Jan

For Pettitte, Wright DFA’d

While I had pegged Dan Giese as the likely man designated for assignment, the Yanks had other ideas in mind. The AP reports that Chase Wright has been designated for assignment to make room for Andy Pettitte. Wright, 26, is a lefty famous for giving up back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs against the Red Sox in 2007 when he was rushed into an emergency start. As a young lefty with a good MiLB ERA but mediocre peripherals, I doubt he’ll clear waivers. I guess the Yanks like Giese as a potential long man instead. (Hat tip to MLBTR.)

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Frank says:

I can see the Padres picking up. They have a tendency to pick up the Yankees cast offs.

2. A.D. says:

to the Mets… could fill the Shoenwiess role.

3. I thought for sure it was going to be Giese. Or even waiting to make Pettitte official while they traded Juan Miranda.

The Yankees still have 10 days to trade him, so maybe they could get something for him.

4. Ryan S. says:

I never saw Wright being anything more than a small trade piece for us and Giese is a potentially useful piece in the bullpen, so it makes sense. I thought Giese was the one getting DFA’d personally, since a 26 year old lefty pitcher just seems like the more valuable commodity. I agree with Ben in that its tough to see Wright clear waivers – best of luck to the kid, its really might be a good thing for his career since he wasn’t going to ever get much attention from the Yankees.

5. pat says:

Ug ill never forget that night. Walking down burbon street sticking my head in 4 different bars and watching 4 different redsox hit consecutive homeruns. Much was consumed thereafter.
    Sidenote- looks like everyone including myself gets a big FAIL for thinking geise was gone.

• Matt says:

I remember watching it in my dorm room. My roommate at the time wasn’t a baseball fan and he said “Has that ever happened before?” My neighbor at the time–and future apartment mate–is/was a huge Sox fan; hearing four loud screams through the walls was not fun.

6. Frank says:

On a seperate note, just heard Joba will be in studio tonight on MLB Network’s “Hot Stove.”

7. Andiamo says:

Cash probably has a trade ready to go. It is not like this was a surprise.

8. jsbrendog says:

wright for rasmus. its all but done

9. mustang says:

Well so much for the he is only 26 with with a good MiLB ERA theory.
    Peace.

10. Number 27 says:

is the news about Pedroia’s brother old news? I just heard about it. seems like there’s some pretty fucked up blood running through that douche’s veins.

11. If anyone is looking for something to do tonight, the Jeopardy Online Test for the East Coast is at 8PM. You have to register by 7:30.

12. Troy says:

Erik Bedard.

13. ceciguante says:

ha. as i was saying yesterday, sometimes it’s not about whose age makes them look better on paper. sometimes, it’s just about who’s better. giese > wright