Feb

Open Thread: The Yankees love us

The Yanks have announced who will be starting their first four exhibition games next week; allow me to quote PeteAbe:

Wednesday at Toronto: Brett Tomko

Thursday vs. Tampa: Phil Hughes

Friday at Minnesota: Ian Kennedy

Saturday vs. Minnesota: Joba Chamberlain

According the the YES Network’s site, Thursday’s and Saturday’s game will be on TV. So that’s right, in four days we’ll get to see Phil Hughes make a start againt the defending AL Champs, then two days later we’ll see Jobamania. Awesome. Just awesome.

With the exception of Joba, the regular starting rotation is being held back a week. CC Sabathia will make his first spring start on March 6th, which puts him on track to start Opening Day in Baltimore. Joba’s second spring start would come on March 5th, lining him up with the fifth spot in the rotation. No surprise really, but this kinda confirms it.

Anyway, here’s the open thread for the night. Talk about whatever, just be cool about it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Pop says:

Shit, I wanted to watch Tomko pitch.

2. Jasper says:

Jeter’s got Hammy problems. Oh no!

Hopefully not too serious

3. GG says:

Jesus am I F-ing pumped, how are Brackman and the other young studs going to be used next month? starts?

4. Matt says:

Damn you, UConn’s cable package for not having YES.

5. Hey guys, miss me?

And I’d rather everyone that’s going to get hurt to get hurt now and then be healthy for most of the season than the other way around like last year.

6. Dammit. I’m in school at gametime.

Btw, check out this fantasy team (7-team, custom scoring, H2H points):

P Yovani Gallardo
    P Jonathan Broxton
    P Matt Cain
    P Joey Devine
    P Chien-Ming Wang
    P Edinson Volquez

Personally, I think this team is pretty good. Any thoughts on how it may do (or an early read on my 3 keepers for next year)?

• Matt says:

Your outfield is a possible weak spot, but your infield MORE than makes up for it. McCann-Pujols-Kinsler-Longoria is insane.

• pat says:

Pretty sweet dude. I’d bet on keeping pooojols, cc and maybe felix or longoria.

• Mike Pop says:

Heres a team I got:

C-Brian McCann
        1b-Chris Davis
        2b-Robinson Cano
        3b-A-Rod
        SS-JJ Hardy
        OF-Ryan Braun
        OF-Carl Crawford
        OF-Jay Bruce
        UTI-Chipper Jones
        UTI-Adrian Beltre
        UTI-Justin Upton
        Bench spots-Travis Snider, Adam Jones, Nick Swisher, and Yunel Escobar. I need another 2b I think.

Pitching is weak.
        SP-Joba
        SP-AJ
        SP-Clayton Kershaw
        RP-Broxton
        RP-Kerry Wood
        P-Jair Jurrjens
        P-Mike Gonzalez
        P-Grant Balfour
        Bench-Carlos Zambrano, Scott Baker, Brandon Morrow, Carmona, Lannan, Grienke, and Ducshcherer.

• Mike Pop says:

Meant to reply this to my comment above.
          D’oh!

• Matt says:

That’s a pretty solid team. Your pitching could be a weak point, but with that offense, you should be alright. My first draft is next Friday night.

• Mike Pop says:

I dealt Miggy, Brian Roberts and Zack Greinke for A-Rod and Carlos Z. I had to get A-Rod, lol.

• Matt says:

Haha, that’s a pretty solid move.

• Steve H says:

I would continue to make trades with that person. I would have traded those 3 for just A-Rod in a heartbeat, and you got Z as well?

• andrew says:

If you would’ve traded those 3 for just ARod, I’d like to continue making trades with you
                You’d essentially be trading a late first round pick, a 5th round pick and a 10th round pick to move up 5 draft spots

• Steve H says:

Whoever gets the best player in a fantasy trade wins. Don’t forget about the replacement players on top of A-Rod. Starting pitching is overrated, Grienke should be nowhere near a 10th round pick, unless it’s a 20 team league.

• Steve H says:

ESPN has A-Rod ranked as #1 overall. Roberts is ranked #38, Grienke #87, and Tejada #166.

Please, let’s trade.

• andrew says:

I agree that usually whoever gets the best player in a fantasy trade wins, but Cabrera’s stats are only slightly worse ARod’s, and Brian Roberts is easily a top 5 2nd basemen… replacement level in the 2 leagues i am in for losing greinke and roberts would be Iwamura or Rickie Weekes + Jesse Litsch or Jeremy Guthrie… that does not come close to making up for what you gain by getting ARod.
                  With ARod AND Zambrano, yea the trade is a steal, but without him, I’d rather have the group of 3.

• Steve H says:

Ok, I blame this all on Mike Pop. I thought he meant Miggy Tejada, you thought Cabrera, and know I just don’t know.

Damn you Mike Pop!!!

• andrew says:

Yes. My bad. He probably meant Tejada… I don’t think i’ve ever heard Cabrera called Miggy now that i think about it. Oh well.

• If I were in your league, I’d say that this just isn’t fair. Your pitching is pretty good, I’d say. I like all of your pitchers except Zambrano, maybe Lannan, and maybe Duscherer. If one of those guys pans out, you’re in good shape.

• andrew says:

i’ve only done 12 team leagues, so i dont know how stacked this team is compared to the others in the league but it looks pretty solid, maybe a little light on saves though

I kept adam jones for this year, he rarely came on late last year before hurting his ankle, i think he’s gonna have a very good year

7. Will says:

Is it just YES? I’m at school and we obviously don’t get YES, and no slingbox for me. Shit.

8. Jamal G. says:

MLB Network’s “30 Teams in 30 Days” is on the Yankees. It’s showing right now.

9. Mike Pop says:

Damn, D-Wade. 50 points but his team didn’t win. Way to be a team player, Dwayne.

10. Jamal G. says:

Dan Pleasac: “The Boston Red Ros are a vastly improved team.”

Shut your bitch-ass mouth, Pleasac.

• Mike Pop says:

Joba-team player.

• K.B.D. says:

Their All-DL team will smash anybody else’s out there.

• Matt says:

I’m trying to think of what exactly they improved. Getting Saito is a plus but adding Penny, Smoltz, and Baldelli doesn’t really improve them much. And, any time you’re going into a season w/Jason Bay as your LF instead of Manny, you’re not improved. That’s not a slight on Jason Bay because he mashed in Boston but it’s just the truth.

11. McCaff says:

I’m flying down to Tampa on Saturday morning, watching Joba pitch, then flying back to new York Saturday night. Life is good!

• Jamal G. says:

You’re flying down to watch him record six outs? That’s determination, holmes.

• McCaff says:

Yeah well i fly for free, and i have nothing to do, so im going. I want to go early to ST so i don’t miss the prospects like i did last year when i went towards the end of it.

• Joey says:

Nice, at some point during the season I want to go over for a weekend and watch Brackman, Bleich, Dellin, etc… pitch, we’ll see how it works out (I live in Orlando, so it’s only like a 1.5 hr drive for me).

I wanted to get ST tickets but all home games were gone in 2 seconds and just about all away games were the same thing. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it to the new stadium sometime this season, if not it’ll be the first season in a long time.

12. K.B.D. says:

Braves sign Garrett Anderson: http://tinyurl.com/cotkep.

13. aaron empty says:

i know were all sick of the ped thing, and of the “great” peter gamons, but his latest post is really pretty interesting. it features a 40 year old piece from SI talking about PEDs in sports and baseball, check it out:

• Steve H says:

40 year old piece about PED’s? Impossible, A-Rod brought PED’s into the game and ruined the sport forever.

• YankeeScribe says:

40 years ago? You mean there was cheating in the era of Hank Aaron and Bob Gibson? Say it ain’t so!

• Steve H says:

And Hall of Famer Jim Rice, who probably only made the HOF because people thought that the steroid era was clouding his stats, when he in fact played in an era when players were using PED’s. Of course, this was well known, except to the writers with the blinders on who figure that if a story is “new”, it will be a bigger story.

14. Jamal G. says:

No wonder the Rangers can’t pitch worth a shit, their GM thinks Joba Chamberlain should be in the bullpen.

• K.B.D. says:

Well, Nolan Ryan wants his guys throwing 140-150 pitches a game. In the Texas heat.

They also threw Vincente Padilla and Kevin Millwood out to the mound to get shelled regularly. To stop the bleeding, they picked up Sidney Ponson.

I’d say the Rangers franchise might be a bit misguided in their use of pitchers, so I’ll take their ideas with a grain of salt.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, and Nolan isn’t exactly an ideal candidate to be a pitching coach. As a pitcher, on most days he never knew where the ball was going. As great as he was at striking guys out (#1 all time) he was equally horrendous in walking too many. The All Time BB leader, by a LOT. Almost 1,000 more than anyone in history.

If someone doesn’t have the 100MPH heater that he did, they probably shouldn’t take too much advice from him.

• Steve H says:

He is so overrated as a pitcher. I got into a huge argument with my boss a while back, I was arguing that Steve Carlton was a significantly better pitcher than Ryan, and he was having none of it. Then baseball-reference won the argument for me, I could slice it up a million different ways to show that Lefty was better.

• Matt says:

Nolan Ryan is quite possibly the most overrated pitcher in the history of baseball.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Nolan is either great or horrible depending on which side of the ledger you look at. If you look at both sides, he was uber-talented, remarkably healthy, and extremely flawed pitched.

Nolan’s like NYC, he’s got a lot of everything. Good and bad.

• Steve O. says:

That, and the fact that there’s just no talent on that staff.

15. andrew says:

i’m looking forward to that Yankees vs USA game the most though… hopefully they play their starters for longer than most ST games

16. Dave says:

No love for Howell or Bathgate?

17. Manimal says:

The MLB network thing was good until they all revealed they’re B-jobbers.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

They’re just trying to get noticed. Get people talking about them and their nascent network.

If they say “The Yanks are doing the right thing and I agree 100%” then nobody notices. When they say “The Yanks are blowing it with this kid” then people pay attention.

18. C. Roy says:

ugh…Watched the joba “debate” on mlb network and it drove me nuts. I could not believe not one of them thought that Joba is going to be more valuable in the rotation.

19. Manimal says:

WOW, Abreu is a good rightfielder? I’m not even going to say anything about his phobia of walls, but I will throw a stat out there. He had a UZR/150 of -23.

20. Manimal says:

LOL What rock is this guy living under? Cano had a great season last year?

21. The Evil Empire says:

MLB network = Two thumbs down

“Robinson Cano had a great year last year”
    HAha

22. Tom Zig says:

Robinson Cano! A great season for him last year – MLB Network

I am guessing they were sarcastic.

23. Pete says:

Not only do they all think he should be in the pen, but they don’t even make the only plausible argument for b-jobberism (the irrational fear that jobs will break down). They all agreed that he’d be wasted in that role (that role of course being future ace).

• 27 this year says:

yea the saddest thing is “what if our starter goes 7 innings in a 2-1 game” I want Joba. First of all, of those max five games in a year where that happens, either Mo would pitch two innings or Bruney/Marte/whoever else (Melancon?) they would only fail maybe once. Also, who ever paid over 50 million for a reliever/closer? Starters are more fuckin valuable. The Yanks have a good bullpen with plenty backup but finding a #1 is difficult. Hence, Joba.

Then again, we should just move Mo to the 8th, that way they can’t say they would have Joba considering Mo is still better than Joba. I think MLB should rewrite the rules to make the game play in just the 8th inning. All the other innings should be simulated.

24. Mike Pop says:

I still can’t believe that Baseball Prospectus has the Sox winning 98 games.

• 27 this year says:

I know, last year they had everyone having a good year except Ortiz and Beckett. No way they improve while adding no one.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

How about subtracting Manny?

And the fact they signed the all DL club shows you how worried they are about their pitching staff. Beckett started breaking down last year and Dice-K is walking way too many guys to remain successful.

What makes them think Penny will be healthy enough to be their #5 starter is beyond me. He has a bad shoulder, was horrible for the Dodgers (in the weak NL West) last year and he’s yet to have surgery. Plus, he has a rep for not working all that hard on rehab assignments.

25. Mike Pop says:

Dan Pleasac said: “I believe if Joba goes to the bullpen, it really strengthens their team and their right there.”

Ugh.

• Mike Pop says:

Also, he said that the pen does not have enough depth. I don’t know why I watch these shows.

• Tom Zig says:

While they might be B-jobbers, they aren’t as biased as ESPN. Plus Steve Phillips and Joe Morgan don’t work for MLB Network…not yet at least.

• Tom Zig says:

Haha I said the same thing. Do these people actually believe these statements or are they just trying to create controversy to get viewers?

26. Joseph P. says:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA gets a 7/10 from me. And I’m only typing this because I just finished a sixer. Please take it easy on me if the overnight post is bunk.

27. Mike Pop says:

Silence of the Lambs is such a good movie.

28. Manimal says:

I think it comes down to who is healthier, Lowell+JD Drew or Jorge+Matsui.

29. [...] Yankees infield coach known for people skills / The Yankees love us [...]

30. Manimal says:

Damn it. Here I am on Sunday night with a shit load of homework AGAIN.

31. [...] Policy « Open Thread: The Yankees love us Feb [...]

32. Mike Pop says:

What is the hardest sport to repeat in? Basketball, Baseball, or Football?

33. [...] Mike mentioned in the open thread, game action is starting a bit early this year. That’s because of the World Baseball Classic, [...]

34. usty says:

I’m pretty sure Al Leiter doesn’t appear as frequently on MLB network due to the aneurysm he was developing from being the only one making logical arguments. It was great, he’d talk and then Reynolds or whoeever would just completely ignore his statements and say something stupid and Al would just get this little twitch and look in his eye like he was going to punch someone in the head.

35. usty says:

Gah…I keep getting duplicate post errors.

36. Tom Zig says:

Get that nonsense out of here

37. Mike Pop says:

Not Ka-Blamo.

38. Monsieur, pourquoi est-ce que vous avez affiche ce lien?

Seriously, what does this have to do with Joba?

39. Tom Zig says:

It doesn’t, the more people that click the more his “city” grows. He is using RAB’s popularity for his own advantage, and is misleading people as well.