Mar

Open Thread: A long day in Yankeeland

Today has been quite the day, hasn’t it? It started off benign, but then we learned early in the day that A-Rod would require surgery to remove a cyst from his hip. This would cause him to miss 10 weeks, meaning the beginning of the season. However, that report was pretty much false on all fronts.

Yes, A-Rod does need surgery. However, it looks like he’ll put it off in favor of rest and rehab. There’s no real timetable for when he’ll be in action, but it sounds like he’s ready to play through the pain. The surgery option, as we later found out, would shelve A-Rod for four months, not 10 weeks. So while the ESPN Deportes report set the tone for the day, it was pretty much false. A-Rod is not getting surgery which will keep him out 10 weeks.

Plenty of commenters want to see him elect for the surgery so the team can have him back in the second half. Unfortunately, none among us, at least that I know of, is a doctor, so it’s not a call we’re qualified to make. Team doctors, as well as the hip specialist, have the records in hand, and decisions were made based on that. Maybe the tear is to a degree that he could make it through a whole season before needing surgery.

At this point, there’s no telling what will happen. Surgery would be a big blow to the team, but it would be a bigger blow if he gets off to a slow start and finds the pain unbearable come May. That could keep him out the rest of the season. At least if he has the surgery now the Yanks can look to a replacement like Mark Grudzielanek. But again, I don’t have any background in medicine, so I have no idea what the right call is here.

If you’re looking for something to do, you can listen to the RAB Radio Show. Almost immediately after we posted it, the news of no surgery came across the wires, so it kind of got buried. I’ll probably be sleeping not long after this thread goes up. Gotta rest up. Headed to see Watchmen in iMax at 4 in the morning. I expect to be utterly disappointed, as the comic blew me away. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to see it, though.

So this is your open thread for the night, where you can discuss whatever. Beat each other up if that’s your prerogative; I don’t care.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Pop says:

Like you Joe, I am going to see Watchmen at midnight tonight. Got class at 9 but it should be worth it.

Anything tops that pile of doo-doo called Street Fighter.

2. Jamal G says:

That’s cool, I’m actually going to the midnight release later on.

3. Slugger27 says:

what is this new twitter stuff anyway? wtf is twitter?

4. Mike Pop says:

I enjoyed this comment.

5. Heh, i got to go to sleep early, but not for Watchmen.

U2 is playing at Fordham tomorrow morning…at like 8 AM. We’re supposed to be there by 6.30….yeah, right.

6. dkidd says:

if a-rod was a watchman, what would his name and/or superpower be?

• Matt says:

I know nothing of Watchmen but I’ll venture this guess: he’d be whichever hero is the most under appreciated despite kicking some serious ass. So, I guess, in the non Watchmen department, he’d probably be Batman.

• Mike Pop says:

Steroid-mon.

The ability to disperse steroids to young, underage, innocent kids at rapidly fast rates.

7. Moshe Mandel says:

So I’m listening to WEEI today, and the hosts all agreed than Rajon Rondo will be a max contract player, a superstar, within two season. Seriously!!!

8. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“A-Rod has been able to play with this injury and play pretty well so far. If nothing changes, he could well be fine. But Boston 3B Mike Lowell had a similar injury last season that was detected in June. He tried to keep playing and by October he could barely walk and could not be included on the playoff roster.”

That comment has to worry you the most, especially given that they both play the same position and I heard Sweeney Mutri saying that diving after balls in the field could aggravate the injury.

I wonder if Cash is simply trying to buy time till the trade deadline, and then look to do something then.

• Matt says:

But don’t forget, Utley played at an incredibly high level on both offense and defense with a similar injury.

• The Evil Empire says:

At second base

• Matt says:

…which is a harder defensive position than third base?

• Old Goat says:

It all depends on where they hit the ball.

Hard to say what will happen, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Yankees make a move sooner rather than later if they intend to have him have his surgery. This could be part of the game to keep the price reasonable for a trade.

Lowell also had bone spurs which is the reason for most of his pain. Utley played through it and did fine. From what we have heard ARod felt stiffness not pain.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“The cynic in me wonders if this is to keep him out of sight till the Roberts book circus dies down. ”

How so? He should be ready for Opening Day since they’ve opted against surgery. He’ll be on the field when that book hits the shelves.

If that book has him sleeping around all over the country, that puts him with a zillion other ballplayers in MLB. If the book has him going to swingers clubs with his wife, then its nothing I haven’t heard before. But if it has him having homosexual tendencies/experiences, then all bets are off.

• Matt says:

If your last assumption is true, and people (especially those in the media) make him out to be a worse person and/or ballplayer because of it, I’ll give up on the baseball media/culture forever.

• kunaldo says:

word, matt…that’s real small…to each it’s own

• Matt says:

I just love how people in the sports world have their heads in the sand about this. We all like to joke and assume that softball players and LPGAers are mostly lesbians, yet the thought of any NFLer, NBAer, MLBer, NHLer, etc. being a homosexual is so outlandish.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Matt, I don’t think that will happen, at least not in the media. But it would be a huge story and a huge distraction to both Alex and the team.

I’m a fan, all I want is my team to win. I don’t care about their personal lives whatever they are. The only thing that bugs me is if their personal lives affect the team in some negative way.

• Matt says:

Oh believe me, I know it’d be a big story–I’d just be worried about it being a big story for the wrong reasons, if you get what I mean.

• This would make an excellent blog post.

Don’t see anyone taking it on, though.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I understand, and I don’t doubt that some will react that way. But I don’t think the majority will, or at least I hope not.

But even if some do react that way, I wouldn’t get all upset about it. These things can present an opportunity to educate some folks.

• Matt says:

Word. Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

• kunaldo says:

eh, not necessarily

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Yeah, 3B is much more of a quick-react position. Picture yourself at Third, reacting to a hard hit ball. You could definitely see aggravating a hip injury. Plus its a position where you’re diving for balls all the time, unlike 2B.

• Matt says:

But at second base, there’s much more ground to cover, more covering on steals, more turning double plays, more close contact with other players, covering bunts is about equal, more movement to the outfield….

• Steve H says:

I could see turning a double play as a 2B very aggravating on a hip. When the 2B is turning two, he has to make the turn and rotate his hips, sometimes against the rest of his body.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

That’s a good point, but at least you can control how fast you do that. At 3B, you have to react to the ball, and its called the hot corner for good reason. If he slows down his reaction time to favor his hip, he simply won’t get to as many balls.

Damn, the left side of the infield could be just brutal this year.

• dontradecano says:

second base is considered the second hardest position in the field… it goes something like SS 2B 3B CF RF LF 1B… or something to that effect.

9. So do you think the Yankees will ever learn that ten year contracts are a bad idea?

• Matt says:

After Jeter’s and Rodriguez’s run out, I think it will be a long, long time before we see another one.

• I hope so.

At least I feel like Jeter’s contract was worth it. He’s been very good, even if he’s declining now, rarely hurt, and if he does any stupid things, he knows well enough to stay off of the back page.

• Cor Shep says:

Being that they just gave out 8,7, and 5 years contracts.. I don’t think they’ll ever learn. Anyone still a little ticked about AJ for 5 long years like I am??

• Mike Pop says:

Hell na, AJ is going to win 75 games.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

The Braves offered 5. They had no choice, they either went to 5 or Derek Lowe would be our #2 starter.

• While I agree with the Artist formerl,y known as Steve, I get kind of nervous about AJ

Then again I’ve been led to believe that AJ really did want to be a Yankee..

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

They always say that. I’m just waiting for one of these free agents to sign with the Yanks, and at the press conference say this:

“Yeah, I came here for the money. To be honest, I hate NYC and grew up a Red Sox fan. Expect me to groove a few to Ortiz here and there.”

• Mike Pop says:

Trust me. I don’t know much but what I do know is A.J. Burnett. This guy wanted to be a Yankee.

Fate baby!

• Mike Pop says:

Jeter stays off the backpage because A-Rod is a Yankee. It’s not A-Rod’s fault that his personal life is all over the tabloids. Who cares anyways. The dude has mashed, I don’t care what he does as long as HE HITS THE BALL!!!!

/Cliche

• andrew says:

Agreed, ARod, for the most part, doesn’t create the headlines. The usually become headlines because the media wants to portray ARod the way they do. He hits very very well, he helps the Yankees win ball games. This is a huge loss if has to miss 4 months.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

It’s not A-Rod’s fault that his personal life is all over the tabloids.

Um, maybe if he would stop doing and saying stupid shit, his personal life wouldn’t be tabloid fodder.

And the reason Jeter’s personal life isn’t on the back page has nothing to do with Alex – it’s not like he was always in the news (negatively) until A-Rod arrived to take the spotlight away from him.

• andrew says:

A lot of the doing and saying stupid shit that you talk about ARod doing is done by everyone though. Granted, some of it isn’t, but a lot of it is. It’s gotten to the point where anything ARod says (taking shots at damon and jeter) will be turned into an anti-arod story. The media has it out to get him, and that’s something he can’t really control.

• Old Goat says:

Forgot about Teixeira already? And possibly CC if he stays the whole length of his contract?

Yes, this situation makes it tough but locking up great players for long term can mean good things to the team or they could be bad. The only way you know is at the end of them.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

This one won’t be as bad as a previous 10 year deal, unless Hank finds himself banned from Baseball as a result of it.

• Chris says:

We don’t know that it’s a bad contract yet. Jeter’s has turned out pretty well, and there are still 9 years left for A-Rod to earn his money…

10. Cor Shep says:

Hopefully Arod can man-up and last the whole season. If I were relate Arod to either Utley or Lowell… pretty sure he’s a lot closer Utley when it comes to talent and athleticism (better, but older)

11. Drew says:

Wow Mlb Network just had a piece on Manny from highschool with some cool video of the young centerfielder. Anyone else catch this?

12. Paulie says:

How about Mark DeRosa as an emergency plan if A-Rod is out? To me it seems like DeRosa is too much to just be an emergency plan but he could also be a great utility infielder and outfielder. In the end though I guess he is a starter.

13. Alex KGB says:

how many of you guys have actually read watchmen? i did a few months back. got my tix for lincoln square imax next wed.

14. Jamal G. says:

I just really like the fact that Brian Cashman repeatedly said that ARod has never complained once about pain in regards to this injury, it was always “stiffness” that’s been the issue.

15. anonymous says:

Keith Olbermann just publicly claimed this is a cover story for a suspension.

• Matt says:

There’s a reason he’s not at ESPN anymore. ;)

• Dude, Keith, I love you and all, but stick to politics.

• steve (different one) says:

didn’t that theory stop making sense when he opted to not have surgery?

what is he suspended from, the WBC?

A-Rod will be playing 3B on opening day.

• Mike Pop says:

Hmm, I was thinking(Sure I’m not the only one.) if A-Rod does indeed go under the knife, how many would like to see Cano in the 3 hole with Tex in the 4 spot. I for one would really like to see that for a little while until Cano proves he can’t handle it or maybe he mashes I don’t know. Obviously, nothing good and swell can come from the A-Rod DL time but it gives the Yanks a little time to experiment with Cano up in the order. I would much rather see A-Rod healthy(obviously) but I would like to see this if A-Rod does do DL time.

I’m getting the “Januz” syndrome with all these parentheses.(I said it)

• andrew says:

You are not alone there. I actually think Cano may improve in the 3 hole. I think when he gets further down in the order, he tends to become the Lazy Domincan™®© that he truly is, but in the 3 spot he’ll maintain focus, which is the hardest things for those Lazy Dominicans™®© to do. However, the evidence actually supports his best spot in the lineup to be the 7 hole, but he also hasnt had enough at bats in the 3, 4, and 5 spots to come to any conclusive evidence

16. Dude, guys, my dad just got my brother courtside seats for the Nets game this Sunday…

I know the Nets kind of suck, but I’m still jealous.

• billbybob says:

Devin Harris does not suck…I’d pay money to watch that guy play. What exactly where the Mavs thinking on that one?

17. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

Utley had the surgery and it was 4 months recovery time according to Neyer.

18. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Dr. Buly said it is “not unreasonable” to try rest and rehab. “But at some point you have to bite the bullet and have the surgery. It’s going to get progressively worse and for the patient, it’s pretty miserable,” he said.

A-Rod’s ability to play depends on the size of the tear and how quickly it gets larger. At some point, surgery will be needed. If it is only soft tissue, the recovery time is six to eight weeks. If bone must be repaired, it would take three to four months.

Brian Cashman indicated today that surgery would knock A-Rod out for four months, so it is likely he has some sort of bone deformity. This comes from wear and tear or some sort of anatomical abnormality.

Dr. Buly, who is a Yankees fan, said A-Rod would soon have trouble pivoting or flexing. Running, at least at first, will not be a problem.”

Swinging a bat involves “pivoting” and diving for baseballs at third involves “flexing” that area. Sounds like he should just get the surgery, and it seems pretty clear to me that’s what the Doctor is leaning towards recommending.

19. Mike says:

I’ve heard the name Figgins acouple times now as a replacement for A-Rod until he’s back? It seems like a very good fit. It would add to the gritty factor and when A-Rod is back he can play everywhere including center. I wonder what you would have to give up for him..

• Mike Pop says:

Ya, I would just love that trade in general. I was shooting for that with the Nady talk months back. I wanted to get Figgins on the Yankees somehow and extend him because of his versatility. Seems doubtful the Angels would trade him unless they get better value back. But, they do have Sean Rodriguez and Brandon Wood for the infield, so anything could be possible.

• Steve H says:

Grit does not overcome an 82 OPS+ that comes with bad defense.

• Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

I wouldn’t make a deal until I see what we have in-house. I’ve heard people bring up all sorts of variations of Tex-Swisher-Nady playing here or there. I don’t want to move more than one guy if I don’t have to. There are 2 simple options to try out during ST and see how they go

#1-Tex plays 3B and Swisher plays 1B. Tex came up through the minors as a 3B and only moved to 1B because the Rangers had Blaylock playing 3B. Swisher was originally traded for to play 1B for the Yanks, so its not a big adjustment for him. Nady plays RF.

#2-Nady plays 3B. I’ve heard he played some 3B in college and was drafted as an all star 3B, but haven’t been able to confirm that. Give him a glove, see how it goes. Solves 2 problems, the OF logjam and the A-Rod injury. Tex at 1B, Swish in RF.

I’d just try this over the next few weeks and see how it goes. The #1 option gives you a good offensive and defensive team at 1B, 3B and RF. If these don’t work out, as suggested here you go p/u a Mark Grudzielanek and live with his glove for 3 months.

• andrew says:

Well, Texiera’s defensive abilities at first probably don’t lead him to being a gold glove caliber 3rd basemen. Our defense would probably get worse using option 1 because we’d be downgrading at 1st (Tex to Swisher), 3rd (ARod to Tex) and RF (Swish to Nady), however it would definitely maximize our offensive potential

20. Steve H says:

How did Cody “Air” Ransom not get that blooper today?

And shouldn’t they convert him to the OF simply to have him rob 50 HR’s a year? Torii Hunter wouldn’t have nothing on his ass.

21. Mike Pop says:

According to a Manhattan-based hip specialist, Alex Rodriguez (hip) will eventually “have to bite the bullet and have the surgery.”

“It’s going to get progressively worse and for the patient, it’s pretty miserable,” said Dr. Robert Buly of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. Buly, an admitted Yankees fan, added that A-Rod would soon have trouble pivoting or flexing. Perhaps the Cody Ransom era is indeed drawing near.

22. Januz says:

I am certainly no physician (In fact biology was my WORST subject in college). But I think that he should undergo the surgery, because the Yankees will have him for many years to come, and you cannot afford to risk a career ending injury. I go back to when David Cone was ordered to be pulled before a start and he had an aneurysm (Thank God for that). I also think about Albert Belle & Bo Jackson having their careers prematurely ended.
    Another reason is history: 60 years ago, Joe DiMaggio had a heel injury in July, and came back, to lead the Yankees to the World Series Title. So there is precident, for doing this.

23. yankeefan91 Arod fan Rooting For Team D.R says:

i noe a great replacement until he comes back how about japan third basebam hes got sum pop i was watching the classic this morning and he looked like he could be a 30 homer guy

• Matt says:

I don’t know what the FUCK you just said, little kid! But you touched me! You touched me right here! *pats chest*

/hopes someone gets that. TSJC, you out there tonight?

• Matt says:

Speaking of Japanese players who could be 30 homer guys: doesn’t everyone always say that about Ichiro? That if he wanted to, he could be a 30 homer guy? then why the fuck doesn’t he do it? That would probably be more valuable than the way he plays now. Meh.

• andrew says:

I’d say the way he plays now is pretty valuable, one of the best lead off men in baseball.

/Shot at Damon

• Matt says:

I get that I just think if he walked a little more, he’d hands down be the best but alas…

Anyway, the way he plays defense, if he could add 30 HR power, he’d basically be Willie Mays and/or Mickey Mantle. Singles and steals are nice, but round trippers are better.

• andrew says:

Well I guess his concern is if he attempts to drive the ball more his average will take a sharp decline, and because he doesn’t walk all that much, he could end up being a .270/.300/.435 guy, and it’s hard to say whether that is much more valuable than he is already.I think at this point, he’s been succesful his entire career doing it this way and he probably wouldn’t feel comfortable changing, even if it made him a bit more productive.

• Matt says:

Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s just that everyone’s been saying that line for years now and Ichiro seems like a smart enough guy that if he could, he would do it. I also think with the power increase, the walks would probably come up because guys would be more likely to pitch around him. Meh, just a hypothetical, really.

• Steve H says:

They said that about Boggs too. Moral of the story is that they both should have juiced, maintaining their great average while hitting 30+ HR’s a year.

Juice is the answer.

• Matt says:

Oh and for a real shot at Damon, Jeter is, and would be again, a better leadoff guy.

• andrew says:

I think this discussion took place a while back and it went nowhere fast. I think most of us agree here that although Jeter may have better numbers in the leadoff spot than Damon, they will probably never be flopped due to the player’s preference and the fact that they’ve both been in their respective roles all their careers.

24. Nady Nation says:

So Pop, we haven’t discussed your feelings on TO’s release. Do tell…

• Mike Pop says:

Hey, what can ya do man. I’m not a huge fan of the decision but I’m not in that locker room during the season. People wanted him gone, I wish they made the decision earlier in order to get involved with Housh(that was a long shot so I don’t think they could of signed him) or Coles. But maybe Jerry has some kind of plan or he and the coaches like the offense as it is. I’m more worried about the defense anyways, especially safety. Need one in the draft, but it kind of sucks. I would of liked to see that offense in it’s “zone”. Would of been fun to watch. It must of been hard for Jerry to do it because he waited so long but in the end it might be the right decision. Maybe Garret and Romo get better because they don’t feel the pressure to get the ball to T.O. A little dissapointed but I like that I might be able to watch some more of Sam Hurd.

• andrew says:

To be honest, I think the ‘Boys are better off without Housh and Coles, who were both vastly overpaid considering they are both (housh especially) declining. Roy Williams has proven he could be a #1 in Detroit before Calvin got there, and he didn’t have the offensive line, RB or TE to compliment him that the Cowboys have. Yea, TO’s presence will be missed, but I think the Cowboys won’t miss him (talent-wise) as much as people think they will

• andrew says:

Oh yea, I forgot that Romo will also be the best QB that Williams has ever played with. I think the Cowboys will be fine.

• Mike Pop says:

Hope your right, man. I hope your right.

• billbybob says:

But in case Romo is sucking it up, Kitna and Williams can reunite and relive the glory days from Detroit.

• andrew says:

I am a Giants fan btw, so I’m hoping i’m wrong also. I just think that Williams will give the Cowboys an option that won’t necessarily replicate TO’s presence, but will put up some pretty good numbers. The Cowboys were a very good team last year, and only began their slide when Romo got hurt. They will still be good this year.

25. anonymous says:

Maybe Manny can get out of his contract by mid season if we need to add a bat.

26. The dude, playin the dude, disguised as another dude. or you could call me drew. says:

Nothin better than a season finale of Burn notice.

27. billbybob says:

Anybody else think Barack Obama should forget about reforming healthcare for the moment? I think he’s currently got enough on his plate with the world collapsing around us and what not.

28. JeffG says:

If Jorge doesn’t need the DH role, and we should know that by the May, I think we could think about eating Matsui, like we did with Giambi in Torre’s last year.
    Perhaps if we stuck A-Rod at DH for the season and picked up a hitter that could slide into the DH role for the next several years, that might be the most optimal way to achieve the mission statement – win the WS every year.
    The player I have in mind is Miguel Cabrera. I know he is important to the Tigers, but an auto-dying city like Detroit might be willing to shed some financial weight. You’d expect that city is hurting and unlike the NYY they are not a global brand. Would they be interested in selling their best player for pitching and perhaps Nick Swisher? In my mind Detroit is going nowhere until they improve their staff and unless they do that their expensive position players are a waste of money. Swish could also fit nicely in the vacated 1B spot.
    For this year we’d take on another 12 Mil which seems do-able considering we have already come this far.

The lineup:

LF – Damon
    SS – Jeter
    1B – Tex
    DH – A-Rod
    3B – Cabrera
    C – Posada
    RF – Nady
    2B – Cano
    CF – Gardner

• JeffG says:

by May…

• bkight13 says:

If they stick A-Rod at DH, it will be a lot easier to replace Matsui’s numbers than trying to find a 3b to replace A-Rod’s numbers. Plus it would be tons less wear and tear on the hip.

If the Yankees pay half the salary for Hideki, they may be able to find a trade partner.

• JeffG says:

If Abreau just went for 5 – we are talking about paying a lot more than half of Matsui’s contract. Not even worth trading. I think Swish could hold value if coupled with some prime low cost pitching talent.

• Drew says:

I think you’re day dreaming JeffG.

• JeffG says:

Yeah no doubt that this would be a long-shot, that said, it makes some sense so it’s a thought, improbable as a move like this may be.