Jan

With WBC on tap, Bernie still wants to play

Bernie Williams never really wanted to retire when the Yanks decided his time was up. Over the last two years, the former center fielder has come to grips with his enforced retirement, but in a way, he just hasn’t been able to accept that his Major League career is all but over. In a lenghty profile on Bernie, the Daily News’ Christian Red explored the ins and outs of Williams’ celebrity in Puerto Rico and the current state of denial Williams appears to be in over his career.

To prove himself ready for the WBC, Williams tried his hand at winter ball and hurt his quad. As it heals, he’s contemplating his next step. “What would be the logical next step? That’s why the World Baseball Classic is so pivotal,” Williams said to Red. “To be really honest, if I play and I start getting those feelings back again, start getting the urge and feel good physically, it can open a whole world of possibilities for me. But right now, I’m just speculating on what could happen. It’s not going to be until I play in that competition whether I’m going to be able to make those kind of decisions.” At some point, Bernie will retire. For now, he’s trying to live his dream for another game, another series, another season.

Categories : Asides

1. Bo says:

Why shouldn’t Bernie or any other athlete try to play as long as they possibly can?

I would never begrudge a guy for wanting to keep playing even if fans ans journalists tell him not to. Where do we get off?

In bernies case his big mistake was not taking that minor league deal when offered by the Yanks. Because he would have made the club easily and got 400+ at bats.

2. Matthew says:

Geez Bernie, give it up, this is becoming like Michael Jordan on the Wizards, except the Wizards were actually a pro team…

3. Adam says:

It’s just sad. Bernie hasn’t been an above average player since 2004. How 30 major league front offices can see this but Bernie can’t is beyond me.

4. jsbrendog says:

he’s like mickey rourke in the wrestler. hanging on well past his prime becaus ehe can’t give it up and doesnt know anything else in life. shame. its weird cause he has music and a family and isnt a nothing like rourke in the wrestler. it just goes to show how when you do somehting for so long it becomes who you are and defines you and once youre faced with hving to give it up it can dictate whether you’ll ever move on and be able to live a normal life

• Ben K. says:

With the slight difference that Mickey Rourke’s character in The Wrestler is a down-on-his-luck type, and Bernie has a successful music career and netted over $100 million during his playing days.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I agree with everything but this part “Bernie has a successful music career”

Without being “Bernie Williams” his music would get ZERO attention. That is not to say he is not talented in his musical hobby / interest, or found a way to be success full in it to some small degree. But saying he has a success full music career might be overstating it a little bit. The music he makes is not my cup of tea but is quality wise much better than most “celeb” musicians.

• Ben K. says:

I know you’re allergic to numbers, but Bernie’s ticket and album sales prove you wrong. Funny how that works out in more than just the baseball arena.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

Ok show me the numbers.

Your bluffing and making up things. Funny how that works out in more than just the baseball arena.

Bernie has no gold selling songs or albums, let alone platinum. Bernie has been nominated for some awards and may have even won some but in the music business most of those are paid for situations not situations that make you money.

So I call bs. Find some ticket sales number and his album number. Pull soundscan for me. Doubt you even know what soundscan is but unless you work for a major label you are not able to pull it.

You can however as a layperson find any and all info on him for gold or platinum records and there are none to find.

• Ben K. says:

I’ve worked in music. I know SoundScan. I don’t have access to the numbers. Anyway, if you’re going to toss around gold and platinum records, you need to realize that Bernie’s a jazz artist and those numbers aren’t nearly up to gold and platinum status and haven’t been for decades. It’s relative, and within his field, Bernie Williams is a success.

• Ben K. says:

For more on the success of his first album, you can read this report for starters.

He’s also on the verge of selling out the Nokia Theater in April. I know that’s a New York-based venue, but that’s well beyond the point. He doesn’t compare to Mickey Rourke’s character in The Wrestler. That was all. It has nothing to do about who knows what about the music industry. Give me a break.

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

I was not the fellow who compared him to Rourke’s character. I respectfully said something about you overstating his music success. I was not picking on anybody, and you actually started going that route.

The Nokia is a very decent sized venue and the location and the fact he is selling it out only prove my point even further.

I actually think Bernie is a very talented musician, but let us not pretend he would have degree of success had he not been a celeb.

My last point on this will be the fact that there are several contemporary jazz musicians that can sell good numbers of tickets, albums (in their various formats), and merch that would dwarf the numbers that Bernie puts up.

I am sure most on here can beat me on baseball stat knowledge but nobody here wants to get into the ins and outs and statistics of the modern music business with me and think they will win out.

5. Rob in CT says:

Man, I wish Bernie hadn’t run into that wall in 2003. I believe that cost him a more graceful decline.

He went from being one of the best players in the game to being a marginal starter/bench player pretty much overnight. That sucks.

6. sar515 says:

Hey…Mickey Rourke (in his own unlikely comeback) just won Golden Globe as Best Actor!

Hmm…Bernie competing with Melky and Gardner…I like that!

• Whozat says:

Bernie couldn’t hit anymore two years ago…and you’d like to see him in camp?

I’m glad he didn’t take the invite a couple years ago…joe would have forced him onto the team, and the Yankees would have been worse for it.

Bernie was great, but he had ceased to be a useful player for the Yankees. For someone who needed a veteran dh, he could have been useful, back In 07

• D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

The difference in acting is your physical reflexes are not as important. Timing is key in both acting and sports.

7. The biggest downside of being an athlete is that you only have a small window in which to do it (comparitively speaking, at least).

I don’t fault Bernie for wanting to play.

• Jay CT says:

Very true. They need to make a living for their lifetime, which for a superstar is one season, but for a backup player, the time is little to make that 3 year 10 million dollar deal to set up your life. And even without the compensation, they can only keep up with “the kids” for so long.

And on the other hand, if any scrub wants to play on our slow pitch softball league, I am sure he would be the best in the league. Currently, that crown is held by Steve Phillips.

8. Jay CT says:

Bern, I love ya and all, but you gotta know when to say when. It is very embarrassing seeing a guy out there just making himself look stupid.

9. Thomas says:

Red Sox just traded David Pauley to the O’s for Randor Bierd. Why the hell wasn’t Cashman in on this? He passed up a chance for the Great Randor just like he passed up Santanana. SuX0R!!!!>1111..11!8

10. Reggie C. says:

Today would be a good day for a Prospect Profile. I’m at work ….egh..

11. Jake H says:

Bernie is one of my favorite players from the dynasty years but his skills were failing that last year. He had a few stretches where it clicked still but it seemed that those were too far apart. I feel for the guy because he really didn’t get to go out on his terms but the Yankees terms.

12. Bernie Williams says:

I want to play because my albums sales were terrible, I need the money.

13. Because I don’t have a life:

Because I lack a life:

clásico mundial
    Posibles bajas en Dominicana

Jugadores como Pujols, Ortiz y Soriano podrían verse afectados.

World Baseball Classic Possible Scratches in the Dominican: Players like Pujols, Ortiz and soriano could be affected

SANTO DOMINGO — La República Dominicana perdería al menos seis de sus principales estelares para el Clásico Mundial de béisbol debido a problemas físicos, informó el domingo el gerente general, Stanley Javier.

The Dominican Republic will lose at least six of its principal stars for the WBC due to health problems, the players’ manager (I think) Stanley Javier said Sunday.

“Hay varios casos que serán analizados como son los de Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Fausto Carmona, Francisco Liriano, Alfonso Soriano y Carlos Peña”, dijo Javier en una entrevista con el programa La Semana Deportiva, del canal 13 de la República Dominicana.

“There are various cases that will be analyzed, like those of Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Fausto Carmona, Francisco Liriano, Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Peña”, said Javiar in an interview with the program “La Semana Deportiva (The Week in Sports), on channel 13 in the Dominican Republic.*

Los citados jugadores estuvieron en la lista de lesionados por períodos prolongados de tiempo en las temporadas del 2007 y 2008 y en los casos de Pujols y Peña, ambos fueron operados durante el receso.

The players cited above were on the DL for prolonged periods of time in the seasons of 2007 and 2008 and, in the cases of Pujols and Peña, they had surgery during the break.

MLB anunció ayer en su portal en la internet que hoy se pondrán a la venta las taquillas individuales para los Juegos del Clásico Mundial que se jugarán en Puerto Rico, Toronto, Miami, San Diego y Los Ángeles. En el caso de Puerto Rico, los boletos pueden ser adquiridos a través de Ticketpop y sus precios fluctúan entre los $12 y $96.

MLB announced yesterday on its website that today people could purchase individual tickets for the WBC games that will be played in Puerto Rico, Toronto, Miami, San Diego and Lost Angeles. In the case of Puerto Rico, tickets can be acquired through Ticketpop and the prices are fluctuating between $12 and $96.

Según Javier, el Clásico tiene una regla que establece que peloteros que hayan estado más de 90 días en la lista de lesionados en las dos temporadas previas no pueden participar en el torneo.

As Javier said, the Classic has a rule that establishes that players that spent more than 90 days on the disabled list in the two previous seasons cannot participate in the tournament.

El receptor boricua Jorge Posada confirmó el sábado que no jugará debido a dicha reglamentación.

The catcher Jorge Posada confirmed Saturday that he will not play owing to the said rule

Esperanzado Javier

Sin embargo, el ejecutivo dominicano estableció que la regla no es absoluta.

The hope of Javier

However, the Dominican executive established that the rule is not absolute

“Eso es algo que será analizado durante los entrenamientos de primavera y no es algo automático, por lo que nos mantenemos optimistas de que ellos estarán en el equipo”, aseguró.

” This is something that will be analyzed during Spring Training and is not something automatic, for this we remain optimistic that they will be on the team”, he reassured.

La República Dominicana integra junto a Puerto Rico, Holanda y Panamá el grupo D que jugará en el estadio Hiram Bithorn de San Juan, en la primera ronda.

The Dominican Republic is entered together with Puerto Rico, the Netherlands and Panama in group D that will play in Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan in the first round.

14. Moboy(aka McLovin) says:

If Bernie would have put down the guitar and accepted Joe Torre’s olive brance in the 2006 off season he would have still been in the big league since he hit .366 against lefties in 2006.

Now Bernie is a jazz player he now really must miss the big leagues but it’s he’s fault for thinking he could just leave the game.

15. D.B.H.O.F. p.k.a The Last Don says:

“To be really honest, if I play and I start getting those feelings back again, start getting the urge”

This is really what he should read and then realize without already really having the urge to play how can he make it? You can not half way want to to do this. I think there will be many more times Bernie will talk about playing and coming back. I think in the end he really never will attempt it because the Yanks wont go for it, and does he really want to wear a Double A Nationals affiliate uni to try to do it again?