Feb

Open Thread: Juan Cruz signs, finally

esteban-germanI wanted the Yanks to sign Juan Cruz back in early January, but alas, they never showed serious interest in him and Cruz ended up with the Royals. The terms: 2 years, $6M guaranteed with a $4M option for a third year. The Diamondbacks received Kansas City’s second round pick (because the Royals’ first rounder is protected) and a sandwich rounder as compensation, giving them 5 of the first 44 picks and 7 of the first 62. They can do some serious damage this year. You can see the up-to-the-minute draft order at our 2009 Draft Order Tracker.

To make room for Cruz on the 40-man roster the Royals designated utility man Esteban German for assignment, and I hope the Yanks at least kick the tires on him. German has been outrighted before (by the A’s back in 2004) and has plenty of service time, so if he clears waivers he’ll have the ability to refuse an assignment to Triple-A and become a free agent. Obviously, that’s when the Yanks should look at him, and on a minor league deal only. There’s no way you give him a Major League deal or claim him on waivers (putting him on the 40-man).

Basically, all German offers is versatility and a replacement level bat, although in 2006 and 2007 he was a 1-1.5 win player off the bench. He’s only played 36 innings at short the last three years, but he’s seen plenty of time at second and third. Offensively, about the best you can hope for at this point is .260-.310-.340 with maybe a dozen doubles and a rare homer, but hey, if he’s willing to come in and compete for a job, why wouldn’t you do it? The more competition the better, I say.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. The Devils already won today, and both the Islanders and Rangers are in action tonight. The Knicks are also playing down in Miami. Oh, and here’s the box score of today’s game if you’re interested. Have fun.

Photo Credit: Dick Whipple, AP

Categories : Open Thread

1. Matt says:

KLaw just posted this on Facebook…

Gerrit Cole’s first 11 pitches: 94 94 95 96 97 94 98 97 98 96 98.

Ugh ugh ugh ughguhgughguhghgh.

• anonymous says:

I still dont understand why he did this to us.

• Because, dude, he doesn’t need the money.

• Jake H says:

I know he didn’t need the money but he flat out lied to the Yanks by indicating he would sign. If not they draft that guy later, not in the first round.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Maybe he didn’t lie, maybe he made the commitment and his parents jumped in at the last minute and talked him out of it. He hired Boras as his advisor, that’s about as clear a sign as possible that you’re serious.

I understand things didn’t work out, but adding malicious intent on his part is something I’ve never seen any evidence to support.

• Mike A. says:

Good grief, get over it already. He didn’t lie. The Yankees knew going in that there was a decent chance he would go to school, and that’s what he chose to do.

Cole had every right to change his mind after the fact, and he doesn’t owe the Yanks anything. Hiring Boras is a pretty clear sign that he was seriously considering signing at one point.

• jllive says:

Seriously guys, it’s time to move on. You are not going to sign every guy that is committed to school. Plus, he was talking smack about the Yankees on his facebook page. Why would you want a guy like that on your team? He also seems like kind of a head case and look at what the Yankees did with Tabata last season. We’re better off for it.

• GG says:

Another variable which remains to be seen is what we draft with the protected pick we have from the whole situation. Only after you see how Cole and whoever we take with the pick both pan out can you actually be upset or happy over the situation.

2. Dude, the Devils’ game was fucking AWESOME. Seriously.

And dude guys, U2 is playing at Fordham on Friday. I’m so stoked.

3. Matt says:

The Natural is on. I know this thing back and front after writing a paper on this, The Searchers , The Iliad , and The Odyssey .

• I chose the wrong career path.

• How did you manage to write one paper on all four??? (unless you wrote four different papers)

Btw, I’m up to the last chapter of The Great Gatsby. You were right, the book is amazing. I’m dying to know what the end is.

• Really? I hated Gatsby the first time I read it.l Thought it was better the second time, though.

Wrote a paper on how Gatsby is a total gangster.

• Matt says:

It was one of the multiple books I read in the eleventh grade that made me want to be an English major come college.

• How hard is it to read William Faulkner’s books (I’m supposed to read some in my English class next year)?

• Matt says:

I’ve only read one. Sanctuary was incredible but also very violent. When I have time over the summer, though, I’m gonna get more into him.

• mtt says:

The difficulty of Faulkner’s books varies. When I was in high school we read As I Lay Dying, which wasn’t too difficult, but there was still enough going on to make it interesting. Two of the four segments in the Sound and the Fury are particularly difficult, but they’re worth it. One is written by someone without a real sense of time and the other is written by someone, for lack of better words, rather pretentious.
                I found reading both to be difficult, but not too difficult. There were a handful of unfamiliar words, and some very long paragraphs, but in all I found it easier to get into than some other famous difficult books.

• Keith Law says:

As I Lay Dying is a pretty easy read, as was The Reivers, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction but isn’t usually mentioned among his best works.

Absalom, Absalom is amazing but is an arduous read because of the man’s apparent disdain for punctuation. The story – IMO, a metaphor for the rise and fall of the American South – is just a knock-you-on-your ass epic.

• Hmm. The books that did that for me were Catcher in the Rye and MacBeth. However I ultimately ended up majoring in history and minoring in English/creative writing.

• Matt says:

I hated “Catcher” the first time I read it when I was a freshman in HS, then I read it again as a junior and loved it. “Macbeth” is probably my favorite Shakespeare play. He’s another one who had to grow on me. I hated him in high school but once I got deeper into him at college, I realized how incredible he really was.

• Matt says:

It was on all four; the paper was on the Homeric tradition in contemporary American film. The main characters have very similar arcs, in which they start out like Achilles–seeking fame, glory, immortality, dominance on the field, etc.–to more Odysseus like characters, in that they’re trying to find “home,” or their place in the world. I was going to post some of it on the blog, but it’s 20 pages long. That paper was my entire grade for one class.

Gatsby is one of my favorites. I re-read it for fun all the time.

4. Wish the yankees would draft some position prospects…I mean, I know we have some, but do we have anyone that will be remotely able to take over for Jeter in a couple of years, if not before?

• anonymous says:

They did draft Garrison Lassiter last year who alot of people liked. But we dont have anyone coming up in the next couple years no.

• Drew says:

Can’t Joba play SS? :)

• Reggie C. says:

you know the answer to your own question. Its a resounding no! The Yanks haven’t had a lauded SS in the system, since … DJ?? There’s actually some quality depth in the SS position in this year’s draft. I think one of ‘em has definitely got to be available when we draft. Of course, if there’s a petulant high-ceiling RHP that falls to us , the brass will probably go for the pitcher.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

The Yankee system is very heavy with pitchers for two reasons

-They’ve needed them for the past 5 years or so in both the bullpen and rotation

-Pitchers are generally worth less than positional prospects for a variety of reasons (Shortstops are especially valuable). Yanks draft at the bottom, so the top positional prospects are generally taken already.

5. Paulie says:

Mike, are you doing a review of the Show?

6. Tommy S. says:

The reason these newspapers are hurting aren’t only because of the internet, look at the newspapers that are hurting right now, they are pretty much all filled with liberal editorials. People are tired of that crap. The only people that buy into those ideals are people who are on welfare or people who are generally uneducated, with the exception of a few people who actually buy into that crap, and the majority of those people don’t read the paper. These papers have alienated their readers who are tired of such biased and one sided news. It just sucks because these papers have good sports sections, it’s just a shame that we might lose some quality sports writing because of the liberal agenda.

• What. The. Fuck.

Uh, I’m wealthy, in pursuit of a MA, and liberal to the fucking core.

My friends are the ones writing the editorials you read. Sod off.

• Tommy S. says:

You are one of the view that buy into those ideals. If everyone one was like you these newspapers wouldn’t be having these problems.

• Matt says:

When talking about intelligence, it’d probably be worthwhile to use the right version of “through.” Your logic here is also pretty flawed. You have conservative friends so all liberal viewpoints are shit? It’s one thing to disagree, it’s another thing to do what you’re doing. What you’re doing is why intelligent discourse about any issue is impossible in this country.

• Tommy S. says:

I was just writing my view on why newspapers sales are struggling and how it’s a shame for a lot of great sports writers. I didn’t think there would be such a large amount of intolerance to what I thought. Wow, you say one little thing and so many people get offended.

• It’s not your view, it’s the way you stated it–blanketing every liberal as a welfare idiot, when, in fact, that is largely not the case.

In fact, on the whole, liberals tend to be better educated than conservatives. It doesn’t mean that conservatives don’t have some valid views on certain issues, but just that your argument skills make me shocked you got into law school at all.

• Matt says:

Well, when you say the viewpoints of a pretty large part of society are all “shit,” that in and of itself is pretty intolerant. Just sayin’.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“What you’re doing is why intelligent discourse about any issue is impossible in this country.”

That’s not true. It just requires a little civility and some humility, understanding that no Right/Left ideology has all the answers.

Personally, I think Pablo has the right approach. When someone comes here looking for a fight, don’t give them what they want.

• Tommy S. says:

I completely agree, you all assume I’m a conservative. I consider myself a libertarian. The bottom line is that a healthy democracy requires a complete range of opposing ideologies. I think that liberals are wrong. That doesn’t mean I’m correct, it’s just the way I feel about things. I respect your views, I wish that people would respect mine.

• Like I said, it’s not your views we have an issue with. It’s the way you presented them.

• “The only people that buy into those ideals are people who are on welfare or people who are generally uneducated, with the exception of a few people who actually buy into that crap, and the majority of those people don’t read the paper… I’m finishing up my BS in economics this semester, and I’m headed to law school next year. Most people I know that have any sort of intelligence see right threw the shit that liberals spew out.”

I agree that healthy argument is important and beneficial. However, you should probably drop the martyr routine. You came around using insulting language (in an inappropriate forum, no less) and now you can’t act all insulted when people react angrily to you. There are ways to make an argument without insulting your opponents, and a less confrontational approach would be much more effective and palatable for all involved.

• Tommy S. says:

You win Rebecca, there is no talking to you. Even your name reflects how much better you are than everyone else.

• Tommy S. says:

You’re definitely right, I can’t believe I didn’t use the correct spelling of through. What would have I done without you.

• You know, I don’t see how a basic belief in equal rights for all regardless of gender, sex, sexual identity, race, religion, creed, ethnicity, handicap, wealth or fandom is, in fact, liberal BS.

And besides, I fail to see how anyone that doesn’t understand that a society is only as strong as its weakest member is any more intelligent than anyone else.

*steps off soapbox*

• RichYF says:

I’d LOVE to know which “law school” decided you were an adequate applicant.

• Just don’t respond to those comments. And if you’re going to respond, don’t legitimize insane rantings by responding to them as if they’re based in reality.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Dude, this is a sports site.

• Tommy S. says:

OK, I’m not going to respond anymore, this is a site about the Yankees. I just wanted to talk about why I thought the newspapers were having such a hard time and all of a sudden I have four people trying to prove that they’re better than me. I guess I should have known better. Next time I’ll keep the word liberal out of my post, it seems to offend a lot of people.

• RichYF says:

It wasn’t the word liberal that offended me. Hell, even if I weren’t liberal I’d be offended because you sound like a pompous ass. Calling liberals uneducated and poor is just silly. It basically makes you look ignorant. You attempt to refute this by stating you’re going to law school as if that’s supposed to impress anyone.

I attacked your grammar because that’s the first portion of your argument you should improve in order to stop looking like a jackass. At least then you’re more well-versed than my 12 year old cousin.

• Conservative commentators are the uneducated ones. Fucking Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh DON’T HAVE COLLEGE DEGREES! Compare with Dr. Rachel Maddow, Cornell grad Keith Olbermann, and Nobel-Prize Winning Economist Paul Krugman.

“People are tired with that crap.”

Mhmm…that’s why Barack Obama won the election (even though he isn’t precisely a liberal) and the Dems have a 59-40 majority in Congress.

“These papers have alienated their readers who are tired of such biased and one sided [sic] news.”

At least the NY Times gives the facts…even Tucker freakin’ Carlson said that! And liberals are the fastest-growing ideological group.

7. dkidd says:

brad pitt is slated to play billy beane in moneyball. revenge of the nerds!

8. Reggie C. says:

ERGH….

Giants brass talks with Rocky Bernard are “heating up” according to Rotoworld (citing Newark Star). Damn. I woke up excited today thinking Chris Canty could be the next addition to the DL. The guys on the NFL network were talking about how the G-men would easily have the best defensive team in the NFL with the additions of Bolley and Canty, but its looking like that was a pipe dream. Canty is likely looking for more guaranteed money than Reese is willing to give. Bernard is likely rotating in and out with Cofield and Robbins, so he’s going to take less.

I’m dying to know how Reese upgrades the WR position. If we sign Bernard… is there enough money left over to get TJ Houz?

• LB says:

They are still going to be talking to Canty tomorrow, so who knows if they can work something out. I know it seems unlikely, but you never know.
      I’m not too enamored with Housh, but if we can somehow get him at a bargain price, sign me up.

• andrew says:

Do you really want Housh? The man is a soon to be 32 year old possession receiver that the LIONS were pursuing to be their #2. His YPC has declined for 5 straight seasons, and his overall stats have been on a steady downward trend for the past 3. Pass.

Also, Canty was asking for $8 million per year… I personally don’t think he’s worth that much.

9. Kevin says:

I agree that it would be nice to get German, but why would he sign a minor league deal? If he opts to be a free agent its because he does not want to play at triple A for Kansas City, so why wouldn’t he try to find somewhere where he would be almost guaranteed of a major league spot?

10. John says:

anyone hear the Broncos (mostly McDaniels) tried to trade Cutler and acquire Cassel?!!!!!!!!!!

dumbass McDaniels…man i want shanny back

11. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Damn, A-Jax is FAST. He hit a line drive right back to Henn, he turned, threw immediately, the second baseman turned the DP quickly and they STILL just barely got him at first. He might have even been safe. Should have been an easy DP and he made it very close.

12. Drew says:

If you don’t love Dwyane Wade you have issues.

13. Drew says:

BTW, Nate robinson is out of control, hanging out with Tlladega Nights during the game, and wtf is that putting the gun back in the holster and running man BS? I don’t know who he thinks he is.

14. AndyNotSoDandy says:

Screw German. Sign Damion Easly!!!!

15. [...] Mike at River Ave Blues reacts to the Royal’s signing of Juan Cruz. He wanted the Yanks to move on him back in January. To make room for Cruz, the Royal’s designated Esteban German for assignment. Click through to see what he thinks the Yanks should do, I agree with him. [...]