Jan

No rest for Kevin Long

Pete Caldera at NorthJersey.com checked in with Kevin Long yesterday. The Yanks’ hitting coach didn’t kick back during the off-season. He spent a week working with A-Rod, helped Robbie Cano fix his swing during the Caribbean Winter League, visited Jorge during the catcher’s rehab and touched base with Johnny Damon too. He is also hard at work leaning the stylings of Mark Teixeira. It’s all part of the job, and most comforting to Yankee fans is Long’s assessment of Cano. Long feels that Cano is more focused and primed for a huge season in 2009.

Categories : Asides

1. UNION YES. says:

I wonder if his braces have come off yet. Show us that smile Kevin!

2. Old Ranger says:

Some have gone out of their way to criticized Kevin but I don’t see the reason for it. He went out of his way last year working with Brett, trying to have him incoroperate the lower body into his swing. He seem to be a hard worker, hopefully his hitters do better this year.

3. andrew says:

Spagnuolo to Rams.

• Reggie C. says:

was bound to happen. btw. was listening to 1050 espn radio the other day and the Giants beat reporter said that it was very possible that the G-men actually pick up another pass rusher with their 1st pick. They’d address WR in the second round supposedly. Another pass rusher … this draft has several good ones …

• andrew says:

well yea i knew he wouldnt be around forever, guess with that much talent won’t be coordinators forever. But John Fox, and now Spagnuolo, I hope they can find a good replacement for him. I guess it was a luxury to have him the few years he was here.

Well with Osi coming back, it seems crazy to draft another pass rusher unless they intend on moving Kiwanuka back to OLB, but I guess it all depends on who falls into the 20′s and what kind of value they can grab.

• Jamal G. says:

I love the athleticism Kiwi brings as an OLB; this team is sorely lacking any kind of speed or coverage ability in the linebacker corps.

• andrew says:

If a great pass rushing defensive end drops down to them in the first round, I’m okay with moving Kiwi back to OLB, but I don’t want to overdraft a DE just for the sake of moving Kiwi. Kiwi/Osi/Tuck is a great 3 man rotation at DE and they’d probably be better off just drafting a LB

• Reggie C. says:

what do you think of trading a 1st rounder for julius peppers? he wants out of carolina. its on rotoworld.

• andrew says:

He’s a great player, but I don’t think they are about to spend a first round pick on a position of strength. Tuck/Osi/Kiwi are a great trio.
            I’d love to have him, but i think the resources can be better spent elsewhere

• Matthew says:

He was/is over rated….

• Nady Nation says:

Yea, Super Bowl championship in his first year as D-Coordinator, number 1 seed in the NFC in his 2nd year, despite losing a first ballot HOF D-End, and a Pro Bowl D-End. He’s just not that good of a coach.

• Mike Pop says:

You know who was overrated? Jason Garret—womp womp womp(sadtrombone is not working)

I wanted him to get the Rams job so bad. Boys and Gmen might be fighting over Gruden, who knows?

• That guy says:

Phillips isnt going anywhere and unless Garret goes somewhere on his own he wont either. For whatever reason Jerry wont fire them. Im guessing he hopes Garret takes a job elsewhere so he’s gone and still saves face.

4. Reggie C. says:

A return to ’07 form would be a huge plus and really give this lineup some more oomph. I don’t think Cano could ever hit .340 over 600 ABs, but he’s done .305. We can all live with that…

• Brooklyn Ed says:

A return to ‘06 form would be a huge plus

fixed.

• andrew says:

Even his average from last year would be acceptable if he could boost those walks a little bit

• Reggie C. says:

The article said “huge season”. .270/.410/.300 is not a huge season.

• andrew says:

I saw what the article says, but I didn’t say “huge season,” I said “acceptable.”
          Yes, if he hit .342, or even .305, that would be awesome, but we don’t need Cano to do that and have a huge season to be a good team.

• Reggie C. says:

Nah. In no way is a line of .270/.410/.300 a positive on a good season, and another season of .270 would really drag the bottom of this lineup into irrelevance again.

Canos’ BA and OBP are almost positively correlated. A rebound in the BA dept. will guarantee a rebound in the OBP dept. Its not an exact correlation, but Cano needs to hit to get on base. The man doesn’t draw walks.

• andrew says:

A rebound in the BA dept. will guarantee a rebound in the OBP dep
              True, but you could say that about pretty much every hitter in baseball.

The Red Sox trotted out Julio Lugo, Varitek and Coco Crisp to hit 7th/8th every day last season.
              The Rays used Eric Hinkse and Gabe Gross.
              I’ll gladly take Cano’s production over those guys.

• Bryan says:

I would gladly take a 270/.410/.300 line next season. If he could get his OBP over .400 with an BA of .270 means that hes seeing more pitches per AB and taking walks. But I think that .300 SLG is wayyyyyy to low.

• Reggie C. says:

So its acceptable to see Cano mired in another .270 season as long as the RS and Rays don’t improve? Sorry but i’d like the bottom of our lineup to be heads and shoulders better.

• Jamal G. says:

It would be acceptable if you wrote it in the standard format. ;) I assume that’s what Bryan thought, that you were predicting a .410 OBP from Robinson Cano.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

I thought we were past BA. Sure, all of us would rather Robbie hit .325 as opposed to .275, but the more important thing is he HAS to get his OBP over .350.

Personally, I would rather see Robbie’s line at 275/355/450 as opposed to 300/330/450.

• andrew says:

Well yea, I think everyone would LIKE our bottom of the order to be head and shoulders above the rest, i merely said that if Cano improved slightly on his numbers from last year, it would be a good enough improvement for the Yankees to be able to win the division. Sure, if he hit .330 with a .375 OBP, we’d take it in a heartbeat, but that type of production is not a necessity, its a luxury.

• Jamal G. says:

Wait, I thought that “.300″ SLG% was a typo, where the hell did you get that figure from?

5. Jake H says:

I like the comment that Cano has hired a personal strength and conditioning trainer. I think he realized that he isn’t as great as he thought he was and is going to do the things to get better.

6. John says:

Its good that Long is doing his job even now.

Shouldn’t he also go visit Melky/Gardy and maybe Jeter?

7. ryan says:

I think swish might need some work while he’s at it.

8. RobC says:

I was at the Cherry Hill clinic were K-Long spoke. Definately a guy who loves his job. He can get his ideas across.
    I had a few minutes to speak to him only about hitting mechanics no Yankees talk.
    He signed a ball for my son.
    Only downside is that while other coaches there allow video taping of their presentations as per offical Yankees request we could not video Long’s talks

9. aree says:

yeah, gotta love long he is a true gamer.
    thanks long