Jul

Not-so-old timers set to join Old Timers Day

Nothing makes a young fan feel old quite like Old Timers’ Day. In the past, Old Timers’ had long been the purview of players I never knew growing up. Sure, Don Mattingly’s made a few token appearances, but not until last year when Paul O’Neill and Scott Brosius show up did Old Timers’ Day really hit home. This year, it’s going to be even worse. The Yanks yesterday announced the cast of characters for the Old Timers’ Day set for Saturday, August 2.

On that list are a bunch of guys making their first appearances whom I grew up watching: Tino Martinez, Pat Kelly, Jimmy Key, Graeme Lloyd, Ramiro Mendoza, Jeff Nelson, Tim Raines, Rickey Henderson, Tony Fernandez and Buck Showalter. Kevin Maas, Wade Boggs, Steve Balboni and Jesse Barfield are set to make appearances as well. If these guys are Old Timers, well, that’s just a reflections on the whims of age in baseball.

Categories : Asides, Days of Yore

1. Jamal G. says:

The only guy I can remember in detail is Tino Martinez and Al Leiter (2005 version, LoL).

2. mustang says:

“… not until last year when Paul O’Neill and Scott Brosius show up did Old Timers’ Day really hit home.”

Think about how I feel.
    LOL

3. jsbrendog says:

pat kelly? seriously? the condo?? jeez…..theyre stretching for guys now…where’s alvaro espinoza when you need him? he can give giambi mustache advice

• BigBlueAL says:

Pat Kelly did hit a HUGE HR in Toronto in the 9th inning on the final weekend of the regular season in 1995 that helped the Yankees win the WC!!!!

4. scott says:

no willie randolph

5. pat says:

no bernie???

6. Simon B. says:

You know, I don’t remember much from the individual games back in the mid-nineties (I was only about 7-8 at the time), but I remember quite distinctly the game the Yankees lost when the ball went through Pat Kelly’s legs in the 9th (I think, it may have been extra innings).

7. You know who should really be at the Yankees Old-Timer’s Day?

Eric Duncan.

8. pat says:

ruben sierra

9. Chip says:

Chili Davis!!!!

10. Bruno says:

Cecil Fielder! Roberto Kelly! Mike Gaellgo! Mike Stanley! Jim Leyritz…oops

• christopher says:

absolutly right – where are these guys – they should be there as well….and spike owens, jim abbott, scott sanderson – he of the knee high socks, matt knokes, .

geez i cant believe after all these years of watching old timers from 20-30 years ago, this is refreshing for me because i catually saw these guys play, even if they werent that good

11. Bruno says:

Randy Velarde!

12. Steve S says:

Pat Kelly’s kid is now with the Red Sox, he should be booed.

13. christopher says:

this is probably the first old-timers day that I, as a 28 year old fan, can relate to as I have memories of each playing. — bye bye balboni —WOW and Pat “homerun off blue jays to get the yanks to the first postseason of my life” kelly.

i, for one, am looking forward to this day.

these are the guys who turned this team back into the yankees and it certainly does make me feel old

14. christopher says:

moose getting closer to more wins than walks

15. Travis says:

It’s not the whims of baseball, it’s the fact that we’re all a lot older than we used to be. I look forward to seeing a lot of these guys.

16. jsbrendog says:

abbot should be here, i mean he pitched a no no for us

17. Yankee1010 says:

I thought the same thing when I saw this yesterday. My God, it makes me feel old. Yeah, I was young in 1996, but I wasn’t THAT young. I was a junior in high school. I had been following the Yanks religiously for a long time before then.

In some ways, you would think this would be sobering enough that I wouldn’t obsess over what 16 year old IFAs they signed, or how an 18 year old Montero is doing in Low A. Nope. It isn’t.

• christopher says:

old timer’s day has gotten to our generation – those of us who became fans when barfield roamed right field and bernie was a little kid with soda bottle glasses and mel hall had that obnoxious batting glove sticking half way out of his pocket to waive good-bye as he ounded the bases when he hit a homerun

what about him and louis “child molester” polonia getting an invite net year

18. Jamal G. says:

Jason Varitek’s At-Bats are comical.

19. Jen says:

Rickey!!! I guess he really is retired.

That’s only a partial list, btw. At the Celebrity Softball Game, Dave Winfield said that he would be at OTD. Man, my two favorite 80s Yankees, Rickey and Winfield, together again.

20. MD says:

where’s Ford and Berra? cant be an Old Timers game without those HOF’ers

21. dan says:

Clay Bellinger doesn’t get any love?

22. christopher says:

meanwhile – right before our eyes –

this team is for real. a good chance at making the playoffs and i really think 1 good pitcher and 1 very good bat away from being a serious contender. net year the team was getting a facelift – why not start this year and trade for some guys who can help now and in the long term — matt holiday? – unless it costs the farm

has steve sa ever made it to an old timer’s day?

• Well Mr. Burns had done it,
      The power plant had won it,
      With Roger Clemens clucking all the while…
      Mike Scoscia’s tragic illness made us smile…
      While Wade Boggs laid unconscious on the baroom tile,

We’re talkin’ Softball!
      From Maine to San Diego
      Talkin’ Softball!
      Mattingly and Canseco
      Ken Griffey’s grotesquely swollen jaw…
      Steve Sax and his run ins with the law…
      We’re talkin’ Homer…
      Ozzie and the Straw!

23. christopher says:

thanks to the M’s giving a gift wrapped win to the sox.

anyone watch prod vs. joes – boggs is on it and looks like a fool

should bsn him from any old timers day

i know it is early but i would love a thread about the 2009 yanks – holes to fill, and free agents to be targetted – who may be available, how much you think the team will spend (based on hanks comments i think a lot – 100 million maybe)

just a suggestion as net offseason should be an exciting one with all the moves to be made and those moves may start this trading deadline