.

It probably won’t matter much though because the tarp’s on the field, and reports from Detroit say that the game will be long delayed if it’s played at all. The Yanks could be, depending upon the outcome out of Scranton today, been saved from a Kei Igawa start.

Here’s your lineup:

Damon LF
Cabrera CF
Abreu DH
Jeter SS
Giambi 1B
Duncan RF
Cano 2B
Molina C
Gonzalez 3B

Pettitte P

*** YANKEES-TIGERS RAINED OUT***
The Yankees and Tigers are rained out today. The Yankees are not scheduled to return to Detroit but could land in Detroit on a mutual off day. According to the YES Network, the next four starters are Andy Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina and Darrell Rasner. The Yanks will skip Kei Igawa’s Wednesday start and deal with Friday when the time is right.

But there’s some bad news too: The Scranton game was postponed. So Ian Kennedy’s scheduled start will be pushed back a day, and he wouldn’t be ready to pitch on Friday. Fate, it seems, is trying to hand the Yankees another Kei Igawa outing. The Mets would go to town on Igawa though. I shudder to think of the possibilities.

Now get off the computer, and go spend some time with your mothers. It is, after all, Mother’s Day.

Update by Mike (1:35): Not only was Triple-A Scranton rained out, as Ben mentioned above, but Double-A Trenton was also washed out. High-A Tampa and Low-A Charleston both have scheduled off days, so no DotF today.

Tell your mom I said hi. (kidding)

Categories : Game Threads

1. Mike A. says:

A-Rod needs to come back. Like, fast.

2. Link says:

Apparently he wanted righty-lefty continuity and Shelly has not been hitting in the 4 spot since Girardi went to using him against leftys….it is an odd lineup but I’m ok with it and since the game may not be played at all it may not matter…

3. E-ROC says:

The one day that I get to watch a Yankee, it gets rained out. That blows!

I kinda like Jeter in the four spot. Jeter usually hits well with men on base.

4. dan says:

Mike, you might want to do John Sickels’ mock draft again if you haven’t already seen it.

5. Yankee1010 says:

If one of my Friday night tickets is used to see Igawa throw 85 mph fastballs over the heart of the plate to the Mets, I’ll kill him myself.

6. Matt says:

Games going to be either on July 24 or September 1. Hopefully the 24th.

7. mustang says:

Jeff Karstens pitched three innings in and extended spring training game in Tampa. He allowed one run on two hits with one walk and three strikeouts. Karstens threw 42 pitches. Girardi said once he is ready he would be considered as a potential starter.
    They at least have some options anything not to see Igawa again.

8. dan says:

Mom says hi all

9. Doug Q says:

You saved my life with that post. Right after I read this I went and called my mother. I live in Switzerland, so they dont celebrate the same one we have in the States. THanks again!! Go Yankees!!