Jan

Open Thread: Tex announcement coming soon

Links to the NY Post & Daily News on same day? Ewww. This little nugget of news is post worthy however, and comes from Anthony McCarron (h/t Brooklyn Ed):

The Yankees are making plans for a press conference to fete new first baseman Mark Teixeira, perhaps as early as Tuesday, according to baseball sources.

(snip)

The holidays pushed back any announcement – the Yankee offices have been closed since Christmas and are slated to reopen Monday. Multiple team bigwigs, including GM Brian Cashman and co-owner Hal Steinbrenner, have been on vacation. The Teixeira press conference could take place at the old Yankee Stadium.

Tex still has to take and pass a physical first, and that could be accomplished Monday. Once the deal is official, the only pieces of the offseason puzzle left are Andy Pettitte and/or another back-end arm, and maybe a bench player or two. Forty days until pitchers and catchers baby …

Use this as your open thread for the evening. The Ravens already took down The Fightin’ Penningtons this afternoon, while the Iggles and Vikes are locked in a back-and-forth affair. The Knickerbockers are taking on Bahston at home, and 24: Redemption is rerunning on FOX. Is it just me, or do the major Bowl games seem really late this year? Oh, and make sure you check me out at Blueseat Blogs. Dave will be back from vacation soon, so my days covering for him are numbered, but make sure you peep it anyway. He’s a way better hockey blogger than I’ll ever be.

You know the deal, talk about whatever, just be nice about it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Manimal says:

I was just becoming impatient too. Tuesday works.

2. A.D. says:

I think many of the other threads have digressed to open threads due to the football

3. DP says:

Wait do pitchers and catchers report Feb 13th or 14th? I’m not trying to nitpick, genuinely curious…

4. Ivan says:

Fuck You Allen, FUCK YOU.

5. Is it just me, or do the major Bowl games seem really late this year?

Yes. I know there’s no way to put the genie back in the bottle, but I really miss having all the major bowls on New Year’s Day. That was awesome, one of my favorite things as a kid; gorging on 15 hours of college football on one glorious day (and having the whole season wrapped up before the NFL playoffs started.)

• A.D. says:

Yeah they stretch them out, that sneaky BCS realizing how much more advertising money can be made

• A.D. says:

and Fox just looking to provide shit-ass coverage but make money.

• Good for the networks, bad for the fans. With the long, drawn out nature of the thing, I lose interest.

One of the best days in sports is the opening weekend of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. There’s a lesson football should take from that. If you’re not going to give us a playoff, make it a one-day super “event”.

I used to sit in front of the TV and flip back and forth between the Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Peach, Orange, and Fiesta all day and all night long. Now that it’s a week of the big games stretched out, I don’t give a crap. I don’t think i’ve watched a non BCS-championship game Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta bowl in 3 or 4 years.

6. A.D. says:

For those that haven’t read it many of the comments for the “Sam I am” guest blog on LoHud are pretty hilarious, that is if you enjoy someone being torn apart.

7. A.D. says:

Fucking national title game on a Thurday… college football is for weekends, and preferably during the day, I can’t day drink during the week

8. Ivan says:

You had that Sheldon Brown.

9. Ivan says:

BRIAN MOTHAFUCKIN WESTBROOK.

10. Ivan says:

Westbrook is one of the best if not the best RB when it comes to those screen plays.

11. A.D. says:

Well Vikes fans will just blame this one on Jackson

• Nady Nation says:

Why shouldn’t they? The Vikings were dealing with 3rd and longs all day b/c Jackson is so inept that the Eagles just put 8 and 9 in the box on 1st and 2nd down to completely negate A Pete’s presence. I’d say Jackson deserves a fair shoulder of the blame. He is pathetic.

• A.D. says:

Oh I agree, Tavaris Jackson blows, and why the Vikes choose to come in this season, with a team thats ready to win now, and have him as the starter is beyond me.

• E-ROC says:

Really?? What about the offensive line? What about the playcalling? The offensive line can’t block a soul. Jackson is on arse everytime he drops back to pass. The playcalling has been dubious in the second half. No screens or half back swing passes out of the backfield. Jackson isn’t pathetic either. The 49ers would welcome in Jackson with open arms as they have many question marks at that position.

What about the defense of the Vikings? The punting unit of the Vikings pinned the Eagles deep in their own territory and the defense couldn’t hold them there. Even though the defense made the Eagles punt on those possessions, the Eagles were able to establish field position that is in their favor.

Yeah, Tavaris Jackson had a bad game, but he ain’t pathetic. I’m sure he’ll get some blame for the loss, but it shouldn’t be that much because his teammates can’t execute in certain instances during game.

• Nady Nation says:

Agree to disagree my friend. Tarvaris Jackson lost his job to Gus Frerotte after 2 games. Regardless of whether or not that was too early to give up on him, it certainly says something about his abilities. I think he sucks a lot, so we’ll have to just move on.

• In retrospect, that looks like a mistake, since Frerotte sucked balls this year and Jackson has played well since returning.

I agree that Jackson should have been benched. For maybe a half a game, like what Andy did with Donovan. But Tarvaris is a much better QB than Gus Frerotte is, even with all his flaws, and the Vikes would have been better served scaling down the playbook and pounding the ball with their two-back game and giving Jackson plays he can make, like what the Ravens did with Flacco or what the Falcons did with Ryan.

Not saying he’s as good as those two, just saying there are smarter ways to run your offense than what Brad Childress did this year.

• Nady Nation says:

By no means am I endorsing Gus Frerotte, he is clearly terrible as well. But there’s a reason why the offensive line couldn’t “block a soul” today, as E-ROC put it. They had to block 9 guys on every play b/c the Eagles were both run and pass blitzing on every down, knowing that there was no chance in hell Tarvaris Jackson would beat them. I agree that the play-calling was subpar and that Childress is not a good coach, but I think Jackson is clearly a below average NFL QB.

• Steve H says:

The Vikings would be a good home for Matt Cassell next year. They would be 10x better, and pretty damn scary.

12. Manimal says:

They will get 2 possessions, but can they score on both and hold eagles back?

13. Matt says:

And that’s the game.

14. Ivan says:

So can I say Eagles Vs. Giants? I think ya.

15. A.D. says:

Eagles and San Diego. From counted out to the 2nd round

16. Mike A. says:

Haha. And now Harold Reynolds is saying it’s obvious David Price belongs in the bullpen. Hysterical.

• A.D. says:

there should be no starting pitching, only relievers

• Ivan says:

Wow just wow.

• Matt says:

I am done with mainstream baseball analysis.

• Yankee1010 says:

I was just coming on here to talk about this. I DVRed the show and just watched it. I think Reynolds actually argued that Price should be in the rotation and not the bullpen. I couldn’t believe that in the space of 2 days he argued for Joba in the pen and Price in the rotation (“he can give you more innings there”). So, the Rays, who have NO closer and a not so great bullpen, don’t need Price in the bullpen (don’t get me wrong Price should absolutely be in the rotation) but the Yanks, with Mariano and a vastly underrated bullpen, need Joba in the bullpen? I know these guys are retarded, but are the people who hire them retarded too?

17. A.D. says:

Interesting with the Eagles winning. If they had lost and Arizona had to go to NJ, they’re probably done, away from home + cold weather + G-men pass rush. But staying in the warmer Carolina weather, gives them some hope.

18. Yankee Magic says:

Do you think the Yanks could sign Sheets to a 2 year deal for around 16-20 million now? If he stays healthy that would give us one of the best rotations of all time.

Sabathia
    Burnett
    Wang
    Chamberlain
    Sheets
    If he gets hurt there are plenty of young guns that can fill in.

19. Reggie C. says:

Is anyone else less than happy to see the Eagles playing the G-men next weekend? Ergh…

• Nady Nation says:

It’s obviously not ideal, but I’m still confident. Westbrook is always dangerous, but we should be able to make some adjustments from last meeting, and our O-line should be able to push around their smaller defensive front.

20. Mike A. says:

They just finished up a segment on possible 300 game winners on Hot Stove Live, with zero mention of Felix Hernandez.

King Felix before 23rd b-day: 39 wins
    Greg Maddux before 23rd b-day: 26 wins
    Roger Clemens before 23rd b-day: 16 wins

Long way to go, but he’s got a shot. Yes, he’s still only 22.

• Reggie C. says:

Is the weight thing still an issue with Felix? I know Felix lost some bulk in ’08, but Maddux and Clemens never had weight issues at 23.

• Reggie C. says:

Did B-Webb get mentioned? He’s 29 and racked up 87 wins.

• Jamal G. says:

Give that man a blank check when his six years are up.

• 'The' Steve says:

Plus, he’s going to be a Yankee from ages 26-35, so you figure he picks up around 200 wins right there.

• Ryan S. says:

I’ll have to watch HSL and check out what part, sounds interesting. Honestly, there are pitchers playing right now BESIDES King Felix (and RJ) who might win 300 games in their career?

I’m drawing a blank. Most of the current dominant pitchers right now seem to not have a shot.

• Mike A. says:

Sabathia has a chance, he had 109 wins on his 28th birthday. Maddux had 97, Clemens 92.

• Ryan S. says:

That’s impressive. What are the chances of Sabathia maintaining his body into his 40s though?

• Mike Pop says:

Johan? Any chance?

• Ryan S. says:

Johan has a decent shot actually. His change up will continue to be very effective long after his fastball diminishes, and he’s got a good pitcher’s frame and I’m pretty sure he’s got excellent mechanics with a smooth delivery. If he feels like putting in the time, then it might be possible.

For the most part though, it almost seems like the age of 300 win pitchers is close to an end.

• Mike Pop says:

109 wins? I dont know man. Lets say he pitches ten more years, he would need to average 19 wins a year and one more year needed to reach it. Its a long shot. 300 wins is just crazy. You need to start at like 18 or 19 it seems like.

Back to the 4 man rotation!

• Ryan S. says:

Yup, you’re right. I think Johan is gonna be 30 coming into the season … he’d have to stay in the game for like 14 or 15 more years and perform at a high level for most of them to achieve it. Just isn’t very likely. Like I said, the era of 300 win pitchers is pretty much at an end after RJ retires. Seems like its going to be more and more of a special accomplishment (as if it isn’t already lol) as the game evolves.

• Mike Pop says:

Well said sir.

21. Ivan says:

Whats up with the NL East always talking shit. First it’s Rollins, Hamels, Beltran and K-Rod. Now Chipper wanna talk shit. You don’t hear teams from the AL East talk shit and the AL East would pimp slap the NL East.

• VO says:

cause the nl east sucks they need to do something to make headlines

• JeffG says:

In fairness Chipper was speaking out against all the trash talking.

• Joey H says:

I don’t remember Franky saying anything that was too over the top like the others. But it is good for the game. Make for a good storyline and I hope to see more of it. The Muts can’t say shit until they do something.

22. Ivan says:

Andy Reid sporting the Grit Beard.

23. Ivan says:

Come on Knicks.

24. Heh, watching the SNL Sports clips show on NBC… Tom Brady sucks as an actor.

As well as as a human being.

25. Ivan says:

Wilson Chandler bustin ass.

26. Mike Pop says:

I hope Cash makes an offer to Saito. He could help the bullpen and we can never have to much pitching. As far as I understand he would be under control for more than one year even if we only sign him to a one year deal.

27. Reggie C. says:

Holy crap … we’re competing with the Celtics.

28. Ivan says:

You know Greg Monroe would be terrific in D’Antoni’s system.

• Yankee1010 says:

As a Hoya, I hope that’s the case, but in 4 years. I know, it’s crazy to think he will stay that long, but I can dream.

29. Ivan says:

Clyde Frazier: “Duhon Penetrate, creates”

How do you not like that man.

30. Mike Pop says:

Lol, Chris Farley was too hilarious.

31. Nady Nation says:

Wilson Chandler FTW

32. Ivan says:

Wilson Chandler is just killin them out there.

33. Reggie C. says:

Is Wilson Chandler a potential star?

34. Jake H says:

UNC got upset by Boston College.

35. Nady Nation says:

The fact that the Knicks, in the first quarter of a season since Isiah’s departure, have:

A. Become fun to watch
    B. Are now actually respected around the league and no longer a laughingstock, and
    C. gotten under the cap for the Summer of Lebron

is beyond my wildest dreams.

36. Ryan S. says:

So if the Tex conference is imminent, it means that someone could get DFA’d as early as tomorrow. This could very well be Shelly Duncan’s last night as a part of the Yankees.

37. Joey H says:

Well I hope everyone had a refreshing holiday season. Back to the work week tomorrow. I don’t know if anyone else is watching the rebroadcast of the WS but the Rays hitters were AWFUL in the WS. Longoria, Iwamora, Pena ect..

38. GG says:

I was lookin at that schedule someone posted, why would opening night put atl in philly and not the mets? obviously, thats their biggest rival and johan woud pitch not jurjjens or whoever their ace is

39. GG says:

BC will fire the head coach if he inerviews with the Jets???haha so Boston

40. Ryan S. says:

Some rumblings about Tek and Boston working on a 2 year deal, and it seems like they might be getting him for a lot less than Tek would like. I wouldn’t mind at all if Boston brings Veritek back, he’s only going to get worse and worse. He’d make their lineup weaker, and I think that’s going to cancel out any leadership / clubhouse intangibles he brings with him.

41. Tom Zig says:

TEK IS TEH BEST GAME CALLER!!1!!111!!!!11

42. Tom Zig says:

WE ARE BOSTON, EVERY DECISION WE MAKE IS THE RIGHT ONE.

IF THE YANKS MAKE THE SAME ONE, THEY SHALL BE CONDEMNED!

43. Mike Pop says:

Lol, “SAM I AM” really took a bashing both on Lohud and his own blog. His post sucked bad but damn people gave it to him.

44. I was just reading stuff on B-R and realized we took Prior #43 overall in 1998.

What could have been.