Feb

Bud Selig, knight clown in shining armor

There is a maritime urban legend about how a captain must go down with his ship. Someone ought to tell Bud Selig that. The MLB Commissioner is no rookie to the game. He owned some of the Milwaukee Braves, bought the Seattle Pilots in 1970 to move them to Wisconsin and has served as commissioner since 1992. While some call his reign revolutionary, I don’t have nearly as high opinion, and the latest Selig news just reinforces that feeling.

In a lengthy interview with Newsday’s Wallace Matthews, Selig attemps to absolve himself of any blame in the PED scandal that baseball has yet to shed. In a completely classless move, Selig blames the players association for stymieing his efforts at securing drug testing in the mid-1990s and claims that he and his advisers felt the bat was to blame for the power explosion ten years ago. “I don’t want to hear the commissioner turned a blind eye to this or he didn’t care about it,” Selig said. “That annoys the you-know-what out of me. You bet I’m sensitive to the criticism. The reason I’m so frustrated is, if you look at our whole body of work, I think we’ve come farther than anyone ever dreamed possible.”

It doesn’t quite work the way Selig would hope. It happened on Bud’s watch; as the head of the game, he has to take responsibility for it. In a way, though, it’s fitting for Selig to say this on the same day as A-Rod‘s press conference. Like or not, these two are baseball’s public face, and every time they open their mouths, they manage to cram their feet down their throats. That is not a comforting thought for fans of the game.

Categories : Asides, Rants

1. A.D. says:

Bud Selig = Joke

• Mike Pop says:

I just don’t get how he thinks he is not to blame for anything. He really doesn’t think that he should be involved in the blame at all?

2. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Sorry Ben, but I disagree with you here. The MLBPA has been the main roadblock every step of the way. Bud couldn’t do anything unless it was collectively bargained for, and Fehr and Orza would have none of hit.

What did you want him to do exactly?

• But the Union hasn’t been intractable on steroids because they legitimately want access to the drugs and the ability to cheat, they’ve been intractable on steroids because A) testing is a privacy issue and B) they’re a union locked in an adversarial battle with management over wages.

If the owners were willing to trade other things of value (like, say, instituting a leaguewide DH, for example), the union may have been more amenable to testing. They have been the main roadblock at every turn because that’s the way a union puts itself in a bargaining position to achieve the other goals of its rank-and-file members.

• JimT says:

I don’t disagree with your assessment tommie, however, there are two points that the Union failed to respond to. PEDs are illeagal and most important they pose a health risk to their members. For these reasons thay should have stepped aside and allowed testing. In my opinion is not an issue that should have been colectively bargained.

Still today the Union is dragging their feet on testing for HGH. Enough, lets get this thing corrected.

• GaryBusey says:

So you’re saying that steroids should count as a “bargaining chip” for the MLBPA?

• steve (different one) says:

yeah, he didn’t want to risk concelling the world series. oh wait.

he’s the commissioner. if he REALLY wanted testing, he could have shoved it through in 1995 when the players were already on strike.

he is LYING right now when he says he tried to get testing instituted in 1995.

Selig in 1995:
      “If baseball has a problem, I must say candidly that we were not aware of it. It certainly hasn’t been talked about much.”

Selig in 2005:

“I never even heard about it [steroids in baseball]. I ran a team [the Brewers], and nobody was closer to their players. And I never heard any comment from them. It wasn’t until 1998 or ’99 that I heard the discussion…. I don’t know if there were allegations in the early 90s. I never heard them.”

• Chris C. says:

“Sorry Ben, but I disagree with you here. The MLBPA has been the main roadblock every step of the way.”

Oh, please!! Selig didn’t “try” to do anything until there was a public and media outcry. Up to that point, he was busy counting the money MLB was bringing in due to the HR contest the cheaters were taking part in. You really think he was “concerned” about the dramatic rise in long balls? Heck, he was busy making sure the baseballs were as tightly wound as possible…..and he certainly had no interest in raising the mound to the height it used to be!!!

Now, of course the union fought testing……but that was AFTER the cat was out of the bag and Selig felt the need to make token efforts for testing.

But to this day, if no fans, media members, or gov’t officials cared about steroid use, Selig would be making sure there was a clean box of needles in every clubhouse!

3. RobC says:

I got a kick out of the ESPN site story “Selig doesnt want blame for steriods”
    Come on Bud it happened on your watch. No excuses.
    Does he really think the players would have gone on strike over PED testing?
    That would not have looked good.
    Time for Bud’s press conference then lets end it.
    BTW Bud if you read RAB my I offer some suggestions?
    Play-off games week days 7:35pm local time
    weekends 1:35pm local
    no ED drug commercials
    regular season games general admission under 12 y/o 50c

4. Mike Pop says:

I agree with your point. It happened during his era, he should take some of the blame for it. That simple.

5. Thisisthedavid says:

Fam at least Bush said he jumped the gun and muffed up Iraq. BUSH FOR COMMISH!!! A real man admits when he is wrong.

• steve (different one) says:

plus Bush never presided over a major league team with a clubhouse absolutely packed with steroid users….oh wait.

• Commissioner Bush: In retrospect, I can sort of understand people questioning why I cancelled the All Star Game and the World Series last year, as well as sold the Oakland Athletics to China, but ultimately we got some bad intel and nobody can be blamed. You don’t run a league with the teams you want, you run a league with the teams you have. I regret nothing and would have done everything the exact same way if given the chance again.

Also, this notion that I’m about to alter the record books and declare Cap Anson the rightful holder of the career home run record is absolutely ridiculous. Having said that, all options are on the table.

• Mike Pop says:

We have to get rid of this axis of evil that resides in our sport today. I was walking out of Yankee stadium today, looked to my left, there was A-Rod and he sneezed. You like to sneeze at me A-Rod? Well guess what pal, boom your in my axis of evil.

• Bush @ the Union: If you’re not for us, you’re against us.

Bush @ fans: I abandoned baseball’s principles to save baseball.

Bush @ press: My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make decisions.

YAY!!!111!!

• E-ROC says:

C’mon now. We’re talking about George W. There is no way in the blue hell that man speaks that eloquently. Keep it real!

• GoTerpsGo says:

He admitted fault? For what?

• You never want to misunderestimate the decider!

6. Rich says:

Link:

• Fay Vincent’s 1991 memorandum had outlined his intended policy regarding drug use. It included provisions, not only for major league drug testing, but also for minor league and amateur, entry-level players to be subject to unannounced drug testing. Obviously, Vincent wanted to send a strong message to all of those who aspired to eventually play at the major league level. Selig, regrettably, swept Vincent’s memorandum under the rug, refusing to allow anyone or anything to interfere with the owners’ prerogatives in dealing with the MLBPA.

7. Tom Zig says:

Either Bud Selig was completely ignorant to the obvious steroid problem or he willingly let it happen. No matter which way it is, it is unacceptable.

8. Mike Pop says:

Some dude said he never heard of “Bolay” or whatever A-Rod said he took. This guy had something to do with BALCO. This isn’t ever going to end.

9. LB says:

Bud should just say he was old and stupid