Nov

Meeting notes: Giambi, Pavano, Sabathia

Just a couple of notes to take you into the Election Night proceedings:

• The Yankees have declined the $13 million option for Carl Pavano and the $22 million option for Jason Giambi, according to Mark Feinsand. There’s a chance, albeit slim, that the Yankees could look to retain one or both, but on more team-friendly terms. They’ll pay Pavano $1.95 million to buy him out, Giambi $5 million.
  • The team did not, however, announce anything regarding Damaso Marte‘s $6 million option for 2009. While it has been speculated that they will decline it, indications are that the team is looking to sign him to a different deal, one that likely spans multiple years. Worst case, they offer him arbitration and net a couple of draft picks.
  • According to Ken Davidoff, the Yankees have had “very preliminary” discussions with the agents for CC Sabathia. This is no big deal of course, certainly no bigger than A.J. Burnett opting out of his contract. The Yanks are expected to make an offer exceeding the contract of Johan Santana (six years, $137.5 million with a $25 million club option for 2014).
Categories : Hot Stove League

1. dan says:

Anyone think they’ll go more than 6 years on Sabathia? I hope they don’t.

2. Bill R says:

I wonder why they would not make a decision on marte yet go ahead and make one on giambi and pavano?

3. Mike Pop says:

Matt Holliday showed up at the meetings

4. Ivan says:

7-Years 140M for Sabathia?

• Mike Pop says:

Id rather do 5 or 6 for 140

• Ivan says:

I’d doubt he take 5 year deal. Maybe 6 though. 6-Years at 150M?

• Mike Pop says:

a 5 yr deal at 28 mill per ? lol hes gotta take that hed be the highest paid player in the league.. Arod averages 27.5 without incentives. If he turn that down its nuts

• Mike A. says:

Hopefully they’re smart enough to front load it like A-Rod’s deal. That way they pay him more when he’s producing in his prime, and less when we’re complaining that his defense has regressed to Giambian levels and he should learn to lay down a bunt towards third to beat the shift after having to quit batting right-handed because of all the knee surgeries.

• Mike R. says:

You do realize that it makes 0 sense to prefer 5 years over 7 years when talking about the sane amount of money don’t you? There is no way to financially support the argument.

• pat says:

Umm except if he gets hurt in the 4th year you’d only have him on payroll one more year instead of 3. its not the amount of money thats the issue it is the term in which you are paying it.

• Mike R. says:

You front load the contract and pay him 1 million a year the last two years. If he gets hurt in year 4 you are losing the same amount of money with a 5 year deal than you would with a 7 year deal. The only difference is how it is paid.

• pat says:

Except no matter how frontloaded a deal is no athlete or agent would ever agree to play for 1 million dollars a year. They take the 4 big money years then go sign a new contract. If you think a player is an injury risk you sign them to a shorter term deal that way in year 6 or 7 you’re not stuck paying them a boatload of money to be on the dL and take up a roster spot or whatever scenario happens. Its not really the price that is the sticking point it’s the ability to clear the money off the payroll if a player gets hurt.

• A.D. says:

what roster spot? If he’s that hurt you can 60 day DL him

• pat says:

You’re definitely right about that but the point stands. You dont wanna pay someone to sit on the bench or the dl or to not be hurt enough to go to the dl but miss a few starts and generally be a pain in the ass.

• A.D. says:

It still makes no sense, your paying him the same amount, if hes hurt who cares, its just something fans get mad at.

On top of that there is no salary cap, so that doesn’t matter and if you spread it out with inflation & the time value of money, forget about the time your paying him less per year its still cheaper.

• Steve H says:

Totally agree. I would have rather had Pavano for 6/40 than 4/40. Then there’d still be a chance we get something out of him. And CC after 5 will be 33, so if he’s still good, very plausible, now he’s looking for another 4-5 year deal. Yet if you had him at 7, you’d still have 2 more years and he’d hit the market again at 35.

• christopher says:

did i read that correctly? you would give a guy who woould be luckiy to get a 1 year 2 million contract? if he wants to stays then let him take a 1 year 2 million deal w/ incentives and maybe a vesting option for the second year

5. Mike Pop says:

Then do a 15 yr 100 mill deal on Tex.. He’s looking for security right ?

6. Ivan says:

I will say this, in concern with CC, at least the CC situation is gonna be relatively over and doesn’t drag out which is quite good.

7. DonnieBaseballHallofFame says:

Very happy that Giambi and Pavano are no longer part of the New York Yankees.

Giambi can go back to the A’s and have fun with his PED trainer buddy they just rehired.

Pavano can buy a ticket if he wants to go to another Yankees game.

The Marte thing is smart. Wait him out or work out a multi year for less $. Or just give him arb and wait to get those two picsk. Any way that works out I am happy about.

• steve (different one) says:

Very happy that Giambi and Pavano are no longer part of the New York Yankees.

neither of these things are certain.

just sayin’…

8. Ivan says:

Hey Mike, in that NHL 09 game, did ya win the SC?

• Mike A. says:

No, I got bounced in the second round in 5 games by Carolina, who went on the win the Cup. I’m about 50 games into my second season, and I’m dead last in the Eastern Conference.

EA put out a patch to correct some glitches, and one of the things it changed was the sensitivity of the stick used for shot aiming. So now instead of the shot going to the corners of the net when holding the stick all the way to the corner, it goes wide. It’s freaking impossible to score now.

• Ivan says:

Well at least you made the second round.

Nevertheless, your fuckin up the rangers.

• Mike A. says:

Yeah yeah, I know. I’m going to be in total sell mode once the deadline comes; I have to get out from under Gomez’s & Roszival’s salaries. I have like, $400,000 of cap space.

• Ivan says:

You should pull a Gearge Steinbrenner and try to get Sidney Crosby at all cost.

• Mike A. says:

I definitely have the pieces to trade, and I could make cap room rather easily, but I’m not sure how much he’d help. I need more depth; my third and fourth lines contribute nothing offensively. More team speed and guys who don’t get knocked off the puck easily would go a long way towards improving my team.

9. Joey H says:

Hey Mike, Did you see the Pete Abe live web cam blog/chat thing today? I was home sick so I got to.If you didn’t check it out I’m sure its in his archives. Is it possible for you to do something like that? It clearly makes answering questions easier and more efficient.

10. Ivan says:

If the Yanks do sign CC, I wonder what would Lupica would say? I mean he said it was alright for the Mets to Johan, maybe just maybe it could be iight for us? Nah.

11. Matt M. says:

Dimaggio’s “I want to thank the good lord for making me a yankee”

will probably transform into

CC’s “I want to thank Benjamin Franklin for making me a yankee”

…whatever, i’ll take it

12. Joey H says:

Today is such an exciting day. Lotsa Trade rumors, the election. Its a crazzzzy day.

13. Mike A. says:

The Dodgers are going to decline Penny’s contract. That’s a guy you have to go after.

• Reggie C. says:

I’d rather go for his girlfriend .. Eliza Dushku.

• Ivan says:

Freeing up space for CC or Peavy?

• Jamal G. says:

Yeah, I remembered contemplating his acquisition when I was trying to figure out if the Yankees actually needed a front-line starter through free agency (if Mike Mussina and Andy Pettitte both return).

This team’s defense severely skewed the perception of their pitching. The Yankees were the sixth-worst squad in terms of Defensive Efficiency, that just can’t happen.

• Steve says:

Anyone know why he doubled his ERA from 2007(3.03) to 2008(6.27) and was demoted to the bullpen in a year where he appeared to be healthy?

He was also very unhappy about it, and made it clear he had no intention of returning to the team at the end of the season. Doesn’t sound like he was hurt to me.

• Mike Pop says:

Def maybe for 2 or 3 mill why not right

• christopher says:

he now surfaces as another option as the “second” pitcher with AJ sheets and lowe, but he is a huge injury risk.

if he signs with a contender his health could very well play a major role in the races – good or bad…personally i wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole

• Steve H says:

Maybe we can get him, AJ, and bring back Pavano. Willis could be had too, we can recreate the 2003 WS Champions, except for the one I’d actually want of course.

14. Murph1010 says:

I thought they weren’t allowed to talk to player’s agents until a certain date. And I thought only the team free agents’ played on last year could negotiate with them right now

15. Mike Pop says:

Man Obama is raping McCain

• Joey H says:

and call me gay for this but BOY am i loving every last minute of it.

• Steve says:

Good luck to President Obama, he’s going to need it.

Estimates are he will be looking at upwards of a TRILLION dollar deficit his first year in office. CBO figures just released yesterday have this year at 550 billion, and that was just at the beginning of the recession, before the stocks crashed and credit market froze up. Next years numbers will almost certainly be much worse.

BTW-That’s deficit, not debt. The Feds take in around 2.5 trillion and spend around 2.75 trillion annually, leaving a roughly 250+ billion deficit. With tax receipts plummeting along with the economy he’s walking into a train wreck. Don’t expect him to do much his first year, there’s no money.

• Mike Pop says:

I apologize I forgot about the no political talk on this site.. I am sorry for that but I thought it would be closer

• pat says:

THANKS GW!!!

• Joey H says:

Well. I will address this once and only once. Debt all you want. You build a country from the bottom up. Vote who you want to vote for, that’s your personal liberty. But nobody can put us in anymore debt economically,socially and with American lives more than George W Bush. Or should I call him governor bush because that’s the only public office he ever legally held. Simply put, 4 years of John McCain is 12 years total of bush. Time for change this great country needs to be great again. That’s all i have to say.

• Steve says:

This recession is worldwide, not just here. Its actually worse in places like Brazil and parts of Asia right now.

• Joey H says:

I promised not to address it again unless they make some sort of a thread out of it. So if you are looking for me to go back and forth with you, look else where, this isn’t a politics forum, and out of the respect for the guys who run this site I will not engage in anymore politics chat.

• Steve says:

I’m not looking for anything. You made a statement and I responded. If you really want to drop it, then don’t reply to this post.

• pat says:

the recession is worldwide because it started in the financial epicenter of the modern world- NYC

• Mike Pop says:

I see your point but I dont agree he is the same as Bush

16. Mike Pop says:

Anyone see how Boras says Varitek deserves Posada money because when hes in the lineup they win 60% of the time

• Joey H says:

Well. It’s a total joke he says that but as an agent its your job to get your clientele the most money you could. However Tek is no where worth this money. Posada injury aside, which Posada was over paid for a catch his age, I would take him over Tek at that price and length any time.

17. Larry says:

what’s with the discussions for Orlando Hudson? and to go to center field……Is that a setup for a Cano deal? For Peavy (he added NYY to his trade list today).

• Joey H says:

No way Cano gets traded. In fact i think the whole O-Dogg thing is hogwash. Unless we put Cano in center which I’m sure cash doesn’t want to do, this wont happen.

18. Steve says:

Repeat after me

Senator Al Franken

SENATOR Al Franken.

Senator AL FRANKEN

I can just see him on the floor of the Senate. Dear Lord.

19. hoosierdaddy says:

El Duque is available.. 7th or 8th inning guy cheap pick up? oh i guess obama won.. talk about luxury tax..